Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default September 11th

It doesn't seem like it's been (almost) ten years since that fateful day, where were you when you heard? I was eleven at the time and I remember waking up to the coverage on the Today show, I thought it was a movie at first glance. It was a school sports day and it was the only thing anyone talked about.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: September 11th

RIP and thoughts to all those that lost someone that day.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

10 years already.

i was sitting in my flat at maroochydore watching Sandra Sully read the late news as i did most nights.

flashed over that a plane had hit the tower and my first thought was that seemed a bit suspect. then while we watched the second plane came in and i knew right then that it was the end of the world as we knew it. this was no accident.
i sat up and watched until about 4am then had to go to bed ready for work next day.

even now whenever i think of it i think of R.E.M.`s song "the end of the world as we know it".

rip to all the inicent victims. from that day and from all the s*** that gone down since and continues to this day.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I woke up in the morning:

NO POKEMON OR CHEEZTV FOR ME.

I feel sorry for the families and everyone involved in that, except for the perps who planned and executed it.

I'm very interested in it, anyone here know any good doco's on it? Being the 10th anniversary there should be something good in the works
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember being at highschool and waking up at some stupid hour and put tv on and seen it all over the tv.
Crazy to think 10 years has passed.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

writting a cv for brother inlaw, after a few cans, late at night, he says, "ah, it happens all the time...."
country folk lol!

i had to fly to hong kong on the twelth to live..... won't forget that starting date in a hurry!
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Whiskeyonesix

I was working as a contractor at an RAF base back in England decomissioning the old Series III military Land-Rovers.
I remember an RAF Corporal coming over to the compound where I was working and saying "You, stay in here and don't bloody move until I come back"
So I carried on working, totally oblivious to what had happened - then hearing jets taking off and realising that something big had gone on.

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

My friends mother passed away on that horrible day. She was in the twin towers. I will never forget getting his phone call....sad day indeed.

May they all R.I.P.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I was sitting in my lounge room be-moaning the fact i had lost my wallet that day with over $400 in it because my plastic bag with my stuff in it was rubbing on my front wheel of my bike dodging a swooping magpie...

The news girl at the time Sandra Sully just kept talking as paper was handed to her over and over .. i didn't sleep that night!

I have only recently replaced my tickets of competency that were in that wallet and it seems like only yesterday that i realised there is always someone worse off...

RIP all the victims and god be with all the survivors affected by this ..
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was 10.
Woke up in the morning and was watching them show footage of the plane crash.
I knew it was a bad thing but it didn't worry me to much since I was still half asleep. I changed the channel to watch something else, but it was on every channel.
I then knew it was more serious then I initially thought.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

indeed that was a shocker, but it did`nt hit home till the 2nd jet hit, when the 2nd one hit i thought omg someone has declared war on the US.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Yeah, I was only 6 (I think.... My memory isn't wanting to play ball tonight...) and woke up in the middle of the night for something to eat and to get the sega console out to play a few games...

So I Turned the TV on, and saw that two large building's had just had a "big plane" go through it, which I didn't think was possible....

So I played the SEGA console for the rest of the night, then in the morning it was still on and I asked my parent's "What happened on TV?" They couldn't believe it, and I knew damn well something wasn't right...

RIP to all those sadly killed on September 11th... I know what I'll be doing at 8:45am on the 9th/11/2011...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
fmc351
let it burn

I cant remember if I changed the channel, or just turned on TV, or hopped off the computer. But I recall I thought it was some stupid TV show or mocumentary, just didnt seem real. Changed channels and knew it was real when it was on there too.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
cartaa100
FG POWER

i was home from school and saw it all over the news

RIP To the lost loved ones.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #15
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

I was home with the chicken pox, and was glued to the tv for days from 5am that morning. Still feels like yesterday.....

Rip to those who lost their lives and prayers to their families
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
nstg8a

i was working nights, and every night id get home id turn on bbc cos every other channel has infomercials at that time of the night.

sat up and watched every minute of it well into the next day. very surreal.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #17
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in year 9, at school that week we did no work, just sat and watched it all on TV's in each class room.

Crazy that it's been 10 years. For me that was the day that taught me the world was a mongrel of a place, life has never been the same since then...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #18
jackson105

I was off work sick at the time, was wathcing stingers on channel 9 when it flashed across the bottom of the screen, then stingers cut and it went live, never forget seeing that second plane hit, the roar and whistle of that jet. My best mate sms saying "johnny i think the us is at war" i channeled surfed the entire night between free to air and foxtel, theb rushed out and got the paper. The world lost its innocence that day, and we will never forget those who died, those who gave there lives eg nypd,nyfp,nypa, and all abored flight 93. and the countless losses since from all the service man and woman across the world. It's just a shame that no one will remember the day we got the bastard responsible. I think all of us as human beings owe it to ourselves and each other never to forget 9/11

2006 Ford ZC Escape XLT

2009 FPV GS Build # 105 in Ego
jackson105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #19
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was my son-in-laws 21st Birthday (11/09/2001), we were at home
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #20
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

I was at the movies and my friend was ringing me over and over, I sms'd him saying I'm at the cinemas and he goes watch TV as soon as you get home.

