Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #181
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The new generation of car enthusiasts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The pitchforks and torches you greet in the driveway :O
i dont think hyundai/corolla etc drivers are going to put much fear into anyone.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #182
jixel 78

Its hard to pass up the finance, the nice paint and the A/C when all you have to do is sign on the dotted line. Old cars are hard work, they certainly arent a drive away deal, and they take more than the obligatory wash and wax on Saturday mornings. The younger mob today are more interested in flogging around droppin skids than fixing up old cars, and they dont and never will have to do it. None of the grommets with white caps and 20 inch rims (usually only got three of em, coz one got bent last weekend) give a rats **** about working towards something, or getting a sense of achievement of doin it yourself because finance companies throw plenty of cash at them and they never had to keep an old car on the road. Sure the Datsun I had when I was 17 was shocking, but I had to pay rent, fuel, and generally look after myself, which I didnt do very well.The difference was I needed that old car to get to work and finish my apprenticeship,give myself a future,so tended to be a bit gentler on it knowing it was something I relied on. When it let me down, I wasnt able to rock on down the local car yard and sign up for the you beaut bargain of the day. I kept it going, and found an affection for old worn out cars in general, thus forging my `enthusiasm` for them.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #183
jlef5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S Jay
The answer is Classic styling with modern running gear eg.Xa Coupe with new 335 supercharged boss motor,6 speed tremec and all modern RRS suspension and steering. That combines old with new!
I have close to that I have a body of a 64 EH with a efi V6, has ok power and speed and still returns 8 ltrs per hundred. Il drive that car over any other car I've ever been in.
jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #184
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is pretty sad, I'm the only one of my mates who is really into cars, watch motorsport and enjoy tinking with my car.. all they want is a VE SS dropped on its guts on 22's..hell i'd give anything to be able to own a pre XD 351 powered Ford..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #185
jlef5

I'm fairly young still just turned 23 and I've always been into older cars. Don't know what started it off but i always liked older cars. My dad used to be a car man years ago before i was born, non of my uncles had hot cars. I just always liked old cars and still do.
My first car was a 76 Gemini Coupe i brought when i was 16, I spent 11 months doing it up and loved it. My mates all played video games i worked on my gemini. I now own a 64 EH with efi v6, its great to drive and I drive it nearly everyday, I just love it, sitting in the seat makes every worry/stress and problem go out the window instantly.
I'm currently looking at selling my Nissan Patrol as i don't do much 4wding. I'm hoping i can find a nice HK-HT-HG ute or XM-XP and a VN-VP V8 or EF-AU V8 and do a similar conversion to what the EH has had done cost might be $15000 to $20000 but it will be the car i want. May be flamed for this but even considering a little turbo diesel conversion into said utes.
Loud subs, and newer bling bling cars have never interested me, old school metal is the way to go for enjoying the drive not just getting from A to B.
Im different though love cruising on the open road with acdc, meatloaf, van halen, motley crue, def leppard or led zep at full volume and hate all this new duff duff music crap.
Classic not Plastic all the way.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #186
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

In my opinion I think older cars are starting to become popular again amongst us young blokes although P-plate laws kill a lot of peoples dreams so most prefer more modern cars.

I have a wide range of mates with older cars and I love it. I am 20 and own old cars. People are always on my back about owning and working ****** old fords but I love them. There is no prouder moment then going for a drive in my cars after working on them and seeing the looks on the doubters faces as you drive past is the icing on the cake.

My cars:
- 1967 XR Falcon 500 wagon (long term project)
- 1984 XE Fairmont. Runs warm 351 Cleveland, C4 auto and locked 4.11 diff (burnout car)
- 1986 XF S-Pack. Currently building worked 250 xflow to eat some commodores (burnout car)
- 1984 XE S-Pack (parts car)
- 1974 LH Torana. Runs worked 202 with yellaterra head etc (project)
- 1996 EF Fairmont Ghia (daily driver)

Little brother is 17 and his cars are:
- 1987 XF Fairmont. Minitubbed, custom engine bay and boot. Fully worked 250 xflow being built for it. (project)
- 1981 XD (in talks of purchase)

Mates:
- HQ premier tub back running 308 and auto (project)
- 1969 Valiant VF sedan running work 318 (project/burnout car)
- 1984 XE running worked 250 xflow with triple carbs
- XB running 393 stroker

There are heaps more with cars but you get the idea.

Sure newer cars have all the luxury gizmos but you cant beat cruising in an old car with the rumble of a carby fed v8 and hundreds of looks.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #187
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldnt go saying old school is more work.. BA is much more upkeep and niggly little crap than the XA....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #188
XH-Fan119
The Tinkerer

Unhappy Re: The new generation of car enthusiasts...

