Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Default Ford Trumps Vw On Home Soil

Just found this juicy little tidbit on the other forum
Europes Top 10 Cars March 2008

1. Ford Fiesta - 52,805 +15.5%
2. VW Golf - 46415 -0.1%
3. GM Corsa - 40,346 -10.7%
4. Peugeot 207 - 39,499 -15.4%
5. VW Polo - 38,316 +30.3%
6. Fiat Punto - 37,337 +12.2%
7. Ford Focus - 35,398 -22.7%
8. Fiat Panda - 33,593 +62.2%
9. Renault Clio - 31,938 -19.1%
10. GM Astra - 27,236 -37.9%

LINK

(Click on MEDIA in the JATO menu for sales numbers)

How good is that?????

Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's an awesome result for Ford in relation to vehicles sold in europe. The Fiesta is a great little car, IMO it is a much better car than the focus, and the public there can see that!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Now only if they could replicate the results here, Europe realises the Fiesta is good, now all we need to do is prise women out of thier Yaris'.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
pommy b
Banned

And not a Toyota in sight!!

Being from the UK, I can honestly say that Toyota don't have a great image in Europe. They are seen as the ultimate in boring and are soley purchased by 'grey people'. I keep having to tell people back in the UK that Oz is full of grey toyota drivers...LoL

The Fiesta has been the UK's best selling car in ages....closely followed by the Focus. It's good to see the rest of Europe catching up.
pommy b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember reading somewhere earlier this week that Ford can't keep up with the demand on the new Fiesta...... probably was on here.........
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommy b
And not a Toyota in sight!!

Being from the UK, I can honestly say that Toyota don't have a great image in Europe. They are seen as the ultimate in boring and are soley purchased by 'grey people'. I keep having to tell people back in the UK that Oz is full of grey toyota drivers...LoL

The Fiesta has been the UK's best selling car in ages....closely followed by the Focus. It's good to see the rest of Europe catching up.

Same as the lexus brand. It cant penetrate the European market.
Old 23-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
XR8putts

I assume the figures are for this year, not 2008 like it states?

Great result none the less for Ford Bloody hell they like their small cars though!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Now only if they could replicate the results here, Europe realises the Fiesta is good, now all we need to do is prise women out of thier Yaris'.
Funny that you mention women and the Yaris, because I asked my mum if she got a new car what would it be, answer:

Toyota Yaris.

Her friend got one and now she loves them :O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

nice one Ford. VW still grew overall.
Old 23-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Good stuff Ford!!, great to see the fiesta ruling the roost as No.1! :
Old 23-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
buickman
buickman

No Japanese manufacturers cars in the list but the English and European's have a different localised taste in their cars to Americans and Australian car buyers and I doubt whether any of them cars on that list would make the top 10 in Australia competing against the Mazda, Toyota, Honda Subaru Mitsubishi small cars and large domestic cars as well as commercials and 4 WD’s.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Can't understand why the Fiat Punto shifts so many units. Had to drive one as a hire car in the UK once, it was awful.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by want-a-XY
i remember reading somewhere earlier this week that Ford can't keep up with the demand on the new Fiesta...... probably was on here.........

I mentioned early this week or last week that the Fiesta is selling like hotcakes (yank expression) in Europe.

Here's some more details.....

http://media.ford.com/news/fromzerot...ninemonths.htm

FROM ZERO TO 250,000 IN ONLY NINE MONTHSPRODUCTION MILESTONE FOR EUROPE'S BEST-SELLING CAR

COLOGNE, April, 23, 2009 – Ford's hot new Ford Fiesta has become the fastest-selling model ever to wear that famous name badge, with the 250,000th example coming off the Cologne, Germany, assembly line just nine months after the car went on sale.

No previous Fiesta model has reached this milestone in such a short period of time.

In March alone European sales soared to 52,800, earning the Fiesta the title of Europe's best-selling car, according to UK automotive business consultancy, JATO Dynamics.

This was the best monthly sales performance of any Fiesta model since August 1996.

The Fiesta has also established itself as the best-selling model in the UK for the fifth consecutive month. In Germany, Fiesta had its best March since 1998.

"The new Fiesta has been a tremendous hit with consumers since it went on sale all over Europe," said Ingvar Sviggum, vice-president of marketing, sales and service, Ford of Europe. "Customers are attracted to Fiesta by its design, the driving experience and affordability of the car."

In Europe the new Fiesta is produced in Cologne and since January this year at Valencia in Spain.

In keeping with its global credentials, Fiesta is also built in Nanjing, China and from 2010 will be produced in Rayong, Thailand and Cuautitlŕn, Mexico.

Sales in North America will start in 2010.

