Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
J_Putz

Default Transmission service. Advice from my wife

I got my C6 reconditioned about 12 months ago and they left a sticker on the window saying to bring it back in for a service in 12 months/ x km's time.
I've probably only done 1/4 of the km's so I'm probably not going to bother.

It did get me thinking though. Whether I should take it in to them and part ways with the cash just in case they find something wrong. Something they perhaps didn't do properly originally and they can fix it during the service.

I asked my wife what she thought about this idea and she just stared at me for a few seconds and says "This is a mechanic we're talking about."

Lol. She's right you know.

J_Putz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: Transmission service. Advice from my wife

I'd be taking it in for a service, regardless of the k side of things. Oil's don't last for ever, even sitting, hence them putting a time frame as well as a kilometre frame on the stickers.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I always go for whatever comes first.

In my BA I changed the engine oil today because I'd gone 5000kms, but it'd only been 3 months since the last.

Whereas I changed the engine oil in my XB 2 weeks ago because it'd been 6 months, but less than 1000kms.

Best be on the safe side IMO, especially if its only be reco'd 12 months ago. I'd take it in, get them to service it, adjust etc etc - then I think you'd be safe for many more years.

(BTW I know my example was engine oil and the OP was asking about a transmission - just using engine oil as an example)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There could be a warranty clause - if you dont take it in prior to the 12 month date, it could void any warranty (if there is any after 12 months)...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my BA GT 4sp auto rebuilt a month ago, and on my receipt it says if I do not get the service done by a certain date. 3 months from rebuild, My warranty is void. Going to cost $120 bucks for a service. I think it is worth it, because it cost me $2500 for the rebuild.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
rabbit4ever
Starter Motor

I would definately be taking it back for the service depite the KM's.
rabbit4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you never know, they may find a leaking hose or something
Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

If you have to for warrenty, then go. Otherwise don't
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
RAPID_BA
Banned

You have to go now.

Otherwise if something goes wrong, do you want the wife saying I told you so, I tried to tell you bla bla bla.

Get the service done
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
You have to go now.

Otherwise if something goes wrong, do you want the wife saying I told you so, I tried to tell you bla bla bla.

Get the service done
I agree, for the sake of not having the wife nagging in your ear.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I were you I would buy the book 'Transmission repair book, Ford 1960 to 2007'. It lists every trasmission originally fitted, and has detailed instructions on service and rebuild procedures.

An auto service usually involves dropping the sump, draining the oil, changing the little filter screen, reinstalling sump, and refilling. A service kit containing all of the above (minus oil) would be available from any auto parts store for less than $40.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post