Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #181
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My pet peeve for the day is somone hitting you from behind and saying it your fault because you stoped .

Well ***** thats what you do at a intersection you stop . You stop to make sure it safe to go . And a little tip if your car is moving forward you should be looking out the front windscreen . And i couldn't care less your hyundai i30 is new you just wrote off my ute . You are so lucky i didn't get a free ak47 when i bought this because i would not mind shooting you .
Old 17-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #182
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

For those that have responded to my previous comments, saying I should be polite and pull over to let traffic pass. Maybe they should drive a service truck, down narrow streets, with cars parked either side, and see how much fun it actually is.

Or how about we use GECKO GT as an example. He would be in a similar situation as myself. Having to find street names, house numbers etc etc. Should he have to pull over and let traffic pass, because he'd be holding them up to? I don't think so.

To conclude it. perhaps people should try and do the same thing as myself and Gecko and se how difficult it really is

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 17-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #183
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Heres a thought, if youre experiencing lots of crazy driving acts, and not driving for a living, maybe some of it is you.

Spot on mate, rep points your way.
Old 17-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #184
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
For those that have responded to my previous comments, saying I should be polite and pull over to let traffic pass. Maybe they should drive a service truck, down narrow streets, with cars parked either side, and see how much fun it actually is.

Or how about we use GECKO GT as an example. He would be in a similar situation as myself. Having to find street names, house numbers etc etc. Should he have to pull over and let traffic pass, because he'd be holding them up to? I don't think so.

To conclude it. perhaps people should try and do the same thing as myself and Gecko and se how difficult it really is

Very good post. I think those that get so upset slowing down for a bit so someone can find a street number should try it a bit more regularly. Sometimes street numbers or signs can be very hard to find, perhaps some patience and understanding would go a long way, where do you have to be that 20 seconds is going to be life or death to you?

I have had the odd occasion where a motorist has sat behind my ambulance and stood on their horn because I am driving slow (20-30 km/h) in a 50 or 60 zone looking for a street number. The sad thing is that if it was their son under the trampoline with a broken arm and in pain, they would probably also be the first to get upset that it took us too long to get to them. Would that person also understand that we had to stop and let cars through because we had to travel slow looking for the house number?

I think if there is not a lot of traffic behind you, it is courtesy to pull over and let them through. If there is a lot of traffic and it would require pulling over every 5 metres, it is not reasonable to expect them to do that. They do have the right to get to where they are going.
Old 17-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #185
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYSBF
100km/h is the maximum allowable speed, not the target you need to get to. Seems as though there would be a few road ragers on here by the tones.
Buddy, I couldn't agree more ...
That's why when an idiot is behine me and I'm doing the limit, I just move over promptly so he can be on his merry way doing 120km/h.

The last thing I'm going to do is argue with an idiot...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 17-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #186
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Buddy, I couldn't agree more ...
That's why when an idiot is behine me and I'm doing the limit, I just move over promptly so he can be on his merry way doing 120km/h.

The last thing I'm going to do is argue with an idiot...

Not worth the headache.
Old 18-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #187
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

A couple of you seem to be missing the point in regards to pulling over if you are lost. An ambo is a totally different cateory to a tradie's truck. All emergency vehicles should be given their choice to slow down or go around you or stop etc. It is, or should be accepted knowledge that these folks are an exemption due to their life saving work. Unless you are in a large truck etc, then there really isn't much excuse, i'm sorry. You can pull into a side street if you are really lost, or drive at pace, and go around the block if you find you have gone too far, or even come to a dead stop and put your hazard lights on, so that people behind you know that they can go around you. (provided the road allows it) At least that way others can get on with their journey with minimal disruption. If you can't pull right over, but there are no double lines and cars can overtake you, then stop for 10 seconds and let them pass in safety, instead of trying to overtake you while you are moving. When using a car trailer to pick up scrap metal, i find myself in difficult positions too, due to the size of my vehicle, so the points i just listed are the things that i do to avoid getting abused for holding people up. I really don't see how one person can justify holding up a line of people just because they are lost. Anyone in a small vehicle has no excuse whatsoever.
Old 18-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #188
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

We weren't talking about people who are "completely lost", just people looking for street signs and house numbers. That does not really constitute completely lost does it?

I agree, completely lost should pull over and let cars through while they work out where they are at the next intersection (a good reference point for double checking the map).
Old 18-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #189
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
We weren't talking about people who are "completely lost", just people looking for street signs and house numbers. That does not really constitute completely lost does it?

I agree, completely lost should pull over and let cars through while they work out where they are at the next intersection (a good reference point for double checking the map).
He made a good point, but its not always better to pull over. Imagine trying to pull up on Gympie Rd at 3pm and wait for everyone in the left lane to pass. There wont be a gap where you would be able to drive slower for a few more hours. Youll only be holding up the next group of traffic if you did.

