Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default some people should be banned for life

I was gob smacked when In read this http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/austral...ht-at-144-kph/ most of us have been guilty of speeding at times ( in a safe roadworthy car) but this is just plain stupid

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 23-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
adelaidecrows02

That is actually quite sickening...
Old 23-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Wow, which of all these people were the more stupid? I dont think speeing was the biggest issue in this situation.

Quote:
Three babies, aged between one and three months, were being held unrestrained on the laps of passengers.

Police say each of the four wheels were secured by only two wheel nuts.
Old 23-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And getting more and more common....

I can remember a young mother caught at over 30kmh over the speed limit on the highway near here had 2 infants in the car. One was hers, the other belonged to the other slapper in the car.

She actually started to abuse the Police officer because he was holding her up!

NOT one caring bone in her body... I have read plenty others where parents have been caught speeding while drunk and have their kids in the car.

The point about the car being unroadworthy is moot point.
Weather is roadworthy or not these types of idiots dont care about themselves or their kids in the car.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 23-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

hmmm......2 nuts on each road wheel and one loose nut at the steer wheel
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 23-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
blackjack74

"each of the four wheels were secured by only two wheel nuts."
Old 23-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Wow, which of all these people were the more stupid? I dont think speeing was the biggest issue in this situation.
No it wasn't ..... as it was only 14k's over the limit or is that only on the Stuart? Done the road a few times but cant remember.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
No it wasn't ..... as it was only 14k's over the limit or is that only on the Stuart? Done the road a few times but cant remember.
What came to my mind, if he was doing 100kph (and the limit was 110kph for the example) and something happened (a wheel came off, which is a real possibility) it wouldn't have been a good outcome.
Old 23-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Depending on the speed infringement, he will only cop a 12 month suspension and a couple of grand in fines at the most. Then he will mouth off that cops are all pigs and they should have minded their own business and gone out and caught some real crims.
Old 23-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
What came to my mind, if he was doing 100kph (and the limit was 110kph for the example) and something happened (a wheel came off, which is a real possibility) it wouldn't have been a good outcome.
Doing 60k's in a car like that with kids rampant in the back would be a bad outcome. Agreeing its not just the fact they were speeding .... but the whole situation.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Story in the paper last year about a woman in Alice Springs - nearly collected a police car as she came out of KFC down the wrong side of the road. When they pulled her over, she was unlicensed, in an unregistered and unroadworthy car, drunk (over 0.1), not wearing a seatbelt AND.......breastfeeding her baby!!!!!

Another one was a guy with 4 cartons of beer in the car - one restrained in each seatbelt, drink driving with his 3 year old standing on the back seat unrestrained.

Strangers have the best candy.......
Old 24-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
ntguy01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
Story in the paper last year about a woman in Alice Springs - nearly collected a police car as she came out of KFC down the wrong side of the road. When they pulled her over, she was unlicensed, in an unregistered and unroadworthy car, drunk (over 0.1), not wearing a seatbelt AND.......breastfeeding her baby!!!!!

Another one was a guy with 4 cartons of beer in the car - one restrained in each seatbelt, drink driving with his 3 year old standing on the back seat unrestrained.

Whoah, I live in Alice Springs and I havnt heard about these ones but its a commen occurance here and that stuff is just getting worse and worse..
Old 24-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
FocusLX06

You'd think natural selection would have removed these sorts of people from the gene pool before they had a chance to procreate.
Old 24-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusLX06
You'd think natural selection would have removed these sorts of people from the gene pool before they had a chance to procreate.
Unfortunately we now live in a world full of do gooders pulling the strings. No one is allowed to die from anything other than natural causes or disease. Bubblewrap clothing will soon be mandatory, and idiots like this will still be around to breed and spread the stupidity. Natural selection does not apply any more.

