Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #151
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Agreed. While the Falcon Ute may be more expensive, it's much more car-like and can handle anything you can throw at it. Holden are in a position where their utes are pretty much show ponies, which I have no objection to, but Ford have the ability to truly market the ute as a genuine workhorse. It doesn't effect the sedan resale as much, and also gets the ute back into that arena. Very good point mate. Perhaps a diesel option here would be of benefit, I'm not so sure Ford could put the EcoBoost in it and market it as a work horse.
While Ford and Holden both sell similar numbers annually,
Holden sells far more V8s than Ford's combined V8/T6 numbers.
You can check that out for yourself in Russell's technical resources section.

It's those SS and SS-V Ute sales that add value and revenue to Holden.
If only Ford could go with them....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #152
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

Fords ute styling has a lot to do with that.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #153
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Im laughing out loud at people thinking the FG should have a restyle already.
Can't see why they wouldn't make a subtle styling change; such as BA1-BA2, BA-BF or BF1 to BF2. Even the BF3 Wagon got a chrome piece on the grille! :

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #154
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
Re the Territory, do Ford employ crackpots in their marketing research department? I cannot see how the Territory will gain sales when the TDV6 is released. They've missed the boat by not a country mile - perhaps a continent would be closer to the mark. They'll be lucky to revive sales to it's halcyon days levels.
Considering the SUV market is 50% petrol & 50% Disel, you're dreaming if you dont thing sales will increase when TDV6 comes. Add a new shape & inside & Ford will have a winner again!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #155
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have seen the breakdown of this data, and not for a second would I doubt it. I cannot remember the last time I saw an Omega ute, and just about every Holden ute I see is an SS-V. While Fords new V8 will help, they really can't touch this market with the product they offer, at least in their current specifcatiin levels. This is why I've suggested Ford chase fleet sales with the R6, get a couple of XT into the mix and then keep the rest as is. This way Ford are getting some more market share while not erroding the sedans resale. The ute market can handle having a fleet hack, as those XR ute sales will remain strong enough, plus people expect utes to be work horses.

I'm just throwing a few ideas around. I by no means am an expert here, just my opinion as an outsider looking in. The production process is far too complicated for me to attempt to understand. But should Ford be able to ramp up some volume, it would seem logical to use the ute as a fleet hack to try to shield the sedans (although we all know the XR6 is becoming quite a fleet frendly vehicle).

I guess after numerous posts all I'm hoping for is for Ford to be viable, if that means smaller production and more private, or targeting the fleets, or a combination, so be it. The longer the Falcon is here the richer our lives will be.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #156
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

delete
Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #157
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Then when they do change it, its wrong they should have done this and that. You cant please everyone.
Not wrong, just sick of poeple saying, they want all these changes when other makes & models dont get these update as often as we get with Falcon!!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #158
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Alrighty I think it's time everyone on here storms down to broady and kick these no good marketing morons to the cleaners!!! After being apart of this forum for a while now I have noticed that there seems to be ALOT of people on here that could run and organise ford the way it should be. Where did they hire the current research department!! They are so fustrating I want ford to be loved but these morons are just sitting on there hands all day aaahh maybe we can source some of those genuises from apple Inc over to run it properly. Anyway that's just me speaking my mind oh and I to think that ford should show there belief in the brillant product they have produced and up the warranty to 5 years

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #159
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

I really do think that 'sports ute' market wants IRS.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #160
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
I guess after numerous posts all I'm hoping for is for Ford to be viable, if that means smaller production and more private, or targeting the fleets, or a combination, so be it. The longer the Falcon is here the richer our lives will be.
Agree completely.

Retrotech thread
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #161
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxckevo
Anyway that's just me speaking my mind oh and I to think that ford should show there belief in the brillant product they have produced and up the warranty to 5 years
What a great way to celebrate 50 years of Falcons with a new Ford 5 year warranty!

Retrotech thread
Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #162
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i wonder if their are going to be colour changes !! the colours are becoming a bit old
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #163
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
i wonder if their are going to be colour changes !! the colours are becoming a bit old
That's the reason the Commodore stays 'fresh'.

