Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #181
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...ml?autostart=1

[QUOTE]
Senator demands answers as Apple poised to dodge iPhone 4 recall
ASHER MOSES
July 16, 2010 - 12:44PM

Apple reportedly has no plans to recall the iPhone 4 over a serious design flaw as a US Senator demands a permanent fix ahead of a surprise press conference early tomorrow to address concerns with the device.

A New York Senator, Charles Schumer, has written to Apple chief executive officer Steve Jobs demanding that he properly explain the cause of the antenna problems and issue a permanent fix.

He said Apple's previous explanations - first that users were holding the phone wrongly and then that it was a mere software issue - were inadequate. Independent tests had already confirmed that a hardware design flaw was causing the dropped calls.

Never one to shy away from a potshot at its chief competitor, Microsoft's chief operating officer Kevin Turner said in a speech to Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference yesterday that Windows Phone 7, due for release later this year, would not be afflicted by reception problems.

"It looks like iPhone 4 might be their [Windows] Vista," Turner said, using his company's own software as an example of poor design.

But while many have called for a full product recall, The Wall Street Journal reported today that no such measure was planned.

Despite Apple's denials of a Bloomberg report today that Jobs knew of antenna problems in the early design phase and ignored them, the Journal cited a separate source as saying Apple engineers were aware of the risks as early as a year ago.

Jobs apparently preferred the faulty design - which has a metal antenna surrounding the outside of the device - because it yielded a lighter, thinner handset.

Ironically, Jobs singled out the unique antenna design on the iPhone 4 as one of its key selling points when he introduced the device.

Valleywag reports he escaped to a Hawaii resort with his family as the reception problems exploded.

Apple is expected finally to come clean about the problems in a snap press conference to be held on Friday in the US (3am on Saturday for Australians).

The company has just released a software update for all iPhone models that fixes an error in the way reception is displayed on the signal bar display, but this does not rectify the hardware antenna problems.

These can only be fixed using duct tape or by buying a "bumper" case, which wraps around the phone and prevents the reception problems occuring because it stops direct contact with the human hand.

Instead of issuing a full product recall - an expensive measure usually taken only after product safety issues - Apple may provide free or discounted cases.

Apple appears to be already quietly offering replacement phones to some customers who have complained, Gizmodo reported. Readers of the popular blog have said the replacement units appear to fix the problem.

Analysts say Apple has created a public relations headache for itself by appearing to dismiss or ignore the problem, allowing a minor issue to be turned into headline news. The company has been sued by several consumers over the matter.

Meanwhile, it is not clear whether a separate issue will be addressed, whereby users accidentally mute or hang up on callers because the phone's "proximity sensor" occasionally fails to shut off the screen when the device is held against the face.

The iPhone 4 is slated to be launched in Australia within the next two weeks. It is not clear if tomorrow's announcement will delay the release.

Source: smh.com.au[/UQOTE]
Old 17-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #182
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...ml?autostart=1

Quote:
Apple offers free cases, refunds to iPhone 4 owners
July 17, 2010 - 7:28AM

Apple will give free protective cases to buyers of its latest iPhone to alleviate the so-called "death grip" problem in which holding the phone with a bare hand can muffle the wireless signal.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs announced the giveaway on Friday during a news conference at its headquarters, even as the company denied the iPhone 4 has an antenna problem that needs fixing.

The more than 3 million people who have bought the iPhone 4 and new buyers through September 30 will all be eligible.

People who purchased the $US29 ($A32.80) "Bumper" cases will be refunded.

Jobs began the event by saying, "We're not perfect," but was quick to point out no mobile phone is perfect. He played a video showing competing smartphones, including a BlackBerry from Research in Motion, losing signal strength when held in certain ways.

Phones usually have an antenna inside the body.

In designing the iPhone 4, Apple took a gamble on a new design, using parts of the phone's outer casing as the antenna. That saved space inside the tightly packed body, but means covering a spot on the lower left edge of the case blocks wireless signal.

Consumer Reports magazine said covering the spot with a case or even a piece of duct tape alleviates the problem. It refused to give the iPhone 4 its "recommended" stamp of approval for this reason, and it had called on Apple on Monday to compensate buyers.

On Friday, in the company's first remarks following the magazine's report, Jobs said Apple was "stunned and upset and embarrassed".

Jobs said the iPhone 4's antenna issue isn't widespread. He said just over five out of every thousand users have complained to Apple's warranty service, and less than 2 per cent have returned the device.

"We're not feeling right now that we have a giant problem we need to fix," Jobs said. "This has been blown so out of proportion that it's incredible. I know it's fun to have a story, but it's less fun when you're on the other end of it."

Analysts have criticised Apple's first responses to reports of reception problems as dismissive.

Jobs apologised to buyers who had less than perfect experiences.

"We're going to do whatever it takes to make them happy and if we can't make them happy we're going to give them a full refund and say we're really sorry we inconvenienced you, and we're going to do better next time."

The refund applies even for those who have long-term contracts with AT&T Inc., the iPhone's exclusive US wireless carrier.

Jobs, a cancer survivor, also addressed a question about his health on Friday.

"I'm doing fine. I was even better earlier in the week (when) I was having a vacation in Hawaii, but I decided this was importantenough to come back for," he said. "I'm doing great."

AP
Old 18-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #183
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So when I was out Saturday night a met up with a group of old friends and one of them had an iPhone 4. He clearly showed me that if you do put your finger over the so called 'antennagate' is does drop a bar or two. But it does not drop a call, and if you hold it normally (we intentionally held it wrong to prove a point) the call is held perfectly, with no signal drop. No screen yellowing, the phone is amazing, and puts my iPhone 3GS to shame, not to mention my iPhone 3G. Call me an idiot, but I'll be in line on the 30th to get my new iPhone 4.

And true to what Steve Jobs said, my old RAZA looses signal if you hold your hand over the antenna, as do my other iPhones. Blown out of proportion, but this is good for Apple, this will make them deliver even better products and in the long run this will benefit us.
Old 19-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #184
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

yeah im already prepping the bank account for an iphone4 purchase on July 30. As dannyhilton has said, i've already read a few comments from aussies who've imported from the US and said they havent had any problems to the extreme case theyve had OS. And ill be buying a case for it anyways, to keep it protected from my lifestyles' rough nature.

I think the majority of the reception problems in the US have come about from the terrible overall mobile reception the country has.
Old 19-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #185
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
So when I was out Saturday night a met up with a group of old friends and one of them had an iPhone 4. He clearly showed me that if you do put your finger over the so called 'antennagate' is does drop a bar or two. But it does not drop a call, and if you hold it normally (we intentionally held it wrong to prove a point) the call is held perfectly, with no signal drop. No screen yellowing, the phone is amazing, and puts my iPhone 3GS to shame, not to mention my iPhone 3G. Call me an idiot, but I'll be in line on the 30th to get my new iPhone 4.

And true to what Steve Jobs said, my old RAZA looses signal if you hold your hand over the antenna, as do my other iPhones. Blown out of proportion, but this is good for Apple, this will make them deliver even better products and in the long run this will benefit us.
I guess for a company the size of Apple you would think that this would have been noticed and fixed.
That said i guess a problem is a problem, you may not see it as a big deal i guess but they obviously do and it might not be all that widespread but it is enough to warrant action by Apple.
I was going to wait and get an iPhone 4, but decided to get the 3Gs instead. If i were to be getting a new one id be waiting i wouldnt go out and buy the first (Im not a fan of the first of anything). Because id say that the problem will be fixed with later versions of the iPhone 4
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #186
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's true DJM. I just think Apple thought it wouldn't be a huge issue. But regardless, it could have been looked at and fixed had they wanted to I believe. Meh, iPhone 4 here I come. Apple and Ford fanboy. Hopefully the white model is out by the 30th, that thing is sexy!
Old 19-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #187
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's true DJM. I just think Apple thought it wouldn't be a huge issue. But regardless, it could have been looked at and fixed had they wanted to I believe. Meh, iPhone 4 here I come. Apple and Ford fanboy. Hopefully the white model is out by the 30th, that thing is sexy!
Yeah ill probably get one aswell, they look awesome. The 3GS still looks good to date
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 25-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #188
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So will anyone else be lining up to get their iPhone 4 on the 30th, or am I the only one that desperate! Anyone going to the Chermside Apple Store?
Old 25-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #189
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The white model is delayed to later in the year. There's a press release on the Apple website about it.

