Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #2221
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Not having any experience with any other snow products, I didn't realise how poor it was. I just thought that was 'normal'

Yes, noted the performance of Bathe and the fact that it was your recommended buy for a locally available product. Hence, the reason I'll probs go with that. This is the feedback of one user on the Repco site:

Is sud longevity really an issue?
I used Snow Job for a long time, but running it alongside Snow, I started to realise that it was not effective at cleaning. I also confirmed this belief reading other people's experiences with it too. The extreme thickness of the product also made it hard to deal with.

In terms of Bathe's lack of suds, I'm not sure what that person was smoking, it's one of thickest foaming soaps on the market.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2023, 06:41 PM   #2222
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I'm waiting for a forward-thinking car detailing manufacturer to take the "Snow Foam" approach to a whole new level...

Applying Snow foam alone, letting it dwell for some time and then rinsing it off, will never clean a car completely because as we all know it's designed as a "pre-wash" only.

Thinking outside the box here...

How about a swirling replaceable microfibre round mitt on an extendable pole that attaches to your foam gun or pressure washer, which allows you to easily clean your car once all the snow foam is applied to the car?

.... Then remove the mitt attachment from the pressure washer and rinse the car... All in one go, cutting out the next main washing stage completely.

Sure, there will be some nooks and crannies that still need to be done by hand, but it would still save a lot of time having the bulk of the bodywork done.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2023, 08:25 PM   #2223
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Repco have 25% off the range of Gyeon products at the moment -

https://www.repco.com.au/en/search/?text=gyeon

Highlights would include Bathe, Wet Coat and Glass Cleaner (my favorite glass cleaner).
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2023, 09:54 PM   #2224
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

DFB your experienced advise please.
I have DLux issue on the wife’s CX5.
See below what’s your suggestions to correct please ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2023, 10:27 PM   #2225
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
DFB your experienced advise please.
I have DLux issue on the wife’s CX5.
See below what’s your suggestions to correct please ?

How old was the car when you applied it? I came across this information regarding newer vehicles treated with DLUX -

https://www.carpro-us.com/wheels-tri...-30ml-sky-kit/

"MANY people use Dlux on new textured plastic successfully. However the reason we have a warning is because of possible complications that can arise a year later due to variables out of our control. A car dealer may use a very high silicone content dressing on the trim before selling it to the new owner and some of this may not be able to be removed before application of Dlux. That can cause it not to bond and create an unsightly appearance if not entirely bonded. We believe it is also possible that the plastic may “gas out” for a year or so after being created and potentially that gas could get caught between ceramic and plastic and create tiny microscopic bubbles that start to make an unsightly dulling appearance. In the rare instances that it happens, there is no surefire solution to removing the discoloration or white dots due to the fact it is nearly impossible to effectively polish a ceramic coating off textured plastic without changing its appearance."

I also read that an overly heavy application can lead to this sort of finish.

This is a quote from a very experienced product tester regarding removal of DLUX -

"As far as removal, I have used Optimum Hyper Polish on plastic trim as it does not stain trim. It seemed to remove whatever was left when I tested this out."

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...2e7423eb&_ss=r

If it were me, I would deep clean the trim with a heavy APC or vinyl and rubber cleaner, apply Solution Finish and recoat with DLUX, perhaps just Reload. Solution Finish also make a specific plastic cleaner prior to treatment.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...8018b319&_ss=r
https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...8018b319&_ss=r
Mustang GT

Old 12-01-2023, 01:01 AM   #2226
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Thanks
Some good info.
Car was new 2018.
I applied DLux probably a year ago so I don’t think anything applied back to the new delivery period.
I’ve obviously wasted it countless times since we got it and being it’s parked outside 24/7 DLux was a good option to coat on.
Maybe I over applied it I think as mentioned.
I’ll clean it up as mentioned and might just use reload next.
Thanks again.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #2227
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Repco have 25% off the range of Gyeon products at the moment -

https://www.repco.com.au/en/search/?text=gyeon

Highlights would include Bathe, Wet Coat and Glass Cleaner (my favorite glass cleaner).
Hey DFB, another question for you re Gyeon gear.

