Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fake Road Sign......

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...31-421,00.html

POLICE have been left red-faced after a someone erected a fake road sign to ease traffic in a Sydney suburban street.

Hundreds of motorists are believed to have been fined for ignoring the sign preventing vehicles from turning into Albert Rd at the intersection of Beecroft Rd, Beecroft.

Police said they were lenient towards motorists when the sign first appeared but complaints from residents about the potential danger to a nearby school zone led to a crackdown on drivers.

The Roads and Traffic Authority has removed the sign and the office responsible for collecting fines is promising to reimburse wrongly booked motorists.

Eastwood police commander Peter Marcon said a number of drivers were fined and slapped with demerit points on their licenses for disobeying the sign.

"I want to reassure them we are looking into the matter," Superintendent Marcon said.

"I have been informed by the State Debt Recovery Office that all tickets issued at this intersection will be investigated and those incorrectly fined will be reimbursed the monies for the fine and the lost demerit points."

Mill of Sydney Police, the RTA and the State Debt Recovery Office are searching databases to identify those booked at the intersection for disobeying the sign.

Supt Marcon urged anyone wrongly fined to contact the police or State Debt Recovery Office.

Police say they are treating the matter seriously.

"We are investigating the origins of the sign, who may have put it there and why," Superintendent Marcon said.

The State Debt Recovery Office can be contacted on 1300 138 118.

LOL :

Old 27-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hope they will pay for lost jobs, pain and suffering for people who had to lose their houses etc etc...
Old 27-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Hmmm, if I see a sign that says not to turn left I tend to not turn left. If I did disobey a sign and get pinged then I know I was in the wrong.

Fake or not if the people that were pinged had have actually followed the road rules they wouldn't have been fined.
Old 27-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Hmmm, if I see a sign that says not to turn left I tend to not turn left. If I did disobey a sign and get pinged then I know I was in the wrong.

Fake or not if the people that were pinged had have actually followed the road rules they wouldn't have been fined.

sweet.

let me know you adress, ill come and put some up at both ends of your street, and you accept the fine that you get daily.

agreed?
Old 27-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

excuse my ignorance, but what was the purpose of someone putting it there in the first place? What benefit was it? or was it just a joke?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
sweet.

let me know you adress, ill come and put some up at both ends of your street, and you accept the fine that you get daily.

agreed?

Go wild, I have plenty of different ways in my street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
excuse my ignorance, but what was the purpose of someone putting it there in the first place? What benefit was it? or was it just a joke?
Apparently the residents had been trying to get the sign up for 20 years, it was meant to reduce congestion. So someone put them up and motorists ignored the sign, then the residents asked to police to enforce the signs.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go wild, I have plenty of different ways in my street.

ill put it just before your driveway.

can you not see that it is an ILLEGAL sign?

1. illegal sign
2. people taking law into their own hands
3. innocent people getting fined

your okn with this?
Old 27-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Apparently the residents had been trying to get the sign up for 20 years, it was meant to reduce congestion. So someone put them up and motorists ignored the sign, then the residents asked to police to enforce the signs.
and? the sign was'nt legal.

so the police should have told them to get stuffed until a legal one was erected.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
ill put it just before your driveway.

can you not see that it is an ILLEGAL sign?

1. illegal sign
2. people taking law into their own hands
3. innocent people getting fined

your okn with this?

What was done wasn't the correct way of doing things. But sooky motorists that were bitching about being fined when they disobeyed the sign is what annoys me.

Quote:
and? the sign was'nt legal.

so the police should have told them to get stuffed until a legal one was erected.
The Police were fooled because it looked real. The didn't even know it was illegal.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What was done wasn't the correct way of doing things. But sooky motorists that were bitching about being fined when they disobeyed the sign is what annoys me.

The Police were fooled because it looked real. The didn't even know it was illegal.

1. sign was illegal. thats the crux. if it was'nt there no one would be fined and this would not be happening.

money will be reimbursed but the person responsible should be charged.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I heard this on the radio this morning and agree totally with what vztrt is saying.

