Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #211
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Yeah it is strange the things people do but remember this, have you ever been in a situation like this? All of his stuff if uninsured id say preservation of his items became a priority to him, so he stayed to do what he could to protect everything he owns.
what good are personal items when you are dead?

thankfully, it looks like the damage is less than predicted. also no reports of storm surge either as it didn't cross the coast as early as expected.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #212
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yeah it is strange the things people do but remember this, have you ever been in a situation like this? All of his stuff if uninsured id say preservation of his items became a priority to him, so he stayed to do what he could to protect everything he owns. Im damn sure i wouldnt have wanted to be in his position or anyone that was affected by this disaster making the decision to go or ride it out. Alot of people did ride it out and survived, as to this point it wasnt detrimentle to anyone (hopefully that continues). The human sprit is a bloody strong thing.

Also hats of to Anna Bligh through everything our state has been faced with this 1st month on the year, she has been a shining light.
Top post! to walk away from everything you have would have to be one of the hardest things to do, to some it's akin to walking away from your life and an impossible thing to do....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #213
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
what good are personal items when you are dead?

thankfully, it looks like the damage is less than predicted. also no reports of storm surge either as it didn't cross the coast as early as expected.
I can agree with you there it is correct. But i guess you have to be in that position to see whats its like to make that dreaded decision. I wasnt having a dig at your post in anyway just making a statement
Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #214
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I can agree with you there it is correct. But i guess you have to be in that position to see whats its like to make that dreaded decision.
i don't mean to be prejudiced, but the footage was very telling regarding his 'possesions'. thats a bit judgemental, i know, but i wouldn't be risking my life for a flimsy caravan and whatever it may have had inside.

Quote:
I wasnt having a dig at your post in anyway just making a statement
same, no offense meant and none taken.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #215
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i never wanna do that again! Cant imagine how scaery it was in Tully and Innisfail.
Nearly every tree in the yard fell over, side fence smashed to bits, but otherwise all good. Just waiting on power to come back.... So far no reports of any fatalities...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #216
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro XR6
last night there were people who decided to ride out the storm calling in for help when the eye hit and they were expecting to be rescued there and then
They spoke to the elderly folks that were supposedly asking to be rescued on Channel 7 last night and they said they only rang the authorities to let me know all was OK and that they were safe and no problems ..... that was confirmed later on by the authorities as well. Lots of rumors will be floating around no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR_AUII
Nope, just the same Baby 3 times....
The wind must have been very bloody strong........ !

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #217
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Well i never wanna do that again! Cant imagine how scaery it was in Tully and Innisfail.
Nearly every tree in the yard fell over, side fence smashed to bits, but otherwise all good. Just waiting on power to come back.... So far no reports of any fatalities...
Good to hear mate, fences can be re built and tress replanted
Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #218
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
good preparation and a good result , as been said buildings up north are built for the conditions these days .

just the trees and flying objects would be your biggest fear .tully seems to have been hardest hit by the looks . hey dave how is the wind at home there , we put everything away so will be fine but was a little worried about all the stupid gum trees around our street . wind and rain in rocky still lol but i finally got my power on ..
Wind? What wind? We've fished in worse

It's a bit blowy here now, maybe 25-30 knots but nothing to be concerned about. We've missed most of the rain too by the looks. Some rough footage from up North though
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #219
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i don't mean to be prejudiced, but the footage was very telling regarding his 'possesions'. thats a bit judgemental, i know, but i wouldn't be risking my life for a flimsy caravan and whatever it may have had inside.

same, no offense meant and none taken.
You don't know his situation though, it could be ALL he has in this world with no means to replace it. Maybe he doesn't have a family to help him start over. I'm sure nobody would face a cat5 in a caravan if the alternative was bearable.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #220
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
They spoke to the elderly folks that were supposedly asking to be rescued on Channel 7 last night and they said they only rang the authorities to let me know all was OK and that they were safe and no problems ..... that was confirmed later on by the authorities as well. Lots of rumors will be floating around no doubt.

The wind must have been very bloody strong........ !

Funny that. Whilst I support 100% the media in notifying residents the dangers that are coming and the potential risks, I do think that there is an element of "media blow out", in exagerating what is going on. And yes I include politicians in that as well. We experienced that in the floods here in Brisbane last month. The media / politicians will pick and focus on a single area to gain the most exposure and coverage. This is why for hours and hours they will show and focus on the same footage over and over.

So it does not surprise me that that the above phone call was completely blown out of proportion. Why? Cause it would make great TV and sound great coming from the Premier's mouth. And please, this is not intended to create a political debate.

In fact, I had family in Ingham that actually turned their TV's off as too many conflicting facts and stories were coming through. They just had the ABC radio on and followed the BOM website closely. If you are sensible, and take precautions and understand the associated risks, then that should be enough.

I woke up at 5am to see where actually got damaged and the aftermath, to see Kochie on TV showing the same footage of a piece of awning being thrown down the street and him standing next to some broken branches on the footpath and saying how catastrpohic it is where he was standing.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #221
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And how many here would run out into a hail storm risking their lives just to save their car from damage?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #222
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And how many here would run out into a hail storm risking their lives just to save their car from damage?
I reckon plenty would. Some cant see the fact they might well be injured in protecting in a lot of peoples cases their most expensive/valued possession, as people risk their lives to protect their house people WILL do the same to protect their cars or whatever they think is of most value to THEM, not the on lookers.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #223
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did 2 years ago, when i first got my car, 3 weeks later big hail storm lighting and heaps strong winds, so i ran out and threw some sheets etc over it, still didnt help it.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #224
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I would wear my stackhat! Just like when I go to the shops....
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #225
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
I would wear my stackhat! Just like when I go to the shops....
Old 03-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #226
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Just had a call from my tenant to let me know my place at Mission Beach is still standing, I felt sure it would go after all its a 40 year old Queenslander on stilts. It's missing a chunk of roofing and a few other bits of damage but otherwise ok, although it sounds like the landscaping is in need of attention...

Sounds like a fair few others didn't fair to well property wise, but no one hurt thats the main thing....

Gee people can be funny in times like this, all she could do was cry and apologise for the damage, bloody silly girl.......sniff!!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #227
InTrail

Just had 50mm of rain in 30mins. Looks like we'll cop more damage from the follow up rain than last night's wind.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #228
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are there any shops open in Townsville yet? Tried searching on the net but can't find much, have mo power so trying to do it on my phone.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #229
Sam_Boss260

InTrail, where abouts are you?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #230
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I think FNQ dodged a bullet last night and this morning. Not good for the likes of Tully thou. The poor banana farmers. Flattend again..............
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #231
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
I think FNQ dodged a bullet last night and this morning.......
That's how I felt when I saw the news the morning... could have been much worse for sure.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #232
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not bad at all here in airlie beach but it is amazing that in the first 36 years of my life i never went through a cyclone and now 3 in ten months and two THIS WEEK. uluri, march last year cat 3 went strait over us; anthony, sunday night cat 2 crossed 50km north at bowen; and yasi last night which blew as hard as anthony but crossed 300-400 km away. when i built my house i made the bathroom from concrete filled block and a 200mm thick poured concrete roof on it ,so not too worried by cyclones
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #233
Fordsgofaster

[QUOTE=prydey]looks like tully was worst hit. the more major centres north and south seemed to come out ok structurally. apparently a lot of minor communities that are barely on a map have been decimated too.
[/QOUTE]

Yeah we're in one of those barely on the map communities, eye went over here too.

Our house structurally stood up fine, lost guttering some water damage in some bedrooms some other minor inconveniences but nothing of note.

All our cars I took & parked in the middle of a empty paddock I had not long ago disced getting ready for planting. this means they practically sunk into the soil making them very hard to move for the wind & I'd hoped clear of debris. It worked all are fine minus some aerials & miscellaneous bits but all good. Won't be able to get them unbogged for a month but awe well. Our 4.5 tonne stock truck that I left out near the road got picked up & dumped on its side against the fence some 30ft from where it was parked.

the little rickety shed where all our tools ect are keep was still there, couldn't beleive it. Everything else is flatend feed shed, chook sheds ect ect, nearly ever single tree is either broken to bits or flat on the ground.

As for people all is fine, wednesday we rounded up all the local living family such as parents, older sister & children ect ect & packed them off on a trip to townsville. The rest of us stayed, to battened down the hatches & ride it out. We chose to do that because we have animals......other than live stock....pets, 7 horses 5 dogs, cats chooks ect & a big worry if you have animals is not just getting them through the storm but being there to feed them ect after. our family we packed up won't be able to get back for up to 6 days due to flooding ect. This way we're here to fix fences feed & water ect ect immediately. On the animal front all fine, don't know how those horses do it but there's a hundred trees down in their paddock debris everywhere it was the middle of the night & yet there's not a scratch on them.

Funny thing is when we chose to ride it out we thought it was going to hit carins & we'd just get the edge of it. I never thought on tuesday night that wednesday night we'd be sitting in the eye of the biggest cyclone to ever make land fall.

But I think that's the one piece of advise I can give on choosing to stay or go in a situation like this ......... always base your decision on worse case scenario. If you have any reservations about the building your going to be staying in go anyways.

Last edited by Fordsgofaster; 03-02-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Fordsgofaster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #234
prydey
Rob

fordsgofaster - glad to hear you came through ok
Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #235
Sam_Boss260

Wow fordsgofaster, what a story. Where abouts you?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #236
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

G'day all,

As some of you know I work for Department of Community Safety up here in Queensland.

A little disclaimer before you read below: This is in no way an official statement from the department, nor do I represent them in any way, shape or form, I am just trying to help.

Due to Christmas, the floods and now cyclone Yasi, I haven't been as active the past few months as I would have liked to be, however I thought now would be a good time to give some info to everyone on our latest disaster, and provide those wishing to help out some direction.

For all cyclone related information, please see http://www.qld.gov.au/cyclone/

If you would like to register to volunteer for either flood cleanup or cyclone cleanup, please visit http://www.emergencyvolunteering.com.au/

OR

Queensland SES: http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/ses/join/ses.asp

At the time of writing, the following link has 24/7 coverage of all Cyclone related news, updates etc.

News.com.au:
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225998711771

National Radar Loop: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/natio...sat.loop.shtml

512km Composite (Townsville Radar): http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR211.loop.shtml#skip

Current Information and Warnings from BOM: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Hopefully this will assist some of you. To all those considering becoming a volunteer, I strongly encourage you to apply, as volunteers are vital to ensuring emergency resources are able to be allocated where they are needed the most.

Regards,

Grandpa_Spec_AU
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #237
jordsnissannx
SR20 Abuser

well the news confirmed 2 babys, one will be NICKNAMED not named yasi or yarsii as they've been calling it

good to hear no deaths so far which is great, still a few missing though isnt there?

jordo
jordsnissannx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #238
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Farmers unlikely to get insurance
Thursday, February 03, 2011 » 06:16pm

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Cycl...ce_572744.html

Quote:
Farmers are unlikely to be covered for crop losses in the aftermath of Cyclone Yasi, the insurance industry says.

Early predictions suggest more than 90 per cent of Australia's banana plantations were destroyed as strong winds battered north Queensland overnight.

The insurance industry, however, says sugar cane and banana growers shouldn't expect help.

'Regrettably no, they won't be covered for their crop losses,' Insurance Council of Australia chief executive Rob Whelan told Sky News on Thursday.

'Crop insurance in Australia is very limited.

'It tends to be isolated to only hail damage or fire.'

Bananas are expected to cost up to $13 a kilogram following the second major cyclone to hit north Queensland since 2006.
Dam that’s going to hurt some farmers, few have barely recovered (financially) since Larry wiped them out...

Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #239
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im glad we bulk bought banana's and froze them week ago.

That sucks some the farmers have no insurance.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #240
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit of light relief... laccording to the latest reports from CNN, Yasi was powerful enough to have moved QLD.

Don't be alarmed, this might just be sh** journalism at its best.

trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post