Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: What AFL team do you follow/support?
Adelaide 21 4.11%
Brisbane 25 4.89%
Carlton 34 6.65%
Collingwood 43 8.41%
Essendon 69 13.50%
Fremantle 16 3.13%
Geelong 32 6.26%
Hawthorn 25 4.89%
Melbourne 18 3.52%
North Melbourne 17 3.33%
Port Adelaide 8 1.57%
Richmond 32 6.26%
St. Kilda 16 3.13%
Sydney 32 6.26%
West Coast 45 8.81%
Western Bulldogs 11 2.15%
I don't follow/don't care about/hate AFL 67 13.11%
Voters: 511. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #151
Falcon Freak
Banned

:

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #152
krt10
eskyman

I don't follow/don't care about/hate AFL

football is just an excuse for men to shower together
krt10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #153
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Nice Avatar FF
Old 21-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #154
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
North Queensland Cowboys.. ! ! ! ! ! !

( no such thing as AFL here, , its like asking someone in Melbourne what they think of the storm )

AC/DC
Ask away and i will answer it not all Victorians are dumb as the rest when it comes to sports. We don't get the tag of best sporting state for nothing.
I could tell you many things. Not just about the Storm also.
Did you know that Timana TAHU is Melbourne born?. Or Storm winger Jake Webster the kiwi international Melbourne born also.
You had a couple of ex storm player ruining around your way also, Mitchell sargent and you did have paul rauhihi also.

And i'm a
WESTERN BULLDOGS MEMBER SINCE BIRTH BORN A BULLDOG.
Old 21-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #155
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Ask away and i will answer it not all Victorians are dumb as the rest when it comes to sports. We don't get the tag of best sporting state for nothing.
I don't think people from nsw and qld can appreciate how it is possible for melbournians to be able to appreciate more than one sport. Coming from the sports capital of Australia myself, i am frustrated not being able to watch my beloved Tigers every week live, but make up for it by tuning into fox footy and avoiding sports discussion outside of people i know. I guess if the best they can come up with is gayfl, then they'll still be giggling about it when the NRL is dead and Union is the only form of Rugby left lingering as AFL and Soccer take over.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #156
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

damm it. i chose brisbane cause i go for the broncos but didn't see the don't care/hate AFL option. it should of been at the top.
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #157
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

how will AFL take over? it is not an international sport (as far as i know). i have to say it does a good job of promoting the sport up here in QLD, but i think the state of origin will always keep league above afl in Queensland/nsw.
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #158
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

go the eagles

stupid bombers and their thuggery tactics still couldnt derail the almighty Coasters!
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #159
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Pete
how will AFL take over? it is not an international sport (as far as i know). i have to say it does a good job of promoting the sport up here in QLD, but i think the state of origin will always keep league above afl in Queensland/nsw.
Just seems the NRL clubs in Sydney are struggling. AFL generally gets a better crowd to their games and while they need to shift some clubs out of Melbourne to sustain a better competition, I can't see the NRL spreading to a National competition the same as AFL is.

Unfortunately i think the best part of NRL is state of origin although what a ridiculous concept that if you were born in Qld you can't play for them if your first NRL team you played for was a sydney one (am i correct?? guys at work told me this is how it works).

All I'm hoping for is TV stations to broadcast footy regardless of states live. Is ridiculous that they won't show AFL live because NRL is on but they'll stick on some C grade movie that couldn't even compete with snow. If I don't want to watch it I won't, and i will do my whingeing by changing the channel, not thinking the world is ending and making everybody else suffer my pain as well.

Just my 2 cents

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #160
Mrs Coyote
Phantom XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
Unfortunately i think the best part of NRL is state of origin although what a ridiculous concept that if you were born in Qld you can't play for them if your first NRL team you played for was a sydney one (am i correct?? guys at work told me this is how it works).

Just my 2 cents
This is almost correct. It is what state you play your first senior game in. So you could play for North Tamworth in the senior grade be born in QLD and you would play for NSW.
Mrs Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #161
Falcon_Power_06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
go the eagles

stupid bombers and their thuggery tactics still couldnt derail the almighty Coasters!

I agree with ya there 100% they tryed to push us around but we stood up to em and should have won by more if the umpires didnt kick 4 goals with 50 meter penalities in the 3rd quarter

there was a good amount of eagles supporters at the game to which was good to see.