It's under a week to go. I wish they'd release plans and pricing!
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #190
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TUte
It's under a week to go. I wish they'd release plans and pricing!
I hear ya! My 3G contract finished with Optus July 11 and im still paying for it because im waiting to get a iPhone 4. Not staying with Optus though as their service and reception in my area in terrible

Was looking to get another white iPhone 4 (show less scratches and i hate using cases as it makes the slim phone too bulky). O well black it will have to be!

Just ordered front and back clear protector shields to protect the glass

Biggest mistake i made when i got my 3G was i should have gone 12 month contract

However there is doubt the iPhone 4 will be available on 12 month
Old 27-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #191
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plans from Telstra and Optus have been announced. Vodafone and 3 announce tomorrow morning:

http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelst...on-july-30.xml
http://personal.optus.com.au/web/oca...&site=personal

Retail prices for the handset outright from the Apple Store are:

iPhone 4 16GB - $859
iPhone 4 32GB - $999
Old 27-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #192
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not too bad IMO
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 27-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #193
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Optus looks the goods again but id rather pay telstra for my business for the network coverage. Optus always loses signal at my house (20 mins from the city!) and had nothing but troubles when trying to get help... always manage to get someone who barely speaks english.

Will wait till tomorrow and see what Vodafone and Three bring out before deciding..

Optus - Good prices, awesome data (1-2GB!), good $ worth of calls, pay extra per month for the phone as the plans are below $80 per month.
Telstra - Adverage prices, CRAP data plans (200mb-750mb!) and on adverage $50 less than Optus on $ worth of calls, iPhone 4 is $149 (16gb) upfront or $299 (32gb) upfront or free if the plan is $79-$99.

Dont mind paying $149 upfront for 16gb and having $400 worth of calls (hardly use my phone that much and 200mb data doesnt bother me as i only really use the phone on my home wifi anyway plus telstra has the better coverage.

Oh well heres hoping tomorrow!
Old 27-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #194
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Cancel that...

Looks like Three and Vodafone couldnt wait till tomorrow as Telstra and Optus released a day ahead...

Enjoy...

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/07/vo...4-pricing-too/

Looks like im off to Vodafone

Last edited by FG XR; 27-07-2010 at 09:28 PM.
FG XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #195
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Voda pricing is up:

I hoping I can get my hands on an iPhone on Thursday night from Telstra... I'll take 16gb, 32gb whatever I can get. Gonna line up for a couple of hours until the store opens at midnight. If they're sold out by the time I get in there then I'm gonna order one online before I leave the store (if they're for sale online at midnight as well!)

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #196
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
Voda pricing is up:

I hoping I can get my hands on an iPhone on Thursday night from Telstra... I'll take 16gb, 32gb whatever I can get. Gonna line up for a couple of hours until the store opens at midnight. If they're sold out by the time I get in there then I'm gonna order one online before I leave the store (if they're for sale online at midnight as well!)
Wouldnt bother lining up at midnight as only a few of the shops are open at that time, when the others open up on July 30 there will be plenty of stock.
Old 27-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #197
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm still buying outrit from the Apple Store. I've had plans with Telstra in the past and they were nothing but trouble. I know they have had a change of management, but even though Virgin Mobile doesn't have the greatest signal in the world (Be prepared for the Optus network to get more clogged with the 2GB they are offering on iPhones) at least I get treated like a human, plus the signal isn't that bad. Pre Paid it is for me!
Old 27-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #198
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
Wouldnt bother lining up at midnight as only a few of the shops are open at that time, when the others open up on July 30 there will be plenty of stock.
I'm near Doncaster which is one of the ones opening at midnight. Unfortunately I work during the week so going Friday morning won't work as the store near work assured me I won't have a chance even If I get there at their opening time of 6am :(

