Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #151
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I noticed at a Ford dealer today that brand new FG XR6s are being built with dedicated LPG. I know thats probably old news, but Ford should market it more. I know with no traction control and only a 4spd auto it's probably not the best at the moment. But with the potential this would have to the private buyer, should give Ford incentive to start running at least the 5spd with the gas.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #152
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I noticed at a Ford dealer today that brand new FG XR6s are being built with dedicated LPG. I know thats probably old news, but Ford should market it more. I know with no traction control and only a 4spd auto it's probably not the best at the moment. But with the potential this would have to the private buyer, should give Ford incentive to start running at least the 5spd with the gas.
Ye they should be running the 5'er to make it even more competitive/economical than it is now......but they're not....Why ar'nt they....who the bloody hell knows??? Prolly trying to use up old trans stock..... The present 'old style' gas system is contracted until next year also... We're waiting Ford Au!!!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #153
quirdan

Quote:
Yes, the dedicated gas XR6 sedans were introduced in Q4 2009. The only things they miss out on are the 17" alloys, along with the 18/19 wheels and XR Luxury Pack. All the safety features of the petrol XR6/XT/G6 are present in the respective gas variants of the XR6/XT/G6 built after April 2009.

This was not the case at launch as the XR6 gas was only available in the ute, and the XT/G6 gas missed out on safety features.

They never actively advertised these changes, sadly. IMHO, the gas model's suffered a tarnished reputation prior to launch.

Perhaps with liquid injection next year and a new gearbox (ZF in gas anyone!?) they will heavily advertise the gas cars again. Ford announced that the LI LPG will match the power of the current petrol engine. Looking forward to the final specifications. Should be an amazingly powerful, fuel efficient and cheap car to run, particularly for its size.
quirdan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #154
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirdan
Yes, the dedicated gas XR6 sedans were introduced in Q4 2009. The only things they miss out on are the 17" alloys, along with the 18/19 wheels and XR Luxury Pack. All the safety features of the petrol XR6/XT/G6 are present in the respective gas variants of the XR6/XT/G6 built after April 2009.
Spot on.
Quote:
Perhaps with liquid injection next year and a new gearbox (ZF in gas anyone!?) they will heavily advertise the gas cars again. Ford announced that the LI LPG will match the power of the current petrol engine. Looking forward to the final specifications. Should be an amazingly powerful, fuel efficient and cheap car to run, particularly for its size.
Don't see that the LiLPG getting the ZF 6spd. It's a cost issue with LPG aimed mainly at fleets. Yes, the LiLPG will be powerful/torquey too. Rumour i heard, is that they have had to actually hold back- detune - the power/torque! I think 12L/100km, 200kW/420Nm is a real possibility.

PS When this combination comes out, don't expect Ford to hold back this time. The gloves are out! Burela is the man.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #155
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Spot on.

Rumour i heard, is that they have had to actually hold back- detune - the power/torque! I think 12L/100km, 200kW/420Nm is a real possibility.

PS When this combination comes out, don't expect Ford to hold back this time. The gloves are out! Burela is the man.
Due to the higher octane rating of LPG this is true. In fact, if they don't de-tune the engine it can start to make the petrol I6 seem a little bit........slow? lol
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #156
quirdan

Quote:
All the safety features of the petrol XR6/XT/G6 are present in the respective gas variants of the XR6/XT/G6 built after April 2009.
Just checked on the utes which I wasn't sure about it. They're also covered.

However, in the base ute some safety features are options, but it still stands that there are no longer any distinctions between the safety features available, as opposed to when the vehicle range was launched (EBA unavailable, 3 channel ABS instead of 4ch...).
quirdan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #157
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

More so relates to Territory - Ford approached a very popular parenting blog site and offered 5 popular 'mummy bloggers', Territories to live with for a month, then write their reports.

Mummy Ford Bloggers
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #158
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
There's been some encouraging signs from Ford's Marketing Team lately. They're really pushing the Falcon’s fuel economy gains with respect to the competition.

Will it make a difference? What strategy is required in the current market?

http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/lar...campaign-15009

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=62409
"Fords" marketing has improved ten fold,however please be aware that not all of the marketing strategies where directly created by Ford.
Please see link below:

and have a look at their clients.
JWT Ford marketing
Old 19-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #159
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb
"Fords" marketing has improved ten fold,however please be aware that not all of the marketing strategies where directly created by Ford.
Please see link below:

and have a look at their clients.
JWT Ford marketing
All the car companies use external agencies, nothing earth shattering about that.

Old 19-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #160
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
More so relates to Territory - Ford approached a very popular parenting blog site and offered 5 popular 'mummy bloggers', Territories to live with for a month, then write their reports.

