Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
''Clean Keto diet with prolonged fasting can reverse Some situations''
Any diet can. Doesnt need to be keto. It's the fasting that clears liver fat, not the foods you're allowed to eat on the diet.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #2
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Any diet can. Doesnt need to be keto. It's the fasting that clears liver fat, not the foods you're allowed to eat on the diet.
So I can fast for 2 days then go back to vegetable/seed oils, sugar, processed gains, alcohol, snacking in between meals, having smoothies with 9 oranges in it, Maggi crap, condiments, sports drinks and not have a fatty liver? I'm all for that.

Keto is not a diet, it's how our fore-fathers lived. I shouldn't have mentioned diet because diets never work (my mistake) - most crash and burn and end up putting on more weight.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #3
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could place this in multiple threads. Weight loss, Covid, depression and anxiety, mental illness.

You can't see what's happening?

Old 22-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Diabetes myths busted -
Busting some of the common myths associated with diabetes.

https://www.medibank.com.au/livebett...hwm&utm_idnt=A
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Type 1 and Type 2 conditions have been able to make use of technology in the form of CGM's (constant glucose monitoring) over the last few years, and like everything the technology is always advancing. A company called Dexcom have had a device that for a while now that links to your mobile phone, so you can see what your blood glucose level is at all times. This is incredibly handy and eliminates the need for constant checking by the use of finger pricks etc.

A new diabetic pump has just been approved for sale in Australia (been in america for a while, Therapeutic Goods Australia TGA are a bit stricter) which is a brand called Tandem.

The beauty of this is they have also worked in conjunction with Dexcom so that the pump and cgm can be linked, and therefore create a closed loop system. This brings even more automation to the treatment. The other main brand, medtronic, also has a similar setup using their own cgm, but its not as good or accurate.

This gives the pump the ability to suspend insulin if the cgm (dexcom g6) detects the BG going low, even before it gets to a critical level. There is an update coming where the pump can have the ability to increase insulin if the levels are going high as well.

My youngest daughter just changed over to this pump and cgm about a couple of weeks ago and really pleased with it. My daughter has adapted quite well to it after 4-5 years of medtronic.

Another massive improvement dexcom have made it possible for the user to have 'followers'. As a parent of a child with type1 this is incredibly helpful. I can now look up the app on my phone and receive the info from my daughters cgm. So even if I'm at work and she's at school, I can keep an eye on her levels, providing her phone stays within 6m of her sensor.

So yes, we are very lucky to be dealing with these diseases when technology can play such a massive part of people's lives.
Old 14-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #6
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 14-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

I'm glad that family eventually got on top of the issues with their daughter, but I'm not sure what the point of the video was, or the point of it being posted here??

To me, it's something that would get posted by someone who has no clue about living with or managing type 1 diabetes.
Old 20-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I'm glad that family eventually got on top of the issues with their daughter, but I'm not sure what the point of the video was, or the point of it being posted here??

To me, it's something that would get posted by someone who has no clue about living with or managing type 1 diabetes.
It's CoupeKings way of saying that Pete Evans is alive and well.
Old 22-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #9
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
It's CoupeKings way of saying that Pete Evans is alive and well.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #10
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I had my 6 month check in with my Endocrinologist earlier this week. I have never met the man in person as all our appointments have been via telehealth, but his approach to managing my diabetes has been refreshing after years of insensitive doctors who only look at the numbers in black and white. My endo is the head of diabetes research at Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute, I was refereed to him a few years ago on the advise this man was be most helpful to my situation.

I went into the session this week with the intent of perusing an insulin pump, as I felt now was the time to make the step. My doctor thought I should start with a CGM first and see if I can get some better control from that alone and then assess if a insulin pump would needed later. The thought being here is that if I can get better control outside of the times when I do blood tests, then I may not need a pump. And this is why I like this doctor, past endo's were pushing me in a direction I wasn't ready for or needed. Again, the black and white mentality not suiting every patient.

I have used the Freestyle Libre before but was not especially impressed. Since then, the sensor has been updated so I feel like it's worth having another go at using them. I just need to find an efficient way to keep them attached securely. Due to my work outdoors, I was having issues with the adhesive peeling in hot conditions. These sensors last 14 days and cost $94 a pop, I don't qualify for subsidies, if the sensor falls off in that period, it can not be re-attached.

Anyway, I keep trying to manage this as best I can.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #11
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post

Yeah sure. Not a qualified nutritionist, not even a medical doctor. A chiropractor. Even worse, a Scientologist. Bah humbug.

I have 2 siblings with T2 and had 2 with Pre T2 indicators. When i go home i am amazed at the crap they eat. I probably look like i eat a pie every day but thats thanks to 30 years of cortisone injections, yet my non fasting levels are in the middle of normal fasting range.

Health "professionals " and others need to stop making the false assumption high bmi = T2. BMI has been discredited for years anyway.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I have a coworker friend who is long term diabetic on Insulin and Metformin who always struggled with diet and glucose control until he went on Ozempic pen, started at at baby dose 0.25 mg and progressed to 0.5 mg and bam, his readings went to 5 or 6 and stopped spiking above 7 or 8.

I was so impressed that I asked my doctor if it was worth a shot, my condition had slowly worsened last year to fasting 16 and peaks over 21. Since January, I have progressed to 1 mg Ozempic dose per week with Metformin and seen my fasting fall to 9 this morning and a peak of 13 during the day and this is my third week at 1 mg Ozempic, to say that I’m stoked is an understatement.

