Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry the cost of living is going up...

G'day all,

Ive recently received an energy bill, and given its been winter, the extra use of the heater and clothes dryer than other times of the year, the cost of living as your all aware is soaring. Im currently with Origin, for both electricity and gas. I received a letter in late 2010 stating that the prices for origin would increase, and received another in July this year. Its rediculous.

For thos other south Aussies, have you noticed that with heavy rains etc. that SA water have not reduced the cost of water, even though we no longer need to preserve as we did through tough drought?

Which energy providers do you beleive offer the cheapest rates?

Any discussion or links to news articles is apprecieted.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: the cost of living is going up...

i was surprised my last energy bill was actually less than last year. granted we're a bit more conscious of how we use energy now, but it was a pleasant surprise as i was expecting a bit of a slug. i've swapped from intergral to origin in the meantime...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I received my water bill the other day, increased from $170 odd dollars same time last year to around $250 - but I actually used less water.

I will have to do the old comparison for my gas and electricity and see if there are better rates out there

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I switched and my power bill has gone down.
http://www.energywatch.com.au/

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Wages have also been generally soaring, as has all the middle class welfare handouts that generally sees every family on 150k still receiving some sort of welfare. It's all relative...

But for sure, haggle with your provider to get on the lowest rate, try and put the high use items off peak like hot water system, pool pumps and the like. You can also generally negotiate an early payment discount also, my power bills come through with a 9% discount for early payment.
Old 30-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My usage was up 2% on this time last year, the energy bill itse;f was 35% higher.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least some of you guys can chop and change energy providers for cheaper rates.. Up here stuck with 1 provider.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #8
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

well our power bill is WA have gone up 57% in a year or so ...bloody unreal ..cost me $370 for my last bill
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Living costs are almost always going up...
Petrol is up
Groceries are up
Bills are up
etc.

Shop smarter and you won't be slugged as heavily...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
i was surprised my last energy bill was actually less than last year. granted we're a bit more conscious of how we use energy now, but it was a pleasant surprise as i was expecting a bit of a slug. i've swapped from intergral to origin in the meantime...
You do know Origin and Integral merged about 6 months ago don't you? I've been with them since late 2008 and haven't had any real issues with them that couldn't be solved with a phone call.

We try to cut power by switching off appliances at the wall, etc etc, to the point where our stove and hot water is off when we're not home, and our quarterly bill is still about the same every quarter that we have been with Integral ($250 on average), so I would love to leave on the power points and see what usage is made.

Juts recently the RTA (Residential Tenancy Authority) has made a ruling that all new units/townhouses and houses the water charge must be paid by the tenant, and the older houses can be charged to the tenant by the owner if they so wish. So that's an extra charge we now have been slugged with. I'm hoping water is about $150 a quarter.
Old 31-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
You do know Origin and Integral merged about 6 months ago don't you?
yeah, i signed over about 10 months ago, i think they officially took over Integral about 3 months ago. the deal i signed onto involved them giving me a discount equal to 1/12th my total bill for the year. they gave me $30 in the first bill (along with some spiel about not having to wait) and i've seen or heard nothing from them since. i was going to call and find out when they will credit the rest of it? my last bill was $900+ and my previous one was $600+. last winter with Integral i copped an $1100 and a $1200. this year we've not used the reverse cycle aircon for heating, relying on small radiators to keep warm. i'll never have another open plan multistory house again as all the heat just escapes upstairs...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i posted this some time ago, still waiting on this new bill..
Quote:
increase in price effective aug 5th

cents/KWH

current new
peak 40.04...44.11
shoulder 14.85...18.70
off peak 8.36...10.34
load1 8.36...9.02
load2 12.10...11.88
service charge per day (cents)
AGL is my provider..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post