Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #241
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

HCJ needs to harden up or go home, there are enough "Hand wringers" in this country without him.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #242
[JET-260]
I SMELL FRIED RICE !

Thumbs up

Sick of this crap, the white male gets more discriminated nowadays than any other individual.[/QUOTE]

absolutely agree with you mate 100%..why are people of african backround allowed to go around in movies saying 'white boy this..white trash this' but yet if people of white colour where to say black boy or black trash my god theere would be an uproar and we would get our ***** kicked..its beyond the point here of slavery its gotten to a point where we cant even describe a person of african backround without getting into trouble !!
FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM..TWIN 2 1/2"
[JET-260]
[JET-260] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #243
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
HCJ needs to harden up or go home, there are enough "Hand wringers" in this country without him.
That and he needs to go home, he seems to have been here for ever.

I wonder if he can actually remember what the US looks like?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #244
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I'm with HCJ.. It was unfunny and uncalled for.

In this day and age it was far too big a risk to take by putting it on air. It's a cop out to say Australians have a different sense of humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #245
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz

In this day and age it was far too big a risk to take by putting it on air. It's a cop out to say Australians have a different sense of humour.
The thing is, the blokes that did it were "new" Australians themselves.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #246
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it be all the same if it was a different band who's members were white and one of the members had died recently?
Some people need to lighten up, its not like most of us Australians took it as a way of having a swipe at black americans
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #247
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz

i agree that it was probably too big a risk, but i was not offended. i didn't find it funny, but i saw nothing wrong with it
i understand why harry connick jnr may have been offended, but he was in australia at the time and therefore what is offensive in america is not quite so relevant
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #248
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Maybe we should have some sort of censor board set up and have all jokes checked before airing just in case someone in the world is insulted. That seems to be the only thing that would satisfy the likes of some. I am sure Rodney Rude, Eddie Murphy, Billy Connolly etc would all pass with flying colours.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #249
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was another good show what a tool that connick jr is
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #250
timmo

I found the skit lacking in talent more than taste. However I can understand why HCJ would react the way he did. After holidaying in the States a few weeks ago, we are perceived as a racist country, which I can assure you led too many arguments...idiots. It seems in the States racism is only an issue if it is directed towards blacks...pretty sure the Mexicans aren't exactly level pegging over there...
timmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #251
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

It was an old act from 20 years ago, maybe they should have left it there
in todays PC times

The week before on Red Faces someone took the mickey out of Barnsey, (with his son watching and judging) and that was not considered offensive, even by Barnsey who opened the show

Taking the mickey is what makes this show funny
That is what Dicky is for after all

Russell doing disasterchef, wearing a g string last week, Plucka dry humping Fergie, need I go on.....

I like the show for these reasons

Plenty to be offended by if you want to

Harry seems to want to be on both sides

You have a remote....turn it off if you dont like it
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #252
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Elvis has been dead for decades....... how many "black" Elvis's are there? I have seen a few on TV from time to time. Don't see the "white" community saying again about their performances, no matter how good or bad it is.

We need to get over the "political correctness" and the "big egos". We as a society are taking things to seriously ........ and the media are having a field day with it, pumping it up to get ratings.

Get over ourselves and start living. Geez!

On a lighter note, I grew up watching Hey Hey. Good to see it came back, even if it was just for two nights. Enjoyed it.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #253
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
We as a society are taking things to seriously ........ and the media are having a field day with it, pumping it up to get ratings.

Get over ourselves and start living. Geez!

On a lighter note, I grew up watching Hey Hey. Good to see it came back, even if it was just for two nights. Enjoyed it.
Bingo!!

I disagree that "Black face" is anything like black people imitating a white hero.

I do agree the freaken media are manipulating us, and we need to get over it!!!!

Just watching channel 9 10.30 the next day, news break, FIRST story" Hey Hey racist sketch ramifications around the world!!!". Obvious self promotion!

I had enjoyed "Hey Hey it's Saturday" since it's inception. It was mandatory viewing before a night out. Toward the end, probably the last few years, it went way down hill IMHO.

Channel 9 are getting hammered by "Master Chief", so instead of coming up with something innovative themselves they are trying to rehash something that worked in the past. They are also using things they know will be controversial (remember the ship Sam got into on the footy show), to boost ratings.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #254
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
It was an old act from 20 years ago, maybe they should have left it there in todays PC times
That's my feeling too. Although I did enjoy the specials, I can't see it comming back as a regular show. It'll be great for a few weeks then fizzle away.

IMO what we saw is the result of 20 years worth of the fun police routinely performing sense-of-humour-oscopies on the general population one by one to the point where people will always find some offence, either real or perceived, in anything. These days, the only institution or group allowed to be satirised, or in the words of Harry Chronic Jnr, "made to look like buffoons" is the white male.

Welcome to the nanny state.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #255
VSSII

When HHIS was pulled it was actually rating very well, hence the outcry. Unfortunately it was the only show in Australia to interview international celebrities wanting a national audience. To some extent this is what Rove is trying to fill. I just don't find it entertaining watching an international star being interviewed by a kids stuffed toy (but I did like Agro's cartoon connection as a kid), or watching them judge some losers fighting for a measly $1000 on Red Faces. Despite its ratings success it was seen as a fairly low brow attempt at humour and a bit of an embarrassment. Coincidentally thats what Kamahl has said in print this morning. These guests of our country would be comparing HHIS to the likes of Letterman, Parkinson etc. The same question was asked when HHIS was pulled as it is now. Is this really the best we can do?

Edit;
Comment below I just found on The Huffington Post basically summarises the opinions of many regarding the MJ skit. Coments above relate to the show in general not the skit.

Let's put a bit context into the situation:

1) Most Australians think this show is ridiculous
2) Australia is not America - Australian humor is essentially taking the Mickey out of yourself & others
3) This skit was neither funny nor intended to be offensive

That said, Harry was polite, professional & clearly wears his heart on his sleeve. America & Australia both have a history of terrible race-related injustices, but to be outraged like America doesn't have a race-based humor? C'mon... This skit is so pathetic it's barely worth a mention...

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_313613.html

Last edited by VSSII; 09-10-2009 at 10:01 AM.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #256
JClarke
Deaf Driver

All, it is for the best for everyone - as a thread creator of this discussion, debates with the HCJ skit shouldn't be brought up in this thread, as this is to discuss the positive things about the show, if you wish to debate about the HCJ Skit, please do it elsewhere. Thank you.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #257
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who died and made you the boss? the thread is about HHIS the title does NOT say positive aspects of HHIS . once a thread is created anyone can make on topic comments that do not breach T&C. The HCJ situation happened on the show so it is on topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke
All, it is for the best for everyone - as a thread creator of this discussion, debates with the HCJ skit shouldn't be brought up in this thread, as this is to discuss the positive things about the show, if you wish to debate about the HCJ Skit, please do it elsewhere. Thank you.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #258
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Can you imagine what it would be like if the Censorship Board had to censor all the comedy, taking into consideration all the WORLDS sensibilities regarding jokes pertaining to race,politics ,customs,intelligence,gender,etc etc.(It seem to me that is where we are heading) there would not be much to laugh would there?.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #259
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
Can you imagine what it would be like if the Censorship Board had to censor all the comedy, taking into consideration all the WORLDS sensibilities regarding jokes pertaining to race,politics ,customs,intelligence,gender,etc etc.(It seem to me that is where we are heading) there would not be much to laugh would there?.
Laughing would become a thing of the past. This is NOT America people.. settle the *censored* down!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #260
Hrdtop75

hypocrite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooKaCbMvaZ0
Hrdtop75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #261
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrdtop75
hypocrite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooKaCbMvaZ0
Your about two pages too late

I would put my 2c in but everyone has already said how I feel about it. While it may be offensive in America, this isn't America and the last thing we need is for this country to continue down the path of being more like the U.S. everyday. I think the fact that on every online poll between 70-80% didn't find it offensive is a pretty compelling reason for the media and everyone else to drop the debate.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #262
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Geez even Julia Gillard has said something about it and backed up the Hey Hey gang. Normally dont like what comes out of her mouth but good on her.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #263
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Its not Hey Hey Its Saterday (kind of)

It would be interesting to hear the 'backroom' conversation around why bring HHIS back again (and middle of the week).

For me it stopped being HHIS when it wasn't Saturday morning.
I use to work Friday Nights (till midnight, and when I was of age few drinks after work).
So Saturday morning was sleep in until HHIS started, then watch a young DS and Ozzie have fun. It was new, fresh and a great way to spend a Saturday.
I remember 'everyone' at high school watched it (male/female).

I think best left to the past have a reunion if they want but keep it at that. There is still loads of stuff they could show that would still be funny (and correct) today.

Just my thoughts
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #264
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Some Islamic people would be deeply offended by stuff that the USA makes and shows in their country, but they still play it?

So what, you are in our country, if you're offended then GTFO and fly back over to your country, infact USA was the creator of the whole "black face" thing because back in the 20s they didn't want to hire black actors.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #265
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I loved hey hey and still do.

Personally this red faces act wont make Australia any more or less racist because most of the world is too busy with other things. Americans still wont even know where or care where Australia is or what it stands for. We are very low priority to everyone in this world I think.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #266
rodderz

Makes you wonder if anything would of been made of it if Harry didnt have his whinge. The act was crap, certainly not racist though. All I saw was some guys imitating (poorly) the jackson 5
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #267
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i wonder why they put that skit on when harry was a guest. sometimes a bit of thought can go a long way. we all know how americans feel towards black people, so why subject him to it. even if harry did not find it offensive, he had to act offended. alot, if not most of his fan base are americans - he cannot afford to offend them by laughing at the skit
besides, the show is meant to be funny, that act was not even remotely funny or entertaining, so why even bother with it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #268
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Makes you wonder if anything would of been made of it if Harry didnt have his whinge. The act was crap, certainly not racist though. All I saw was some guys imitating (poorly) the jackson 5
I think the Channel 9 execs are wildly applauding HCJ for his outburst. It's news around the world... and as they say in the entertainment business, any publicity is good publicity.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #269
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it was in 96 or 97 Harry dressed up as a black man for a skit also what about the movie white chicks 2 black guys dress up as white woman what's good for 1 should be good for the other
Old 10-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #270
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I think the Channel 9 execs are wildly applauding HCJ for his outburst. It's news around the world... and as they say in the entertainment business, any publicity is good publicity.
I think it's going both ways however. I hear HCJ is soon to release his next album. Think of all the sales this will drum up from people giving him a pat on the back for his stance. Just like in this quote taken from the above posted YouTube clip:

Quote:
Kudos to Harry!! Not only do i luv his music but i luv him even more for standing up against wrong. Those idiots doing jackson 5 in black face didnt only look stupid, they sounded horrific! Harry ya the man (sic)
He will return a hero, do all the talk shows and drum up more publicity.

This whole thing has become a farce..... If the Americans think we are racist they should look in their own backyards.

Is it any wonder I have no desire or inclination to ever travel there... I can see it now....I would be asking someone at a cafe a question about a dish on the BLACK board, and they will cut me off and say "a humm, NOTICE board" :

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 10-10-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post