Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Travel plans through nsw - update me please

Hi, I'm driving to bris next weekend from adelaide and the current flood situation in Forbes has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. i've been keeping an eye on the situation via the live RTA web link and also the bom site predictions. if there are any locals on these forums who can give me more of an accurate idea of the situation, please help me by updating this thread with what you know.

i believe the road is now open as far as west wyalong, although from goolgowi i'm expecting a few roadworks as that was blocked a few days ago. i didn't think that highway could get any worse but i was wrong it seems. was already a goat track.

my main concern is the flood direction. according to the bom site, it is heading in the Hay direction (murrimbidgee river obviously) but apparently thats not expected to peak until 21st march, which will be 4 days after i'm due there. so although the situation in Forbes is predicted to be passable within the week, i'm a bit worried i might get caught out as the flood goes south west. Darlington point is now underwater (hope the members on here are ok!!) and the next major centre is Hay so it depends how quickly things travel and how much they subside as they go.

i have a couple of alternate plans although both are subject to possible future flooding. i can go via broken hill/wilcannia/cobar etc through to gilgandra but wilcannia is expecting floods 'early april' which should be fine for me, but mother nature doesn't always read the script.

the other option is to head toward albury in the south and then up toward sydney. obviously a much longer route but if the roads are blocked, what can you do?

anyway, just throwing it all out there and if anyone can offer some local knowledge of the present and future situations, please do so.

thanks
Rob

prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Travel plans through nsw - update me please

not sure which way you're going but if you are heading up through Broken hill the last I heard there was a temporary bridge in operation

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
prydey
Rob

yeah, barrier highway is now open. that is plan b at this stage. plan a is the way i normally go which is out the freeway, mallee hwy, sturt hwy, hay, westwyalong, forbes, parkes, dubbo etc etc. i'm still hoping in another few days it will be open.

in the 30 odd years i've been travelling back and forth we've only come across water over the road once before this time of year and that was passable (also at west wyalong). these floods are apparently some of the worst since records have been kept.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i beleive wagga wagga is flooded so the long way around is no benifit.

broken hill, bourke, moree.
moree maybe still flooded tho
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
prydey
Rob

i believe east of wagga is ok. obviously can't get through via hay etc, which is why i said i'd have to go as far south as albury (via swan hill or horsham) and then up.

bourke is also flooded which is why i'd go east on the mitchell hwy through to gilgandra.

i believe north of forbes all the roads are open, although the condition is questionable on some.

thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Check this out...

http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/desktop.html
Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i've been keeping an eye on the situation via the live RTA web link and also the bom site predictions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Strap XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Yes they did
i have been looking for something like this, i am doing brisbane back to Perth on the 27/3 and this clearly shows my route to be cactus.

hopefully it is updated regularly and it clears up by then

does anyone know if these "main trucking routes" are resealed quickly or would i be better to go through NT.

Cheers,
Strap XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
my main concern is the flood direction. according to the bom site, it is heading in the Hay direction (murrimbidgee river obviously) but apparently thats not expected to peak until 21st march, which will be 4 days after i'm due there. so although the situation in Forbes is predicted to be passable within the week, i'm a bit worried i might get caught out as the flood goes south west. Darlington point is now underwater (hope the members on here are ok!!) and the next major centre is Hay so it depends how quickly things travel and how much they subside as they go.
You've just about got it covered Rob.

The Stuart hwy between Hay and Darlington Pt will probably be closed for a week or so as the water is expected to get to Carrathool on Thursday, so that way would be out.

Plan C could be Tailem Bend, Ouyen, Swan Hill, Kerang, Cross the River at Barham then Deniliquin, Conargo (pick up a Conargo Pub sticker ) then Jerilderie.

The Narrandera water should have gone down by Thurs, but if it's still blocked you could head for Wagga from Jerilderie via Lockhart.

My company will be back running the Melb-Bris Shuttle through here from Wed. So whoever they've been speaking too expect the Newell to be back to it's magnificent best by then.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm doing the same trip Adelaide to Forster this Friday and back by the following Wednesday, with these detours I will spend the whole time driving!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

thanks Rog, i think the sticking point at the moment will be Hay. it all depends how quickly the water gets there. if i can get past Hay, i should be ok. most reports say forbes will be open within the week, so its just a race against the murrimbidgee and see who gets to Hay first.

i assume the melb - bris run goes through wagga and out to west wyalong?

brazen - see you on the road.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Yeah Rob, have a look at the RTA map, about half way between Darlington Pt and Hay is Carrathool and the SES is expecting it to peak there on Thurs.
The wave shouldn't reach Hay until Monday at the earliest.

Have you checked this site....
http://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/news/2012/...UpdateRiverina
At Darlington Point the Murrumbidgee peaked overnight near 7.8m with major flooding.
At Carathool, the river is expected to peak near 8.8 metres around Thursday (15/3/12) with major flooding and at Hay Town it is expected to peak near 9.1 metres around 21/3/12 with major flooding.
Then Balranald Weir where it is expected to peak near 7 metres mid April with major flooding

Now, which way did you say you taking to get home
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

funnily enough, i'm not at all concerned with how long the return journey takes.

ring ring, sorry newstyle, road is blocked, see you when i see you

i'm contemplating leaving friday night which would put me in the Hay area saturday morning (17th) so should be fine if mother nature follows the script!!

i think i've scoured the internet for every available bit of news and did come across that ses page, thanks.