Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #181
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
Took a bit of a backward step the last month, been having a couple a day, don't know why was doin well, felt great, anyway starting again today, It wasnt until the other day that I actually realized how good I was feeling to be off them. Started feeling like crap again.
try again

it is amazing how great you feel with out them

keep going back each time you attempt to quit you will last longer

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #182
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
Good luck mate.

I was worried that i wouldn't make it either but i am still smoke free.

Keep strong and remember to post here we will listen and help out where we can.

Jason
Thanks Jason - actually feeling quite good - to be honest I havent even thought about having one, so that is a great start. When I get home and look at my 4 year old, it will cement what I am doing.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #183
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidecrows02
Thanks Jason - actually feeling quite good - to be honest I havent even thought about having one, so that is a great start. When I get home and look at my 4 year old, it will cement what I am doing.
exactly why i gave up

the only diff is i have 3 kids

8 yr old girl and 3 and 5 yr old boys

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #184
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
Took a bit of a backward step the last month, been having a couple a day, don't know why was doin well, felt great, anyway starting again today, It wasnt until the other day that I actually realized how good I was feeling to be off them. Started feeling like crap again.
Never stop trying to stop it. Practice makes perfect. It wont be long and it will be 5 months for me. And I was hooked BAD. I hated it so much but kept on smoking. Now after many months off them it feels so GOOD! I can't get over how good it feels to be OVER IT! I wanna write a song about it!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #185
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Never stop trying to stop it. Practice makes perfect. It wont be long and it will be 5 months for me. And I was hooked BAD. I hated it so much but kept on smoking. Now after many months off them it feels so GOOD! I can't get over how good it feels to be OVER IT! I wanna write a song about it!

Cant wait to feel like this - out of curiosity how old, how long and how many?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #186
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Cant wait to feel like this - out of curiosity how old, how long and how many?
Mid 50's. Going since 20 years old at a rate of 15 -20 a day average.
Made about 6 attempts throughout the years to stop, best lasting 2 months about 3 years ago. Believe me I feel like it's a new way of life. Because it is.
There has never been a better time to quit. Price is way up. Opportunity and outlook is way down.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #187
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ok here we go - day 13 of champix and day 1 of no fags.
Good Luck. I too felt no different when day to to stop came. I still really feel no different. But I finished my full course of champix last week. I haven't had a smoke in 2 and half months. Just over. I have the odd day when I get a little stroppy, but all in all, am quite happy.

You will start feeling better soon. And it will get easier. As far as I am concerned, you have completed the hardest part. Making the decision to quit. And going through with it.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #188
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Good Luck. I too felt no different when day to to stop came. I still really feel no different. But I finished my full course of champix last week. I haven't had a smoke in 2 and half months. Just over. I have the odd day when I get a little stroppy, but all in all, am quite happy.

You will start feeling better soon. And it will get easier. As far as I am concerned, you have completed the hardest part. Making the decision to quit. And going through with it.
2 1/2 months - thats awesome, well done!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #189
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
2 1/2 months - thats awesome, well done!

Thanks Craig. So you should be on day 3 now, smoke free. How are you feeling and how is it going?

Ned
Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #190
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im now going onto 4 months smoke free and loving it

even though i cant do a hell of a lot ( back problem ) i feel like i could run a marathon

no cravings as such and when i go near a person smoking i still feel yuck and need to walk away

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK EVERYONE

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #191
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I've been a non-smoker now for about 3.5 years. The last years I was smoking about a pack a day.
(Loved that Champion Blue bakky like a brother FFS!!)
Here's how I did it, for those who may be interested..... I was 39 when I quit.

1. Joined a local community health "quit group". This involved a morning
group session once a week, one day a week, for 6 weeks. We all got
info, quitting aides (such as patches, gum etc). All for free and put
on by the NSW Health Service.

2. Managed to decrease the amount of smokes. Used the patches, gum
whatever. The aim is to keep the patch on, even if i had a smoke.

3. Aimed to put no pressure on myself whatsoever. No shame for failing.

4. Managed to stop. The first days are I N S A N E.
The turn around was to buy a pack of nico gum instead of some smokes.

5. Planned to stick with the gum, as it seemed to do the trick of nicotine
replacement quite well. The health group doctor mentioned the fact that using
gum instead of cigs, even as a permanent replacement, is still a better
health option than smoking. This seemed very logical to me.

6. I made a 1 year plan:
Strongest gum for 6 months, weaker gum for the next 6.
I just chewed those little buggers all the time, just as per smoking.

7. Followed the plan and jumped off the nico gums after 12 months
and onto regular gum.

8. Got soooooooooo sick of gum, and stopped that too.

All done, all good.
Feel heaps better.
Very very rarely think of smoke these days. If I do, it passes pretty quickly.

Hope these notes are useful to others.....
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #192
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Thanks Craig. So you should be on day 3 now, smoke free. How are you feeling and how is it going?

Ned
Yes day 3, and it's hard to explain how I feel - scatty maybe a good way to describe it - I am just feeling some really weird sensations, like its all surreal. Anyways will hang in there and see how I go..
Old 08-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #193
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes day 3, and it's hard to explain how I feel - scatty maybe a good way to describe it - I am just feeling some really weird sensations, like its all surreal. Anyways will hang in there and see how I go..
Mate you are doing good! Just think, you have achieved the point in your life where you have been smoke free for the first time in years. How good is that! You need to be prepared, don't look at it as I will see how I go rather what do need to do to keep going, see the difference?

