The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
kempy311
BEN

Default Re: My FGX XR8 denied warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Hey Kempy, what inspections did they perform to come up with this conclusion, that its not a manufacturing or design fault? Did they disassemble the supercharger, then examine the components as necessary to determine the cause of failure?

If not, then how can they come to this conclusion?

However I do remember you taking it down the strip and was surprised you did at the time due to the car being so new. But Ford need to perform detailed analysis to determine cause of failure, not just wash their hands off it.
I'm pretty sure all they did was take the belt off and start it and there was no noise. The car has not been stripped down at all. New car or not I didn't know you couldn't take it down the strip I would have never even guessed as it is a performance car.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
I'm pretty sure all they did was take the belt off and start it and there was no noise. The car has not been stripped down at all. New car or not I didn't know you couldn't take it down the strip I would have never even guessed as it is a performance car.
Which dealer? Macaroni's in Morley?
Old 25-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
I'm pretty sure all they did was take the belt off and start it and there was no noise. The car has not been stripped down at all.
Nowhere nearly good enough on Fords part.
Old 25-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go talk to consumer affairs. It may be adventagious to get yourself a commercial lawyer and have them send the dealer a letter reminding them what Ford's obligations are.

It sounds like the vehicle simply isn't fit for purpose. It's a performance vehicle, you have availed yourself to it's performance in a legal venue, Ford cannot deny warranty because you did so. Typical of a dealer to make you do the hard work, but it will be worth it in the end. You should attempt to escalate the matter to Court so you can make an application for costs to cover your legal fees.
Old 25-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not that it matters much to the OP but I'm not going ahead with the test drive of the new Mondeo wagon in early May. Cannot be bothered dealing with Ford anymore when you hear stories like this. The market is too competitive. And using this forum to look back on his photos to deny warranty... It has struck me personally as I've been a member on here for years.

My dad was supposed to be ordering a new V8 mustang before end of financial year and you kind of wonder how Ford will d!ck him around if he gives it a good flogging (which they should handle). He gets more fired up than me over these types of stories
4 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Not that it matters much to the OP but I'm not going ahead with the test drive of the new Mondeo wagon in early May. Cannot be bothered dealing with Ford anymore when you hear stories like this. The market is too competitive. And using this forum to look back on his photos to deny warranty... It has struck me personally as I've been a member on here for years.

My dad was supposed to be ordering a new V8 mustang before end of financial year and you kind of wonder how Ford will d!ck him around if he gives it a good flogging (which they should handle). He gets more fired up than me over these types of stories
Kinda says it all with even with the best products in their segment they can't sell em.

That sort of service not only puts you off owning ford, but your family and mates as well.

So really this will take many many years to resolve, and may not ever be.
Old 25-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

This is disappointing... I could understand their position if it was Tuned or if you were racing it, but a few quarter mile runs???

Your contractual arrangement is with the dealer so I would be calling upon them!
Old 25-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So legally you can't ever get your supercharged performance saloon over 100 without voiding it's warranty? What the point then?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 25-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Typical ford response anyone wonder why Vfacts figures each month are shyte for the Ford brand? people are over this garbage, the brand is on the nose and staying that way.
Ford build a performance car and won't stand behind the product despite all the BS about improving service and warranty its easy to see same old ford lines, they all do that sir or its not covered as it broke on a day ending in y.
The fact they won't stand behind it for warranty or service because of a few 400m sprints, speaks volumes for the product and attitude at ford.
Buy a Renault Meganne as someone said in the closed thread or a Lotus as many track days as you like all warranty covered I mean you bought the sports model, paid a premium for such a vehicle so they expect you to drive it that way at times and enjoy what you paid the extra $$$ for.
Good luck with it mate, seems you paid a premium for a product that ford do not consider is up to the hype they built up around it, 0-100 in 4.7 seconds but don't you attempt that as it will void your warranty.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......

Last edited by FPV+fteT3; 25-04-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 25-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

If I understand what you said, the car has done over 6000km since you took it to the drags and allegedly caused all this damage to it?!
If it broke while at the track, or soon after... Or it was a driveline related failure you would be have a harder job proving your case.
But seriously, how can it have ANY effect on the supercharger by driving down a drag strip, the charger just spins, it has no more load on it than any full throttle use on the road, and it's top speed of rotation is limited by the tune and engine rpm limiter, which has not been touched. Blower didn't know you were on a track?!?
This is bull. Don't give up on this mate ,I think there is a lot in your favour... But you are up against Ford.
As for running in, he followed the break in period as specified by FPV and I guess now Ford. He had double the kms on it when he went to the drags.
Hell, mine only had 700km on it when I went to powercruise!

