Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Those pesky hoons...

Righto...here's a prediction:
I just overheard (didn't see, I was on the net facing the other way at the computer) an advert for the local Tv news in Rocky which said in Gladstone that "three vehicles confiscated"

The time is now 5:55...I will bet that the "hoons" cars, if shown on the news, will be rusty old crapbuckets and not the sort of car people would associate with "hoons"...nicely modded and expensive stuff.

Let's see, and I'll post again after the news item has played...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 01-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Those pesky hoons...

huh...they were confiscated for licence infringements...how about that...

I'm sure earlier I heard "hoon"...
Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id say youre on the money,
''most'' pictures of conviscated cars ive seen have been absolute heaps with a redbook value of 3 big mac meals
rusty 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll admit i was wrong in this case...it was licencing stuff like expired licences and no licence.

However, you can't blame me for being cynical...last time the Rocky police loudly proclaimed they'd impounded about seven "hoons" cars and put a view of the impound yard in the local paper, they were rusty stuff like an old VN with steelies, a lowered Hilux ute, and an old Camry or two plus a Hyundai and others. Nothing worth more than perhaps $2000 in the lot of them...
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
..they were rusty stuff like an old VN with steelies, a lowered Hilux ute, and an old Camry or two plus a Hyundai and others. Nothing worth more than perhaps $2000 in the lot of them...

The majority of cars I've seen "Hooning" have been (sorry to bash you lot but...) P plate commodores (VL - VT), P platers in their work utes and finally P platers in their little rice buckets who think "handbrakies" were invented yesterday... and must try and do them on every section of road...... that even remotely resembles a corner.....

However this doesn't fit into the media's ideology of "hoonzOMG!".

Compared to some fluro yellow Skyline on 22" blingasbro chrome rims with illegal window tint.... it kinda kills the media's chubby when they turn up to a VN commodore with 4 mismatching panels, 1 hubcap and half an interior.

I've spent close to $30,000 on my obsession and that's only been in the last 3 years, and it ***** me to tears when I get slammed by people for driving a "hoon" car. Just because I drive a V8 doesn't mean I'm a hoon. Just because my car is lower, louder and has bigger wheels than your Camry doesn't mean I'm a hoon.

The majority of "hoon" cars the media would make you believe are out there, are slim to none. The majority of hoons are just kids being kids... testing the limits.

For the rest of us who actually enjoy doing up our pride and joy, who spend countless hours researching, modifying, cleaning, painting and polishing, even just staring at the damn thing and not driving like a spanner.... it's the raw end of the stick.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 01-08-2011 at 07:36 PM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a hoon yesterday .. Blantant disregard for human life by driving perpendicular across four lanes of traffic and stopping across two lanes causing traffic to screech to a halt. I thought the truck at the rear was going to clean them all up.
The driver just sat there until they were ready then drove off.
I should report that 90yo woman in that white Camry to the hoon hotline ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a Green P Plater that used to have a crapbox i completely agree.

When i bought my first decent car, i valued it alot more.

I do miss the thrashing of my oldshitheap Toyota Cressida.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
huh...they were confiscated for licence infringements...how about that...

I'm sure earlier I heard "hoon"...
i heard it on the radio this morning.

hoons running riot in gladstone. unlicenced etc and one guy was DUI = 0.2somthing. should have been flat out finding the steering wheel never mind driving like a hoon.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
WMD351
Size it up

It's better in Victoria, just about everything is classed as hooning.
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content...ument_id=32184
Quote:
The news gets worse for dangerous drivers, with the range of hoon offences also increasing to include repeat drink, drug and unlicensed driving, as well as overloading a vehicle with passengers.
I think they're keen to add mobile phone use to the list as well.
I don't have a problem with the above cases, but it's a shame we're all being lumped together and labeled with this one size fits all BS derogatory tag just so that the torch bearing pitchfork wielding yokel masses can have a whipping boy to persecute.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just hoon when the cops arnt looking then
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
Rambunctious

Just remember this, the media do not report the news, they CREATE the news.