Some people just dont know how to share the road with millions of other tax payers. Doesnt matter whether they are the car in front, or the one behind. People are just too impatient, 30 seconds of their life and they want blood.
Old 18-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #190
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when im towing a tandem trailer or in my little banana back truck with car on i look in my mirror every several seconds and if anyone is being held up by me i will sit on shoulder (with tar edge) so its far easier for them to pass and i will also give one blink on indicator if i can see road ahead is clear for them to pass.
for gods sake its not very hard to do and makes for a more pleasant drive(read less tiring)and unlike a certain person on forum i had a small dig at last week from SA there is no need to be the people police and deliberatly sit below speed limit (read annoying *****)that just causes road rage,but if you do have someone tailgating ,just let them around ,why would you risk road rage just because you feel like your in the rite.
Old 18-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #191
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Don't think this one has been said... and it is such a simple gesture.

People who don't give a thank you wave back when you do obviously do something to accommodate them on the road.

What angers me more? The same people who then go on to be a tool and cut off, run a red, turn from the wrong lane. And you allowing then to do it by letting them in.
Old 18-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #192
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

How do you know you've gone to far, when looking for a number, or a street name? Once you've found a safe spot to pull over?

Sorry to disappoint, but unless you actually drive down some of these small streets at night time, looking for house numbers or street signs, you haven't got much of an idea.

And some Queenslanders having a dig. Lived round that state, so I'm fully aware of what streets are like round seaside surburbs. Nice, wide and not a lot of traffic

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 18-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #193
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Don't think this one has been said... and it is such a simple gesture.

People who don't give a thank you wave back when you do obviously do something to accommodate them on the road.

What angers me more? The same people who then go on to be a tool and cut off, run a red, turn from the wrong lane. And you allowing then to do it by letting them in.
I have often found that people in expensive, imported "luxury" cars (BMW, Merc, Audi) neglect to wave more often than those in something "locally" produced or cheap and cheerful. Not sure whether it's a superiority complex ie. "Yes well you should have let me in, because I drive a more expensive car than you and am therefore better etc" or because driving such a car gives them delusions of grandeur. "You didn't let me in, I got that space all by myself because I'm in a BMW."

I use the term "locally" produced loosely, our friends at GM will know why.

Sorry if I have offended anyone who drives an expensive imported car, I speak only from experience. I'm sure there are diamonds in the rough.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #194
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must say there are 3 BMW's I like and would like to get one day.
I'd break the stereotype and be considerate to other drivers and shock everyone.
Old 19-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #195
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
I have often found that people in expensive, imported "luxury" cars (BMW, Merc, Audi) neglect to wave more often than those in something "locally" produced or cheap and cheerful. Not sure whether it's a superiority complex ie. "Yes well you should have let me in, because I drive a more expensive car than you and am therefore better etc" or because driving such a car gives them delusions of grandeur. "You didn't let me in, I got that space all by myself because I'm in a BMW."

I use the term "locally" produced loosely, our friends at GM will know why.

Sorry if I have offended anyone who drives an expensive imported car, I speak only from experience. I'm sure there are diamonds in the rough.
And then theres the flip side, where the driver of the locally produced vehicle assumes youre so worried about your expensive piece of German engineering they just force their way. Im sure theres FPV drivers who experience that with drivers in rust buckets.
Old 19-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #196
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I must say there are 3 BMW's I like and would like to get one day.
I'd break the stereotype and be considerate to other drivers and shock everyone.
Old 19-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #197
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
A couple of you seem to be missing the point in regards to pulling over if you are lost. An ambo is a totally different cateory to a tradie's truck. All emergency vehicles should be given their choice to slow down or go around you or stop etc. It is, or should be accepted knowledge that these folks are an exemption due to their life saving work. Unless you are in a large truck etc, then there really isn't much excuse, i'm sorry. You can pull into a side street if you are really lost, or drive at pace, and go around the block if you find you have gone too far, or even come to a dead stop and put your hazard lights on, so that people behind you know that they can go around you. (provided the road allows it) At least that way others can get on with their journey with minimal disruption. If you can't pull right over, but there are no double lines and cars can overtake you, then stop for 10 seconds and let them pass in safety, instead of trying to overtake you while you are moving. When using a car trailer to pick up scrap metal, i find myself in difficult positions too, due to the size of my vehicle, so the points i just listed are the things that i do to avoid getting abused for holding people up. I really don't see how one person can justify holding up a line of people just because they are lost. Anyone in a small vehicle has no excuse whatsoever.
Exactly... good to see someone with a brain and consideration...
unlike others that have no idea and no consideration...
Old 19-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #198
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This seems to be more prevelent with young female drivers here... (just a observation!)
That when coming down a narrow street, a car coming head on has a car parked on the side of the road blocking its lane.
For some dammed reason they are unable to show any brains and instead of stopping and allowing you through, they sneak in and drive real slow squeezing past both the parked car and my car.
Not once have I come a across a young female who has stopped and given way.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 19-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #199
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
This seems to be more prevelent with young female drivers here... (just a observation!)
That when coming down a narrow street, a car coming head on has a car parked on the side of the road blocking its lane.
For some dammed reason they are unable to show any brains and instead of stopping and allowing you through, they sneak in and drive real slow squeezing past both the parked car and my car.

I believe that stems from the feminist attitudes that are instilled with them growing up. A lot of young ladies don't realise this, but yes, they do in fact have equal rights etc, but just because they have those rights, they don't need to be rude and aggressive. For a lot of them, it seems that being rude and aggressive is their way of asserting their rights and showing the world that they are some sort of equal. As a result, it also shows up on our streets when they get behind the wheel. Not all women are like this of course, but i have noticed this trend happening for a while now.
If you are driving and the parked car is on your side of the street, then you need to yield for the car that does not have an obstruction. it's common sense and manners.
Old 19-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #200
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not really a peeve, but why do people lean their heads in the direction they are going around a corner? Saw someone doing it today, turning left off Wells Rd into Edithvale Rd at Chelsea Heights in a RAV-4. Do they think they are going so fast that it helps?

This one is a peeve though - why do so many knob jockeys need to go across two lanes of traffic to get the vacant "pole pole position" at the lights, when they were only doing 70 in an 80 zone anyway, and are usually the last to leave the white line when the lights go green? F*cksticks.
Old 19-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #201
prydey
Rob

Quote:
does your car not have a brake pedal? pretty sure you could stop to let the other driver through if you're that worried about being enough space for 2 cars to pass.
Old 19-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #202
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about the people that cant seem to fully pull into the turn right lane and slow the traffic behind them as they straddle the lanes just because its too ****en hard to turn the steering wheel a few degrees more! I'm angry just thinkin about it! ...........settle....settle....
Old 19-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #203
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
does your car not have a brake pedal? pretty sure you could stop to let the other driver through if you're that worried about being enough space for 2 cars to pass.

Umm.. I dont have to stop.
They are the ones with an obstruction in front of them and have to pull out into oncoming traffic....

But hey.. lets start an arguement for no reason.

Old 19-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #204
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Umm.. I dont have to stop.
They are the ones with an obstruction in front of them and have to pull out into oncoming traffic....

But hey.. lets start an arguement for no reason.
my point is, many people barge on regardless becuase they have 'right of way' but a little courtesy goes both ways.

too many people believe they have a 'right' to be somewhere when if we all chilled and had a different attitude, there would be a lot less anger on the road.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #205
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

I really don't think that people looking for house numbers are the real issue on our roads. I would be lucky to encounter this a few times a year. And in that case a little bit of patience goes a long way. And reguarding 100kp\h being the maximum limit and not a goal, i think the goal is the maximum possible limit without getting caught. lol. later. I truely believe that out of all the issues i encounter on queensland roads, Keep left unless overtaking is the greatest. later....
Old 19-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #206
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
my point is, many people barge on regardless becuase they have 'right of way' but a little courtesy goes both ways.

too many people believe they have a 'right' to be somewhere when if we all chilled and had a different attitude, there would be a lot less anger on the road.

So in other words its ok for people to barge on through despite not having the right of way.... same with people who cut you off when merging at the last minute despite them being in no position to do so because the lane ended 10m back and they decide to floor it....

There would be less anger on the roads is people followed the road rules, showed courtesy, this is what the thread is about....

Someone going around a parked car and forcing you to brake or run into the gutter to avoid a collision is not showing any of this.... but hey thats fine, we should just allow that sorta stupid behavour so we dont get angry.

Old 20-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #207
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

^^^^ Agree 100% mate.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 20-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #208
1streetmachine1

also ill add:
People who use half the turning lane and half the driving lane when taking a corner.. i mean wtf.. thanks for making me lock up the brakes because your too selfish to use the lane provided for you to turn the corner

also people who leave such a big gap in peak hour traffic that everytime we attempt to move forward 5 cars and a semi from the other lane move into the one we are in... i hate those people

Old 20-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #209
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kwinana Freeway heading southbound from the city in Perth...

People who will do 90 through the 80 section and then stay on 90 in the 100 section when road conditions dictate otherwise!
Old 20-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #210
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I had the opportunity to follow my mum to a family reunion more or less "beyond the black stump". I still don't know where it is. I had to follow her there because nobody knew the street address to put into my satnav.

The whole way there, she drove at 85km/h. On the (110) multi lane highways, (100) rural single lane highways, (50) small townships, the lot. 85km/h.

And the scary thing is, she is teaching my little brother how to drive.
Closed Thread