GO EAGLES
Falcon_Power_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #162
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
I don't think people from nsw and qld can appreciate how it is possible for melbournians to be able to appreciate more than one sport. Coming from the sports capital of Australia myself, i am frustrated not being able to watch my beloved Tigers every week live, but make up for it by tuning into fox footy and avoiding sports discussion outside of people i know. I guess if the best they can come up with is gayfl, then they'll still be giggling about it when the NRL is dead and Union is the only form of Rugby left lingering as AFL and Soccer take over.
Yes thats spot on. It must be hard not seeing your fav team live especially after knocking off the unbeatable crows.
There is a ex Footscray player i forgot his name but he was just on fox footy he was paralysed in a game at western oval before my time, I think he wouldn't see it as gayafl.
But thank god for foxfooty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Pete
There all in @ VIC and SA, Almost all there in WA, Getting a foot into Canberra now and Darwin NT, Same with Tassie, And with Sydney and Brisbane they only need about 20% to think about AFL to succeed.
You might be shocked to know there are many AFL leauges around the world. Some of the big countrys to, The U.S and U.K have there own established leauges. And the teams are not only made up of ex pats.
there is also a international cup game held here every year made up of only that countrys players. Have a look here.
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=intleagues
Old 22-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #163
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Yes thats spot on. It must be hard not seeing your fav team live especially after knocking off the unbeatable crows.
There is a ex Footscray player i forgot his name but he was just on fox footy he was paralysed in a game at western oval before my time, I think he wouldn't see it as gayafl.
But thank god for foxfooty.

There all in @ VIC and SA, Almost all there in WA, Getting a foot into Canberra now and Darwin NT, Same with Tassie, And with Sydney and Brisbane they only need about 20% to think about AFL to succeed.
You might be shocked to know there are many AFL leauges around the world. Some of the big countrys to, The U.S and U.K have there own established leauges. And the teams are not only made up of ex pats.
there is also a international cup game held here every year made up of only that countrys players. Have a look here.
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=intleagues
As much as us League supporters fear the possible take-over of AFL, im much more worried about Soccer (Football to all you die-hard fans out there). Sure AFL has a few comps overseas, who cares, soccer is alot more dominant. And I dont think AFL is going to challenge soccer anytime soon, which brings us back to Australia.

Rugby League, as much as I love it, will never be as popular as AFL. AFl, all credit to it, has done what the NBA did in the early 90's, made its self a highly commercial, popular and marketable game. But unfortuantely, soccer has BILLIONS of supporters across the globe, which compared to the 5 odd million who support AFL, is a game which still carries momenteum. The USA, which has a sports market similar to Australia, in that they play sports which most of the world dont care about, is slowly finding that soccer is taking over in the popularity stakes. And Australia will be the same, right now we can argue about League v AFL. In 20-30 years, we will be arguing about the Queensland Roar v Melbourne Victory. Its inevitable. :evilsasmo
Old 23-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #164
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Power_06
I agree with ya there 100% they tryed to push us around but we stood up to em and should have won by more if the umpires didnt kick 4 goals with 50 meter penalities in the 3rd quarter

there was a good amount of eagles supporters at the game to which was good to see.

GO EAGLES
Yeah you guys got a fair bit of fans over here in Melb, I've found for me you always seem to know an Eagles when your in Melbourne.

Freo gets alright crowds here but no where as good as the Eagles tho.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #165
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF, What else?
As much as us League supporters fear the possible take-over of AFL, im much more worried about Soccer (Football to all you die-hard fans out there). Sure AFL has a few comps overseas, who cares, soccer is alot more dominant. And I dont think AFL is going to challenge soccer anytime soon, which brings us back to Australia.

Rugby League, as much as I love it, will never be as popular as AFL. AFl, all credit to it, has done what the NBA did in the early 90's, made its self a highly commercial, popular and marketable game. But unfortuantely, soccer has BILLIONS of supporters across the globe, which compared to the 5 odd million who support AFL, is a game which still carries momenteum. The USA, which has a sports market similar to Australia, in that they play sports which most of the world dont care about, is slowly finding that soccer is taking over in the popularity stakes. And Australia will be the same, right now we can argue about League v AFL. In 20-30 years, we will be arguing about the Queensland Roar v Melbourne Victory. Its inevitable. :evilsasmo
I don't think anyone is all that worried about soccer in the AFL. As a league they will never get great heights, But when the Aussies play international soccer just about 60% of the country watches on including myself. But many like me don't pay attention to the local games.
All Aussies care about soccer when that green and gold guernsey gets put on thats it.
It's to much of a boring game to sit and watch and wait for maybe 1 goal if lucky.
The internationals get pretty fired up and good.
Bit like ARU local leagues suck. Go international everyone is interested.
Old 23-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #166
EF, What else?
A Bloke

All soccer needs is a major cultural change, soccer is already the most popular sport with kids, all they need now is to find a way to keep them in the market. Trust me, Im like most people, I will only watch Australia play, and the Italian and English domestic comps. But seriously, where can AFL go? And more of a concern to me, where can Rugby League go? Even in England, League is a small part of the market.