Sensationalism sells advertising, drab news reports do not.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
I don't have a problem with the above cases, but it's a shame we're all being lumped together and labeled with this one size fits all BS derogatory tag just so that the torch bearing pitchfork wielding yokel masses can have a whipping boy to persecute.
Almost anything in Vic that is again road rules is classed as "Hooning"
In the Herald sun a week or 2 back there was an article on the 2nd page about drink divers, people mildly speeding and something else being "hoons"

It's still a word thrown at anyone that steps into a car and does the wrong thing in any way.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even better a couple of weeks ago when they caught a guy for hooning and the reason they caught him he fell asleep at the wheel at the lights (was unlicenced and unregistered but that was after the fact).should make hooning a religion and then go them for discrination,prejudice
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These days picking your nose while driving is hooning
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i guess having a car aint 'kool' anymore since everyone has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
These days picking your nose while driving is hooning
These days driving is hooning.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #16
kpcart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
The majority of cars I've seen "Hooning" have been (sorry to bash you lot but...) P plate commodores (VL - VT), P platers in their work utes and finally P platers in their little rice buckets who think "handbrakies" were invented yesterday... and must try and do them on every section of road...... that even remotely resembles a corner.....

Compared to some fluro yellow Skyline on 22" blingasbro chrome rims with illegal window tint.... it kinda kills the media's chubby when they turn up to a VN commodore with 4 mismatching panels, 1 hubcap and half an interior.

I've spent close to $30,000 on my obsession and that's only been in the last 3 years, and it ***** me to tears when I get slammed by people for driving a "hoon" car. Just because I drive a V8 doesn't mean I'm a hoon. Just because my car is lower, louder and has bigger wheels than your Camry doesn't mean I'm a hoon.

The majority of "hoon" cars the media would make you believe are out there, are slim to none. The majority of hoons are just kids being kids... testing the limits.

For the rest of us who actually enjoy doing up our pride and joy, who spend countless hours researching, modifying, cleaning, painting and polishing, even just staring at the damn thing and not driving like a spanner.... it's the raw end of the stick.
dont tell me you drive it 100% of the time in the speed limit and road rules. you have to admit guys that mod cars, do it because they like speed and driving cars hard, and they want to make their cars louder and faster. they fit "hoon" more then any other road user.
honestly, who makes their car go faster by spending $30,000 to then drive sedatly at 60km/h everywhere?
i have never heard of a modified car, where it wasnt modified to "go faster", espcially if $30,000 is spent on it. and why would someone make there car go faster, without then driving it faster??

guys modding their cars, "their pride and joy" - most of them send out bad messages to the community, either by the way they drive when they floor their "pride and joy" from the lights to stay ahead of other cars, just to feel some sort of "pride" or just by the way they do the mods - ie, lowered and amplified - to be intimidating to others. if anyone is to get that label of "hoon", its people like you that - im sorry, but thats common sense, dont deny it - who would you rather label a hoon, someone that spent $30,000 to make their car go fast, and then drives around in a lowered, loud intimidating machine, blasting off from the lights when any semi-fast looking car lines up next to it, or someone driving a $2000 toyota corolla with factory mufflers?

their is a really classist attitude with hooning in australia. when a ferrari gets caught doing 190km/h most motoring affectionados will straight away defend the ferrari driver, saying it is "safe" and other excuses, but when a p plater does 190km/h it is the worst case of hooning. to me, they are all the same. i can see you are a bit classist like that, implying most hoons are kids being kids, and then turning a blind eye to when you gut your car u to 160km/h when other cars arnt around.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #17
Lisamv
Starter Motor

i really hate this word - "hoon".....

people are lumped in and called names in all types of societies, and it aways causes crap fights and pointing fingers, like he's better than him coz his car is worth more....

its how you drive your car that matters... everything that moves is a deadly weapon, and these "hoon" laws are there to try and keep the roads safe for all of us, be you hoon or nonhoon....

i myself can say i have been guilty of hooning, and i can (I'm sure) say that 99% of the population can say the same thing..

i have never driven a "******* pile of rust" as my first car was a very neat immaculate condition N14 but yes i pushed it, i lowered it, i had wheels put on it and a huge exhaust... i was raised around cars, and was taught to respect them, and past of that respect was to use them to their full capacity in a safe manner in an isolated space meant for it ( i.e. a racetrack)..

i have driven cars worth over $150k and ones worth 2k, ones that do 10sec quarter mile and yes i took off from the lights in a burst, does that make me a hoon? when i hit the speed limit i slowed and drove at the regulated speed, just coz i choose to waste my petrol taking off quick does that make me a hoon?

there will always be "classist: people out there,its how society is, but i still think driving that fast in a non controlled environment is just pathetic, no mater how $$ your car is...

and if you want to spend $30k on your car, good on you, be proud to drive it and show it off!! well done for working hard and earning your way in life, screw people who will label you for spending your money how you want!!
Lisamv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
d.
Why you bother coming in here and posting has me beat. I probably have spent $90,000 modifying my car so does that make me 3 times more of a hoon than grandpa au? You don't get it and not explaining it to you.