Motorist drove contrary to the sign - they cop a fine.
That seems reasonable to me.

Or is it ok for a motorist to decide whether or not they think the sign is appropraite or legal or should have been there or not?

I drive through a school zone each work day that is 6 lanes wide, has little traffic at that time and clear visibility. There are no parked cars or driveways and NEVER a student to be seen. This is largely a result of it being a 'special' school of some kind where all the students arrive by car/bus/taxi and are then fenced in. Is it ok for me to decide I don't need to slow to 40kmh as there is no risk to anyone and the sign is a nonsense?

I can't imagine that standing up in court.

More power to whoever put up the sign I reckon. I'm all for a bit of public disobedience in the name of common sense. Just no point whinging about it if you then get a slap on the wrist.

Last edited by Raptor; 27-08-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree with this, the issue is not if the sign should have been there or not, that's a separate issue, the thing that sticks out for me is that motorists disobeyed it.... AND got caught just like every other road infringement...

Old 27-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I heard this on the radio this morning and agree totally with what vztrt is saying.

Motorist drove contrary to the sign - they cop a fine. Seems reasonable to me.

Or is it ok for a motorist to decide whether or not they think the sign is appropraite or legal or should have been there or not?

I drive through a school zone each work day that is 6 lanes wide, has clear visibility, no parked cars or driveways and NEVER a student in sight. Is it ok for me to decide I don't need to slow to 40kmh as there is no riak to anyone and the sign is a nonsense. I can't imagine that standing up in court.

we are not talking about whether you feel like doing the speed limit or not when a LEGAL sign is up.

should taxpayers, who pay for those signs, EXPECT the true and correct ones be up all the time? why should they have to deal with fake signs?

motorists should NOT have to decide whether it is legal or not. they shouldnt have to deal with it in the first place.

when the police were asked to enforce a sign, by residents, that anyone with common sense would realise that is not really in relation to it's surroundings, they should have checked.

i don't think i have ever read anywhere that you have to follow made up rules and regulations.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I agree with this, the issue is not if the sign should have been there or not, that's a separate issue, the thing that sticks out for me is that motorists disobeyed it.... AND got caught just like every other road infringement...

i wonder if it only became an issue AFTER one of the people involved in it's erection got pinged.....
Old 27-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i wonder if it only became an issue AFTER one of the people involved in it's erection got pinged.....
The sign shouldnt have been erected illegally, but the motorists shouldn't take matters into their own hands be ignoring the signage, end of story.
Ifr motorists disagreed with the sign there's an appropriate way to deal with it, and it looks like that's what happened..

Last edited by 4Vman; 27-08-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I hate people that cannot follow simple road rules, whether the sign was fake or not, they were none the wiser so they may as well have been disobeying a legit sign. Not even police knew it was fake so don't tell me random motorists knew better.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:

I totally agree.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The sign shouldnt have been erected illegally, but the motorists shouldn't take matters into their own hands be ignoring the signage, end of story.
Agreed

its a no brainer to follow the signs as for what they say

yes it was an illegal sign but how do you know what is legal or not

best thing is to follow them correctly then you wont get a fine all being the fine is technically illegal

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
....motorists should NOT have to decide whether it is legal or not.....
That's my point exactly. The motorist would not have known at the time whether it was a legal sign or not so should have been obeying it anyway.

Quote:
....police were asked to enforce a sign, by residents, that anyone with common sense would realise that is not really in relation to it's surroundings, they should have checked....
The police were enforcing the sign so what makes you say that anyone with common sense would realise that it is not really in relation to it's surroundings. Did all those police not have any common sense (possible) but their job is to enforce the rules (as they believe they apply), not decide if they make sense.

Are you one of the ones to be fined

Quote:
....you have to follow made up rules and regulations.
Hey, they are all made up by someone and plenty of them don't seem to make much sense. :
Old 27-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quite possibly .... and no one here knows the real facts on what was going on and where it was ..... the sign hasn't been erected by the authorites because there were reasons one shouldnt be put there?

