Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default The Global Financial Crisis

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...08/2385893.htm

Man this stuff is getting heavy, having done quite a bit of economics at Uni, this is some pretty insane stuff. Lack of liquidity, people scared to death to invest in shares/bonds and unable to invest in fixed interest due to low rates. Stagflation back due to an Oil shortage and Food shortage and a chaos of deregulation in the US.

People running back to gold, all very very bad signs. Im just happy i moved my money into propety, but this is going to beyond all of us soon. Australia is going to cop it very soon. The US aint going to come out of this soon, especially with the government so far in debt and its houses worth 4 trillion dollars less than the money owed on them.

Cant see this boding well for our favourite car makers Ford & GM either, where are they going to get their restructuring money from when they are so sick already, and no one with anyone near the cash or expetise to buy them and the US government unlikely to have the cash save them like Chrysler in the 80s

Bit heavy for AFF i know, but this is going to hit all of use soon enough.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep. had to happen, everything took off so quickly, it couldn't stay like that forever...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, 6 months ago we couldn't decide whether to make a loan to buy shares or property.
Luckily we went property or I'd be crying like a baby right now.
I think thre's a lot worse to come yet, I just hope our banks unlike the UK and some other Europeans don't fold.
Imagine no money in the bank, living from pay to pay (I know some people are doing this already but me and the Mrs have been working hard for a long time and would hate to lose our bank).
Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford shares hit a low of $2.10.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of the wealthiest people in history's past started out in times like these, lay in the gutter and look at the mud, or look up at the stars.

These times are not doom n gloom but opportunity for those who don't run around like sheep.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aussie dollar down to $.64c US yesterday...

Old 09-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Aussie dollar down to $.64c US yesterday...
Good, give the tourism market a boost for cheap Aussie holidays. Also our exports will increase as its cheaper to buy from us than other countires, also it mean interest rates are coming down, which means real estate is going up.

Mostly good news if you ask me.

And the lower the share market goes, the cheaper it is to make more money over the next few years. :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Good, give the tourism market a boost for cheap Aussie holidays. Also our exports will increase as its cheaper to buy from us than other countires, also it mean interest rates are coming down, which means real estate is going up.

Mostly good news if you ask me.

And the lower the share market goes, the cheaper it is to make more money over the next few years. :
Lower aussie dollar is great for Aussie manufacturing.. what's left of it...

The problem is so much has gone off shore in the past 2 years that we maybe forced to pay allot more for things now that we have to import because we no longer manufacture them here.....

Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dollar is not all bad news.
But share price drop will see people holding off on retirement, selling investment properties ( again retired people who dont have time to wait for bigger capital gains and need money to live on now) and jobs will start to dry up over the next 6/12 months.

So mostly bad news if you ask me.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Make of it what you will.

fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Tis unfolding, tis not at all good. . . .
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Yep, looks like it's going to hell in a handbasket at a fair rate of knots. Already one job at work has been called off as the client doesn't want to spend a large sum in this uncertainty (large primary goods producer in Canada). Didn't the USA do the same thing as the RBA and lower rates significantly just a few months ago before all this started?

I know a couple of financial journos, who work with some senior economists. There was a hell of a lot of concern for BankWest when HBOS (the parent bank in the UK) was in trouble, guys there were taking their money out of bankwest. It seems ok now that CBA has bought it, but you never know.

I also believe property prices will fall significantly. Already many baby boomers I know have lost a major whack of their super and will need to sell investment properties to finance their retirement, there's just no other option. So there may be a large influx of property coming onto the market in the near future.

Now some would say that low interest rates means more people will borrow. But with all the banks either getting burnt and tightening lending criteria (I'm sure this will happen), or simply not having the ability to give the loan (not so much of a problem in Aus though I think), then there will be less buyers. So a large influx of property, with no-one to buy at such large prices (we have some of the most expensive housing in the world), then prices will have to come down. Apparently a similar chain of events happened after the 1987 stock crash.

Interesting times, that's for sure. Hopefully us Gen Y's might actually be able to afford a house! With 2 incomes, me and my fiancee at best could afford a nice 2 bedroom unit. But we would be struggling if one of us is out of work, and even worse when we have kids.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

This is the beginning of a massive $hite storm. Batten down the hatches people...
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The whole country of Iceland has just gone belly up... while oweing a ton of money to the UK....