The AFL may be winning over the northern states by pumping millions of dollars into the markets, but soccer is a HUGE market, and there is alot more money. All the FFA have to do is make a profitable prestigos league, and then watch the rise of soccer
Old 23-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #167
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All soccer needs is a major cultural change
Not going to happen.
Quote:
All the FFA have to do is make a profitable prestigos league, and then watch the rise of soccer
Their biggest problem. There are so many leagues offering SO much more money with games that get watched any player that wants a truly succesful career needs to go overseas. It's even easier to get into the national team playing in a respected league.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #168
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
All soccer needs is a major cultural change, soccer is already the most popular sport with kids, all they need now is to find a way to keep them in the market. Trust me, Im like most people, I will only watch Australia play, and the Italian and English domestic comps. But seriously, where can AFL go? And more of a concern to me, where can Rugby League go? Even in England, League is a small part of the market.

The AFL may be winning over the northern states by pumping millions of dollars into the markets, but soccer is a HUGE market, and there is alot more money. All the FFA have to do is make a profitable prestigos league, and then watch the rise of soccer
AFL is still on the rise, Crowds are massive money is flowing they have major backing with TV rights many sponsors. When it comes to soccer it's very limited, the best players aren't here the best players will never be here, No Australian team can offer a international player what he could earn in a B league overseas.
Kids are not allowed to play football at schools anymore because they might be injured and the schools don't wont to be liable for that.
It's very frustrating to many in OZ the way the soccer players roll over and cry bloody murder i have been shot I'm out for 2 years ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That can turn many Aussies off watching the game more at lower levels.
About 6 years ago i watched the premier league highlights on SBS. Only lasted a little time i enjoyed getting into the good stuff more with highlights. I still call myself a Sunderland follower even though i have lost touch with them. Last time i was keeping a eye on them Kevin Phillips was kicking goals out of his you know what but that was some time ago and he has moved on.
Soccer won't take over in the heartland of NRL and AFL. Which is NRL-NSW-QLD. AFL-VIC-SA-WA.
Australia is a multicultural country but you find many soccer people go to watch AFL because it's very involving fast and exciting to see, And like all Aussies we love a good exciting sport to watch.

The AFL has already got many players into AFL from other country's there next wish is to have these leagues compete maybe with them in the future and they believe they are not that far off it. Might not be in some peoples time but it's getting bigger.
Might take some time but don't forget the AFL was only VFL played only in Victoria not a very long time ago.
Old 23-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #169
EF, What else?
A Bloke

I'm just gonna bite my tongue here. I'll be good
Old 24-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #170
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Don't bite it why?
Old 24-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #171
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
i go for collingwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
The Bombers are the team to follow...

C'mon Lloydy, we know you will be a fantastic skipper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
if he actually plays the whole season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
At least the Bomber side have good roll models, unlike your woman beating "Ashlee Sampi" and your drunk driving "Ben Cousins".

Think about that....
What have you been smoking mate? :party3:
Old 24-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #172
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
......soccer is already the most popular sport.....
http://www.ausport.gov.au/info/topic...s.asp#fulltext

FF
Old 25-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #173
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Directions, Im not going ploughing through a million sites looking for stats. And the only page that I did find said that soccer was a higher participation activity then AFL. http://www.ausport.gov.au/scorsresea.../ERASS2004.pdf

And thats for participants over 15, which I myself found personally suprising. I was arguing about kids. If there are that many people over 15 playing soccer, its in a lot better shape then I originally thought.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #174
Falcon Freak
Banned

That is something I never expected to see - Essendon are on track to win the wooden spoon this year. When was the last time Essendon finished on the bottom of the ladder?

FF
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #175
my gt
Extreme Machine

carn the kangas!
my gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #176
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by my gt
carn the kangas!
You haven't voted for the kangas. Get your vote in as there are only 8 of us so far.

FF
Old 03-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #177
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
That is something I never expected to see - Essendon are on track to win the wooden spoon this year. When was the last time Essendon finished on the bottom of the ladder?

FF

1933 IIRC
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #178
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Looks like Geelong are going along with pre season cup winner tradition.

54 points up in the 3rd quarter and lose? Terrible
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #179
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Yeah unbelievable match that was.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #180
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisis
i am with u. R they still playing afl??? What would possess any elite sports person 2 want 2 play a sport where the only time u have the chance to represent your country is playing some backwards Irishmen
Why do idiots bother posting in a thread where the subject is about AFL.

God dam i wish I had Mods rights in the Bar.

Can a mod or admin do a clean up of the AFL bashers in this thread please
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post