Your earlier soap review and our discussion to date has focused on Gyeon Bathe as a foam, but I see Gyeon also make a separate Snow Foam product. Have you used the snow foam? And when would you use the snow foam versus Bathe? I currently use Bowden's Snow Job for the pre-soak and then their Nanolicious for the wash. My Nanolicious supply is getting low so an alternate for that wouldn't go astray. Should I get both Gyeon Bathe and Snow Foam or will just Bathe suffice?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 07:50 PM   #2228
prydey
Rob

I can't speak for Gyeon but NV snow and Carpro Reset work equally well as a foam or bucket wash. Just at different dilutions obviously.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:36 PM   #2229
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Hey DFB, another question for you re Gyeon gear.

Your earlier soap review and our discussion to date has focused on Gyeon Bathe as a foam, but I see Gyeon also make a separate Snow Foam product. Have you used the snow foam? And when would you use the snow foam versus Bathe? I currently use Bowden's Snow Job for the pre-soak and then their Nanolicious for the wash. My Nanolicious supply is getting low so an alternate for that wouldn't go astray. Should I get both Gyeon Bathe and Snow Foam or will just Bathe suffice?

Appreciate your thoughts.
I don't subscribe to the idea of different soaps for foaming and bucket washing. Some companies like to cater to this, and yes, the soaps are different but it's more about selling more product. Typically, I will bucket wash with the same soap that I have applied with a foam cannon.

There is an exception to this rule of mine, and it's if I have an excessively dirty car to deal with. I will foam with a higher pH soap, allow to soak and then rinse off. If the car has some form of wax or sealant present, then I will switch back to the pH neutral soap for the contact/bucket wash. I have found agitating with an alkaline soap is much more aggressive on a wax/sealant than just letting it dwell and then rinsing to lift off the surface dirt.

I would just go with Bathe, it's absolutely fantastic at foaming and bucket washing. The Q2M Foam will have specific ingredients to dissolve dirt more aggressively, which could be desirable if you are dealing with a dirtier car, for a well-maintained garage queen, this would not be needed.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2023, 09:12 PM   #2230
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Awesome, appreciate the input guys.

Bathe and the glass cleaner it is on my trip to Repco this weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 12-01-2023, 09:27 PM   #2231
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Not sure if others that use bowdens foam bottles have this issue...

Today I noticed the 2nd bottle I bought has gone the same way as the first. I don't overly tighten the nozzle or throw the bottles around so not sure why they have failed twice. I've sent an email to bowdens and await their response.

Looks like I should start saving for a different brand product. A shame because the nozzle works quite well for the price of it.
Hey prydey, a belated response to the above post of yours (I can't see the pics on my work laptop, and I'm on my phone tonight so can see the pics) but I haven't had that problem with my snow cannon. I don't recall exactly when I bought mine, but it was when the bowdens cannon was talked about in this thread (I think) at least a couple of years ago. I wonder if it's a batch issue?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 12:59 PM   #2232
mitch

Morning Prydey, I accidently dropped my Snow cannon and the threaded neck broke off inside the metal collar of the cannon. I had a small panic attack as i had taken my ute to work ,and it got covered in abrasive bauxite dust. I wanted to use the snow blow to take as much of this dirt of the paint as possible before hand washing, as not only is it abrasive but seems to stick to the paint if its been parked in the sun.

Anyway long story short, an Autobarn near me had around 20 spare plastic bottles sitting on a shelf there. Different Bowdens product sticker on them (cant remember what it was) but exactly the same bottle.

Sounds like they know it could be a weak spot where the heavy metal collar screws onto the thread of the plastic bottle
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #2233
prydey
Rob

Yeah, they sell the 'happy ending' bottle as a separate item. I bought one of those when the snow foam one broke the first time. Now that one has gone the same way.