IMO one of the major problems with late model cars they hate been repaired outside of a dealership mechanic. I love my XH being a 90' series, ( i remember the adds as a boy from my dads car mags) and i have no intentions to do burnouts and the like, because as i live out of home on apprentice wages i know how much i had to work and save for each piece of my ute, and the time i spent working on it is a reward in itself when i hear it purr after a big overhaul.
the classics are cool and look mean when crusing through town, i just cant afford one.

i like 90 series fords just my thing.... but i wouldnt touch a commodore with a ten foot pole tied to a 100 foot pole, nothing against gm personly its just VNs cruising on 20''s bottoming out on every dip and sounding like their belts are made of band saw blades and feauturing a poorly fitted Chevy badge.... makes a man wonder what kind of stupidity does my generation have
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #189
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i wouldnt go saying old school is more work.. BA is much more upkeep and niggly little crap than the XA....
Ill agree to that. My old girls are much easier than my newer ones to deal with.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #190
jixel 78

Of course. Once the body job is out the way its all easy.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #191
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Its sad that hot hatches are getting popular, like Renaults and Peugots.
Man whats happened to Aussie blokes?
Mention Ford and Holden now and you get called a bogan or wogan.

I don't see this as sad at all.

You want to know why you get called a bogan if you mention Ford or Holden? Because most owners of the two brands are....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #192
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I'm young (18), into old cars (have a 67 Hr, fully restored just waiting for a bit of cash to finish it off/put it on the road).
I have no interest in "chucking skids", cruising is way better than driving like a tool.
I think most people on here are generalising too much, maybe I'm part of a dying breed of real enthusiasts.
I personally am not interested in any falcon after ED. I love EA/B/Ds though.
Call me crazy but I'd prefer to be out cruising in the HR with my girlfriend on a hot summer's day, sticking to the vinyl seats than sitting in a fancy pants new AUDI with the climate control on.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #193
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
I'm young (18), into old cars (have a 67 Hr, fully restored just waiting for a bit of cash to finish it off/put it on the road).
I have no interest in "chucking skids", cruising is way better than driving like a tool.
I think most people on here are generalising too much, maybe I'm part of a dying breed of real enthusiasts.
Call me crazy but I'd prefer to be out cruising in the HR with my girlfriend on a hot summer's day, sticking to the vinyl seats than sitting in a fancy pants new AUDI with the climate control on.
Ok, you are crazy.

I just love the astounding amount of bullsh*t regarding new car owners aren't real 'enthusiasts'... To a lot of hot-rodders, you squares with your older than '48's might not be real 'enthusiasts'

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #194
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Sadly, a lot of guys in my year level in 2009 actually did own hair straighteners.
Ew wtf
poof "P
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #195
jlef5

Quote:
I wouldn't call ya crazy, I'd call ya mate cos i love the cruisen too my cars just 3 years older. Whats the HR got done to her.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #196
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I like travelling over 200km/h in air conditioned comfort on the highway and will do it again soon when the occupational forces are ejected from "free Australia" as well as going sideways in the bush in old cars and 4 wheel drifting around racetracks but have no interest in cruising or even being seen by anyone at all and NEVER drive "enthusiastically" with passengers.
I have driven well over 1,000,000km and have owned more cars in the last 5 years than you have had birthdays.

Does that make me a REAL car enthusiast and you not one at all?

Or does the definition of a car enthusiast include ANYONE who is enthusiastic about ANYTHING to do with driving.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #197
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
My theory is three-fold (well three and a half)

1) Housing prices and the general cost of living is SO high at the moment that to aspire to build a car is just not worth thinking about.

2) The cost of muscle cars is 10 times what they were 15 years ago... anyone else remember looking through Unique Cars in '95/96 era and dreaming about a phase 3 up for sale for $55k, or thereabouts?

3) Police crackdowns (defects etc), the image of "hoons" in the media means that the "fringe" enthusiasts just can't be bothered... it's too much hassle now.

And the half... modern cars now offer so much power, handling etc that a lot of people just don't think they need to spend the money to modify. A WRX or Evo is cheap and so much fun.
When I was a youngster and the average wage was about $80 , a Mustang used was 4k a New norton Comando 1500$ , a HD Sporster 2500.00 and those figures were very intimidating , but a mini cooper was only $1250.00
I drove a unsed 1100 cc mini as a daily , the weekend car was a 39 Ford and my bike was a 65 Triumph Thunderbird , you youngsters don't do it that tough
Try racing your mate in an 850 mini when you are driving a hotted up Morris Minor
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #198
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Ok. You're crazy.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #199
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Ok, you are crazy.

