Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #241
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Just saw quick news update, 1st person confirmed dead from yasi
Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #242
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro XR6
Just saw quick news update, 1st person confirmed dead from yasi
You mean the bloke who died of carbon monoxide poisoning from being in a confined space with a running generator?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #243
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
You mean the bloke who died of carbon monoxide poisoning from being in a confined space with a running generator?
That’ll be the one i would say, probably should read "as a result of the power outage caused by Cyclone Yasi, the victim was running a generator indoors".....poor bugger....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 04-02-2011 at 06:21 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #244
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i agree poor bugger, he wouldnt have known neither, apparently you just fall asleep and dont wake up, even though it would have stunk !
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #245
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Didn't here how he died just heard their was a death I missed that part of the news as I flicked through
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #246
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Literally just received an official text from Govt advising it is dangerous to run generators indoors...

I am serious here, they have been sending texts all through the cyclone stating the obvious, cyclone coming, storm surge is dangerous etc etc.

But that takes the cake......
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #247
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of places without power here Mcdonalds at the Willows opened today a 1 hour wait some service stations are open with at least 50 cars lined up generators and chainsaw are selling well.
Lots of trees down and powerlines the Army is out clearing roads of fallen trees with chainsaws . I saw about 10 young soldiers with 3 bowsaws this afternoon cutting back trees they looked exhausted.
Most people are cleaining their yards .
The noise was incredible sounded like US starlifters flying over extremely loud I am surprised there isnt more damage.
If there ever is a cat5 coming here I am heading south.
My swimming pool had waves from the wind at midnight about 10cm high the next day at @:30 pm the water was swaying from side to side about 10cm up and down the side of the pool.
Abiout 2am after the cyclkone hit there were reports from Ingham that cars were being pushed down the mian street of Ingham by the wind

Last edited by paule11; 04-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #248
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
Literally just received an official text from Govt advising it is dangerous to run generators indoors...

I am serious here, they have been sending texts all through the cyclone stating the obvious, cyclone coming, storm surge is dangerous etc etc.

But that takes the cake......
This might be why, its only maybe 1/2 dozen posts up.

Quote:
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #249
InTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
InTrail, where abouts are you?
Northern beaches - about 20km north of the Cairns CBD
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #250
Low006
Formerly "BOOFHEAD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
looks like i might be a bit busy for the next ????? days / weeks.
got the word about 3pm this arvo that myself and 2 other guys from my work (ergon energy) depot are to start heading north at 6.30 tomorrow morning ready to start power restoration as soon as possible.
Thanks to the boys at Ergon we have power this morning. I think we were on the 4th day without power. Kids were getting frantic althought the board games got a work out after they helped clean all the debri from the cyclone.
Flash flooded late yesterday afternoon. 8.5 inchs of rain (215mm) in about 6 hours.

"It's only a Pinhole!" XP resto(SOLD)
Low006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #251
Low006
Formerly "BOOFHEAD"

Here is a link one of the boys from NQPFC our local Ford Club took these photo's of Yasi's destruction

http://www.ftw.com.au/gallery/Kurrimine/
http://www.ftw.com.au/gallery/Silkwood/

Last edited by Low006; 05-02-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #252
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can anybody tell me in the right mind why did the residents of the coastal resorts & towns stay, when they were warned that to get out as YARSI was heading there way with winds of upto 290km/h & later storm surges, why would you try to ride it out, as the interviews of those peoplke reveal they say we would never do that again, but why di it this time as we see so mmant residents that say that after floods or cyclones, sorry but it is better to loose everything , & save your family rather than stay & loose everything & your family,

The death toll could have been worse , they were just lucky that it was only one person & not 300 hundred as one town had 100 stay & another had 200 stay??????????????????

Now we still have NQ sresidents cleaning up the streets & waking in water with power lines on the road & i see them in bare feet or only sandals on, didn't they learn from the floods 2 weeks ago????????????? that you were closed in shoes???????????

Is it something that NQ & Q say stuff the rules we do our thing & suffer what may come our way??????????????
turboxf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #253
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboxf
Can anybody tell me in the right mind why did the residents of the coastal resorts & towns stay, when they were warned that to get out as YARSI was heading there way with winds of upto 290km/h & later storm surges, why would you try to ride it out, as the interviews of those peoplke reveal they say we would never do that again, but why di it this time as we see so mmant residents that say that after floods or cyclones, sorry but it is better to loose everything , & save your family rather than stay & loose everything & your family,

The death toll could have been worse , they were just lucky that it was only one person & not 300 hundred as one town had 100 stay & another had 200 stay??????????????????

Now we still have NQ sresidents cleaning up the streets & waking in water with power lines on the road & i see them in bare feet or only sandals on, didn't they learn from the floods 2 weeks ago????????????? that you were closed in shoes???????????

Is it something that NQ & Q say stuff the rules we do our thing & suffer what may come our way??????????????
Ill quote myself here, this re to a guy that stayed to protect his stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Yeah it is strange the things people do but remember this, have you ever been in a situation like this? All of his stuff if uninsured id say preservation of his items became a priority to him, so he stayed to do what he could to protect everything he owns. Im damn sure i wouldnt have wanted to be in his position or anyone that was affected by this disaster making the decision to go or ride it out. Alot of people did ride it out and survived, as to this point it wasnt detrimentle to anyone (hopefully that continues). The human sprit is a bloody strong thing.
Its not a decision id like to make
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #254
Low006
Formerly "BOOFHEAD"

Quote:

And where would you have gone mate? When you are faced with a Storm front of 500km and still a Category 2 inland as far as almost Mt Isa? I guess not your call hey until you are faced with this. A lot of people work their guts out up here for what they have and to lose this is beyond comprehension. PS a lot of QLDrs are ex NSW, VIC, TAS, NT WA and we are all Australian - An as for the clean up and bare feet well, you are in a daze when the house has been ripped away from around you but I assure you from the stats of recent years, that there has been no recorded deaths from fallen powerlines caused by cyclones. I think this thread was to show us up here that we were not alone and not to criticise anyone.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #255
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low006
And where would you have gone mate? When you are faced with a Storm front of 500km and still a Category 2 inland as far as almost Mt Isa? I guess not your call hey until you are faced with this. A lot of people work their guts out up here for what they have and to lose this is beyond comprehension. PS a lot of QLDrs are ex NSW, VIC, TAS, NT WA and we are all Australian - An as for the clean up and bare feet well, you are in a daze when the house has been ripped away from around you but I assure you from the stats of recent years, that there has been no recorded deaths from fallen powerlines caused by cyclones. I think this thread was to show us up here that we were not alone and not to criticise anyone.
Low006 - X2 my fellow Cairnsites.

As I work for a declared essential service I did not have the option of leaving.

Really guys, being Australian is all about dealing with adversity head on and not sitting on the sideline waiting for someone else to cleanup for you...

Please think before you rush to judgment.

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #256
Jim4850

We lost a bit of roof and it did a nice clean up on our trees, the water is just back on but power is still out. The land and cell phones were out for a couple of days.

Quite a hard blow in Ingham was Yasi, not as hard as Cardwell but we copped a double bunger of flooding afterwards.
Jim4850 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #257
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
This might be why, its only maybe 1/2 dozen posts up.

I know why they posted it

My point was what a nanny state we are in

After that I got one saying there were mobile phone problems...sent to my mobile phone

A bit pointless if I WAS having problems...

Most people up here know what to expect and whst to do

For those having mobile trouble switch to the 2G/GSM network and try that, it worked much better for me.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #258
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG the yanks really know how to take the cake sometimes.

XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #259
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Queensland ... the new Tasmania.
Or is it the other way around ... hee hee

Goes to show they know nothing outside of their own country.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #260
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
OMG the yanks really know how to take the cake sometimes.

Geezus mate, I knew the floods washed a lot of crap down the Brisbane river, but didn't think it went that far downstream.....
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #261
Low006
Formerly "BOOFHEAD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
Geezus mate, I knew the floods washed a lot of crap down the Brisbane river, but didn't think it went that far downstream.....

Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #262
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Quote:

Cause most of them have not been through a Cat 5 cyclone............... They didnt know how much the wind can blow, , no-one does until it happens
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #263
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

We ended up doing the bolt on Wednesday morning. Was umming and arring on Tuesday, so decided to stick it out and monitor everything overnight. Come Wednesday morning at 5am, the decision was made for me. The southward track on the map could have possibly put us in a dangerous storm tide area, and with no-where locally to go we headed south. About 30 minutes prior to departure, we received the phone call and were told to leave.
Ended up at Rockhampton by Wednesday afternoon. Started heading back Thursday, and made it as far as Bowen as the road was closed at the Haughton south of Townsville.
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #264
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power came back to my street after 3 days.
Big thanks to Ergon energy linesmen who have literally been working non-stop nite and day to get the power back.
I had bought a generator during the Brisbane floods as i was a bit paranoid?
Been trying to watch the news and its heart breaking to see how the small towns of mission beach, kurramine beach, tully, dunk island resort and cardwell to name a few, have all suffered tremendously.

It only took me 2 days to clean up, I cant imagine how long it will take there.
Having visited all these places so many times and recognising many of the buildings it makes me think how lucky we are here to have escaped it.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #265
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

We were in Annandale, Townsville.... it blew like 5HIT ! ! ! ! ! for more than 10 hours....
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #266
Fordsgofaster

First time I've had internet or phone for that matter since. We won't have power for near a month at a guess. Rumours in tully are it will take 2 weeks to have power back to the outer parts of town, so I reckon it'll be a month before they get here ........ there's only about 3 poles left in the district ......... couple more than that ...... but you get the idea.

Got the clean up in hand now I think, after spending days on the chain saw clearing fences we decided its to big a task to attempt to saw & cart the green wast, so I'm picking up works bull dozer in the next couple of days & will wind row it instead.

turboxf you got to realise that we live in a cyclone zone & just like those that live in an earthquake zone/tornado zone/hurricane zone we're quite acustom to preparing for serious weather & for the most part until its to late to run your not really assured where its going to hit. Until wednesday itself they were still saying it was headed for carins, it hit nearly 200kms south of that. Until wednesday arve they were saying innisfail, it hit 50/60km south of there.

As for walking around power lines bare foot ect, you can be well assured that even though that is happening we have gone to great lengths to be sure those lines are dead long before a camera caught it, common sense.
Fordsgofaster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #267
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I got my marching orders 11am Wednesday as I live at the beach...Did the mad dash up to my mates house and just waited nervously.

Luckily, Cairns dodged a bullet and all was well…Although it was a bit hairy at midnight when my mates mum wanted her side gate secured. Aside from that, didn’t get power until late Friday night. The storm we had Thursday night in Cairns was worse imho…Due to no power, the pumps in the carpark weren’t working and there was a good 6inches of water laying about and then the sewage decided to back up into the flood waters…and cause of no pumps to get rid of the water, well, you can imagine. First day back at work today….Everythings back to normal up here at least.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #268
grekat1176

May everyone stay safe up there
grekat1176 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #269
Fordsgofaster

View from my front door

View from the side door

used to be garden shed

our stock truck before we uprighted it
Fordsgofaster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post