Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default High paying jobs..

Yep, i'm being a greedy little child and looking for a higher paying job.. The way I figure it, i've got this year off to save for travelling/start of a house etc so I want to make the most of it.

Just wanting to know some areas that pay well without much experience in that industry needed.. For example i'm applying for a certain factory/company that is just same old factory work, but it's paying $33 and hour for shifts between 12am-6am. I've also got a mate working for triple A in Bayswater who drives a mini forklift around and gets between $22-40 bucks an hour and takes home around a grand a week.

I'm willing to work hard for the money, do night shifts etc as long as the pay is good. I was thinking about going up to a mine or oil rig but with band commitments in melb, i'd rather stay in the area (and make use of probably my last year at home, ie cheap board).

I'm currently earning crapola.. Working 6 days a week (thursdays off) from 8am-4.30/5 and usually take home around $400. It's fun working there (with friends) but i'm moving on soon and would like to be getting somewhere close to a grand or more. I'm looking into working with a mates boss (he's on apprenticeship) and that's around $700 a week, 5 days, pulling cables for home/industrial entertainment systems. So i figure there's probably even better oportunities than that out there.

So yep, any leads? Not really trying to be greedy, but trying to work smarter and not harder for my year off.

PS. It's in eastern/south eastern suburbs of Melbourne (Lilydale)

Cheers.

Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

your in the same boat as me , I got offered a management job with Harris Scarfe , with a Company Car and an Extra $60 bucks taking home $520 a Week ! ,

But Im Looking at doing a **** Job that pays well to rake in the cash , Labourer , Forklift Driver , Shi7 Shoveller , ANYTHING

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Get into Avon..amazing income opportunities
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to uni for 5 years and I take home a grand a week. I bet I work a lot less hours than the forklift driver, and I get 10 weeks a year paid holidays
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I went to uni for 5 years and I take home a grand a week. I bet I work a lot less hours than the forklift driver, and I get 10 weeks a year paid holidays
That's cool.. But I don't think I'll fit 5 years of uni in, then pay off fees and work up enough money seeing i'd be out of the house before I go to travel and paying bills ;)
Old 08-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go labouring. Any night shift work always pays better but comes at a price. Bood luck
Old 08-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do a quick Bricklaying course and then join a gang on the building sites, wait for the next building boom and watch the money start flowing right in.

Some of those guys have been earning big bucks over the last couple of years I hear, the new Blue Collar Millionaires.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

If you change your mind about getting away from home send me a PM as I might be able to set you up something on on a rig, depending on what sort of work you want.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
old_mate
Smash the Boost

dunno what everyone elses situation is like but im an adult apprentice electrician and i take home 800 a week. Industries in demand will pay for people. Look at the mines.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 12:52 AM   #10
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
I've also got a mate working for triple A in Bayswater who drives a mini forklift around and gets between $22-40 bucks an hour and takes home around a grand a week.
I've got a mate who works there as a team leader & he makes fantastic money. He'd be on around 80 grand a year minimum.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:27 AM   #11
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Get into security, fairly good work, decent pay (atleast $20/hr)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
You should've skipped uni and started in the chemical industry...

12hr shifts
work 12 days in 30
5 weeks leave which when spread over the roster equates to 70 days off
$90k
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mining!

I heard even the truck drivers get paid a fair bit.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #14
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Mining!

I heard even the truck drivers get paid a fair bit.
Dad does this & is on over 100k per year I think.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefreak

12hr shifts
work 12 days in 30
$90k
What do you do in the chemical industry? I am looking for a change and have a degree in Applied Science (Environmental Tech) with a major in ......... Chemistry. I am not keen on 12 hour shifts, sounds boring.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #16
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

Get into the "Mining" game, mega bucks to be earnt. Or sex workers earn heaps...haha
Old 09-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Mining, try www.pybar.com.au they are an underground contracting company who often advertise over here in the west despite most of their contracts being in the east. So far as you band commitments go, you are going away in a year so they are going to have to get used to not having you sooner or later.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The thing is with the mines though, if you worked the same hours in a city, and worked for 2 weeks straight, you'd have the same kind of money.

I heard drillers/borers are in high demand at the moment, and the pay is good.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
SP.UTE1
Burning Up 98 Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefreak

12hr shifts
work 12 days in 30
$90k
I'm with Blue freak on this one, I am in the chemical Industry. I work 4 days on, 4 days off. 2 x 12 hour day shifts then 2 x 12 hour night shifts. 7 weeks leave a year and with O/T gross about $2080 per week. Allthough the more you earn the more you spend.
BBB
Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #20
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My eldest is not yet 17 & taking home $800/fortnight ......... Mining seems to be the way to go .......