I just love the astounding amount of bullsh*t regarding new car owners aren't real 'enthusiasts'... To a lot of hot-rodders, you squares with your older than '48's might not be real 'enthusiasts'
Here, here. All this talk of a 'real driving experience can only be found in the older cars' is absurd. I've taken BF and FG Turbo's around Barbs, plus a BF GT. Stuff me thats a scary experience at full throttle and people are crazy if they think that that isn't a driving experience.

Just because it is harder to drive a car, doesn't make it a better driving experience. In fact...it would completely suck IMO!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #200
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

To me its not the "real driving experience" or whatnot behind old cars, its the soul that comes with it.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #201
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand
Here, here. All this talk of a 'real driving experience can only be found in the older cars' is absurd. I've taken BF and FG Turbo's around Barbs, plus a BF GT. Stuff me thats a scary experience at full throttle and people are crazy if they think that that isn't a driving experience.

Just because it is harder to drive a car, doesn't make it a better driving experience. In fact...it would completely suck IMO!
pink is your colour.. it matches your handbag and shoes.......
Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #202
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Coming into this conversation a bit late, but anyway...

I'm 25, and as much as I love my older classics, they are just too far out of reach for me, and I'll be honest, I don't think I would have the knowhow or resources to keep them in tip top shape. On the other hand, newer cars, as great as they are, just seem to have less...character.

Call me crazy, but I'm debating in the near future finding an eb/Ed xr8 and cutting my teeth on restoring it, as I never see a clean example on the roads anymore. These were the cars of my childhood (when I discovered what a v8 was) and it has just stuck with me. Same can be said for younger people now with vt's I guess.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #203
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Just for the record, i am not saying that you have to own an old car to be a car enthusiast. What i am saying is that i am yet to meet a true car enthusiast that flogs his car every time he drives it. The HR is stock standard as it left the factory but dad bare metal reso'd it many moons ago.

I apologise for the grammar of this post, i'm typing it on my phone. I dont't mean any disrespect to anyone that believes different to me. New cars don't interest me, end of discussion. That is my personal opinion, to be honest i could care less what other people think.

To the bloke with the EH, mate that is a sweet car. The HR has a 186 and four speed on the books , should be something special.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #204
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH-Fan119
i like 90 series fords just my thing.... but i wouldnt touch a commodore with a ten foot pole tied to a 100 foot pole, nothing against gm personly its just VNs cruising on 20''s bottoming out on every dip and sounding like their belts are made of band saw blades and feauturing a poorly fitted Chevy badge.... makes a man wonder what kind of stupidity does my generation have
That's why I've stuck to the older Commodores (VB-VL). Not as many on the road as there used to be.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #205
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just for the record, i am not saying that you have to own an old car to be a car enthusiast. What i am saying is that i am yet to meet a true car enthusiast that flogs his car every time he drives it. The HR is stock standard as it left the factory but dad bare metal reso'd it many moons ago.

I apologise for the grammar of this post, i'm typing it on my phone. I dont't mean any disrespect to anyone that believes different to me. New cars don't interest me, end of discussion. That is my personal opinion, to be honest i could care less what other people think.

To the bloke with the EH, mate that is a sweet car. The HR has a 186 and four speed on the books , should be something special.
HR's rock man.. back in the day my old 161 three on the tree used to frequently do the Adelaide.. Kingoonya.. Tarcoola.. Mulgathing.. Commonwealth Hill .. thing......
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #206
Mitch89
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Agreed, just because we're interested in new cars rather than old ones doesn't mean we aren't enthusiasts.

My parents were never really into cars, although my dad always had nice ones. I didn't really get into cars until I got my license! Then the (costly) interest became a passion.

Another reason I'd expect less of my generation are interested in old cars is they don't have a place to put them. Where I live I don't have a drive-through garage with a big backyard to put an old car in or to work on one.

Personally I don't really have any interest in old cars, but appreciate the amazing amount of work some people put into them. If you enjoy it, then go for it!

Last edited by Mitch89; 08-04-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Mitch89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #207
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO older cars are uncomfy and expensive. I am currently 27

I have had a chance over the past 10 years to help restore 3 cars and have also driven them. Also driven around in a XR GT (replica) for a bit.