I don't think I was heavy handed when tightening up the nozzle but apparently the brass fitting really bites in to the plastic if overtightened and over time can cut through, or cause a weak spot which then breaks.

Bowdens are sending me replacement ones but just thought I'd put the feedback on here so others can make an informed decision and/or be aware of what can happen. In the future I'll take extra care not to tighten to much. If it breaks again I'll be changing to a different product.
Old 14-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #2234
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

What is a good cut and polish that can be applied by hand that will give a decent enough finish to put wax straight on top?

Not looking for perfection or I'd get the DA polisher out. Just need something to moisturise the paint again. Super Resin Polish isn't enough.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2023, 09:02 PM   #2235
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFG View Post
What is a good cut and polish that can be applied by hand that will give a decent enough finish to put wax straight on top?

Not looking for perfection or I'd get the DA polisher out. Just need something to moisturise the paint again. Super Resin Polish isn't enough.
It's been a long time since I have hand polished, so take my recommendations as a starting point.

One thing to mention about Super Resin Polish is that it's a filling polish, a mild abrasive product that leaves behind fillers to disguise paint imperfections.

Have a look into Meguiar's M205 (Fine Cut) or M105 (Heavy Cut) -
https://www.automegastore.com.au/meg...compound-945ml
https://www.automegastore.com.au/meg...g-polish-945ml

You could also use their retail cousin Ultimate Compound, just be prepared to work hard!

https://www.automegastore.com.au/meg...compound-450ml

You could also look at something like Scholl S20 Black or Sonax Perfect Finish. These are generally used on a machine but can also be used by hand, in which case have a look at the Lake Country hand polishing pads as they make this process easier.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...40136429043801
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...8afb0dcf&_ss=r

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...iant=641818569
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...iant=641818577
Mustang GT

Old 14-01-2023, 09:06 PM   #2236
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

For those interested, NV Boost v2 is now back in stock at Waxit after a short pause in production. It's even on special at the moment too -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...40116450164825
Mustang GT

Old 15-01-2023, 09:02 PM   #2237
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Woohoo, this product is finally available to Australian customers!

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...43606305571031

Mustang GT

Old 16-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #2238
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Comes up pretty good after a full detail. I use Bowdens flash prep to clean the surface, Scholl s20 black on a DA, followed by Mequires Ultimate Liquid Wax, and topped with some Bowdens Boss Gloss.

There might be better products out there, but this is what works for me. Ease of use is my highest priority, and they are all easy to work with.

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 04:25 PM   #2239
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

A project for DFB... Test the new snow job

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Haha, you're tempted now aren't you.
Well...................................

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 06:08 PM   #2240
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi guys, haven't been following this page for a while, so apologies if going over old grounds.

What is the best wheel sealant, for rims, to use that isn't too exy?

Autoglym seems to be getting some decent reviews. Is it a recommended product from the guys here?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2023, 06:33 PM   #2241
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
hi guys, haven't been following this page for a while, so apologies if going over old grounds.

What is the best wheel sealant, for rims, to use that isn't too exy?

Autoglym seems to be getting some decent reviews. Is it a recommended product from the guys here?
I used that Autoglym product for a little while, but it's pretty average. Certainly easy enough to apply, I just felt like it did not offer any protection, water repellency or resistance to brake dust.

I went over to Poorboy's Wheel Sealant for a while too. Smells nice and is easy to apply. However, like the Autoglym, unless you remove the wheels, you won't get coverage on the barrels. And it's the barrels that get the dirtiest.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...iant=641820189

If you have some NV Nova Jet, that works well on wheels too.