Its like me putting a 'proper' sign at the start of my street (court) saying that no RH turn between 9.00 till 5.00 on a Sunday because I like the peace and quiet? Then ringing the police and saying people are ignoring it?

People may have ignored it and got fined but who here can say that it was in an appropriate area and what the whole story behind it is? Police just enforce the law, whether its resonable or not ..... Of course the fines should be revoked if found to be wrong. I can't see it any other way? Where was the sign put? Was it obstructed by a tree or just in a stupid spot? Facts would be great before condeming those that got pinged.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a similar experience not far from where I live. A local developer had to do substantial road works for a new housing estate, which took about six months. In addition to the temporary 40km/h sign, they erected some permanent 40km/h sign (in a 70 km/h zone). The police would occasionally have a radar trap in this section.

After the road works were completed, all of the 40 km/h signs were removed; except one. It took a few emails to the state member to agree; yes, the sign should not be there, yes, the sign will be removed, and yes, we have removed the sign.

I felt like a goose, but, because the area use to be policed, I would still slow down to 40 until that sign was removed.

If I was a random driving down the street with the no left turn, I, along with 99/100 other members of this forum, would; a, swear; and b, not turn left.

How am I to judge if the sign is legitimate or not?

I image that there would be interesting police enquiries in Albert Street. By the looks of the maps, I guess that someone was trying to cut down on some rat running.
Old 27-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #22
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
That's my point exactly. The motorist would not have known at the time whether it was a legal sign or not so should have been obeying it anyway.
if a police officer came up to you and asked you to do something you knew was illegal, would you still do it because he said, "it's the law, i know better"? would you obey it, you know, anyway?

(no i am not saying police do this...)

[/QUOTE]The police were enforcing the sign so what makes you say that anyone with common sense would realise that it is not really in relation to it's surroundings. Did all those police not have any common sense (possible) but their job is to enforce the rules (as they believe they apply), not decide if they make sense.

Are you one of the ones to be fined :[/QUOTE]

no, i'm in adelaide, we already have the worst drivers's lol

and really, how could you not know something was'nt right when cars were coming UP AND DOWN the two way street.....

[/QUOTE]Hey, they are all made up by someone and plenty of them don't seem to make much sense. :[/QUOTE]

can't fight that point.

my whole point from the start though was the immense issues that have occured by someone being and idiot by erecting this sign in the first place.

but seeing drivers should obey all signs no matter what, guess some people will now make up some 80km/h signs for port road and anzac highway........
Old 27-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if a police officer came up to you and asked you to do something you knew was illegal, would you still do it because he said, "it's the law, i know better"? would you obey it, you know, anyway?

That's nothing like this situation.

Old 27-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #24
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's nothing like this situation.

just using it as an example of blindly following like lemmings 4V, thats all
Old 27-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
just using it as an example of blindly following like lemmings 4V, thats all
Its still a totally illogical example...

If the sign was hand drawn and asking you to do 150kph your example might work.

Old 27-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #26
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bah, no right turns are a PIA, if there is no or little traffic behind or oncoming, then im going to turn.
They are generally there to keep traffic flowing, if there is no risk of any traffic hold up from the right turn, then there shouldnt be a problem.
If I get pinged, ill pay it, but that doesnt mean ill accept it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 27-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #27
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
Ifr motorists disagreed with the sign there's an appropriate way to deal with it, and it looks like that's what happened..
This is so true. If they CHOOSE to ignore a no right turn sign and get fined, it's their own fault. Whether it's legitimate or not, they ignored a no turning sign. They bought it on themselves really.

Makes you wonder what other signs those drivers ignore..
Old 27-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #28
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interestingly they have called it a 'fake roadsign', rather than a sign which an council/RTA worker has put in the wrong spot, which is more likely.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 27-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #29
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPWR
This is so true. If they CHOOSE to ignore a no right turn sign and get fined, it's their own fault. Whether it's legitimate or not, they ignored a no turning sign. They bought it on themselves really.

Makes you wonder what other signs those drivers ignore..

a "wrong way go back" sign on a two way suburban street?
Old 27-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #30
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Now you're just grossly exaggerating.
Closed Thread