Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2022, 01:16 PM   #2221
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASWAGON View Post
Another PetrolSpy look around showing Diesel prices in most states averaging about $2.25 p/l.

Not good!
BP Next door is $1.74 for Petrol and $2.47 for diesel FMD !!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2022, 03:46 PM   #2222
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Prices spiralling out of control and still no one in power is investigating alternatives which have existed for decades and can be implemented

'Cost of living is set to get worse' - yeah cool story bro what you doing about it?

*crickets chirping from the halls of parliament house*

I'm not surprised though I feel like I've been living in that movie 'Idiocracy' for a while.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #2223
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Prices spiralling out of control and still no one in power is investigating alternatives which have existed for decades and can be implemented

'Cost of living is set to get worse' - yeah cool story bro what you doing about it?

I'm not surprised though I feel like I've been living in that movie 'Idiocracy' for a while.
Nothing they can do but ride the wave like everyone on it.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2022, 07:56 PM   #2224
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The western world's still asleep at the wheel .......still rolling out the : oh its light crude not a lot of diesel init BS ......still plenty of bunker fuel for ships and bitumen? ........guess it's just the light oil in the middle where missing.....oh and then there's the excessive demand that's happening all of a sudden lots of crop cultivation :......what ever

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2022, 07:58 PM   #2225
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Over the length of my career, I’ve noticed that generally there's two types of employees, salaried managers and vocational employees. Both of these groups approach salary negotiation and employment completely differently.

I’ve know a a heap of managers over the time and most actually send out their CVS regularly to test the market to see what comes back and when they get two or three offers significantly above their current salary, they negotiate from a position of strength, “ I have these three job offers Fo $x, match them or I’m off” and so it goes…..

The vocational employees on the other hand are far too loyal for their own good, they think that management will recognise their effort and give them a pay rise they think is deserved. Their manager however thinks that this is an empty negotiation without threat, so low balls them / basically go away, we pay you enough. Before they know it the angry employees has found another job that pays better and no amount of persuasion can reverse the decision as they’ve already signed…

It takes years to develop certain vocational trades, companies keep training over and over to cover loss of skilled people that go to competition yet seemed resigned to a viscous cycle that only they can stop…
I've been in that situation where you would do the work as per the award, Take the initative to learn something new and when you ask for a raise, they tell you should leave, even after they've been gloating about how many Millions in profit they've made.
Managment had the idea that rotation of staff was Great for the company. One thing they didn't look at was losses due to training these new people up to the std of the person who left.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #2226
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Nah there’s plenty. Different field, but look how the banks fell into line re lending when the government simply mentioned regulation, the banks couldn’t self regulate fast enough. They could collapse gas and electricity prices tonight if they wanted to. They just won’t do it as they’re making buckets of money from it, have to pay for peoples lifestyle choices to have kids and pay for their childcare and all.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2022, 08:50 PM   #2227
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Nah there’s plenty. Different field, but look how the banks fell into line re lending when the government simply mentioned regulation, the banks couldn’t self regulate fast enough. They could collapse gas and electricity prices tonight if they wanted to. They just won’t do it as they’re making buckets of money from it, have to pay for peoples lifestyle choices to have kids and pay for their childcare and all.
Yeah we are going to cop it with power prices even though ours is 100% hydro,so where the mainland has fairly big increases in gas and coal prices the price of water hasn’t changed much at all.Funny thing was when the published increases were released a few months ago,the only place that wasn’t showing increases was Canberra.If my memory is right Canberra produces a lot of hot air( and lots of methane) but no electricity.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2022, 10:21 AM   #2228
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah we are going to cop it with power prices even though ours is 100% hydro,so where the mainland has fairly big increases in gas and coal prices the price of water hasn’t changed much at all.Funny thing was when the published increases were released a few months ago,the only place that wasn’t showing increases was Canberra.If my memory is right Canberra produces a lot of hot air( and lots of methane) but no electricity.
At the risk of taking this even further off topic, I just need to point out that the bold bit is not true. It's not easy for me to post up a picture from my work computer here, but if you check out Open NEM and select the Tassie consumption for the last year, you'll see that:

Hydro contributed 78.6% towards Tassies consumption
Wind was 14.4%
Imports (from Victoria via Basslink) was 11.3%
Solar (rooftop) was 2.2% and
Gas was 0.9%

The reason this adds up to greater than 100% is that the excess (-7.6%) was either exported or went into charging batteries. The bit I don't get is where that battery capacity sits as Tassie doesn't have grid scale battery capacity and there was no generation contribution from battery. I can only assume that power was consumed in Vic for battery storage, but why that is not lumped in with the exports data I'm not sure.

Hope that helps clear that up a bit.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #2229
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I was generalising a bit too much by not including wind power.As for importing power,pretty sure we export more green power to Vic than we import,but I could be wrong there too.As a whole I think we can survive alright without any imported power.
Old 27-10-2022, 10:41 AM   #2230
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sorry I was generalising a bit too much by not including wind power.As for importing power,pretty sure we export more green power to Vic than we import,but I could be wrong there too.As a whole I think we can survive alright without any imported power.
As far as I understand it if basslink was cut then Tassie would be fine.

The new link isnt great news for tassie but good for the country...if prices skyrocket here then it is complete and utter BS...not Tasmanians fault the rest of the country is in strife.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #2231
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Actually, tassie, it's the other way around; Tasmania imports more electricity than it exports. In the last year, 833GWh was exported and 1282 GWh was imported. Looking very briefly at the data I have available to me, it seems as though most of that import is during the day, too, so I suspect it is demand driven, in which case there could be some impacts to people if imports suddenly stopped. Not that it will happen, especially now that Marinus Link has got funding to proceed.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2022, 11:27 AM   #2232
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Yes they can - they can build infrastructure and then keep it owned by the government.

They did it once before and they can do it again, we just need less Howard and Kennett types.

Just need leaders with a vision for the future rather than a vision for party donations, speaking junkets and cushy jobs post politics with companies they tweaked legislation for or made deliberate poor decisions to favour their donors.

Put forward a plan and a timeline, not just '56% increase in prices, shrug shoulders'.

Makes me wonder how they built the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the 1930s because we couldn't pull an infrastructure project that was suitable for circa 100 years in the future in 2022.

If we tried that now it would be 1.5 lanes wide and cost 9000 bazillion dollars and run behind schedule for 70 years then when it was finally done someone would sell it for 20 cents to Transurban then after they get voted out would suddenly be on Transurban board of executives.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-10-2022 at 11:34 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #2233
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Don't stress, Labour promised they would cut electricity bills by $275 if they got elected
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #2234
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Don't stress, Labour promised they would cut electricity bills by $275 if they got elected
Yeah,saw on Sunrise where Kochie and Nat called Albo out on that one,but he didn’t seem able to come up with an answer to broken election promises.Guess they weren’t core promises.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #2235
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yeah,saw on Sunrise where Kochie and Nat called Albo out on that one,but he didn’t seem able to come up with an answer to broken election promises.Guess they weren’t core promises.
It sounded absolutely impossible from the get go. How did they expect to be able to do it when global power prices have been soaring for ages?
Old 27-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #2236
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Yes they can - they can build infrastructure and then keep it owned by the government.

They did it once before and they can do it again, we just need less Howard and Kennett types.

Just need leaders with a vision for the future rather than a vision for party donations, speaking junkets and cushy jobs post politics with companies they tweaked legislation for or made deliberate poor decisions to favour their donors.

Put forward a plan and a timeline, not just '56% increase in prices, shrug shoulders'.

Makes me wonder how they built the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the 1930s because we couldn't pull an infrastructure project that was suitable for circa 100 years in the future in 2022.

If we tried that now it would be 1.5 lanes wide and cost 9000 bazillion dollars and run behind schedule for 70 years then when it was finally done someone would sell it for 20 cents to Transurban then after they get voted out would suddenly be on Transurban board of executives.
Doesn't help that we have general public that are as dumb as **** and rely on snippets of a press release that have been editorialised to get clicks and viewers, and always think about me me me or some outlier minority group that "should" have gone the funding.
A lot of public infrastructure projects that are forward thinking get **** canned by public because they only look at the cost and not what it was meant for.
The media have a lot to answer for with some of these. This unfortunately has given us short term politicians who only look for the 3 - 4 year terms.