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
Old 25-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Racing Your Mustang Will Void Its Warranty, Despite Line Lock

Basically, it means exactly what it says: race your Mustang and you can expect the warranty to be void.

But what, exactly, is racing? Brian Cotter, global Mustang communications coordinator, wrote via email, "If you are using this feature in an actual race (ex. at a drag strip vs. your neighbor’s Camaro) this would create a problem from a warranty standpoint."

Cotter further explained, "There is nothing wrong with testing the capabilities of the Mustang in a non-race environment. You could, for instance, test your quarter-mile time on a closed-course. This would be permissible because you aren’t competing against any other car OR against a predetermined time, etc."
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...pite-line-lock
Old 25-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
FPV097
Starter Motor

Isnt it a Harrop HTV blower on these engines ? Would be interesting to see what they have to say about it instead of the stooges at ford, if it is a Harrop charger I can give you a contact to talk to behind the scenes.
Old 25-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #13
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV097 View Post
Isnt it a Harrop HTV blower on these engines ? Would be interesting to see what they have to say about it instead of the stooges at ford, if it is a Harrop charger I can give you a contact to talk to behind the scenes.
No Harrop did the manifold, is an Eaton Supercharger, you can get the spec sheet which provides usage parameters.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 25-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
kempy311
BEN

I'm more disappointed that ford didn't even look into it.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm more disappointed that ford didn't even look into it.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that NT has removed the speed limit of a section of road.
So in that hot climate on that road, if an XR8 owner stops for some reason and then accelerates on full throttle to say 200 km/h (legal if safe) and drives at high speed for some time, I'm suspecting that might be quite a bit harder on the blower than dragstrip 1/4 mile runs.
So I'm wondering what Ford would say about that. Could that possibly cause a problem for the owner if a supercharger warranty claim was put in?
If so have any warnings been given to owners at contract signing time about legal high speed driving within the Northern territory.
Old 26-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #16
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this supercharger talk has me wondering,the charger on my pursuit is considerably louder than it was in the first few thousand ks,even on just idling along say 2-3,000 rpms.Should I have this checked by an independent mechanic and if there is a problem then approach ford with independent opinion in hand just so I avoid the yes they all do this rubbish.I am not saying there is a problem but I am a little paranoid about it now.And no it hasn't been to the drag strip.
Old 26-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #17
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2242100 View Post
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that NT has removed the speed limit of a section of road.
So in that hot climate on that road, if an XR8 owner stops for some reason and then accelerates on full throttle to say 200 km/h (legal if safe) and drives at high speed for some time, I'm suspecting that might be quite a bit harder on the blower than dragstrip 1/4 mile runs.
So I'm wondering what Ford would say about that. Could that possibly cause a problem for the owner if a supercharger warranty claim was put in?
If so have any warnings been given to owners at contract signing time about legal high speed driving within the Northern territory.
This man raises a very good point.

Kempy, what exactly failed on the supercharger?
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #18
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
This man raises a very good point.

Kempy, what exactly failed on the supercharger?
If I knew I would let you know. But all that's has happened so far I'm pretty sure is the belt as been taken off and started and they have found there is no noise.
331rwkw.

Old 27-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
If I knew I would let you know. But all that's has happened so far I'm pretty sure is the belt as been taken off and started and they have found there is no noise.
A noise... I wonder if the snout coupling has shat itself. Was your car driveable at the point of failure or was it dead in the water when it did?
Old 28-04-2015, 01:32 AM   #20
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
It will be the bearings, it's always the bearings.

I have fixed two Sprintex units in the last 18 months.

They aren't hard to repair...just bite the bullet and fix it.

There's stuff all in a supercharger...
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #21
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Pictures from this forum
My initial thoughts were wow, how is that different to taking off hard on a back road? Stock car and no tune should be able to do it all day every day. But...

Checking your other thread you have posted a lot of info that doesn't work in your favor.
Raced at 1200klm before the first service on semi slicks with 20psi. The custom plates and talk of an E85 tune and future mods certainly paints a negative picture for the person who took pictures from here.

Personally I would have thought a stock car running down the strip would have been fine and likely have done the same myself.

It maybe time to fast forward the mods and go aftermarket as you had planned.
Old 25-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #22
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
My initial thoughts were wow, how is that different to taking off hard on a back road? Stock car and no tune should be able to do it all day every day. But...

