Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #181
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Maybe you need to learn how to read and see whats being said?

Seemingly you also missed the point about attitude, clearly its not sinking in.

But thats fine just keep up the personal jibes....
Attitude... Indeed, because P platers all universally think they are heros. Good point Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Thread so far

-Why karnnt I dryvv a v8, boiizzz? How can I get round tha pigz stupid ruelz?
-It's illegal mate
-These young people today! (I secretly wish it was still 1990)
-P platers are all evil, demonic ferals. Back in my day...
-P platers should only drive Smart Cars. Better yet, they just shouldn't drive because they are incapable of doing so and will all die if they drive!
-No they're not!
-Yes they are because I said so!
On the money, sir.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #182
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
But do Victorians have to pass 4 tests to get a full license?

L, Red P, Green P, Full License.

(mentioning what state you live in would be helpful )
To get Ls, you sit a computer test, then to get Red P you do a driving test, P2 you just change over to once you've had P1 for 1 year, then 3 years later you are a full licensed driver.

I just got onto my P2 on the 9th, so I'm rockin' green plates now lol.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #183
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Wow, Talk about a nanny state. (in relation to the laws you stated)
If I was in Victoria I would of broken P plate laws all the time.

On P1 I often towed. Its not hard just remember you are a bit longer and cannot go at highway speeds.

The restricted passenger law was only for 11pm-5am. And only on P1 I believe.
I often drove with a car full of people my age. All it does is make your car slower, so It's harder to hoon in. Not that I was trying.

Automatic Licence is only on P1. I got an Auto licence but drove a manual on P2.

I agree with No 8, 10, 12 cylinder cars. No turbos or superchargers. But most of the other rules are quite stupid.
not a nanny state it's just that these are things that feduce hooning young drivers tend to hoon more when encouraged by their peers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Thread so far

-Why karnnt I dryvv a v8, boiizzz? How can I get round tha pigz stupid ruelz?
-It's illegal mate
-These young people today! (I secretly wish it was still 1990)
-P platers are all evil, demonic ferals. Back in my day...
-P platers should only drive Smart Cars. Better yet, they just shouldn't drive because they are incapable of doing so and will all die if they drive!
-No they're not!
-Yes they are because I said so!
good to see inteligent debate, I don't think anyone here is saying all P platers are bad but that there are more P platers involved in serious incidents. attacking the views and comments of others in the way you have above not only cauuses agro but also reduces your credibility
it is better to put your case across in an inteligent level headed way , people are more inclined to consider your point if you do

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #184
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
In NSW you have to do a computer test to get green p's. It's almost the same as the test to get full licence.

I have a full licence but I still think some of the p plate laws are unnecessary.
In Victoria you don't do a computer test to get your red P's (or P1) you do a driving test and then after a year you change the plates from red to green. Nothing needs to be noted on your licence and nobody at Vicroads needs to be notified of anything, just a simple change of plate colour.

I don't see the point to be honest. Before this P1 and P2 system was introduced back in July 2008 every P plate driver displayed red P plates.

That was the standard issue. Then the new rule came in that everyone who obtained there Probationary licence before July 01 2008 would have to change there plates from red to green and anyone who obtained there Probationary licence after that time would have to display red P plates (P1) and after a year change them to green (P2).

In my opinion if they wanted to make the probationary period 4 years instead of 3 than just say so instead of introducing this P1 and P2 red and green garbage.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #185
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN
In my opinion if they wanted to make the probationary period 4 years instead of 3 than just say so instead of introducing this P1 and P2 red and green garbage.
I don't know about Vic, but I think the reason for the Red & Green here is that in NSW Red P drivers are only allowed to do 80kmh whilst Green P plate holders can do 100.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #186
chrisfpv

Quote:
I don't know about Vic, but I think the reason for the Red & Green here is that in NSW Red P drivers are only allowed to do 80kmh whilst Green P plate holders can do 100.
That's one of the things that really confuses me about the whole system. There's no speed restrictions for either P1 or P2 other than the normal speed limits.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #187
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
That's one of the things that really confuses me about the whole system. There's no speed restrictions for either P1 or P2 other than the normal speed limits.
And what makes it even sillier is that a Victorian on (Red) P plates is allowed to do 100kmh in NSW. Where a NSW driver on the same plates is only allowed to do 80!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #188
jezza11

