Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #211
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

harry should lighten up, the act was a jackson parody not having a go at blacks. The jacksons are black so the make up was appropriate for the characters they were imitating . you may have noticed that the Michael character was actually an ashen white in reference to his racist attempt to alter his black looks . Jacko is the racist not these guys poking fun at a weirdo who was so ashamed to be black he mutilated himself to try to become a white man

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #212
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I found White Chicks more offensive than that segment last night. How was it racist exactly? I honestly can't see it. All I saw was a group of guys impersonating a well known musical group.
I agree.

There's nothing racist about it. I mean, the Jackson 5 aren't white are they? The guys were just filling their roles correctly, i reckon it was great tbh.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #213
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think HCJ was just protecting his music profile. If he were to support that act, I think he would have copped it back in the states along with boycotting of his albums in protest.

Another element tells me that americans cant/find it hard/Politically incorrect to laugh at themselves. Not like us aussies.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #214
swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I found White Chicks more offensive than that segment last night. How was it racist exactly? I honestly can't see it. All I saw was a group of guys impersonating a well known musical group.
I agree the act itself wasn't racist. But I think Harry's point of view is that that style of comedy itself is racist in the states. Like I said before blackface comedy has hugely racist beginnings.

Put yourself in his shoes, if he laughed along, gave them a score of 8 and then the footage of it made it to his hometown which has a majority black population, it would cause a huge stir

I think he handled it rather well, he didn't agree, but like bucknaked said he didn't walk off and have a tantrum.
swapper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #215
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

HCJ is entitled to his own view, and it is a reflection of his country.

I am grateful we live in a less uptight country.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #216
swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval

Another element tells me that americans cant/find it hard/Politically incorrect to laugh at themselves. Not like us aussies.
I agree yanks often can't laugh at themselves like Aussies or poms etc. But I think this is a bit different. They don't laugh at such things because they are a reminder of a dark chapter of their history.

The comedy came from a time of slavery so it is seen as inappropriate to laugh at something like that, just as we wouldn't laugh at a style of comedy if it originated from the stolen generation.

Anyway I've harped on enough, but that's my take on the issue anyway.

Last edited by swapper; 08-10-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #217
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before I used this thread, I used 'White Chicks' as an example of the glove being on the other hand.

If people are comfortable having things one way, but when roles are reversed they cannot handle it, then that is an injustice.

I am comfortable with people acting out a different culture, as long as it isn't derogatory.

Many international comedians make fun of white people...but when we make fun of them, the PC Nazis crack it.

As I said, I had no problem with the act at all.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #218
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a very firm critic of political correctness, but as others have pointed out, the act could have been construed as representing a link to US historical events which weren't exactly favourable. So be it. But let's look at the "intent".......I genuinely don't believe the intent of the act was to be racial, or to degenerate African Americans. Surely, in today's age, "intent" still carries some weight? I notice that the members of the act have since spoken to the media and have steadfastly denied any intended malice, pointing out that several members have ethnic backgrounds themselves. The frontman has stated his Indian heritage ferchrisakes!

OK, it was taken badly by Harry CJ. He showed his disapproval. An apology was offered by the show on air. The members of the act have stated that they intended no offence. It was done in fun, not in spite. Everyone who could apologise, has apologised. Now all that is required is for the media to just damned well let it go so we can all move on with life.........
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #219
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am surprised that act made it on to Hey Hey (given that there were only two shows which equals 8 red faces skits) I would have thought they could have found another skit that wouldnt have caused this much controversery (ie Sarah Parry ) Having said that I am sure Hey Hey realised the skit would have caused a bit of a stir and maybe thats what they are after. I am not a fan of political correctness, but as soon as I saw the skit I thought this will get people talking.

Interesting the show is being condemned by the worlds media, yet as a nation we are multicultural

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #220
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Americans really need to get over themselves.I have to go to the USA about 3 or 4 times a year and have noticed that black people are amopng the most racist.. If HCJ went into some of the black area of of the larger northern cities it would really open his eyes..
Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #221
swapper

He is from new Orleans. It's a pretty "black area"

and so what if some black people are among the most racist! Does that make it all good for us to be racist? What's your point?

I don't think the skit itself was racist. But like I said earlier I understand.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #222
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

i think that the segment was fine and not racist, if people are start getting offended on whats done on tv then the simple solution is turn your tv off or change the channel! I can't believe how people get so offended this era, honestly, i rated the re-union last night 10/10! quality and funny! PEOPLE OF THE WORLD TAKE CHOPPERS ADVICE AND "HARDEN THE F$%# UP"
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #223
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapper
He is from new Orleans. It's a pretty "black area"

and so what if some black people are among the most racist! Does that make it all good for us to be racist? What's your point?

I don't think the skit itself was racist. But like I said earlier I understand.
Swapper, all I am saying is he should have a look in his own backyard.. Northern cities are nothing like New Orleans. Did I say we should all be racist?. I was just pointing out the irony of his opinion..Didn't mean any offence..
Old 08-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #224
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Well said.

Harry dealt with the situation well. He didn't get up and walk out. He gave a zero, then when given the opportunity spoke of his feelings well. He perfomed a number as well. So all credit to him. He has his beliefs, he is entitled to them. I have great respect for the guy.

He actually used the break to demand he have his say. Then later on he treated Darryl like a trained monkey by making him read an appreciation certificate with a yank accent. If he's so offended he shouldn't take the money he got paid to be there and never do the black reverend skit he's famous for on Mad TV.

The Jackson Jive are actually ethinic blend, the lead being an Indian offspring. The show was a reunion and the act was indeed a reunion.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #225
ltd
Force Fed Fords

HCJ can kiss my white behind.
Only two weeks ago he was on Letterman and made a joke which by his standards would be construed as racist.
He said: "I had a black chicken called Obama, and a white chicken called McCain. Come election time he shot the white chicken".
Not only is he racist, but he's a "Fowl-a-phobe". He should change his song "hear me in the harmony" to "Screaching about PC". In my best internet vernacular; HCJ U R A No0b.

Quote: