Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Your Favourite Restaraunt or Cafe

After going to a really nice place to eat in the Swan Valley yesterday I thought I would look for a topic that you could post places you like and reccommend. I couldn't find one so decided to make a topic. In here post Cafe's and Restaraunts you like to eat at and recommend to others.

I am in Perth for a week and took my mrs to the Swan Valley for the day for her birthday. Best part was it was Kid free. We went to the Dukstein Brewery but after waiting 15mins in a line of 15 people to order and only moving 2 spots forward, then realising it would be over and hour for food, I went to the mrs and said lets go. We ended up at a joint called Mad Hatters, we didn't have a booking but they got us a table (we were lucky as the other people coming after us were being turned away). The staff there were excellent, very professional and very friendly.

The food was brilliant. We started with toasted turkish with olive oil and balsamic, shared an Entree of these creamy rice balls which surrounded a peice of mozzerella and were crumbed and fried with a tamato chutney. Our mains were Calamari, which was dusted and fried and served with a garlic aioli and I had the creamy garlic prawns. Now we both had Entree size but their Entree was easily another restaraunts main. The Calamari was excellent, it just melted in your mouth no chewing or anything, as were the prawns. The best part was our main was 30mins after our starter and Entree which I love, I hate going to a restaraunt that serves a main 10mins after your entree or in some cases while your still eating it.

Now I also enjoyed a carona and a blue tongue light (was driving).

All this was only $69.50. I am a very hard person to please when we go out eating (yes I am the guy who scrutinises everything) but I have not a bad word about this place and I left them a tip. So Mad Hatters in the Swan Valley (Perth for you Eastern Staters) is highly recommended.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Ziggabalis at Strathpine (Italian restaurant)
Awesome food for the right price
Old 31-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Entree of these creamy rice balls which surrounded a peice of mozzerella and were crumbed and fried with a tamato chutney.
Arancini. Yum

Best Italian I have found is a place in Camberwell - Andiamo. For the best Thai - Rama Thai on Burke Road Glen Iris.
Old 31-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

visted el mexicana(vic) last month and went to the queen street markets, had a feed in the food court at a place called RIPE, must say havent tasted a burger that would come close to beating a well known burger joint here in WA called alfreds and this one IMO came really close.

will be going back there again when vist melbourne again later in the year.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If you are in Adelaide, Enzo's on port road are by far one of the best Italian restaurants around. I highly reccomend eating there.
Also, I ate at Wah Hing on gouger street on Saturday, fantastic Chinese food, not your typical Cantonese stuff, proper traditional Chinese food.
Fortune Duck is another, again on gouger street, and specializes in Duck and pork dishes. I suggest if anyone is in Adelaide, try these places.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Alfred's Kitchen in Guildford WA have been making THE BEST burgers and Pea & ham soup since I can remember! Use to love going there in Winter, sitting around the open fire and having some fantastic food!

Now I feel Homesick :(
Old 31-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Alfred's Kitchen in Guildford WA have been making THE BEST burgers and Pea & ham soup since I can remember! Use to love going there in Winter, sitting around the open fire and having some fantastic food!

My dear, you are most welcome back in WA anytime you like!!!
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

There was /is? an Italian Restaurant called "Leo's" in Granville, NSW. It was not far from the railway station, you would not take someone there trying to impress them with the surroundings, but the atmosphere, quality & quantity of food was excellent. The damage to the hip pocket was reasonable as well. His daughter had a restaurant in Merrylands as well, I dunno about the food there, but she was excellent on the old optic nerve!!!
Old 31-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do not fine dine, because I find it crap value too often.

Two places I frequent are:

Sofia's - basically a better version of La Porchetta, and top value (I get chicken - I can do pasta at home, and I can buy pizzas up the road)

Zest 89 - located in Glen Waverley on The Kingsway (which is basically a Cafe strip now), they serve basic meals such as risottos, salad, steak, chicken or lamb skewers, fish, as well as specials which vary week to week. 20-25 for a main generally. Not bad for the price.

One place I don't recommend in Glen Waverley is Shine. Some waitresses don't smile or hardly even talk to you, the food is expensive and the serving size is very, very poor (piled up artistically, but lacking in substance). Their breakfasts have downsized majorly. One of their managers only ever talks to you when she wants to sell you dessert, otherwise she won't even ask you how you are.

That's my take.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wildfire - West Circular Quay, Sydney

La Bora - Barrack St, Sydney (Best Italian Cuisine)

Bukhara Indian Restaurant - Caringbah NSW (A top class Indian restaurant)

Le Sands - Brighton Le Sands NSW (Best Seafood)
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If your on the Gold Coast and are looking for a good breaky THIS is your place, fantastic is all ill say.
Old 31-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise

dont forget there sweet lamb curry... nom nom nom nom

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you love steak Vlados in Richmond.. if you enjoy a seaside view and been "seen" the Stokehouse in StKilda, if you enjoy your wine and a great menu the Tender Trap in East Doncaster.. If you love big meals in a great setting Limores in caufield.