Quote:
And what makes it even sillier is that a Victorian on (Red) P plates is allowed to do 100kmh in NSW. Where a NSW driver on the same plates is only allowed to do 80!

this is not true if you are visiting the state you need to obey by there rules for example, p plater in qld can do any speed, they go to nsw the reds can only go 90km, i had a mate that got done doing over 90 in nsw on red ps with qld license
Old 13-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #189
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
not a nanny state it's just that these are things that feduce hooning young drivers tend to hoon more when encouraged by their peers
That sort of explains one point. But I have never seen someone hooning with a trailer to show off. I cannot understand why p platers shouldn't drive them.
Old 13-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #190
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza11
this is not true if you are visiting the state you need to obey by there rules for example, p plater in qld can do any speed, they go to nsw the reds can only go 90km, i had a mate that got done doing over 90 in nsw on red ps with qld license
Something's wrong here. If he's allowed to do 100 in Qld, where do you get the idea that he can do 90 here?

A P plater is allowed to drive (in NSW) at the speed that his home state (as shown on his license) allows him.
Old 13-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #191
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Havent looked much into this thread but some peoples ideas on the laws are funny.

I am on my green P's in NSW and never had much problems besides the odd speeding fines which have led to suspensions.

Some general rules for NSW:
Red P's (P1)
-90km/h speed limit
-only allowed 1 passenger under 25 between 11pm-5am
-can only tow up to a few 100 kilos..no more then a box trailer
-if you got your Ps in an auto you must only drive auto's while on your reds
-zero alcohol limit
-not allowed to drive v8's, forced induction cars or rotaries

Green P's (P2)
-100km/h speed limit
-allowed as many passengers you want after 11pm
-can tow a car trailer as I do regularly with cars and been breath tested with no problems
-if you got you had to drive autos for your reds you can now legally drive manuals
-0 alcohol limit

Probably a heap more but you get the idea.

I also own a v8 and am sensible in it. I only take it to events I can legally drive it at. My little brother even had a go at the burnouts at Kandos and he was only just got his red Ps lol

I think some of the rules on the prohibited cars are bull crap but you learn to live with it. If the rules went on a power to weight ratio it would be so much better as its obvious a new falcon or commodore would eat an old v8 these days.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 13-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #192
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

towing a trailer is easy till something goes wrong. you ever had a trailer juck knife or get hit by a gust of wind and start jurking voilently from side to side? that takes skill and experience to get out of and I doubt most P platers have enough of either. it is true a lot of experienced drivers lack the skills but the experience in handling a car at least help then reduce the risk. you'll have plenty of years to tow trailers ( often when you don't really want to" just wait a couple of years
to be honest at times I wish I wasn't allowed to tow it would be a good excuse
Quote:
That sort of explains one point. But I have never seen someone hooning with a trailer to show off. I cannot understand why p platers shouldn't drive them.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 13-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #193
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I agree a lot if not most p platers wouldnt know what to do when towing a trailer. Just watching some people trying to reverse a trailer is a big enough indication.

I myself have done more then my fair share of towing especially cars on trailers and most of the time its over long distance. Just a few months ago I went to Canberra and back (about 13 -14 hours drive all up) to pick up a VJ valaint without any issues. Or 3 weeks ago picked up my XF from Sydney. It all comes down to experience. One main problem I see and not just with p platers but alot of "experienced" drivers is trailers loaded incorrectly and loads not secured properly. I have only ever had the death wobbles once towing a car and that was due to the brakes heating up going down a big hill. The car fought me towards the bottom of the hill and went from one side of the road to another. I held it togther and pulled up at the bottom and nearly needed a change of undies. Not something I want to experience to often.
Getting little wobbles at pace is pretty normal but just dont fight it. Keep calm and slowly slow down letting the car correct itself. When ever I hear stories of people getting big death wobbles at 70-80km/h I instantly say to myself that the trailer is loaded wrong. I can happily cruise on 100km/h without any problems. Again it all comes down to experience.