From what I'm reading and hearing on the radio, we are the 2nd strongest economy in the world behind Canada...

So for now at least we are still going strong.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Just heard GM US lost 30% and Ford US 20% overnight... Thems is huge hits!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #16
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

China is slowing, less resources required.
Resource prices coming down, could the great Aussie engine room be about to throw a rod?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
The whole country of Iceland has just gone belly up... while oweing a ton of money to the UK....

From what I'm reading and hearing on the radio, we are the 2nd strongest economy in the world behind Canada...

BBC, April 2008
Quote:
But Fitch said that Iceland's banks had sufficient liquidity and were able to operate without recourse to global capital markets for "some months to come".
Old 10-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

7% wiped off ASX in early trading from a news report..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #19
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
China is slowing, less resources required.
Resource prices coming down, could the great Aussie engine room be about to throw a rod?
China can slow, their growth has been huge, even a 50% drop in their growth is still better than ours, and ours was good. Problem is Chinas is all exports, they need to work on internal growth more given their export market is now going to shrink. I dont think Chinas slowing will be catastrophic for us, probably more like drop a couple of cylinders due to plugs at the bottom of a steep hill than throw a rod. Thats my take on it anyway.
Quote:

Do you have a link to the Canada and Australia reference?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Do you have a link to the Canada and Australia reference?
Sure do! It was tough to find.. as that was the one I heard on the radio:

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...4981X220081009

Quote:
CANBERRA (Reuters) - Canada has the world's soundest banking system, closely followed by Sweden, Luxembourg and Australia, a survey by the World Economic Forum has found as financial crisis and bank failures shake world markets.
And info regarding Icelands situation...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4894904.ece

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/icela...lapse-disaster

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...0-2703,00.html

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=644712
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #21
fordnut1961
Starter Motor

i heard yesterday that China will be dropping steel buying by up to 40% on the radio,is that fact or fiction?if its true there will be a lot of Australian mines cutting back on production which = loss of jobs
fordnut1961 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #22
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Sure do! It was tough to find.. as that was the one I heard on the radio:

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...4981X220081009
Interesting read, although the US being 6.1 out of 7 kind of puts the scale into perspective. :monkes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnut1961
i heard yesterday that China will be dropping steel buying by up to 40% on the radio,is that fact or fiction?if its true there will be a lot of Australian mines cutting back on production which = loss of jobs
Speculation, note it said 'up to'. There will be a drop as demand for Chinese goods drops, people dont want to spend in this climate, how much depends on a lot of things like how much internal demand China has or can generate, and how much we can do without what they sell.

Last edited by fmc351; 10-10-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #23
*rayman*
454 Power

IMPORTANT NEWS: CRISIS HITS JAPAN

Just received this alert from our head of research:

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and the run on Northern Rock in the UK, uncertainty has now hit Japan .

In the last 7 days Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

While Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black.

Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
Barry_v
rocknrolla

haha, that was awesome ray.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #25
*rayman*
454 Power

Haha, yeah, it got emailed through to me today... seemed fitting as I work in a financial planning practice.

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I know is the ar$e has dropped out of my super account over the last 1.5yrs as it is, so I'm not looking forward to my account summary in January with the events of recent weeks. Lucky I'm no where near retirement yet, only 21 :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #27
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Well with a bit of luck the low prices will mean BHP can finally buy RioTinto, which means our pay will have to be matched to theirs, which means an extra $20k a year for me! then i can finally start saving...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #28
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
Well with a bit of luck the low prices will mean BHP can finally buy RioTinto, which means our pay will have to be matched to theirs, which means an extra $20k a year for me! then i can finally start saving...
Don't forget the extra 10k a year bonus BHP employees get. Yes, it'll be a great day when BHP take over.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #29
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Username "seefour" in the other thread was referring to the 10% drop (to 7800) in the Dow Jones on Friday morning's opening trade in NY.

The Dow has recovered back to 8500 as at 10am New York time.

This will be interesting

Daniel

Last edited by CAT600; 11-10-2008 at 02:24 AM. Reason: typo
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #30
220XR8
Banned

Time to buy more shares shortly, "buy in doom -- sell in boom" great to have spare funds at the moment....
220XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post