But, the easiest and most effective way to protect wheels is with a spray and rinse type sealant like Carpro Hydr02, Gyeon Wet Coat, Bowden's Wet Dreams or 303 Touchless Sealant. The benefit here is that these product coat the barrels without having to remove the wheels. I'm currently using Gyeon Wet Coat, which is on sale at Repco at the moment.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...ugg_q=wet+coat

To apply, start by washing the wheel as normal. Once clean and still wet, mist a couple of sprays on the wheel face and few into the barrel as well (You don't need to be heavy handed, just a 3 - 4 sprays per wheel is enough). Rinse with water immediately. Done! The effect will be instant.

The only downside to a product like this is longevity. But it's so easy to apply, that you could just top it up ever second or third wash or when the water repellency starts to wane.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 06:59 PM   #2242
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I might have a crack at something like that.
These wheels do my head in, if i can make them easier to clean i will. I do have some NV Jet but id prefer to use that on the car itself
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 07:02 PM   #2243
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
These wheels do my head in, if i can make them easier to clean i will. I do have some NV Jet but id prefer to use that on the car itself
Been there before too. It would take me a very loooong time to do these wheels with a sealant............

Mustang GT

Old 16-01-2023, 07:15 PM   #2244
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
But, the easiest and most effective way to protect wheels is with a spray and rinse type sealant like Carpro Hydr02, Gyeon Wet Coat, Bowden's Wet Dreams or 303 Touchless Sealant. The benefit here is that these product coat the barrels without having to remove the wheels. I'm currently using Gyeon Wet Coat, which is on sale at Repco at the moment.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...ugg_q=wet+coat

To apply, start by washing the wheel as normal. Once clean and still wet, mist a couple of sprays on the wheel face and few into the barrel as well (You don't need to be heavy handed, just a 3 - 4 sprays per wheel is enough). Rinse with water immediately. Done! The effect will be instant.

The only downside to a product like this is longevity. But it's so easy to apply, that you could just top it up ever second or third wash or when the water repellency starts to wane.
That is a decent price for such ease! How long will it generally last?

My rims are grey / charcoal colour, so brake dust isn't a problem. But its cheap rims, and the coasting is not smooth, its roughish, so all the gravel dust sits on it. Would like something that could help repel that sort of stuff to some extent.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 16-01-2023, 07:16 PM   #2245
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i feel for ya. I used to hate doing my TE50 rims, they had like 100 spokes, but your one is a whole new level.

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #2246
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
That is a decent price for such ease! How long will it generally last?

My rims are grey / charcoal colour, so brake dust isn't a problem. But its cheap rims, and the coasting is not smooth, its roughish, so all the gravel dust sits on it. Would like something that could help repel that sort of stuff to some extent.
Wet Coat is said to last about 3 months. Keep in mind the heat generated by the brakes will reduce the longevity, again though, it's so quick to reapply that it doesn't really matter. I can't say how long it lasts on wheels as I just reapply every second or third wash, so lets say 6 - 8 weeks.

From Gyeon -

"Gyeon Wetcoat offers amazing durability of up to 3 months for a product that can be applied in seconds due to the high SiO2 content. It also provides great protection with a contact angle of over 90 degrees, meaning water sheets and beads off very easily reducing the chance of water spotting.

Ideal as a quick-hit or a regular maintenance product to extend and enhance coatings or sealants, Wetcoat can be used over most surfaces like paint, trim, glass and wheels etc."
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 11:29 PM   #2247
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
i feel for ya. I used to hate doing my TE50 rims, they had like 100 spokes, but your one is a whole new level.
Azzurros are the worst, I literally just changed my brake pads on my Sportsman for less dust because im sick of cleaning them
Old 17-01-2023, 07:25 AM   #2248
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I've suffered cleaning those too. I had a T2
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2023, 12:24 PM   #2249
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Spokes inside spokes, inside spokes. What a pain in the **** to clean.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2023, 01:48 PM   #2250
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sale on the Gyeon Wet Coat at Repco finishes tonight. Both my local stores have run out. But you can order online today on the special, and pick it up after sale ends.

Rides (past and present)