Not tooting my own horn or bagging anyone out but just because some people can have 40-50 years of driving under their belt doesnt mean someone with 4 years on the road can't be a better driver or more experienced in certain areas.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 13-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #194
chrisfpv

Quote:
towing a trailer is easy till something goes wrong. you ever had a trailer juck knife or get hit by a gust of wind and start jurking voilently from side to side? that takes skill and experience to get out of and I doubt most P platers have enough of either. it is true a lot of experienced drivers lack the skills but the experience in handling a car at least help then reduce the risk. you'll have plenty of years to tow trailers ( often when you don't really want to" just wait a couple of years
This was my first thought regarding the rule, but surely this can't be the only reason for the ban if you're allowed to use it for work.

For example 2 people are both on red P plates and both recieved there P's at around the same time. One of them works at Mcdonalds the other is an apprentice bricklayer or carpenter.

The apprentice is allowed to tow a trailer whilst working, what makes him any different to the one that works at McDonalds?

Old 13-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #195
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if he does it all the time for work and not just once in a blue moon for the essential job of getting his dirt bike to the bush he will gain the skills and experience fairly quickly . the guy at maccas . also when he's working he won't have his mates with him encouraging him to act like a moron. the restrictions really revolve around 2 things experience and the moronic way some young drivers to show off for their mates
Quote:
This was my first thought regarding the rule, but surely this can't be the only reason for the ban if you're allowed to use it for work.

For example 2 people are both on red P plates and both recieved there P's at around the same time. One of them works at Mcdonalds the other is an apprentice bricklayer or carpenter.

The apprentice is allowed to tow a trailer whilst working, what makes him any different to the one that works at McDonalds?

Rides:

Old 13-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #196
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't think all the fully licensed drivers would like a sticker on there number plate just to show the police that a P plater can't drive it.

My suggestion is have all the cars illegal to drive by P platers in a database the police can look at in there vehicles. Now in saying this there probably not going to get every single car made by every single company, but atleast all the well known ones.
For that to work the QLD Govt would actually need to spend some money on police equipment and fit out every car with an MDT.
Old 13-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #197
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
For that to work the QLD Govt would actually need to spend some money on police equipment and fit out every car with an MDT.
wouldn't that require Qld entering the 21St century

Rides:

Old 13-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #198
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You seam to be speaking to me as if I am a P plater. Which I have stated I am not. I often tow trailers on and off my P's.
A P plater who knows stuff all about trailers is as dangerous as a full licence driver who knows stuff all about trailers and is towing one for the first time.

When I was on the F3 one night at 1am I had a Toyota Camry (no p plates) go flying past me towing a decent sized boat just as we were about to cross the Mooney Mooney Bridge. I bet you can guess what happened halfway across it when wind hit him. He almost went over the left side of the bridge, then almost went over the right side of the bridge, then almost went over the left side of the bridge again. Estimated speed 120+ I am so surprised he didn't crash. Guess it was his lucky day.

Seen many full licensed drivers in the city change lanes with a trailer and 'forget' they have it on and almost wipe out the car next to them with the trailer.
Just because someone has been driving for long enough to have a full licence, doesn't mean they are intelligent.
Old 13-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #199
chrisfpv

Quote:
When I was on the F3 one night at 1am I had a Toyota Camry (no p plates) go flying past me towing a decent sized boat just as we were about to cross the Mooney Mooney Bridge. I bet you can guess what happened halfway across it when wind hit him. He almost went over the left side of the bridge, then almost went over the right side of the bridge, then almost went over the left side of the bridge again. Estimated speed 120+ I am so surprised he didn't crash. Guess it was his lucky day.
One could argue that he didn't crash because he was experienced at towing, as most boat owners should be.
Old 13-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #200
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Just because someone has been driving for long enough to have a full licence, doesn't mean they are intelligent.
Some people think that full licence = expert. I'll let this video do the talking, the creator being a member of these forums..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHzaeTpYB0
Old 13-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #201
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't get me wrong I agree there are fully licenced drivers who can't tow and I know the mooney mooney bridge well can be down right dangerous towing anything of size there with any wind blowing ( which is most of the time)unless you know what your doing. what I am saying is if you compound poor towing skill with little or no driving experience you are looking for trouble. the driver you mentioned was lucky to get to the other side simple as that. there was no excuse for his actions either there are signs and wind socks there yet he chose to risk his and his fellow road users lifes by towing at speed in a dangerous area
you can only reduce risks with road rules but idiots like him will only take notice when it's too late
Quote:
You seam to be speaking to me as if I am a P plater. Which I have stated I am not. I often tow trailers on and off my P's.
A P plater who knows stuff all about trailers is as dangerous as a full licence driver who knows stuff all about trailers and is towing one for the first time.

