Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default drive com fg vs sidi ve. surprise!

http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...1009-gqou.html

They did 161 laps of mt pan at the speed limit (how boring) in both cars
Berlina 3.0-litre V6 6speed and G6 auto.

surprising results
some quote

After more than eight hours and 60 laps, it’s clear there’s already a favourite among our team of drivers ... The superior driving feel of the Falcon is making it the car our drivers are looking forward to sitting in. The Falcon is emerging as the more rounded package.

From a performance perspective, the FG Falcon has an edge. the Falcon was quickest in the 0-100km/h sprint, taking just 7.7 seconds, the Commodore reached 100km/h in 8.9seconds.

CLAIMED FUEL ECONOMY
Commodore claimed 9.3 litres per 100 kilometres fuel use is 6percent better than the 9.9L/100km claimed by the most frugal of Falcons (XT) thre G6s claimed fuel use is 10.1L/100km, almost 9per cent more than the Holden.

ACTUAL FUEL ECONOMY ON TEST
The Holden is using more than 11.0L/100km around Mount Panorama, meaning the fuel needle is dropping—fast.
There’s no way to sugar-coat it. The Commodore was thirstier. Despite the new direct injection technology, the Holden’s new 3.0-litre engine used 11.09L/100km, the Ford used 10.02L/100km

(Commoodore used) not only 19 per cent more fuel than its official claim but 10 per cent more than the Falcon.

And enthusiast publication Wheels, recently recorded near identical fuel use for the 3.0-litre Commodore and the more powerful 3.6-litre version, with the Falcon only slightly thirstier.

For this great race, it’s a shock victory to the Falcon.

-----

Are Holden telling porkies?

bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Title should read FG, not BF.
Great article, nothing too new though, Holdens ridiculous claims on just about everything from fuel efficiency to power make it hard to believe anything that they say.
WOOT, a 9 second 0-100 commodore that you cant see out of and thats sips fuel to the tune of 11L/100km. Now where do I sign up?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Title should read FG, not BF.
*Fixed.

Hardly a surprise with the Falcon having a huge torque advantage to pull up the hills at a lower rpm.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Late braker

Torque is what you need, top end power is nice but in the real world, torque is the most necessary and useful.

8 hours around the mountain- it wouldn't be that boring even at the speed limit surely
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Amazing, all the whiz bangery and lower cubes of the Holden and the Falcon had the better economy BY FAR.

Very good results. PLEASE market this result to DEATH Ford!
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope they do an Auto XR8 V Auto AFM SS next.....

Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Ringo
I see you....

Superior torque and a superior driving package....says it all really
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
SVTVNM
Guzzler

How official was this test? If it was done under strict conditions then this would be a marketing dream for Ford, A basic 30 sec add correctly worded would be perfect to put Holden in it's place.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

http://media.drive.com.au/cars/car-n...t-780932.html?

Apparently the Commodores trip computer is a fair way out too.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

While it all looks good for the Ford and the Falcon in this test. The torque in the Falcon helped with the 161 trips up the hill, where the 3 litre 6 would have reving much harder, causing it to use more fuel.

I wonder how a test between the same 2 cars, sitting on the speed limits on a trip between Sydney and Melbourne would turn out. Still throw 2 adults and 2 teenage kids with bags and my guess is we would see simular figures.

Really this test will do sweet bugger all in the sales of the Falcon. It will be slick ads and public perception that will make the Commodore the winner on the show room floors.

Right or wrong, it does not matter, people will feel they are saving the planet by using less fuel, they are also keeping extra $$$$$$ into their back pockets each week with the fuel saving Direct injection V6.

Still one has to think the new 6 speed auto is going to really help the Commodore along after all these years of the dreadful 4 speed box.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford, please use this info in an add

"who's more likely to bring real world fuel savings to your pocket"? Ford of course.

"Motoring publications show that fords 100% Australian designed and built 4l 6cyl delivers more power and lower fuel consumption then Holdens 3.0 v6."