Checking your other thread you have posted a lot of info that doesn't work in your favor.
Raced at 1200klm before the first service on semi slicks with 20psi. The custom plates and talk of an E85 tune and future mods certainly paints a negative picture for the person who took pictures from here.

Why should a warranty start after a 1000km, or 2000km. I know there is extremes but still...

I thought the car was stock? Semi slicks are not stock, but that should only be an issue if he had a diff problem.

Ford should prove that anything he did to (in their eyes) void the warranty directly caused the fault itself.

They can't refuse to fix my power windows if I exceed my tow rating.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #23
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post

Personally I would have thought a stock car running down the strip would have been fine and likely have done the same myself.

It maybe time to fast forward the mods and go aftermarket as you had planned.

Yep.

You Play you pay
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #24
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The car was denied warranty on the supercharger based solely on that it had been down the drag strip and this then therefore adds to my character and manor of my driving. Even thou it is unrelated as this was month and months ago.
I assumed it had let go when at the drags and thought fair enough...didn't know it was 6000 odd km and several months later.

So they are saying the drag racing didn't cause it but the fact that you took it to the drags means you are hard on the equipment? Steer clear of GT-F 017 as you would assume no warranty given the seller's character and manner of driving...I hear he used to be in to motorsport. In fact, I am surprised they gifted that car to someone who Ford can only assume is going to mis-treat it (that is Ford's assumption, not mine)

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 25-04-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 25-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #25
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah nothing should be taken away from the cars themselves. This does sound like an isolated incident.
Old 26-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Yeah nothing should be taken away from the cars themselves. This does sound like an isolated incident.
Is this the same car as the one I saw here a few days ago with FB screen captures?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 25-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a reason car makers do not warrant cars for motoring events ,
despite some here saying it was designed for it , there's driving them hard, and then there's driving them really really hard beyond what the vehicle is designed for .
Not saying that's the case here, but it does happen and then warranty is expected when something breaks .
Old 25-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #28
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
there's driving them hard, and then there's driving them really really hard beyond what the vehicle is designed for . .
so i can flog the guts out of my Ford, and still get warranty so long as i don't hit the drag strip? I'm sure that's what happens for most Mondeos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT
You're behind the times....the people of Australia have already voted with their wallets and the falcon is already dead.
It's not the Falcon Motor Company. there's still Focus groups and Fiesta siestas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes
If it’s an expensive fix it may pay to speak to a consumer law specialist.
which will be more expensive, lawyers or replacement parts?

Quote:
... the part failed due to your negligence and using the vehicle for a purpose it’s not fit for and not due to a manufacturing fault.
if it doesn't specifically say 'motorsport', i'd still expect them to honor the warranty.
Old 25-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
so i can flog the guts out of my Ford, and still get warranty so long as i don't hit the drag strip? I'm sure that's what happens for most Mondeos.

It's not the Falcon Motor Company. there's still Focus groups and Fiesta siestas

which will be more expensive, lawyers or replacement parts?

if it doesn't specifically say 'motorsport', i'd still expect them to honor the warranty.
I believe I did say you could drive it hard......... Up to a point, but obviously you can change the drive ing style from driving it hard to full blown abuse,
if you are driving like Stirling Moss and you chuck it a back a cog and miss...... Going back three cogs instead of one a buzzing the engine to 9500 rpm or doing hours of full throttle burn outs, or chucking many big roll backs............... This sort of treatment for example I would not giving an owner warranty coverage.
Again not in any way saying the OP did any abuse just an example why motor company's on occasion refuse warranty.
Proper race cars costing far more than factory muscle cars still break stuff........

Getting back to the original post, it is hard to make any judgement without knowing both sides of the story and detailed facts, so on that note......
Old 25-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can the OP confirm Ford's argument is not that the damage was a result of that day at the drags, rather their stance is that day at the drags proves you mis-treat vehicles and as such they will not honour the warranty?

If that is the case then does that mean if the OP also had say a Mondeo for a daily drive then they would not honour warranty on that either based on how he drives his XR8?

And for how long after that day at the drags will the OP be blacklisted with Ford? If he goes and buys another XR8 later this year will they honour warranty on that?

For how long after going to the drags is it presumed you have an unsatisfactory driving manner?

Wouldn't be wise to put their hand up right now but how many members here would fall into this 'not-covered' classification? How many are pulling photos and PM'ing mods to delete ETs etc
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread