Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #211
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: why do you like driving an "old" car?

Just a little poem...

Oh why oh why did I like that 120Y?
120 reasons, thats why.
Oh why oh why did I buy that 120Y?
120 Reasons, thats why.
Why oh why did I sell that 120Y?
120 reasons, thats why!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #212
dirtyclevo

I loved the car actually.

i remember at a time i got a speeding ticket in it and the copper said "you don't see these old girls around anymore" while he was handing me a ticket with a smirk on his face.

to think of it i haven't seen an old datsun in ages. there all in junkyards or turned into metal flakes now days.
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #213
marty351
Shenanigans..............

All things japanese from early 70s to mid 80s were pretty bullet proof.
Had a 84 corolla,well looked after by me but thrashed within a mm of its life and didnt bat an eyelid.
Still daily driving 79 scorpion, again bullet proof, apart from usual rust, never a problem.
Will not part with it EVER!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #214
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Photo taken at MacDonalds in Gracemere a while back...

For the first time in my life I found myself uttering the phrase "Now that's a 120Y I'd love to own"...

And you guys arguing about "old" cars have nothing on this guy...

Interestingly, Cugnot made a number of "firsts"...he went for the first motorised vehicle drive, he had the first motor vehicle accident (lost control and hit a wall) and was the first to be charged with a motor vehicle traffic violation!

Now thats a real "old car"...
120 Y bothers rock man

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #215
buickman
buickman

I’ve got 2 early 70’s Buicks their land yachts and judgment of how big and ancient they are to my FG makes you wonder how women in the 60 & 70’s drove these cars. But they are reliable and least have some comfort and disc brakes on the front for a modern touch which makes cars of the 70’s my favourites as an old car I like to drive on weekends..
My 1st car a FB Holden was a death trap and somewhat a collectable nowadays but vacuum wipers that when overtaking in wet conditions the wiper would stop had to take foot of accelerator to make them work, poor brakes, no synromesh in 1st gear and bad handling with kingpin front ends and rust prone an AU falcon is not old and unsafe compared to the cars of the 50’s & 60’s
Old 22-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #216
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few pics of my old cars. Funny they weren't that old when I owned them.

Private road burnout circa 1989.

Every drive was an adventure in the old XD. It actually tried to kill me more than the KX on the back. About 1999.

My old Muzzie. 351C 4V Hi Stall. 1995.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #217
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And my first ever car LJ 4 cyl 1986. I saw the blue oval light shine not long after. The XD in the background was my Dads, 5.8 auto.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #218
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Currently I have use of a few different types of vehicles..

Amongst them I have a AU falcon and a brand new 2014 Audi A4 turbo Quattro s-line.

Driving the Audi, its smooth, reasonably quick, packed with technology, handles beautifully, luxurious, great media centre/stereo, looks killer..

But I enjoy driving the AU falcon just about as much. Sure its slower, looks nowhere near as good, handles nowhere near as good, less comfortable etc etc..

But with the Audi, theres just nothing to do with it, nothing to buy for it, no reason to open the hood. Its a car to just drive.

With the AU, theres always the thought of how to improve it a little, what you could buy, things you can try, do your own servicing and a community (such as fordforums) that really is passionate about these cars. Its way more customisable. All those things make for an enjoyable drive, its sort of like you contribute to the quality of the drive moreso than just steering the car.

Where the audi, your just a passenger and you have little other input.Its like that with most new cars, just drive them, very easy, minimal input required.

Why do you like driving an "older" car?

Interesting choice of modern car for comparison...My personal preference would be a Lexus, buts that's just me...

I have a "modern" car (a 2010 VE International Dual-fuel). Has most of the (basic) mod-cons you'd need, and I'm in no way inclined to "mod" it.

On the other hand, I also have an AUII XLS V8 ute that has a bit of an "identity crisis" (in that it thinks it's some kind of Fairlane), which I quite enjoy driving. It's noisy, thirsty and - relatively - slow (unless you really get under it, which I don't), but it has that V8 aural experience I was looking for, with a bit of actual (load-carrying/towing) practicality, which can come in handy...Replicating what that old bus does in something modern would be - whilst not un-affordable - unjustifiable...