It was like I was watching a movie still when I turned it on, a very surreal feeling :(
Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #21
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had just gone to bed, then dad knocked on my door and said a plane had just crashed into something (he was watching foxtel) so I got up and watched it unfold all night. pretty damn sad. R.I.P to all those who lost there lives that day.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #22
hawker

I was on a break from my first year at uni. I was home, and the first I knew of it was Dad waking me up telling me something big had happened in the states. Sat glued to the TV for the best part of the morning... Not something I'll forget in a hurry. Sort of like Princess Diana's funeral or the Thredbo landslide.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

At home, in bed watching west wing, and then it cuts over to this plane in a building - thought it was part of west wing until we changed channels to find it on every channel.

My wife's uncle worked in the Deutschbank building just down the road - he got out, some of his workmates didn't. He retired soon after.

RIP to all thpse who died, and fond memory's for all their family and friends, and "no guilt" for the survivors of that day.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #24
EATHSV
Oo---oO

It broke on radio first, was listening to the late night music in bed. 'Breaking news airliner smashes into world trade centre' turned on the tv... informercials.
Back to music then again. Turned on the TV again and saw the smoke. Got mum and dad up and watched it on our new 42in plasma. Saw the second plane hit live.... I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT SIGHT. Myself, mum, dad and my brother watched it all night. Couldn't believe what we were seeing... The USA under attack! The most powerful nation in the world on its knees..
I can remember the whole world practically stopping for about a month after that.

RIP all those who died for no reason in the towers, on the ground, the pentagon and the heros abord United Airways flight 93. Also to all of the brave military personal whatever their nationallity who have been killed or injured catching those bastards responsable.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 AM   #25
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Wow, 10 years. 21 to 31 has flown by.
I worked/still do arvos, 3pm to 11pm.
Came home & watched the TV all night. Still have 2 or 3 VCR tapes of it somewhere as I hit record at some point.
Ducked out and got the paper about 8am (likely still have that too). Back home to watch some more til 11am when I figured, work in 4hrs means I better get some sleep.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #26
Danny
GT4.

I was 15 and just had been to a school social the night before. It must have happened while I was sleeping because mum woke me up in the morning by turning on my TV and saying "look what's happening in America"

Like everyone else it didn't seem real to me what I was seeing, almost thought it was a movie even though I knew it wasn't. Went to school that day, and after the initial assembly we were told not to talk of it.

Still, all my mates were convinced there'd be world war 3 and that we would all have to fight. It sounds racist, but that day I think Bin Laden's crew did a massive injustice for those of Arabic descent, and those of the Islamic faith. A lot of racial vilification stems from the acts perpetrated on this day.

The worst thing I remember though was the trash talk mags like new idea and who magazine and NW and their "special pull out sections" covering the disaster. One in particular unbelievably quoted the (fake) Nostradamus email hoax (the one which signifies that the "third big war will begin while the new city is burning") in large italics imbedded on a photo of the destruction. Bloody unforgivable for a national publication...

Last edited by Danny; 06-09-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #27
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I was 20, had turned in for an early night, at like 5am a friend who was in year 12 rung up as i normally gave him a lift to school wednesdays saying "Americas under attack bro turn on the TV". I did and my mind was blown.
I remember straight away thinking of one of my good customers at work saying the day before his son (who was my age) was going for a tour the next morning of the WTT and was so excited. Lucky for that guy, his son was a bit of a stoner and slept in and missed the tour that morning !!!
RIP to all those lives lost.
Damo, i too was quite interested, alot of 'theorist' docos out there, but remember i watched a doco a few years back something about "the falling man", wasnt too bad.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife was feeding our 3 month old son, I was a sleep and she woke me to tell me what was happening. Didn't really take in any of what she was saying, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. Saw it on the news next day.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #29
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

yeah sad time in history.

i was in year 10 at school. my alarm with the radio woke me u saying the towers had been hit, still half asleep didnt believe it, turned the telly on to see one of the towers get hit (i think it was the second one)
all anyone talked about. one of our teachers lost his twin brother in one of the towers, hit our school pretty hard.

RIP

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #30
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was working underground and was on a phone call to the surface controller. he had the TV on and told me a plane had just hit the first tower. I assumed he mean't a light plane like a Cessna or something. i knew from a doco i'd seen once the building was designed to take a hit from a plane so thought nothing of it. then after the second plane hit, he rang back and told me what had actually happened. after getting home i spent all that day glued to the TV and struggled big time at work that night through lack of sleep... sept 12th is my wife's birthday and of course with the time difference, that is when it happened for us here, so i am constantly reminded of when it happened.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post