First things first, make sure you recognise a craving before it brings you to a point of submission. This may be a small trigger like someone not putting the lid on the vegemite jar or someone eating the last choky biscuit but either way it is the withdrawal that is controlling this emotion and not the silly things happening around you. Once you can detect the onslaught of a craving then you need to put a blocker in place. I found that at work I would walk to the water cooler and get a drink even if I did not need it or my favourite was to count to what ever until I felt in control again. This could mean as much as minutes in the early days but would often be as little as 30 seconds.

Once the craving subsides it is like a temporary release but it certainly does not take much to trigger the next one though. If you learn to practice something like this then eventually after a few weeks and then months you will learn your own techniques to control the cravings.

I know some say it is ok to fall of the wagon from time to time (and of course it is if you do finally get there) but consider this, what do you want to be a smoker or a non-smoker? Cause even sneaking just one here and there would still rate you as a smoker. Best to develop ways to become a non-smoker. Still keep up the good work!

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #194
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
So it wasn't just me then?

The first week I felt like I was in some sort of dream land, exactally like this world, but not this one.

I can happily say that I am fast approaching the 2 month milestone. I thought I was further ahead until a friend reminded me of a *cough* hickup along the way.

So, smoke free, it has been almost 7 weeks, and for the first time last week, while drama was unfolding left right and centre, I couldn't have cared less about having a ciggy. The issue I have is the more free cash I seems to have, the heavier my right foot gets off the lights, knowing that I can now fill the tank up with smoke money
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #195
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
So it wasn't just me then?

The first week I felt like I was in some sort of dream land, exactally like this world, but not this one.

I can happily say that I am fast approaching the 2 month milestone. I thought I was further ahead until a friend reminded me of a *cough* hickup along the way.

So, smoke free, it has been almost 7 weeks, and for the first time last week, while drama was unfolding left right and centre, I couldn't have cared less about having a ciggy. The issue I have is the more free cash I seems to have, the heavier my right foot gets off the lights, knowing that I can now fill the tank up with smoke money
Yeehah! You've cracked it! Yep first week I was in a sort of trance! (Kinda nice feeling, a bit.) But yeah, when you can live through periods of crap & drama without resorting to a smoke, well that's a pass with distinction in my view! And again yes, the money! While it wasn't the main priority for me, boy you sure notice how much residual cash there now is!
Old 15-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #196
munchkin

great work everyone
I am so proud of Jason it is not funny he come home from the doctors one day and had the champix and not looked back
Hope it all works as well for all you people as it did for Jason
Helen
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #197
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I can't rep him enough for the support he has provided to not only myself (a complete stranger from the sunshine state, thousands of k's away) but also to everyone embarking on this long and difficult journey. Here's to you mate!

Congrats on making it this far!

Update: I managed a 40 minute cardio session at the gym at long last, on top of that, I also did a 50 minute weights session in the same night. Before that, cardio was limited to a maximum of 15mins before I was clutching at my sides and my lungs were on fire. Kinda proud
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 15-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #198
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

There's only three things in this world that should ever be smoked. Tyres, pot, and bacon.
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #199
max
LWBforME

Just about to reach the six month mark. History has been made. How's everyone else who quit going?
Old 24-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #200
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see everyone else is doing well also. I too am still of the smokes, I just can't remember how long its been. I think I may have quit in May??? Been about 4 months or so.

Haven't really been bothered by it, but I have been getting a bit cranky lately, and been chewing a bit too. Also weighing just over the 100kg mark.

Other than that, all good.
Old 24-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #201
bungarra

Coming up on 2 years and 9 months, best thing I have ever done!!
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #202
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Fantastic. Should have done it years ago.

Hope everyone else is still off them as well. 5 months for me.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #203
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Nearly 3 months now, getting a bit fat but apart from that all good. Have randomly got major cravings that come out of nowhere which is a right pain, however I can sit around smokers and not want them at all.

Drinking seems to bring on the cravings in force, but the minute I smell one I get turned off.
Old 25-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #204
max
LWBforME

Good to see success and commitment. Yeah those random cravings even at the three month mark are surprising. I had them. Just goes to show the grip the habit had. But we should congratulate ourselves on the willpower we have exercised. It's a great accomplishment.
Old 25-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #205
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Same to you max, just a random question, does anyone get the dreams?

For the past month I will randomly get a dream where I'm happily chuffing away on a ciggy, then suddenly realise it, wake up and go "DAMN I had one...." and then realise it was a dream.
Old 25-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #206
max
LWBforME

Quote:

For the past month I will randomly get a dream where I'm happily chuffing away on a ciggy, then suddenly realise it, wake up and go "DAMN I had one...." and then realise it was a dream.
YES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #207
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra
Coming up on 2 years and 9 months, best thing I have ever done!!
Very well done! you are pretty much there. Don't ever forget the anniversary. They are like money, it feels good when you keep adding to them.

Bud Bud.
Old 25-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #208
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ha ha yes, 20+ years later and I still do too! Sometimes I wake up disappointed in myself for starting again, only to realise that I was in a dream.

Bud Bud.
Old 25-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #209
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QUIT SMOKING! So far one week down.. Not getting cravings unless i'm having a few beers

Smoked for about 4 years straight and decided at the Bseries annual show in Parkes to give it up once i got back.. Smoked too much and i'm sure i didn't taste how good the Mountain Mash that Meg had made really was haha. So i've gone pretty much cold turkey - although we had a big party on Saturday night where i kinda lapsed and had a couple - but then again i'd usually smoke a whole 25 pack that night and smoking/drinking goes hand in hand...

Pretty proud of myself, just wish i wasn't sick so i could really enjoy discovering how good things really taste hahaha

Last edited by Fev; 25-10-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #210
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no dreams here but unfortunately i have had a small relapse

i hope that it is only a small thing as i dont want to start again full time

this has been 20 smokes in the last week or so

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]