Of all the new SIDI SV6s I've seen, >50% would be the two new colours, Poison Ivy and Wildfire, i think it is.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #164
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Good point, Deco28, they've done well with the new colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxckevo
Alrighty I think it's time everyone on here storms down to broady and kick these no good marketing morons to the cleaners!!! After being apart of this forum for a while now I have noticed that there seems to be ALOT of people on here that could run and organise ford the way it should be. Where did they hire the current research department!! They are so fustrating I want ford to be loved but these morons are just sitting on there hands all day aaahh maybe we can source some of those genuises from apple Inc over to run it properly. Anyway that's just me speaking my mind oh and I to think that ford should show there belief in the brillant product they have produced and up the warranty to 5 years
Too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Has anyone figured out why the G6ET has gone up so much?
Maybe it was too cheap to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
thats not entirely true
sidi 3.6
sidi 3.0
AFM 6.0
sportswagon!!
Granted all except the 3.6 and wagon were a step backwords :
lol... and you can add AFM 6.0, too.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #165
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I really do think that 'sports ute' market wants IRS.
Not necessarily. The current ute rear end is just fine on smooth roads it is only when roads turns crappy that the rear end struggles. Also on the smooth stuff the wider track of the ute sees the rear end break away later and smoother than the sedan (we had both a turbo sedan and ute and it was a big difference how much later the rear started to step out on the ute compared to the sedan). Fitting 19s to the BF utes though makes them much worse in the rear, the FGs don't seem to have the same problem on the 19s.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #166
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford's major problem in ute sales, in my humble opinion, is that Commodore's are cool and Ford's aren't........ I personally love the VY and VZ SS ute's, if I won Tatts I would almost certainly buy one. And yet I am a Ford supporter. Nothing against BA/BF utes, mechanically they are superior, but everytime I see a VY/VZ ute with nice HSV wheels and decent exhaust, i damn near snap my neck to get a glimpse.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #167
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
That's the reason the Commodore stays 'fresh'.

Of all the new SIDI SV6s I've seen, >50% would be the two new colours, Poison Ivy and Wildfire, i think it is.
personally i LOVE the poison ivy colour !! ford should introduce new colours

however it was ford was the company that indroduced the new colours, Holden up to the VY keept all the same colours well it seemed liked it any way
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #168
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Build one XT in LHD, fit it with 5.0 V8, Ute bench seat and Column auto,
paint it up in California Highway Patrol colours and send her across to LA.

See what comes back.....
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #169
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

See what comes back.....
And get the Aussie press to tell everyone we're building US police cars rather then more correctly submitting a vehicle for tendering contracts with no orders for anything yet...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #170
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
And get the Aussie press to tell everyone we're building US police cars rather then more correctly submitting a vehicle for tendering contracts with no orders for anything yet...
But, but, we could have a second shift like Holden and, and....

Wow, deja vu......
Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #171
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Call me a pessimist if you must, but I cannot see the American police wanting to buy an Australian vehicle.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #172
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

See what comes back.....

You have described a bloody good police car! Just an aside, on the American car forums I frequent the most positive thing said about Ford's new police Tauras is the column auto, apparently that is almost a necessity on a American police car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #173
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Call me a pessimist if you must, but I cannot see the American police wanting to buy an Australian vehicle.
No, you're a realist. Let's be honest, as long as the US economy is butt dragging and jobs are on the line, anything "Made in USA" will mean local jobs saved. If Statesman's export sales don't pick up I wonder if it can be kept.

And as Brazen stated, a column shift auto allows for better placement of all the electronic gizmo's these cars have to carry.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #174
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to throw out the bait on the 5.0 XT, in another reality it would be a shoe in as a cop car...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #175
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

See what comes back.....
Or use the turbo I6 with Territory AWD system, running on straight LPG

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #176
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
No, you're a realist. Let's be honest, as long as the US economy is butt dragging and jobs are on the line, anything "Made in USA" will mean local jobs saved. If Statesman's export sales don't pick up I wonder if it can be kept.
Probably not built locally, but they're already exported as CKD to China and South Korea. I would hedge a bet that Holden would likely import the Statesman from China should an Australian production version no longer be commercially viable.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #177
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Probably not built locally, but they're already exported as CKD to China and South Korea. I would hedge a bet that Holden would likely import the Statesman from China should an Australian production version no longer be commercially viable.
Not sure about South Korea but I thought that the Chinese
Buick Park Avenue zetas were stamped and built there....

Poor old Caprice is going the same way Fairlane did, it's only saving grace
is good sales in China as Buick Park Avenue and the hope of a US cop car...
Old 13-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #178
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
If Statesman's export sales don't pick up I wonder if it can be kept.
Quote:
Poor old Caprice is going the same way Fairlane did, it's only saving grace is good sales in China as Buick Park Avenue and the hope of a US cop car...
Word has it the Statesman model is going to be dropped here later this year leaving Caprice as the only LWB model.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #179
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:

See what comes back.....
Make it a paddy wagon and see what happens. Reading some of the comments on the Caprice PPV and Taurus they bang on about how much equipment they need and to separate the prisoners from the driver as they are often violent.... Seems odd they have never tried a paddy wagon.
Old 13-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #180
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I doubt it, the Statesman in China is a very high-end Merc and BMW competitor almost hand-assembled. Over here the Statesman is built alongside tens of thousands Commodores and middle east exports. Holden is in a much much better position to continue building the Statesman and supply the US market than China.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post