Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
Samboh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wisdom Teeth removal?

Going to have to get some wisdom teeth removed and don't want to go public dental due to having to wait a few yrs just to get some teeth removed, how stupid. I am looking at going private and I know it will cost me the $ - just interested in if anyone knows the a good orthodontist who won't charge an arm and a leg and is honest in Brisbane region, looking for better pricing then the rest who is reliable and honest.

Falcon FG Mk2 Xr6 Limited Edition - Stock
Falcon BA XT (Pure XTent) - https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...ght=Pure+XTent
Samboh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
3vXT

Mate, they are going to rip teeth out of your face. I'd be placing more emphasis on everything but price.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Last time I checked to have it done in a chair (and literally knocked out) ... it was about the $1500 mark ... that included the anethetist(sp?) fee as well.

4 out in one go ... even with my 2 lower impacted wisdom teeth as well.

I still haven't had it done yet ... I keep putting it off.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Mate, they are going to rip teeth out of your face. I'd be placing more emphasis on everything but price.
lmao that had me in stitchez srry but seriously it is so dare and one of those things you can't go arround getting free quotes really.

Best of luck, id get put out for that too i recon,
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still got my wisdom teeth, never been a problem, and i make sure to clean all the way back there when brushing teeth. hopefully i never have to go to the dentist!
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
Force6

If you get it done under local, ask for some sedatives before hand (if they don't offer it to you anyways), and make sure you get the happy gas! I had the most hilarious time getting my wisdom teeth out. I wish I could do it again (kindof).
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cmon people, it's not that bad! Keep around 1 grand in coin with you. The dentist usually uses a different person for the tooth extraction ( if it is a difficult one) so that may cost a little extra. The biggest pain is the hole in your gum that is left behind. If you eat something shortly afterward, and food gets caught in the cavity, by all reports it can be VERY painful! As someone posted above, it may be less painful to just get your face ripped off!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

I don't understand what the problem is - go to the dentist, get a local, watch them pull our tools you'd normally work on you car with, put up with the smell of burning bone if they have to go in with the grinder (snapped roots), go home and have a couple of stiff drinks.
Easy

Cost was around $150 a tooth IIRC.
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Wally
XP Coupe

I found the removal much less traumatic than having yet another filling. You just feel a snap, go home swill a few mouthfuls of of Alum in water, take a couple of aspalagin and fight the urge to shove the tongue in the crater in the gum. :voldar02:
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal

Cost was around $150 a tooth IIRC.
That was close to what i paid and i didn't even shop around. What sort of service do people get for $1000+ ?

P.S My dentists name is Paul Pepper, as in Dr Pepper.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
Munch
CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!

Go the chair, with sedative...

I was at uni when I got mine done... But I'm in Melb and I went public (money constraints at uni)... I had to call up every tuesday to check for a cancellation... Lucky me only took 2 weeks!

Upside > $250 for 4 wisdom teeth
Downside > I was awake (only way I could get in)
Mega Downside > I was in the chair for 4 HOURS!!!! I had 4 shots of painkillers coz they kept wearing off!! My teeth where bitches to get out.

The dentist gave me a 9.5/10 on the C U Next Tuesday scale because there had to be 'some other poor basted out there who would've been worse'

Thank Christ I said all 4 to come out at once before we started, because there was NO WAY I was coming back to get the other 2 taken out...
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Late last year I had mine removed, two at a time, so two visits to the dentist. Only took 10 minutes both appointments and total cost was $530.

But I'm in Melb and no insurance.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
Samboh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh from xray I got two impacted so cant go under just normal dentist chair and get them removed or would of by now, just wanting to know how much ill be up for - anywhere between $1000 and $2000 seems to be the go lol, I don't care about going to get them removed lol even if painful doesnt bother me
Falcon FG Mk2 Xr6 Limited Edition - Stock
Falcon BA XT (Pure XTent) - https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...ght=Pure+XTent
Samboh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
XC_Lizzard

I had one done in the chair under local, and half way through the dentist found out it was a trickier job than he expected.

I had the other 3 done in a hospital under general anesthetic, because I wasn't ever going to have another one done in the chair. It was well worth every penny of $1500, to not have to suffer the way I did with the first one.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
bob^
LPS

XC_Lizzard - that's why my dentist decided against doing mine. One of the roots of my lower one curves back in itself at 90 degrees.
I'm paying $650 to get two of mine removed by a bloke who does it for a living. 40+ people a day or there abouts.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8GRL
Late last year I had mine removed, two at a time, so two visits to the dentist. Only took 10 minutes both appointments and total cost was $530.
Pretty much the same, had two removed at about $500. In the chair, you're pretty much numbed up as much as possible. The only real pain at that point is the pulling and pushing on your face.

Stack up on the pain killers over the next couple of days and you'll ok.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
Munch
CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samboh
yeh from xray I got two impacted so cant go under just normal dentist chair and get them removed or would of by now, just wanting to know how much ill be up for - anywhere between $1000 and $2000 seems to be the go lol, I don't care about going to get them removed lol even if painful doesnt bother me

Nah Mate, mine were impacted too... I had to go to the dental hospital... I got lucky...