Could you link me to the media report where a Ferrari was reported as 'safely' doing over 190k's?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
yep sounds like WA too. they put eveything down as hooning now, unlicenced car to driver etc and the list of whats classed as a hoon is growing every day
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
*ignorant post*

I agree with auslandau. Why are you here at all?

But seriously the media claims doing 1km/h through a stop sign is hooning.
Turning off your indicator halfway through a lane changing is hooning.
Accelerating your car up to 3000rpm on the highway merge is hooning.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #21
MAD
Petro-sexual

As I've always said,

there's "hooning"; giving it a bit of stick maybe breaking a couple of road rules but being VERY aware of what is around you.

Then there's "driving like an absolute spanner" (as it was called earlier); doing 160+ km/h with 6 people in the car while drunk and unlicensed in an unregistered car.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My face when people think they have NEVER 'hooned' and then call all the other people 'hoons'.

ANYONE WHO DRIVES A CAR IS A HOON

God sake its like the elections all over again.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #23
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really hate it when people think just because you have a modded car, you are automatically a hoon.
What a crock seriously, it's like saying I'm a mastermind computer hacker because I have spent $3000 on building my own custom computer that is CAPABLE of password cracking, it doesn't mean I bloody do it!

To kpderp's post above, I find a crummy old (Most likely un-roadworthy) Corolla that's hooning more intimidating than a $50,000 BMW or GT-P or something similar, because the person driving it knows it's a POS and will drive it carelessly like one, not caring if they crash/cause crashes.

My face when I actually DO see a crummy POS car hooning:

|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #24
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Why you bother coming in here and posting has me beat. I probably have spent $90,000 modifying my car so does that make me 3 times more of a hoon than grandpa au? You don't get it and not explaining it to you.

Could you link me to the media report where a Ferrari was reported as 'safely' doing over 190k's?
John laws got off Scott free doing that speed in his bentley as it was made to do it on the f3
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I was about to post up, but read your post and figured no need to repeat it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Not wanting to add too much fuel to the fire and I realize this thread is doomed...but I seem to remember Singo getting pinged near Mittagong a while back for going 170km/h+ and successfully arguing in court that his Bentley was safe to do so...

Should he have been doing that? No.

Does that make him a hoon? No.

Think.

So called "Hooning Laws" are intended to try and stop the real ratbags and numptys from volunteering Darwin Award Candidate Status and taking a few innocent people with them in the process. I suspect without them [the laws] the cops would have a real hard time nabbing the ones who truly deserve to be nabbed.

What is unfortunate is that the media trip over themselves to create interest in something that gives them credibility and hence ratings / viewer interest and people then are incorrectly labelled as hoons, but; the damage has been done by then.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #27
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:

You are pretty much on the money. Being a P Plater does not instantly make you a hoon. Anyone who thinks that really needs to get out a bit more. Having said that; some P Platers forget they have a P Plate on and they get noticed because of that. As you have said kids will test limits, that's part of being a kid.

I've seen plenty of full licence holders of all ages driving and actilng like a 'Hoon' - some get what they deserve and some get away with it. Some actually drive / behave much worse.

P Platers are easy targets because they are high profile (as I have said before: a P Plate says LOOK AT ME)

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #28
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I spent over 4K on the subaru. Still is considered a pos. Theres P plates on it. Assumptions are made instantly. They dont know that im actually fixing it up (truth be told not anymore, looking to get rid of it since i dont need it). I dont even thrash it.

Society fails. Epically.

Ill be buying myself a Sprinter to do up which ill be taking to the TRACK.
But when i legally drive it on the roads its assumed im one of those ************* P plate ''hoon's''. Gotta love this place.

Subaru Outback '02

Last edited by wulos; 09-08-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary pottymouthing
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I'm on the road it is normally the nice immaculately looking cars that drive complacently, and the damaged or dirty cars that are driving stupidly (which probably explains the damage). Whereas the owners of the nice cars obviously take the time and effort to look after their pride and joy therefore are not going to risk it by driving like a hero.

Well that's the pattern I see.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #30
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
When I'm on the road it is normally the nice immaculately looking cars that drive complacently, and the damaged or dirty cars that are driving stupidly (which probably explains the damage). Whereas the owners of the nice cars obviously take the time and effort to look after their pride and joy therefore are not going to risk it by driving like a hero.

Well that's the pattern I see.
I see a similar patter but with a slight twist. I often notice the newer cars driving atleast 10km/h under the limit. I'm not sure if this is because of the ADR change in 2004, preventing speedometers from reading slow, or people driving newer cars that have better NVH levels, and not really paying attention to whats going on outside of their little armchair. The older cars seem to maintain traffic flow fairly well.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post