Since the very first Fiesta was launched in 1976, over 12 million have been sold worldwide.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #14
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fiesta is only doing so well because clarkson showed us all what would happen if a man in a big bad black corvette chased you through a shopping centre. Also was great for storming the beach to from memory.

Seriosly its a great car test drove one for my sister compare against mazda 2 and yaris . The yaris was a shocker and the mazda was a good but not nearly a good as the fiesta .
But the lack of availbility stopped her from buying one . By the looks of things fiesta might save fords hide bieng on a global platform would be alot more profitable.

Steve are boys still selling stacks of f-trucks
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are one of the few people to actually have a Fiesta from the first ship load, trying buying a upper spec model now good luck with that. You can't get one for months and months and....... months. And that's making all but the die hard Fiesta fans go elsewhere for a car.

I really believe they would be selling in Falcon like numbers if not better IF they had enough to sell, everyone that's been in ours/seen it etc want's one. The main problem is the Cologne factory is flat out at 2000 cars a day and most of those need to stay in Europe to meet demand over there. They just don't have many to spare for Ford AU. It is a seriously good car, don't be tricked by it's size or being FWD
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
We are one of the few people to actually have a Fiesta from the first ship load, trying buying a upper spec model now good luck with that. You can't get one for months and months and....... months. And that's making all but the die hard Fiesta fans go elsewhere for a car.

I really believe they would be selling in Falcon like numbers if not better IF they had enough to sell, everyone that's been in ours/seen it etc want's one. The main problem is the Cologne factory is flat out at 2000 cars a day and most of those need to stay in Europe to meet demand over there. They just don't have many to spare for Ford AU. It is a seriously good car, don't be tricked by it's size or being FWD
They will be sourcing them from Thailand next year, so FoA can get as many as they need then, and they will be cheaper too due to the FTA with Thailand. They will just have to do what they can until then.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
z80
Banned

I don't suppose anyone noticed that none of the cars listed is a V8?

Just shows you...make a sensible sized car and the world is your oyster.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

You don't say? You mean V8's aren't the no 1 car in europe?? Jeez who would have thought with petrol costing a packet over there.
Old 24-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

Huh? V8's are a rich mans game over in Europe, have been for a long time. With petrol selling in excess of $2 a litre for years economy is the name of the game, hence the popularity of small diesels.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
z80
Banned

Is the Fiesta the diesel version?
Old 24-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #21
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

This is great news for Ford. This current model range they have is paying off in a big way for Ford Europe at the moment, and it shouldn't be too long until it starts to show up out here in OZ. In GB I think Ford have 3 of the top 10 cars (Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo).

Aussie car buyers just have no idea, seriously why else would so many people by Yaris, Corollas, Camrys and Aurions

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

Mate you can't be serious. In Europe, a 2.0L is classed as a big-expensive-to-run-engine the majority of Focus sales (Golf too probably) are the base model 1.4l petrol, not many people can afford to run anything bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Is the Fiesta the diesel version?
It would be all variants of Fiesta, auto and manual, petrol and diesel, base models and higher spec models, every Fiesta sold.
Old 24-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #22
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Steve are boys still selling stacks of f-trucks
Of course not like a year ago, but more than Ford was expecting. The 2009 redesigned model is being very well received. To be blunt, it is STILL the best selling motor vehicle in the US with 81,579 sold through the end of March.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 24-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #23
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Mate you can't be serious. In Europe, a 2.0L is classed as a big-expensive-to-run-engine the majority of Focus sales (Golf too probably) are the base model 1.4l petrol, not many people can afford to run anything bigger.

At the Mustang message boards over here some guys have written in their signatures "My blower has more displacement than the engine in your Honda", which is a dig on the ricer guys.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 25-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #24
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
This is great news for Ford. This current model range they have is paying off in a big way for Ford Europe at the moment, and it shouldn't be too long until it starts to show up out here in OZ. In GB I think Ford have 3 of the top 10 cars (Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo).

Aussie car buyers just have no idea, seriously why else would so many people by Yaris, Corollas, Camrys and Aurions

Aussie car buyers probably buy them cause they use less fuel, like the Europeans.

This thread sort of makes mockery of this statement doesn't it?

QUOTE 9/3/09: While FPV does also have a strong six-cylinder..the V8 is the most important engine with sales split 62/38 per cent in favour of the eight.

“We are still very much a V8 car company,” Mr Barrett said.
Old 26-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Aussie car buyers probably buy them cause they use less fuel, like the Europeans.

This thread sort of makes mockery of this statement doesn't it?

QUOTE 9/3/09: While FPV does also have a strong six-cylinder..the V8 is the most important engine with sales split 62/38 per cent in favour of the eight.

“We are still very much a V8 car company,” Mr Barrett said.
What's your point? Performance car buyers prefer V8's?

Also that statement was made pre FG.