Mummy Ford Bloggers
I had a look at that site. Well, certainly not for me!!! But the first lady, Kimani, seems wrapt in the Terri.

Good move by Ford to do this. Emulating the Fiesta Blogging going on in the US. Gained them heaps of airtime / webspace etc.

This is very targeted marketing. Right at the core demographic.

Retrotech thread
Old 21-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #161
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
All the car companies use external agencies, nothing earth shattering about that.
Its been a while 4Vman.

I did not imply it was "earth shattering",I merely stated it for those who where not aware,and there are a substantial amount who are unaware of that fact,Of course .
Old 23-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #162
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Ford have had TC and DSC on E Gas models since earlier this year.

6 speed auto E Gas. Very good chance it will happen. It is possible to now use the ZF with the LI LPG as its all computer controlled, unlike the current E Gas engines which have no fuel control as its essentially a carby, which makes it uncompatible with ZF, and possibly even the 5 speed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #163
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Ford's Camry Hybrid fighter

They're up to it again. First it was the Fiesta Econetic up against the Prius and now they're pitting the Mondeo Diesel against the Camry Hybrid. It's great to see Ford gunning for No. 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD BLACKBURN April 13, 2010

Ford Mondeo Diesel.

Ford will introduce a new fuel-sipping diesel version of the Mondeo to tackle Toyota’s new Camry hybrid.

The new engine was unveiled last month at the Geneva motor show and Ford Australia has since confirmed it will arrive in a couple of months.

“It will use less fuel than the Camry hybrid,” Ford spokeswoman Sinead McAlary says.

The introduction of the fuel miser, which is expected to use roughly 5.6 litres of fuel per 100km compared to the Camry’s 6.0L/100km, is the latest salvo in Ford’s quest to wrestle the fuel efficiency high ground from Toyota.

The company is currently running a series of television advertisements that highlight, in not-so-subtle terms, the fact that its Econetic Fiesta uses less fuel than the world’s most popular hybrid, the Toyota Prius.

The new 2.0-litre diesel engine for the Mondeo is available in three guises, with power outputs of 85kW, 103kW and 120kW. The current engine puts out 103kW and uses 5.7L/100km. The new diesel is likely to be matched to Ford’s new dual-clutch six-speed transmission, which is already available on the local version of the smaller Focus diesel.

Overseas versions of the Mondeo will also get a version of the 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine that is due to debut on Ford’s Falcon next year. But the local Mondeo isn’t expected to get the turbo until after it’s launched in the Falcon.

Ford Australia announced last week it would fit a six-speed automatic transmission as standard on the six-cylinder Falcon, dropping its claimed fuel consumption to 9.9 litres per 100km.

The changes are part of a global fuel efficiency push by Ford. It plans to eventually have a direct injection, turbocharged engine available in 80 per cent of its global nameplates and it expects to be producing 1.5 million of the engines each year by 2013.

The company is also looking to introduce stop-start engine technology on 20 per cent of its cars by 2014, while it has committed to reducing vehicle weight by up to 350kg as it works towards meeting strict emission laws due to come into effect in the US in 2016 and Europe in 2015.

Ford’s vice president of powertrain engineering, Barb Samardzich, says the company is also working on hybrid and plug-in electric vehicles, but believes that more efficient conventional petrol engines will deliver more immediate benefits for the environment.

“We are focused on sustainable technology solutions that can be used not for hundreds or thousands of cars, but for millions of cars, because that’s how Ford will truly make a difference,” she says.
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0413-s6b3.html
Old 13-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #164
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

my 2c.....

Ford needs a marketing dept revamp AND FAST.

Moving fingers... that was the most embarrasing ad ever! makes me ashamed to like the blue oval. Now what happened to the guys in the XR8 ute on the salt lake???? That was a classic!

I remember seeing on the ls1 forums the v8 holden guys talking about the great v8 boss sound (ba xr8 ute ad flooring it into the salt lake as the original salt lake ad cancelled due to speeding etc.... correct me if im wrong here?)

Now you can see how Holdens marketing team does so well. They tell it like it is and arent afraid to name names. Sure they can lie a little (SIDI 900kms) but just look at your ads on tv lately... all ive seen is holden ads (sidi, holdens owners grant, cruze etc) and all ive seen from ford is one ad. Seriously i watch alot of tv during the day and night (shift worker) and there are far more holden ads ont tv than ford.

And remember the documentary about the BILLION DOLLAR BABY?? Geez im sure if Ford did something similar with the coyote / miami there would be people interested regardless what brand they follow.

Maybe look into creating more concepts and prototypes? e.g coupe 60, torana etc? Sure dont have to make them but it gets people talking! Couldnt care if it were a GTHO prototype with a v8 supercar shell. Doesnt have to be made just get people talking about the brand more. HELL EVEN GET THE BLUE BLOOD FLOWING AGAIN.