1964 XM ford ,EH holden and a 1976 Gemini coupe

With these cars I still perfer to drive my B series cars. Specially my BA GT. I just think all the features and the power is better than an old classic. I am not into older cars but I do understand why people are in love with them. I would take a modern car anyday.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #208
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I may be seeing things a bit differently.. and maybe it's only me.

I usually try to look at other reasons, something outside the box.

Instead of just saying " kids these days, what would they know " which sums up the entire thread so far...

.... over the last 8-9 years, theres been a dramatic push, at least in Victoria for first Home Buyers. The first home buyers scheme is a fantastic incentive for young people to get into property at a young age. There abouts if there wasn't this culture of purchasing property being the number one priority things may be a lot different in terms of classic & muscle cars, bikes ownership in young people.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #209
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I may be seeing things a bit differently.. and maybe it's only me.

I usually try to look at other reasons, something outside the box.

Instead of just saying " kids these days, what would they know " which sums up the entire thread so far...

.... over the last 8-9 years, theres been a dramatic push, at least in Victoria for first Home Buyers. The first home buyers scheme is a fantastic incentive for young people to get into property at a young age. There abouts if there wasn't this culture of purchasing property being the number one priority things may be a lot different in terms of classic & muscle cars, bikes ownership in young people.
Very true mate, escpecially when houses are so expensive these days it takes everything to get yourself into one. I worked both full time (mon - froday) and part time (20hours sat and sunday) also while studying engineering part time for 8 years to buy my first classic at 19 which is still the XY I have now at 25 and also start a house deposit. I have been driving the same XF Fairmont now since I bought it as my first car in 2001 which is almost now a classic and as others said looked after it well because I can't afoord to just go buy another if I break it. There is a lot of hard work involved having a second car for the younger generation without friends and family to help. With house prices most rent and also have no where to store them etc. Only way would be to have it as a daily.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #210
SVR73
Mr Polish

Fantastic reading I must say and terrific posts by so many

I'm not into cars as much as some but still believe I'm an enthusiast
Coming into this world in January 1973 and having my life saved by being in a big tough XA Falcon sedan at six weeks of age after a massive car accident, gives me one reason why I still love the old school aussie and US Muscle

It was the fact that my uncle owned when I was born and still does today, a 1968 Falcon 500 XT Ute with a 302 windsor V8 and 120,000 miles on it, my mother owned the XA until it got written off in the accident (brought me home from hospital in that car) and then she got an XB Wagon 302 and after that, an 1976 XC GS rally pack Fairmont V8 Wagon that has kept me passionate about old school cars and aussie fords in particular

Today's cars and I bet the future's cars simply do and will not have the feel, smell, character and looks of those of the golden era

My first car was a 3 year old suzuki swift but six years Later I found my dream car, Dec 1972 XA Fairmont Coupe with US 4V 351 clevo, C4 tranny with hurst shifter and a mint condition black interior

Did a partial resto of it and fitted big wheels and tyres and it went like a shower of you know what.
Loved it to death and drove it daily for years before making the mistake of listening to my parents one time I shouldnt of and selling it

For a while there in 1999/2000 I had my Galaxy blue Ford AU Forte and the XB Coupe in the double garage side by side.
Man there was nothing like driving the AU all week then getting into the old girl, taking a wif of that 1970's carpet and vinyl smell and going for a burn and hitting 230 km/h and sitting on it for 10 seconds then backing off (way over the speed limit of 110 where I was driving it (at 6am mind you) It did that speed comfortably

Since owning my Ford Tickford AU XR6 series 1 sedan in galaxy blue with the full kit in 2004, I've done my best to keep it locked away in the shed most of the time and drive it only seasonly (summer)

Because I want to keep that car for life. It may not be the same as 1930's to 70's cars but in 20 years time, it will be pretty damn good opening the garage door and starting the XR up and taking it for a spin and perhaps having a similar experience to that of monty V8 and his beast.
Probably not as much looks and cheers as what he gets but not bad.

All the AU Haters wont have much to say either.

In finishing, I believe the passion for old school cars is the same thing as whats happening with my #1 hobby, Video Technology and movie collecting

I am part (one of the founders) of an Aussie You Tube community of horror and general movie collectors who although embraced DVD and some, Blu Ray too, continue to purchase, repair or use, Betamax and VHS VCR's as well as hunt around australia and the world for Retro VHS, Beta and Laserdisc movies

My collection of VHS, beta and Laserdisc is pretty huge. some serious rarities and retro titles in my shed.
The general public is oblivious to it as they collect blu rays etc whilst we go from thrift shop to market and ebay looking for vhs from the golden era of home video

Last edited by SVR73; 09-04-2011 at 12:51 AM.
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post