Perfect example in Vic is the Suburban Rail Loop project; cost is being brought up and the opposition, looking for votes said they would cancel it (even though a lot of work as already completed on it) because of the cost and "re allocate" the funds to hospitals. It is just politicians looking for the popular vote. These are projects that should have been done long ago.
Old 27-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #2237
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Doesn't help that we have general public that are as dumb as **** and rely on snippets of a press release that have been editorialised to get clicks and viewers, and always think about me me me or some outlier minority group that "should" have gone the funding.
A lot of public infrastructure projects that are forward thinking get **** canned by public because they only look at the cost and not what it was meant for.
The media have a lot to answer for with some of these. This unfortunately has given us short term politicians who only look for the 3 - 4 year terms.

Perfect example in Vic is the Suburban Rail Loop project; cost is being brought up and the opposition, looking for votes said they would cancel it (even though a lot of work as already completed on it) because of the cost and "re allocate" the funds to hospitals. It is just politicians looking for the popular vote. These are projects that should have been done long ago.
The budget was a perfect example. The treasurer said there's no money for cost of living measures now, but we should be able to do it in 2024. When the election is getting closer of course. Just as a way to try to buy votes. They really don't give a damn if you might be struggling, it only matters when they can get votes from it. It's such bull****. Govern for what's best for the country, not what's best for votes every 3 years.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #2238
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:

So people are on here now complainig about election speak, electricity prices. So today, it has been reported that a new gas drill, tap and transportation is double the cost of renewables.
The Gov of today is fast tracking this renewables. The gov of tommorrow will, take credit of the low energy prices and most likely, privatise it to gain some cheap money.

I'm with you. Privatisation of services, something we followed from the US, is completely wrong.
I'm glad that VIC Prem is now talking about a State owned electricity grid. At least when the Vics are selling the excess power into other states, that money can flow onto paying debts, hospitals etc etc.

So, i'll tell you about the mentality of these LNP (Blinkered)polititians.
A world corrosion expert, that i worked with, was tasked to investigate a bridge here in Newcastle. His report indicated that a spend of 10million to replace anodes/cathodes and a paint job, would bring the bridge up to standard and last another 100yrs.
The RTA thanked him for his report and told him it didn't matter what he wrote, the decision to destroy the bridge was already signed off.
He was also told that 'They will only build for today, not the future'

They built a new bridge, teared down the old only to come under enormous amounts of backlash, that they finally caved and built another bridge next to it for 100s millions.

With energy prices, you can thank all gov from Howard. The only state that has a National Interest in the contracts is WA. They haven't had any rises in their prices.
Oil prices, now being stifled by OPEC, the only way is up baby!! Coal is following.

As i said, just need to ride the wave.

Last edited by ivorya; 27-10-2022 at 08:44 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2022, 12:02 AM   #2239
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Here's a rare deleted scene from that far-sighted movie Franco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpxAypwVF6M
Old 29-10-2022, 12:05 AM   #2240
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"no one in power is investigating alternatives "

Yeah that bit is weird af

This is a good recap of the editorial line the Macrobusiness guys have been going on about, for years. Presents the entire mess in numbers:

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/202...-hapless-albo/
Old 29-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #2241
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The budget was a perfect example. The treasurer said there's no money for cost of living measures now, but we should be able to do it in 2024. When the election is getting closer of course. Just as a way to try to buy votes. They really don't give a damn if you might be struggling, it only matters when they can get votes from it. It's such bull****. Govern for what's best for the country, not what's best for votes every 3 years.
And if this wasn’t a responsible budget, the opposition would have jumped all over it.
As always, it’s up to ordinary people to shoulder increased costs, not from wages and
people buying excess but from all those right wing corporates literally gouging EVERYONE.
You know, all the companies and corporates that the conservatives are in bed with…..

How people can defend the right while ignoring the elephant in the room is just mind boggling,
Scotty from marketing and now the Dutch Oven breathing brain farts that honestly ruined
our solid trade agreements with China just to side with Republicans, destroying our income
that China turned around and gave to other countries, like the USA….Oh snap.

Don’t get me wrong, I think this current government is just as inept and unfit for government
Again, it’s up to ordinary Australians to find their own way out of this mess, the reserve bank
governor is an idiot going after the wrong people to slow inflation, he’s hurting the wrong people
because he has no power over corporates and businesses that are driving inflation.

Australia has a strong economy that shouldn’t be choked, external forces are driving inflation,
so they will subside when controlled at the source, not by choking our economy.
We should be doing the opposite to everywhere else and let the economy off the chain
while others suck on recession woes, just like we did post GFC.