Back to GP on Friday, hopefully i can avoid insulin for now but who knows.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2022, 10:24 PM   #13
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's really sad to see that they only let under 21's, preg, elderly to qualify when you think about it a person at the age of 21 and over is still very VERY much in need of these!!!!,
right at possibly the worst financial time in their life they mostly have left home so all the bills that come with that are there a lot at uni so will really be struggling to make ends meet.
they'll be going out etc etc probably the worst time to take it off them..

if they don't let every one have access to these the government will still have a lot of old diabetics in the future on welfare due to complications eyes/heart/kidneys

it makes sense to keep the tax payer healthy so they can keep their hands in our pockets rather than ours in theirs... lol lol

from memory i went from averaging around 12-14 HBA1C every 3 months when younger to in the 8's with a pump at the age of 25
then got censor's when they came out and sometimes in the 6's now

for me now it's all about knocking the peaks off my CGM graphs i have a very bad habit of bolusing after i eat or sometimes forgetting to bolus the CGM and pump are a god send for me

i'm the opposite of DFB FGXR6 i get up in the morning literally like i don't have T1 i wouldn't transition into normal life when and "if" a cure ever comes as i already sort of live like that it's been my biggest down fall a bad habit that i'v never been able to shake

also DFB FGXR6 the hole on the libre is not supposed to be covered thats why some of the patches have a cut out it's like a breather hole for the plastic part it only needs to a tinny cut out if doing it yourself i sometimes still work in building industry and casually in boilers in the power industry so i was knocking these off easily
i found rock tape to be the easiest cheapest most accessible and taking your T-shirt/singlet off is the worst culprit to ripping them off

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker

Last edited by jakkes; 17-04-2022 at 10:33 PM.
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2022, 10:46 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes View Post
also DFB FGXR6 the hole on the libre is not supposed to be covered thats why some of the patches have a cut out it's like a breather hole for the plastic part it only needs to a tinny cut out if doing it yourself i sometimes still work in building industry and casually in boilers in the power industry so i was knocking these off easily
i found rock tape to be the easiest cheapest most accessible and taking your T-shirt/singlet off is the worst culprit to ripping them off
I believe that advise was for original Libre sensor, the Libre 2 can be fully covered.

https://rockadex.com.au/collections/...atches-10-pack

"Libre patches manufactured on a 3M medical grade hypoallergenic long wearing tape that wont fray. Patches will come precut to the selected option. Yes you can use the full coverage ones on any device it does NOT have to have a cutout."
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2022, 01:22 AM   #15
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems they have changed their procedure as iv returned many of these about 8-10 and they started giving insertion procedure at the end of the phone call for the last two I had replaced and they strictly instructed me not to cover the hole

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2022, 01:33 AM   #16
prydey
Rob

My daughter has been on libre2 for quite some time and never had any issues with hole being covered. Nothing in the instructions about keeping it uncovered either.
Old 18-04-2022, 06:51 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes View Post
Seems they have changed their procedure as iv returned many of these about 8-10 and they started giving insertion procedure at the end of the phone call for the last two I had replaced and they strictly instructed me not to cover the hole
I started out with the breather hole patches but went to the full coverage ones after Prydey mentioned his daughter used them. The full coverage patches suit my lifestyle better and mean I don't have to worry about knocking them off at work.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 10:51 PM   #18
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Significant day for me, CGM sensors are now subsidized for all Type 1 diabetics from today, July 1 2022.

Because I am an existing user, I'm eligible for a "streamlined access pathway, which may enable faster subsidized access to FreeStyle Libre 2". This will save me having to see my Endocrinologist for approval.

This will end up saving me the better part of $200 a month, $2400 a year.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 11:10 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Yes it's great that is finally a reality. It made no sense to only have it up to a certain age when it's a life long condition.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #20
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Received notification today that I had qualified for the "streamlined access pathway" for Libre sensors.

I will be able to shop for these at my local chemist from July 11 at a cost of $32.50 per month. That compares to $194.10 including shipping per month previously.

Now - $390 per year
Previously - $2329.20 per year
Difference - $1939.20 per year!
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 11:17 PM   #21
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Completely off topic, but my old man used to love anything that was aniseed or licorice. That included black jelly beans. Whenever I visit his grave, I like to take some black jelly beans with me to 'share' with him. Glucojel are the only brand of black jelly beans I can get these days, so they're my go to.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 11:22 PM   #22
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another thing in Glucojel's favor is that they are still generously sized compared to the pathetic Allen's equivalent.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2024, 09:50 PM   #23
Trendseeker

Could have been this one?
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...el-beer-garden
Old 25-04-2024, 05:06 PM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Racing pulse, cold sweats/clammy hands, pale skin, tremors in hands. I used to get these episodes when I was younger and underweight after major physical activity. Then when I got older and overweight, it would happen after having a softdrink on an empty stomach - 5-10min later, hands get clammy, hands shake, heartrate goes up. Stops happening altogether when I lose weight.

My dad refuses to go on a pump, but he manages his sugar pretty poorly. Wildly overestimates how much sugar he needs to get himself back to a healthy range. So his BGL is chronically high, and he has eye issues now :/
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post