I just hope when ford releases the new v8 s/c ford marketing grow some balls and take some new approach to a different ball game.

:
Old 13-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #165
prydey
Rob

i think its a good idea that ford are pushing the 'non falcon' models as evenin 2010, with the falcon being quite a sophisticated and economical car, there are still a very large percentage of people that view the falcon as a large gas guzzling 1950's chariot only bought by bogans.

maybe, just maybe, if people open there eyes to the other models, they may also be tempted to view the falcon in a different light, if ever they make their way into a showroom.

having said that, falcon doesn't have to be the big seller it used to be. if ford can increase sales of its euro brands, it can afford to live with a decreased popularity on the falcon.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #166
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
Moving fingers... that was the most embarrasing ad ever! makes me ashamed to like the blue oval.
Don't worry that guys already been, "promoted".
Old 13-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #167
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well now, Fiesta Diesel, Focus Diesel, Mondeo Diesel - all providing compelling economy arguments vs the Hybrid competition.

So tell me again - why is the Falcon being engineered for the 2.0 Litre Ecoboost and Territory for Diesel - when developing both for Diesel would have reduced development costs considerably and produced an arguably better result?

Why no Diesel for Falcon? WTF? Aside from the tanks, surely with all this work done on the Territory, all that's required is bolting in the engine to the same transmission, on just about the same engine mounts, put in a 'Diesel' instrument cluster from the Territory and it's all done.

Right?

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 13-04-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #168
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Fingers crossed that when the terry has a diesel that a falcon version wouldn't be far off. Problem is it actually makes sense so it probably wont happen.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #169
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Territory LiLPG makes sense too. I know, I have one from the aftermarket world.

Lukeyson
Old 13-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #170
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Ah dont need to convince me of that, my AU has recently been put on a SVI system and even thats awesome.

I hate the word, but there is so much potential around broady its sickening.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #171
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Why no Diesel for Falcon? WTF? Aside from the tanks, surely with all this work done on the Territory, all that's required is bolting in the engine to the same transmission, on just about the same engine mounts, put in a 'Diesel' instrument cluster from the Territory and it's all done.

Right?

Lukeyson
Well, it would need to be ADR and ANCAP certified for one, plus the Falcon-specific engineering and testing required. But you would think that the Falcon could 'piggy back' onto the diesel Territory program to shortcut some of it.

The diesel could be particularly useful for the ute to give ute sales to tradies a bit of a kick along too.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #172
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
They're up to it again. First it was the Fiesta Econetic up against the Prius and now they're pitting the Mondeo Diesel against the Camry Hybrid. It's great to see Ford gunning for No. 1.

Mazda 6 diesel already uses less fuel than the Camry hybrid so there is nothing really revolutionary about the Mondeo diesel.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #173
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Mazda 6 diesel already uses less fuel than the Camry hybrid so there is nothing really revolutionary about the Mondeo diesel.
But its good marketing by Ford.
Old 13-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #174
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It is great to see Ford flexing some muscle. Pointedly pointing out the key benefits of owning the Mondeo. hopefully the printed and TV adverts will keep the message strong.

“It will use less fuel than the Camry hybrid,” Ford spokeswoman Sinead McAlary says.

My ideal advert would be "Pictures of white fridges with wheels and a hybrid sticker on them." Voice-over. "Boring!" Then talking up being a European designed and built Ford Mondeo diesel. ie "Who's most likely to offer a European family car which is classy, good looking and more economical. For less?" Ford of course! If Ford want to use the idea they can pay me!

Retrotech thread
Old 13-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #175
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
But its good marketing by Ford.
Exactly. It's good marketing.

Retrotech thread
Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #176
mitch

I dont know if this is Ford marketing or just the dealers tactic at taking it up to daewoo motors, uh sorry I mean general motors holden.

I suspect it is the dealer having the confidence that their product is better than their main competitors product.

I dont know what anyone elses opinion is, but i would like to see Ford and their dealers sell all their vehicles with this sort of confidence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xr6 ad.jpg (81.7 KB, 160 views)
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #177
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Its a good ad. The XR is a great car to drive, they should do it with the territory as well as that is a better vehicle then the craptiva.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #178
buggo
[BU66OS]

I commend that dealer on his advert. Ford should follow his lead and roll out a series of ad's to target each of the Holden ad's with the same idea behind it.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #179
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FORD SHOULD have ads comparing the dunnydore with the FG and say "we know which is best" "come test drive..you decide" again Ford marketing is behind!!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #180
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holden are already doing those style ads... this printed ad looks to be in retaliation to that..

holden are running ads saying to test drive their cars and the competition and buy the better car...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post