Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Unhappy Terrible week turned worse.

Bit of back Story before the bad stuff..

My brother, best friend and hero Michael went to America a week and a half ago for 3 months as a nice reward holiday after serving two six month tours in Iraq over the last 3 years for the Australian Army. He was working/staying at "Gordyz Wake boarding Camp" which was his passion!

Last Friday my family got a phone call from a local hospital in Wisconsin that informed us that my brother Michael had been in a major boating accident. The wake boarding boat that he was in blew up while he and the owner were cruising along on the lake. All they told us was that he was "really badly burnt" but was allright.

They told us the next day that he only had 1st degree burns ( sigh of relief ) so there was a bit of good news.. Got a phone call this afternoon telling us that there actually 2nd degree burns and hes struggling to cope with the pain ( must be bad considering some of the stuff I've seen him endure with the army! ) Parents are freaking out since the hospital never told him to go back to get them checked out etc to make sure there ok, and they didn't even give him any antibiotic's!

I feel so sorry for my brother, to think he went to war was shot at, had car bombs attempt to blow them up etc and then when hes holidaying he nearly dies in a freak accident. Its hard to deal with because hes so far away and we cant all afford to fly out to see him :(

Ive got a few pics of the boat before and after, and a few of the injuries.

Boat on the right is the boat before

After

The injuries

The last one of his leg is were he is burnt the worst ( very bad on the inner part so makes it hard to walk )

Really depressing week already after finding out my GF might have cancer, and now this.. just isn't fair. Really just needed to let this out.

Dave

pejamas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Jesus mate, thats real bad luck isn't it. Do they know what might have gone wrong in the boat?

As you said, it sucks that your bro risked his life to serve his country and he gets injured on his freakin' holidays!

Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

The fuel line came loose, filled the engine bay up with petrol caught fire and exploded ( all pretty instant )
Old 24-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
azaxr8

depressing news mate.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

really sorry for your brother and you mate, hopefully he will recover ok and quickly too so he can enjoy the rest of his holidays

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

this is very sad news . please contact the australian army. i'm sure they can help !!!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

id give my left nut for a supra.... not a burnt one though!

mate, i cant stand people who dont look on the bright side.
you should be happy that he is still alive! what dosnt kill you makes you stronger!
hope he gets well and back in the water soon!
RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I got burnt last year from an LPG BBQ mishap - mine were 1st to 2nd degree but only about 1/10th the area of your brothers, and they HURT! I feel sorry for him and can only imagine the pain. Nurofen Plus works pretty well. His skin should heal pretty well - certainly not as bad as the GFs cancer scare, but hoping both end up OK.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

My Mum wasa nurse and she has often said that burns caused some of the most horrific pain. Hope all goes well - he will need to be careful of his skin in the sun as it heals. A mate had the top of his head burnt after a bloke flicked kero onto a fire - his Doc told him he is at very high risk of skin cancer.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Thanks for all the kind words guys Yeah the pain is a killer for him at the moment, cant go outside at all for at least 3 weeks. Hes a tough one so I'm sure he will recover fine.
Old 24-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Dear god he's lucky that wasn't worse, cause from those photo's it had the potential to be alot worse.

Mate, my heart goes out to you guys, and your brother, to get through this. Tell him to look for an anasectic spray, called Paxel, in australia to use on his hands and arms, but not his leg, that looks 2nd. Paxel will help relieve the pain on the 1st degree burns. failing that, panadine Forte is awesome
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
bingoTE50
Steve

He wants to keep the areas clean .Infection is the real worry.
I had second degree burns to my face from a radiator and hurt like hell .

A couple of weeks he will be right .
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #13
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shat man this sucks

hope ur bro recovers quickly and i hope ur mrs doesnt have cancer either,

i supose its the time of the year for me to, ive got crook immune system/stomach and docs cant figure out why !

all the best !
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holy crap! any idea what caused the explosion?

i really feel for him, 2nd degree burns are excruiciating, i had about 2/3's of my left hand burnt in a tafe accident and man did it hurt. if i was him i'd be sitting in a bathtub all day long. i attempted to drive myself to my local GP but i couldnt make it, so i went to the local public hospital(bad idea.. 4 hours later i had some cream..)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
Duke
The Duke

Dave - my thoughts are with you today mate.
Whilst the pain of the burn is obviously distressing, he's a tough bloke and he'll get by, I've got no doubt about that, but to find out that your GF may be standing in the line of fire regarding the cancer - That's horrifying!

I sincerely wish your GF the best in her bid to overcome this news and hopefully she'll be cleared.

Stay strong Dave - you are not alone!
Old 25-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the owner of the boat okay?
Old 25-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
james22
With da Warlords

Jeez, that sux. I fell into a campfire once, 2nd and 3rd degree burns up the side of my body. Never been in so much pain in my life. I feel for him...

Fev, for petes sake, try reading the thread for a change... Try post 3 for your answer...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

it just goes to show that no matter how bad you think things are in your own life, there is always someone else in a worse situation... i wish your brother a speedy recovery and prayers that your girlfriend gets the all clear too.
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
holy crap! any idea what caused the explosion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas post #3
The fuel line came loose, filled the engine bay up with petrol caught fire and exploded ( all pretty instant )
That answer your question?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
guitarman
1-2-3-(er)5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
i wish your brother a speedy recovery and prayers that your girlfriend gets the all clear too.
Ditto, mate!!

SERIOUS FUN

* 2003 BA Mk I XT 4.0L Auto Wagon
* 1986 XF GL 4.0L Auto Wagon
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #21
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas
Bit of back Story before the bad stuff..

My brother, best friend and hero Michael went to America a week and a half ago for 3 months as a nice reward holiday after serving two six month tours in Iraq over the last 3 years for the Australian Army. He was working/staying at "Gordyz Wake boarding Camp" which was his passion!

Last Friday my family got a phone call from a local hospital in Wisconsin that informed us that my brother Michael had been in a major boating accident. The wake boarding boat that he was in blew up while he and the owner were cruising along on the lake. All they told us was that he was "really badly burnt" but was allright.

They told us the next day that he only had 1st degree burns ( sigh of relief ) so there was a bit of good news.. Got a phone call this afternoon telling us that there actually 2nd degree burns and hes struggling to cope with the pain ( must be bad considering some of the stuff I've seen him endure with the army! ) Parents are freaking out since the hospital never told him to go back to get them checked out etc to make sure there ok, and they didn't even give him any antibiotic's!

I feel so sorry for my brother, to think he went to war was shot at, had car bombs attempt to blow them up etc and then when hes holidaying he nearly dies in a freak accident. Its hard to deal with because hes so far away and we cant all afford to fly out to see him :(

Ive got a few pics of the boat before and after, and a few of the injuries.

Boat on the right is the boat before

After
[
The injuries
[
Really depressing week already after finding out my GF might have cancer, and now this.. just isn't fair. Really just needed to let this out.

Dave
The good news is he will recover , the best news is when he sues it will be decent compensation , it could be much much worse coulnd't it ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #22
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Thanks again for the kind words guys. He isn't going to sue since hes really good mates with Gordy ( the owner ) because it was just one of those freak accidents. Gordy was burnt as well, but not as bad as my brother, he only just had a new baby girl 2 weeks before it happened, so lucky nothing to serious happened to him either..
Old 25-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #23
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well its good news everyones okay, atleast they now have a good story to tell - always look on the upside and keep ya chin up! good luck mate
Old 25-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #24
Duke
The Duke

Just because they're mates, I wouldn't rule out legal action.
If the mate is insured it'll have little impact on him and the settlement could be worth considering. It can be done without the need for nastiness.
Old 25-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #25
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Get him to Perth, about the best burns unit in the world I believe.
Old 25-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #26
mad cow
blue oval addict

he is a very lucky guy to get away without more injury, i would say that his burns should heal with only a little bit of scarring. my older brother had 3rd degree burns to all his body above his pants line from a petrol fire. he spent 8 months in the alfred burns unit and still has to wear a burn suit (like a thin wetsuit) every day to protect his skin from the sun and will always have to use it. he no longer has nipples or the ability to sweat and even 10 years after the event still has to go back for skin grafts. for the pain side the doctors said if they gave him any more morphine it would kill him, but he was still screaming in pain. it sure is a bummer that a guy who has given so much for our country has his reward ruined in such a blunt and painful way, hoefully he gets better soon so he can complete his trip....
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #27
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Wow!!! That really is sad.
I am really sorry for you mate. Don't know what else to say really. Every thing I think of is pretty lame. I just hope that things are going to get better for your brother and your GF. I am sure they will as good things will always come to good people and your brother certainly deserves the very best for what he has done for our country.
I hope it all works out for your girlfriend too. Keep us posted.
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #28
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Just because they're mates, I wouldn't rule out legal action.
If the mate is insured it'll have little impact on him and the settlement could be worth considering. It can be done without the need for nastiness.
I'd have to agree here. Provided the insurance covers third parties, it doesn't matter whether the third party is a mate or complete stranger.

From the mate's perspective, the insurance company is going to make it's own decision about whether he should pay the excess depending on their view of who caused it. At worst, he will pay the full excess and the insurance company will replace the boat.

If your brother makes a claim as well, the only thing that changes is the insurance company makes a bigger payout, as they should. There isn't much doubt your brother is a legitimate third party whose injuries are a result of the fire and as such, any medical and rehab expenses should be covered by the insurance company.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post