Try your hand in NSW, sus out the public system and if there is a cancellations process.... Other than that, kiss your bum good bye and get the private's onto the impacted bitches!
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
XC_Lizzard - that's why my dentist decided against doing mine. One of the roots of my lower one curves back in itself at 90 degrees.
I'm paying $650 to get two of mine removed by a bloke who does it for a living. 40+ people a day or there abouts.
I have the same problem... and they told me its $500US per tooth about 4 years ago... so I didn't do it.

I'll be keeping them in until it becomes an emergency... hopefully not during my time in Australia!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #19
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

My dentist keeps telling me I have to get mine taken out but so far I've refused. Mine are kinda weird. They don't face up, its kinda facing forward. They haven't come through yet or anything so it's still under the gums.

In my dental file, it actually says "Patient shows EXTREME reluctance for Wisdom teeth removal".

I know I'll have to get them done at some stage but I'm using the excuse that I don't have time. I'm sure if I keep refusing, they'll make me dentally unfit for duty. hahaha

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my girlfriend just got a fractured/exposed nerve and her wisdom teeth removed took her 8 week through public. she was in so much pain but handled it good. her father rang and abused them and said if my daughter commits suicide you won't hear the end of it. so they magically squeezed her in.

try your luck, you never know
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #21
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Samboh, the Doctor I used was Dr Eddie Street. Best oral surgeon in the country. He is located at St Andrews War Memorial Hospital, Wickham Tce, Spring Hill.

I had to be put under for mine, I was in hospital for half a day tops.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #22
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funnily enough I had to get one taken out Wednesday, I have private and this is my second one out (both top ones) it cost me $55 per tooth and yes it hurts, bleeds a lot but two days later I'm feeling better and can eat again. Just get one out every 3 months for the year.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
Funnily enough I had to get one taken out Wednesday, I have private and this is my second one out (both top ones) it cost me $55 per tooth and yes it hurts, bleeds a lot but two days later I'm feeling better and can eat again. Just get one out every 3 months for the year.
Depends on the condition of the tooth. He might not have the choice of having it out in the chair like you did.

Why not get all four done at once anyway?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #24
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

55 per tooth nice, ive been putting mine off cos i was worried it would still end up costing me 500+ i only have the 2 top ones left, bottem ones were removed when i got my jaw broken the start of last year, but these 2 are becoming a problem...
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #25
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peuty, that is true and it certainly makes it easier if the tooth has already broken through the gum which in my case they had. This second tooth was also buggered which meant it needed to come out. I did not get all 4 as that would mean to much time off work and I would not be able to eat at all, whereas one tooth or even two on side means you can still eat, brush your teeth etc. The other benefit is it only takes about half an hour for the one tooth, so your not stuck in the dentists chair with your mouth shoved open for two hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Depends on the condition of the tooth. He might not have the choice of having it out in the chair like you did.

Why not get all four done at once anyway?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #26
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dam guys there are some very cheap prices there.

Had all four of mine out in October in a private hospital, costs were:
$440 for the anaesthesist
$1400 for the surgeon.
Also got a rebate of $500 back from insurance.

Whilst it seems very expensive (and it is) is was worth every cent, effectively the wisdom teeth rot in your mouth. If you need to get them removed do it asap, because when the pain starts it would be similar to someone stabbing you in the mouth with knife every second.

Its the most comon surgery in australia, i was in and out in 40 minutes.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 03:37 AM   #27
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it cost 1940$'s for 40 minutes work?? god damn id rather the teeth rot im my mouth and spend the money on my cars... i can live with the pain, have for the last month or so

but seriously guess i should go see someone about getting them out
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #28
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker
it cost 1940$'s for 40 minutes work?? god damn id rather the teeth rot im my mouth and spend the money on my cars... i can live with the pain, have for the last month or so

but seriously guess i should go see someone about getting them out
That is beyond stoopid..

I have to get mine out in March. A guy at my work kept putting off his wisdom teeth removal, an absyss formed under one of them and he ended up a week off work in hospital with poisioning of the blood or something similar. Just get them ripped out.

Think of all the kids that get operations/treatment for burns, cancer etc etc. They have no choice they are just brave and bear it. I am sure you will be ok getting some teeth removed you big weiner!
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #29
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I have 3 out of 4 through, 2 of which are impacted. I know they need doing but am not getting them done unless I am under general. My other issue is I am on blood thinners as I have had a valve replacement so lot's of bleeding isn't a good thing for me, meaning I will have to have it done in hospital anyway.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #30
3vXT

My dentist told me at the time that it gets harder and more complicated when the teeth have twisted and turned slowly and started growing back down into the jaw bone. He said its a pretty common thing though mine weren't too bad by comparison which is probably why some people get away with it cheaper than others.