Old 31-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
Dodge
i like to be stroked

if u like a pizza that u need to carry home with both arms, bellisimo at birkdale qld, or thai orchard at mt gravatt, wilsons seafood portside hamilton, for a sweet tooth u got to try freestyle at emporium or west end
almost forgot the best ribs in the world,, hehhe exit 77 past the gold coast hwy Mikes kitchen, u buy 1 kg of ribs with his magic sauce and dig in .
mmmm im in china right now suffering because food is cheap and full of chillie and oil. im in chengdu famous for beautiful girls and hot pot food
Old 31-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I go to Skyways in Airport West, its a pub and they do a good well done steak, thats all I get there so I can't comment on their other food haha.

Steak with chips, none of that green crap.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #16
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
if u like a pizza that u need to carry home with both arms, bellisimo at birkdale qld, or thai orchard at mt gravatt, wilsons seafood portside hamilton, for a sweet tooth u got to try freestyle at emporium or west end
almost forgot the best ribs in the world,, hehhe exit 77 past the gold coast hwy Mikes kitchen, u buy 1 kg of ribs with his magic sauce and dig in .
mmmm im in china right now suffering because food is cheap and full of chillie and oil. im in chengdu famous for beautiful girls and hot pot food
This will come in handy for the GT Nationals in QLD next year, thanks for the info !!! Greg.
Old 31-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
Springfield_Johny

In Brisbane, there's a really good mexican restuarant opposite the home maker centre in Jindalee (near subway) and a really good Thai restuarant in Springfield Lakes (opposite the pub) that me and the wife visit regularly. Both are good value, service & we've never had a complaint about the meals.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #18
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I go to Skyways in Airport West, its a pub and they do a good well done steak,.
There is no such thing as a good well done steak. Oxymoron of the century.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #19
seduced_xr
BF XR6

fast eddys cannington. only restaurant i know thats open at 4am
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i live in my shed.. little sister and hubby live inside my house.. always get a good feed when i sneak inside at tea time.. hehehehe
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #21
EgoFalcon
The Villan

JD's Italian Restaurant near campbelltown nsw. Mmmmmm...... chicken snitzel with diane sauce.... I am very hungry now.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #22
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFalcon
JD's Italian Restaurant near campbelltown nsw. Mmmmmm...... chicken snitzel with diane sauce.... I am very hungry now.
You go to an Italian restaurant for schnitzels?

Best Italian restaurant I've been to was actually in Italy. In a little town called Buenconvento just outside Sienna. It was actually run by a family. Mum and Dad doing the serving, Nonna out back cooking and the kids on another table doing their homework. The best meal we had in Italy and also one of the cheapest too!

As for back home, in Gawler North of Adelaide, there is a bitsa restaurant. They do Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Malaysian food. It's called the Bamboo Hut and they do some nice, cheap meals there. Team it up with an $8.50 move at the Gawler cinema next door and you've got a nice, cheap night out!
Closer to home, 1918 Restaurant in Tanunda does great meals along with Vitners out near Angaston. For some great pizza, Roaring 40's cafe up in Angaston have won awards for their pizza's. And they taste great too!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #23
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
fast eddys cannington. only restaurant i know thats open at 4am

Are you serious. I remember going to fast eddy's all the time when I was younger (grew up in Perth) and it was great, went to cannington after a movie and my jaw dropped when they asked $15 for a hotdog, and it wasn't even that good. Not to mention we got ignored by the very guy who sat us down, he walked past us 3 times and never took our order or gave us a menu. After 30mins I went to the counter and asked to order there. The same idiot then asked me what table we were, thinking we had already eaten and were ready to pay. The worst part about the whole thing was there was about 15 other people in the restaraunt, I mean ffs was he on drugs or something.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #24
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'n my local area I have 3
Kravings at Kermond (modern Australian)
Biviano's in Windsor (Italian)
The Curry Hut at North Richmond (Indian)

away from home I like

Nicks sea food at cockalbay
ABHI's in Strafeild (Indian)

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If you love big meals in a great setting Limores in caufield.
2nd that!! The BBQ platters are a must, and great value.

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Georges Paragon in either Sanctuary Cove or Southport QLD. I never fail to make a visit every time I go up there. By far my favorite seafood restaurant I have ever been to.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #27
Dodge
i like to be stroked

take ur scales if u go to georges, he was done for selling 700 gram crabs at 1kg price.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #28
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
take ur scales if u go to georges, he was done for selling 700 gram crabs at 1kg price.
First I knew of this. I never ordered crabs before. I usually go the seafood paragon.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #29
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The great seafood rip-off, how much is actually edible meat and how much is shell?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy
There is no such thing as a good well done steak. Oxymoron of the century.
Pfft, Steak has to have char grill lines on it, and not be the slightest bit pink at all to be good.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post