Seen many full licensed drivers in the city change lanes with a trailer and 'forget' they have it on and almost wipe out the car next to them with the trailer.

Rides:

Old 13-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #202
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One could argue that he didn't crash because he was experienced at towing, as most boat owners should be.
I guess one also could argue that someone with towing experience should of known in the first place not to go across a bridge at 120. Especially one that has a sign before it saying "High wind area"

Apparently the Camry can tow 1100kgs braked. I don't know how much a boat weighs, but an early 90's camry is not a great tow vehicle

Last edited by Ben73; 13-03-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 13-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #203
chrisfpv

Quote:
I guess one also could argue that someone with towing experience should of known in the first place not to go across a bridge at 120. Especially one that has a sign before it saying "High wind area"
Touché
Old 14-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #204
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Owned my V8 on my P's, didn't drive it until I got my opens.

Only person we knew with an exemption was the son of a car dealer who needed the exemption "24/7" due to the fact cars could be delivered at all times of the day or night.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 14-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #205
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Something's wrong here. If he's allowed to do 100 in Qld, where do you get the idea that he can do 90 here?

A P plater is allowed to drive (in NSW) at the speed that his home state (as shown on his license) allows him.
you have to follow the laws of the state you are in!!
victorian's cant do "U" turns at light's in nsw
darwinites cant do 130kph in nsw.

gas dont you have a magneta licence??
Old 14-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #206
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

A mate of mine has an exemption because his family own v8s. He owns one very tough EL XR8 with a freshly built 400+hp 347 stroker. Anyone who went to the Kandos street machine would have seen it in the burnout comp.

Old 14-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #207
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
you have to follow the laws of the state you are in!!
victorian's cant do "U" turns at light's in nsw
darwinites cant do 130kph in nsw.
This.

Any L or P platers on here that are licensed in NSW, bloody follow the QLD rules while you're in QLD. It's dangerous because you think you need to stick to your limited speed in an area where EVERYONE drives past you at up to 40km/h more than what you do.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #208
bigdude1011

In the ACT, we only have red P-plates, we have no car restrictions, but we've just gone down to zero tolerance for Alcohol (from .02).

After 6 months of Ps, we can attend a class, which just consists of being forced to watch TAC advertisements (the ACT would rather spend money on useless sculptures), and we are able to get 8 demerits (rather than 4), and don't have to show our P-plates (it shows up as a condition on the licence). Catch is, it costs $75, so the only people who do it, are the ones who are about to lose their licence.

In NSW, on our Ls, we have to drive at 80, but on our Ps, we can drive whatever speed is posted.

Not many people here actually drive high-performance cars on their Ps, but only because insurance/fuel costs are prohibitive (the only non-apprentice jobs around for people of p-plater age are low-paid retail/hospitality jobs at places like Coles or McDonald's - it's very hard for a school leaver to get a job in the public service).

In my opinion, it's not the car, it's the mindset of the owner. Go out and look at the cars that are being impounded through those "hoon laws", most of them are 6-cylinder Falcodores, and riced-out Corollas/Civics/Lancers. It's very rare to see someone hooning in a really nice, old-skool or hi-performance car (except for events like Summernats, or on the track).

I did my defensive driver training course early last year (also free from AAMI), I had the oldest car there (1996), and was the only one without ABS brakes.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #209
napmatt
Starter Motor

Default Re: p plater driving V8s

it can be done mate, i did it. it was an exemption from work though.. but my driving record was really bad and they still had 2 let me for work. but the "company" which is owned by me and my dad owned the car.. also every1, im selling a custom soundsystem for a FG ute, looks and sounds great. message me if interested.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #210
trento
Audiophile

Default Re: p plater driving V8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
This.

Any L or P platers on here that are licensed in NSW, bloody follow the QLD rules while you're in QLD. It's dangerous because you think you need to stick to your limited speed in an area where EVERYONE drives past you at up to 40km/h more than what you do.
That is incorrect.

When I was living in QLD but still held my NSW red P's I was governed by the rules of my License.

Spoke to several Police officers and Roads & Traffic officials about it.

You have to obey the road rules of the state you are in but you also have to obey any restrictions on your License.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
Closed Thread