I'll try my luck at 12 and see how I go.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #199
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Without me going through all the posts of this thread, are these I phone 4's worth getting with all the problems with reception and screen discolouration that have been spread in the press.
I have reserved 2 of these with Optus on for my business, I have had a play with a mates 3gs and love it, and I am upgrading from a N95 which I hate.
Old 27-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #200
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a guy at Dominos on Tuesday who imported an iPhone 4 from the UK. It looked great. No screen yellowness, he held the photo to replicate 'antennagate' and it did drop a bar, that I won't deny, but my 3G and 3GS do the same if I hold my phone like an idiot. He literally had to gorilla grip the phone to make it loose one bar. No call drops, he was on Telstra. The phone was amazing, the screen sensational.

The media blew this out of proportion. A stupid place to put the antenna, yeah. But even with this 'issue' the phone is still surpassing expectations and breaking sales records.

Gotta give it to Apple, the kings of computers, tablets, phones, MP3 players and marketing!
Old 27-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #201
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, that was meant to say 'held the phone' and no photo. Wouldn't let me edit my post...
Old 28-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #202
HLC
Audi S3

hmmmm im gonna ring voda and see what my options are to get out of my rubbish 3G and into an iPhone 4...
Old 28-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #203
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Stupid question, but if you are on a contract (24mths with voda) do you need to wait to upgrade or can you do so? Im not paying for the phone either just the plan. Otherwise im gonna buy one outright and sell the 3GS
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 28-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #204
ROLLI
KEEPUP

I spoke to Optus and they said cos i am into my contract over 12 months they will give me 70-80 % off my pay out if i sign up with them again with the Iphone 4.
Old 28-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #205
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLI
I spoke to Optus and they said cos i am into my contract over 12 months they will give me 70-80 % off my pay out if i sign up with them again with the Iphone 4.
Yeah ive only had mine 3 months, so id say id be up for a bit so it really isnt worth it. Im gonna wait till my work bonus and buy one
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 28-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #206
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

screen yellowness is just the thermal paste crap still drying as apple were shipping these out to keep up with demand. This only stays around for a few days then disappears once dry. Has no effect on product at all. - Doubt we will see this in australia as the american craze of the first week is over and apple have got enough stock built up.

Reception in my opinion is over hyped by the media because its the most popular phone in the world. Only a few people have experienced this whilst others who have got replacement phones from apple because of the issue have since reported the reception issue has gone giving the impression apple has already fixed these devices so australia should get a good batch and the first million from american are the original batch which may likely to have these issues if any. A case also fixes this.

Looking forward to friday. A good friend of mine owns his own all phones franchise here in perth and has put aside for me a 32gb ip4

Going with the vodafone plan as im sick of optus services.
$49 cap, $450 worth of calls, 1.75gb of monthly data, free vodafone to vodafone to 3 mobile calls (unlimited, wife has vodafone) and $10 extra a month for the 32gb phone so $59 a month

Considering im on my original 3G plan (finished july 11 2010) of $79 a month, 750mb data, $500 call per month and $5 extra per month for 16gb 3G iPhone that is a good deal!

CHEAPER and more data plus more storage... (not that ill ever use 32gb but will be good when i go to sell the phone later on.
Old 28-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #207
HLC
Audi S3

i want to upgrade my 3G to a 4 on friday but with 10 months left on my 24 month contract i dontsee it happening... i think ill make some more calls to voda tomorrow and see what i can wrangle... im hoping to get it before i head to perth in 2 weeks.
Old 28-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #208
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Let us know how you go with the options Henri
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 28-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #209
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Gotta give it to Apple, the kings of computers, and marketing!

And i own an ipod...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #210
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going on the Telstra $49 Cap. After tonight, I'm fed up with the Optus/Virgin network. These new data plans Optus is offering will only slow the network further. Telstra appears to be improving, and even though they have peeved me off in the past, they have the best network, even if they only offer a 200mb data plan. Was going to buy outright, but it seems much cheaper to just pay the $299 for the 32GB at Telstra and go on their $49 Cap. Bring on 12:00am tomorrow morning!