Why waste your money when ford is the Going Thing"

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yeah good to hear this! I thought this would be the case actually with the new 3L less torque.. Oh well, it will keep the eco people happy I guess.. How do they get a 9.3L/100 in the ADR 81/01 test though??
I wonder how many kms each car had??
Old 10-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark s
While it all looks good for the Ford and the Falcon in this test. The torque in the Falcon helped with the 161 trips up the hill, where the 3 litre 6 would have reving much harder, causing it to use more fuel.

I wonder how a test between the same 2 cars, sitting on the speed limits on a trip between Sydney and Melbourne would turn out. Still throw 2 adults and 2 teenage kids with bags and my guess is we would see simular figures.
Blah Blah Blah,,, whats your problem??

This is a great test for ford, its real world and real driving.

Going from Sydney to Melb is a mute point as you "guess" later on in the same paragraph.

Looks like some people are never pleased, another test please the last one wasn't real enough.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Scott

Highway comparisons, whilst interesting, hold little real world siginificance to 90% of cars on the road. Depending on which urban area you live in, your average speed will probably be between 30km/h and 45km/h for the life of the car.

You will be stopping and starting, slowing down and speeding up, going up hills and down. I think the Bathurst test is pretty reasonable.

Falcon wins, no more meeds to be said
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Bundy

I have no problems, I own 4 Fords and have supported them pretty much all my life.

MY point was that it does not matter what results come up for Ford, it never seems enough.

Most people will look at the figures posted on a TV add and will think this is wonderful and will not look beyond that. It seems to me only the die hard hard car nut will look at something like this and think how good is this for Ford.

In my opinion the Falcon 6 has been a better car than the Commodore for many years, but it does not equate to sales.

Also my point Sydney to Melbourne in a real world situation where a family of 4 may travel and not some test pilot trying to be as frugal as possible on fuel, I fell would produce a simular result for the Falcon, in a real worl family situation.

My post was not to bag out the Falcon as you seem to think, my point was great for Ford but at the end of the day average joe blow, will see something on TV and take it as Gospel.

Maybe as many of us have talked about in the past, Ford should use these tests in the promotion of it's cars, in place of standing idle.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................

Last edited by Mark s; 10-10-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
Blah Blah Blah,,, whats your problem??

This is a great test for ford, its real world and real driving.

Going from Sydney to Melb is a mute point as you "guess" later on in the same paragraph.

Looks like some people are never pleased, another test please the last one wasn't real enough.
I still don't get why Holden see it as a great feat for their 3.0 to get from Sydney to Melbourne on one tank. I've done it in an Automatic EF Falcon for Christ's sake.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Paxton

Mate we are not talking about you and I, who are car heads.

We are talking fleets, Mums and Dads who look at fuel economy, how much they think they are saving, and helping Australian economy by buying a dinky di product and believing everything they see on TV.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #18
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford, I've got the tag-line for your new Falcon ad.

Who's more likely to achieve better real world economy in a large six-cylinder car.........FORD, OF COURSE

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

It wasn't just an 8hr test. It was a 21hr test. Remember this is a public road and the limit is 60kmh.

It was after 8hrs, the Falcon which had already made its solid case as favourite in the economy and driving stakes.

Who gives you real world fuel economy? Ford of course!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just imagine if the I6 was all-alloy and di......hang on..it doesn't need to be to beat it's competition, lol....maybe Ford should quote the Drive results in a full page spread next week....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Ford, I've got the tag-line for your new Falcon ad.

Who's more likely to achieve better real world economy in a large six-cylinder car.........FORD, OF COURSE
Chilliman, I've just sent Ford an email via their website, pointing out the drive.com.au Bathurst fuel econ test, along with a link to your quoted post.
Hey, there's all the content of what should be their next series of Falcon ad's to combat the SIDI Commo right there! Real world results & slogan!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #22
ltd
Force Fed Fords

No surprise really, Holden has been failing to meet expectations and claims for years.

Quote: