Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden 202 with 4.1L alloy crossflow head?

Did anyone watch Gasolene tonight? Did you see the guy running a 202 Holden engine with a 4.1L alloy crossflow head backwards? Anyone seen this before?

Holden people are always using Ford parts, throttle bodies, C4 autos and now heads, now we know which is the better.

And how was the guy talking up the performance and handling of the Toranas, and then the torana goes around the track with the in cabin camera, tries to keep up with the mustang and then loops it into the kitty litter on a corner!

ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget the old 9 inch diff too.
Oh, and they always compare how fast a new SS or HSV is to a 35 year old GT.
Old 14-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Did anyone watch Gasolene tonight? Did you see the guy running a 202 Holden engine with a 4.1L alloy crossflow head backwards? Anyone seen this before?

Holden people are always using Ford parts, throttle bodies, C4 autos and now heads, now we know which is the better.

And how was the guy talking up the performance and handling of the Toranas, and then the torana goes around the track with the in cabin camera, tries to keep up with the mustang and then loops it into the kitty litter on a corner!
Damien Johnson from Harrop has done that to his torana sports sedan.
He calls it a folden engine.

just found a link.

<<<<<<LINK>>>>>>

KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
mad cow
blue oval addict

i would love to see some pics or a link to this. sounds very interesting.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Did anyone watch Gasolene tonight?
What is this show you are talking about sounds good ive never heard of it.....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm amazed that the bore spacing, head bolts, and the push rods all lined up. Not too mention water jackets, pushrod angles, rocker ratios , and all the **** about plumbing.

I wonder how it performs against a normal 4.1 X/flow? I'm guessing the 202 with its shorter stroke is happy to rev.

Just goes to show where there's a will there's a way
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chanel 31 on free to air tv. Just a cheap channel, get alot of small car shows.
Old 14-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damien's engine looks very similar to a rb30.
Old 14-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

didnt they use the 200ci cranks in their 186s too
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

221 cranks
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
I'm amazed that the bore spacing, head bolts, and the push rods all lined up. Not too mention water jackets, pushrod angles, rocker ratios , and all the **** about plumbing.

I wonder how it performs against a normal 4.1 X/flow? I'm guessing the 202 with its shorter stroke is happy to rev.

Well from the link, it looks like it performs reasonably well with 400hp. Not bad for an N/A 6
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Scott

400hp is very impressive, makes you wonder how he keeps it together.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44

He runs the head backwards, so must all line up pretty good when you do it this way.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats wrong with fitting ford bits on a holden if it works great and I would do it the other way arround with out a 2nd thought.

is it really any worse than say getting some sort of after market head and using it? its just this one came out of a differnt factory

I'd like to see more on this conversion I think it would be very interesting

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
gravelrash

just to add another twist. The alloy crossflow head was actually designed by Yamaha for Ford to use.
gravelrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

Holden guys use C4 autos? WTF?

I'd like to see a reversed mounted x-flow head on a 202. Why hasn't this been done over the last 20 years???
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Aulpgute

Was actually Honda that helped design and used to cast the first alloy head on the mk2 XD in 1980. I believe there is a bit of welding and drilling etc to make the Ford head fit the Holden block.
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

400hp on a 202! That would be fantastic!! I remember a mate who had an XE manual 3.3 and it reved beautifully! Really was a nice fun drive compared to a no revs 4.1.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
whats wrong with fitting ford bits on a holden if it works great and I would do it the other way arround with out a 2nd thought.

is it really any worse than say getting some sort of after market head and using it? its just this one came out of a differnt factory

I'd like to see more on this conversion I think it would be very interesting
As the saying goes "engine doesn't know its brand"
Old 15-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Holden guys use C4 autos? WTF?

I'd like to see a reversed mounted x-flow head on a 202. Why hasn't this been done over the last 20 years???
Yep just like ford guys using powerglides and god only knows how many holden front ends have found there way under hot rods, how many small block chevs are in rods? or holden stubb axels under early falcons?

unless your looking at whats available, and utilising it where ever possible your just a cheque book performance guy in my book

My own Chev run's a heap of parts form other brands

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 15-04-2009 at 12:28 PM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #21
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelrash
just to add another twist. The alloy crossflow head was actually designed by Yamaha for Ford to use.
The alloy head was an evolution of the Ford Aus designed iron head crossflow.
Honda cast the alloy head for Ford as Ford Aus didn't have the ability to cast aluminum back then.

The 221 crank was a good compromise of stroke over capacity in the Ford six block(great for turbocharging) so probably achieves the same in the 202 block which has almost the same size bore as the Ford 6.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelrash
I think you would find that ford designed it, honda cast it...

oh wait, someone beat me...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
The alloy head was an evolution of the Ford Aus designed iron head crossflow.
Honda cast the alloy head for Ford as Ford Aus didn't have the ability to cast aluminum back then.

The 221 crank was a good compromise of stroke over capacity in the Ford six block(great for turbocharging) so probably achieves the same in the 202 block which has almost the same size bore as the Ford 6.
It was the 221 crank in the 186 block. And it wasn't real nice when it was revved over the 5000 RPM mark constantly. Failed reguarly
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #24
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Yep just like ford guys using powerglides and god only knows how many holden front ends have found there way under hot rods, how many small block chevs are in rods? or holden stubb axels under early falcons?

unless your looking at whats available, and utilising it where ever possible your just a cheque book performance guy in my book

My own Chev run's a heap of parts form other brands
Amen Yeti, whatever works! I have owned cars from different camps and IMHO it's about having fun with cars not brand loyalty.

So back in the day I played around with 186 Holden engines a lot. In the mid 80's I finally got one putting out about 320Hp and running 14's over the quarter in an EH. That's nothing now, but back then I was quick
A 400Hp+ red motor n/a I can only dream.

Never heard of anyone running a crossflow head backwards, but some guys were running hemi sixes in toranas. I had heard about the 221 crank swap, but would not do it because it was a Ford part. Now I've lost count of how many Fords I've owed since. The wife still drives a VX at the moment :evil3:
Old 16-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a mate from years past had a falcon 6 crank in his ht monaro , the only fact i can remember is that it was 235 ci, it was very nippy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 03:18 AM   #26
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen pictures of this, not sure if it was from that car but a Ford alloy head on a Holden 6. It didn't look as simple as you would imagine, there was ALOT of extra weld layed down on the head. Also seen a complete Ford 6 into a VL all legal on ebay a while back. Whole car sold for like a grand. That's the easier way to replace a slow 6 with another less slow one
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #27
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
Amen Yeti, whatever works! I have owned cars from different camps and IMHO it's about having fun with cars not brand loyalty.

So back in the day I played around with 186 Holden engines a lot. In the mid 80's I finally got one putting out about 320Hp and running 14's over the quarter in an EH. That's nothing now, but back then I was quick
A 400Hp+ red motor n/a I can only dream.

Never heard of anyone running a crossflow head backwards, but some guys were running hemi sixes in toranas. I had heard about the 221 crank swap, but would not do it because it was a Ford part. Now I've lost count of how many Fords I've owed since. The wife still drives a VX at the moment :evil3:
Ron Harrop of drag racing fame had 350HP out of a red motor in an FX/FJ and ran high 11's. My FJ ute had 260hp and ran 13.8's. This was in the early '70's. The Torana in question is owned by a Harrop employee, may have a bit of Ron's magic applied to it.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #28
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't see what the big deal is really!!! These build ups are purpose made to produce specific results. They just use what aftermarket bits that are freely availble, even if that means OEM from another supplier.

While it is widely accepted that the top loader is bloody strong, the powerglide is also bullet proof. See here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11277896 It is no big deal to see a small block Chev in a T-bucket or 32 coupe hotrod either.

The only time it would and should be a problem (imho) is if this type of modification is done to original build up or resto GT's or GTS's or A9-X's etc., all though I do know that a lot of these also use modified 9" diffs to suit though.

But for circuit or drag racing, then use the best bits you can afford.

edit sorry yeti, should have read your post first.

Bud Bud.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #29
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seen a eh years ago with a 235 holden stroker in it(221 ford crank)
they are abit of work to do
think the bottom of the block has to scalloped from memory ???
then been in a flat 13 sec LJ with a stock bottom end 202
alot of port work was done, whole car cost 3.5 K and wieghted under a tonne
this said torana with the ford head, hmmm i wonder how much $$$ it cost to do
maybe there are rules in the class it runs where it must retain the holden block ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #30
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

To fit a 221 crank into a 186 block, the base of the bore needs to be scolloped out, so the crank spins freely. The rear of the ford crank also needs to be cut off, so the holden part can be put on.

Back about 20 years ago now, it cost about $5,000 to do this crank change. That didn't include the rest of the motor.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post