Last edited by jpd80; 29-10-2022 at 11:34 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2022, 02:53 PM   #2242
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
And if this wasn’t a responsible budget, the opposition would have jumped all over it.
As always, it’s up to ordinary people to shoulder increased costs, not from wages and
people buying excess but from all those right wing corporates literally gouging EVERYONE.
You know, all the companies and corporates that the conservatives are in bed with…..

How people can defend the right while ignoring the elephant in the room is just mind boggling,
Scotty from marketing and now the Dutch Oven breathing brain farts that honestly ruined
our solid trade agreements with China just to side with Republicans, destroying our income

Don’t get me wrong, I think this current government is just as inept and unfit for government
Again, it’s up to ordinary Australians to find their own way out of this mess, the reserve bank
governor is an idiot going after the wrong people to slow inflation, he’s hurting the wrong people
because he has no power over corporates and businesses that are driving inflation.

Australia has a strong economy that shouldn’t be choked, external forces are driving inflation,
We should be doing the opposite to everywhere else and let the economy off the chain
What the opposition says is irrelevant. They are the ones running the show now.

And just so you know, i wasn’t advocating they should be spending now. That’s what got us in this inflation mess. But to say they would look at it just before an election shows that votes in election years are all that counts.
Old 29-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #2243
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
What the opposition says is irrelevant. They are the ones running the show now.

And just so you know, i wasn’t advocating they should be spending now. That’s what got us in this inflation mess. But to say they would look at it just before an election shows that votes in election years are all that counts.
Absolutely, I’ve grown to mistrust both sides of politics as self serving bastards that switch allegences to suit their own gains.

Was not intending my broadside at you, simply frustrated that at a present, none of them can put down the hatchet or or stop denying and just work together for our country. There’s always gotta be a friggin’ angle wher someone is right and the other guy is wrong….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #2244
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I agree, there has not been a decent government in this country for over the last 20 years, my comment applies to both States & Feds.
Most of the politicians are doing is serving their own self interests.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2022, 06:22 PM   #2245
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its rather funny to hear how people blame pollies for doing and saying things to win votes. In a democracy, and when you want to be voted in, that is what you do

Anyhow, we live in a world these days where everyone wants instant gratification. Very few pollies today have the guts to make spending decisions, where the benefits may not be seen until 10-20 years time, even though it might be the right thing to do.

Looks like the feds are going to put the screws in on electricity and gas companies to try soften the price increases. Good. They should probably do the same for fuel? Not sure if that would be possible, as the oil doesn't come out of our grounds.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #2246
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Its rather funny to hear how people blame pollies for doing and saying things to win votes. In a democracy, and when you want to be voted in, that is what you do
Its one thing saying you're going to do something, its another if you actually follow up on your promises, thats what people are ****ed off over, its very disingenuous. You wouldn't associate with someone who flat out lies all the time like politicians do. People are salty that politicians knowingly said **** that politicians know they couldn't do, but said it anyway.

Its just because there's no accountability, when you're in opposition you can say anything, but when they get in thats when it counts.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2022, 07:37 AM   #2247
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its one thing saying you're going to do something, its another if you actually follow up on your promises, thats what people are ****ed off over, its very disingenuous. You wouldn't associate with someone who flat out lies all the time like politicians do. People are salty that politicians knowingly said **** that politicians know they couldn't do, but said it anyway.

Its just because there's no accountability, when you're in opposition you can say anything, but when they get in thats when it counts.
And if you notice Dutton is a prime example atm.
Old 30-10-2022, 09:30 AM   #2248
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Barrel prices still averaging around $90 due to Chinese economy slowing down and reducing demand.

Great news!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2022, 09:57 AM   #2249
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASWAGON View Post
Barrel prices still averaging around $90 due to Chinese economy slowing down and reducing demand.

Great news!
Actually incorrect, we use Tapis crude, which @ this moment is trading @ around $135 AUD per barrel.Do not go off WT or Brent crude. Oil is traded in USD.
Old 30-10-2022, 11:28 AM   #2250
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Actually incorrect, we use Tapis crude, which @ this moment is trading @ around $135 AUD per barrel.Do not go off WT or Brent crude. Oil is traded in USD.
Yes true, no wonder pump prices so high.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post