Ohhh thats a starting wage as a Deisel fitter apprentice, so he will have a trade and a crapload of money before too long ........
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #21
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

popinfresh, nice avatar. Are they all yours?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #22
WOLF
Track Red XY

unfortunately for you my friend, you cannot simply just walk into a high paying job, buy a house and travel. Nope thats pie in the sky stuff.... As some of the others said, labouring or some kind of shiftwork will get you though. In the meantime, try get some more qualifications under your belt wether it be short courses, crash courses whatever...employers love a thorough resume.
As for chemical industries etc You can't get in there unless someone dies or your a dual tradie etc Although, having said that though if you can get a traineeship through one of these companies and complete it, chances are you will get a job at the end of it and be half way to having a house/holiday and pay for your band's first european tour...
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #23
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Have you thought of the meatworks? 3 11 hour shifts brings home $540, then you have the option of working any 2 of the next 4 days, if you work 5 days you will clear $750 in hand, and thats on day shift.

Other than that, a construction site i worked on(Im an engineer) the labourers were getting $38 per hour. And they were working 11 hour shifts for 6 days a week.

My advise is to become a Boner or Slicer in the meatworks. Otherwise, you will have to work up the chain in a factory and become a foreman, and probably earn just as much as you would at the meatworks. Just a thought.

Im in my 1st year out of uni and Im on 70k, plus a car, plus site bonus at the beginning of each project(At the age of 20). Its never too late to get your degree mate. Its well worth it.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #24
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Munitions disposal for ADF ranges is handled by contractors. They get paid pretty well.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #25
tyxr8ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
Mining, try www.pybar.com.au they are an underground contracting company who often advertise over here in the west despite most of their contracts being in the east. So far as you band commitments go, you are going away in a year so they are going to have to get used to not having you sooner or later.
Pybar... :baby bott

I work in the underground mining industry (Mining Engineer) and yes there are big dollars to be made. I've driven trucks, shotfiring/blasting, loader operating, production and development drilling, shift bossing... but you have to be preparred to work for it or find something else to do! It all sounds rosey AND I wouldn't give up my carrer for quids but nothing is for nothing, again a relentless industry.

FYI our operation works 4 on 4 off alternated blocks of days and nights (6 till 6). There are lots of employers out there just decide if you want to work for an owner miner or contractor, I know which one I would prefer!
2007 F6 Tornado #0067 - Lightning Strike

Member: FPV & XR Owners Club Of Victoria
tyxr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #26
mowog
Discovery 4

It took me over 20 years of working to get into a 6 figure salary. No degree just plain hard work and good planning.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #27
5.0failane

Jump on the first plaine to WA and head north. Its perfect if jyou want cash now and your willing to work. Just working in a yard with no experience you can get an easy $30-35 and hour plus O/T and you can get up to 55-60 hours a week. My brother went up there at the begining of the year and the company he works for paid for him to get his truck license and scaffold ticket and he's now clearing about $2000 a week 5 on 1 off fly in fly out. I dont think you will ever find better than that for unskilled labour, provided you've got your head screwed on you can make hay while the sun shines.
5.0failane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #28
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work and such..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0failane
Jump on the first plaine to WA and head north. Its perfect if jyou want cash now and your willing to work. Just working in a yard with no experience you can get an easy $30-35 and hour plus O/T and you can get up to 55-60 hours a week. My brother went up there at the begining of the year and the company he works for paid for him to get his truck license and scaffold ticket and he's now clearing about $2000 a week 5 on 1 off fly in fly out. I dont think you will ever find better than that for unskilled labour, provided you've got your head screwed on you can make hay while the sun shines.
Seems like mining is going to be a top pick. Just got to decide whether I want to move away, it's still on the cards for sure though. Thanks heaps for the link as well, will check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWKF6
I'm with Blue freak on this one, I am in the chemical Industry. I work 4 days on, 4 days off. 2 x 12 hour day shifts then 2 x 12 hour night shifts. 7 weeks leave a year and with O/T gross about $2080 per week. Allthough the more you earn the more you spend.
BBB
Chemical industry sounds like you need some bits of paper to get into it.. What's involved exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
popinfresh, nice avatar. Are they all yours?
Nah mate, Lucius from Cog ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
Have you thought of the meatworks? 3 11 hour shifts brings home $540, then you have the option of working any 2 of the next 4 days, if you work 5 days you will clear $750 in hand, and thats on day shift.

Other than that, a construction site i worked on(Im an engineer) the labourers were getting $38 per hour. And they were working 11 hour shifts for 6 days a week.

My advise is to become a Boner or Slicer in the meatworks. Otherwise, you will have to work up the chain in a factory and become a foreman, and probably earn just as much as you would at the meatworks. Just a thought.

Im in my 1st year out of uni and Im on 70k, plus a car, plus site bonus at the beginning of each project(At the age of 20). Its never too late to get your degree mate. Its well worth it.
Hadn't thought about meatworks etc, but i'll definitely look into it

Cheers guys
Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #29
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
BBB
sounds good!....how do i get in and where do i sign
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #30
Kryton

Quote:
BBB
same boat here.
just walked into my new job as chemicals/pharmachutical manufacturer.
still training so im doing 8 hour days, 5 days a week and im on $53000pa, thats without O/T included.
once training is complete its onto the 4x12hr shifts with a shift allowance of 49% EXTRA on top of my normal pay.
and for all those "you need to go to Uni to earn more money" people.....think again.
ive NEVER had a job that pays less than $25 an hour and i didnt even finish year 12.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post