This story could have been a lot worse.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 24-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the problem is the kids will grow up doing the same stuff

the driver should should be charged with endangering a minors life

just shear stupidity on the adults in the car

sad to see that they have no respect for their own children

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is somewhat confusing how this is seen as such a horrendous crime and yet carrying children in a 30 or 40 year old car with no modern safety features is perfectly acceptable.
Old 24-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the do gooders and wowsers I'd lay money it was one of our indigenous cousins and his mob on their way into town and he'll probably only get a smack on the wrist and won't give a toss anyway. He'll be back out on the road next week in another unregestered and unroadworthy sh!tbox. I spent 2 years in the Alice and some of the things I saw left me dumbfounded. My housemate got t-boned by a mob (8 of them), in a clapped out unreg'd HQ one day and wrote off his new Lancer. They just climbed out of the Q and walked off leaving the dead Q on the side of the road never to be seen again. It took him years to get the insurance to pay out as there was no way of tracking down the cousins who hit him.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 24-08-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 24-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #18
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is somewhat confusing how this is seen as such a horrendous crime and yet carrying children in a 30 or 40 year old car with no modern safety features is perfectly acceptable.
Very similar situation.......
Old 24-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, in victoria it is not a crime to have unrestrained passengers as long as all belts are used in the car, in fact you ARE allowed to have more people in your car than can fit. There are a few cases where all seat belts are used, more fit without seatbelts and thats ok.

There has even been highly publicised police cases of the same.
Old 24-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
I'd lay money it was one of our indigenous cousins and his mob on their way into town
Bushbasher
What has the offenders religious/social identity have to do with anything?
Old 24-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #21
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I knew it was bad out there...but not THAT bad.

Cmon, 2 wheel nuts per wheel? at 144? how does that even work?
How does natural selection not rip off 2 wheels.... ok, probobly doesnt deserve to die but still, thats utter blatant stupidity at its best.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 24-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
What has the offenders religious/social identity have to do with anything?
Without doubt the most naive post made on this forum since......well EVER.

In theory, theory and reality are similar but in reality they often have very little in common.
Old 24-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Without doubt the most naive post made on this forum since......well EVER.

In theory, theory and reality are similar but in reality they often have very little in common.
The point was, surely readers can post without making assumptions and staying on topic, which is about child endangerment, not the putting bets on whether the offenders were aboriginal or non-aboriginal.

There is a guide here called 'quality of posts', and I thought the one I commented on, was of little quality.

Yes, there are major issues within Aboriginal communities, but this article is not about that.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #24
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Flappist - Like many topics (e.g. politics), people seem to go out of their way to work it into a discussion regardless of the relevance. For the most part i really enjoy what you have to say flappist, you have made me LOL more than once...but the world can't be wrapped up in cliches and clever word play.

Personally, i dont understand what people have against those who 'do good'. I would put myself into this category. I have spent many weeks working as a volunteer overseas helping poor and disadvantaged people to rebuild their lives and lift out of poverty. I regularly donate time and money in Australia to volunteer work to help out my fellow man. So...i and those like me should be criticised for trying to do good and helping our fellow man? Should we just shut up and get on with it, without trying to make a difference in this hole we call the world? I think some of the people here need to get some context instead of commenting from inside their warm homes, fully clothed, with full bellies, typing on computers and iPhones that some people can only dream about. Get out and see the real world people. The world would be a MUCH bleaker place without people doing good to others.

By the current tone of this thread, 'natural selection' should have removed the wheel nuts and wheels, crashed the car, taken out the driver, thereby most likely taking out the innocent lives of the babies and passengers. Is this REALLY what the people in this thread are suggesting? If so, i am disgusted and appalled and i wonder who the real animals are . I'm sorry but knowingly willing someone to death, regardless of what they have done leaves a sick taste in my mouth.

I'm reminded of the movie King Kong. Who really was the monster in that film?
Old 24-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Inucted breeze, natural selection would have (youd think the wheels would fly of with only 2 nuts...) but it hasent for that reason (taking out innocent lives) right? why would innocent passengers deserve that, the driver is questionable but who knows the full story? I wasent willing sombody to death, i dont will that apon anybody no matter what...

Subaru Outback '02
Old 24-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #26
Falcman0o7
Banned

Aboriginals i bet, No offence but they do these things up there.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #27
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Very big difference to a 30-40 year old car being driven in a safe(er) manner with all occupants restrained by seatbelts correctly...

and a blatantly dangerous vehicle (2 wheel nuts per wheel?) being driven at excessive speed with unrestrained passengers....
Old 24-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Inucted breeze, natural selection would have (youd think the wheels would fly of with only 2 nuts...)
As long as it was located and the wheel studs where secured opposite each other, I reckon it would have held, but it'd be shaking like anything. Still not a good idea though haha, they have 4+ wheel nuts for a reason.

I've accidentally left all the wheel nuts undone on one wheel before and another mechanic put the car down and drove out, he made it out the door before he come back noticing something was wrong, the wheel didn't fall off (luckily).
Old 24-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #29
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inducted Breeze - for my 2cents worth, the term do gooders in this context relates to the so called social support groups, networks etc that intensly lobby for increasingly softer penalties for criminal action, whereby any potential innocent victim is left with the aftermath, the offender is let loose with a slap on the wrist.

Back on topic - No government has to this day been able to pass legislation that outlaws sheer stupidity such as the action outlined in this news article.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

The problem is sensationalism and lynch mob mentality. People are going off like pork chops of this event and villifying the car owners/drivers for this crime.

This sort of knee jerk reaction is the fundamental core of why there are so many stupid ineffectual laws which are ignored by so many.

So lets look at this from a few steps back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo
Police say they are appalled at the actions of a 37-year-old man who was arrested for speeding with three unsecured babies in the car.

Police pulled over the driver on Larapinta Drive, about 65 kilometres south-west of Alice Springs, after he was caught driving an unroadworthy car at 144 kilometres per hour.

Three babies, aged between one and three months, were being held unrestrained on the laps of passengers.

Police say each of the four wheels were secured by only two wheel nuts.

The man will face charges relating to speeding and driving with unrestrained children.
This is the report from the news. For the sake of simplicity I will ASSUME that this is the truth and neither the police no the media have got it wrong or exaggerated.

1) Speeding, well that is up there with rape and murder, just ask any Victorian. 3 years ago that would not have been speeding and possibly in the not too distant future in will no longer be.

2) Unsecured children in a vehicle. What is the legal method for transporting children in a Bus, Coach on a train? How do you secure a baby on an aircraft?

3) 65km SW of Alice, middle of the desert NOT peak hour outside an inner city MacDonalds.

4) Only 2 wheel nuts? Well 2 points here:
A) the wheels did not actually fall off so maybe, just maybe the engineering of the attachment system is a bit stronger than you think.
B) it seems that if someone talks about completely compromising their suspension geometry on their vehicle by fitting wheels that are wider or larger rims along with lowering and changing/cutting springs and fitting shock absorbers with different ratings just so it looks "FULLY SICK" they are applauded.

The last and most important point.

This was the parents with their children. What right have you to tell them how to raise their kids? The same right as they have to tell you what to do?
Do you punish your child when they are naughty? YOU CRIMINAL.
Do you feed your kids unhealthy food like lollies or softdrink at for example birthday parties? YOU CRIMINAL.
Do you let your kids use the internet where they could possibly see porn? YOU CRIMINAL.
Do you let your kids swim at the beach where they could be eaten by sharks? YOU CRIMINAL.
Do you let your kids play sport where they might get hurt? YOU CRIMINAL.

Too many spend too much time running other people's lives.

I do not agree with what they have done and would not do it myself but basic human rights and freedoms are being eroded far more quickly than any "climate change" and the problem is that WE ARE DEFINITELY DOING IT.

Mob rule is a VERY dangerous thing and just as you demand that these "criminals" be brought to justice other may demand that "HOONS" be jailed after all anyone who owns a performance car is a HOON, what other reason is there for owning one.

So one day if you are no longer allowed to drive your muscle car or V8s are banned outright because some mob of wowers think it is too dangerous and went bezerk in the media don't come crying on the forum BECAUSE IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT.

P.S. Damo, if stupidity was outlawed then I suspect half the people who voted on Saturday would be in jail.......(and of course there will be a lot of disagreement on which half )
Closed Thread