Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #151
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 
Default Re: Test drove an XR6T and SS

I have. Both Stock.

Turbo is quicker and as a manual driver the cog changing is easier and has a shorter action. Both confirmed by the SS owner.
Different power delivery and sound, the V8 is good on song and obviously better but my ute is louder at idle in the cabin. I prefer the instant torque of the V8 but would miss the missile get up and go once the turbo has filled its lungs.

If the OP wants the Holden then go for it Mate, Fords were idiots for dropping the V8. Forget emissions surely somebody realised that the 5.4 Boss engine was going to be to much to comply and organise a non-blown Coyote to continue the XR8. Even if it sucked at least it would have been something. They now have to step up with everything that the VE offers and more when it comes to kit with the FG update and market it as the superior car.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 14-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #152
stang65
FPRJET

Why .... I will tell you why, just as has been done in the territory vs Jeep thread.
Except in this case the op has purchased the SS. It appears there are some people who have gone back to get a trade in on their Ford and weren`t happy on the trade in price so have vowed to bag Ford, then their are others that are closet Holden fans that come here to masquerade as Ford fans. These are the obvious say anything about the GM product and they start an argument. But they are happy to go on about Fords shortcomings, bad breaks,ball joints or whatever else... most of these people don`t even drive a current model Ford and wouldn`t have a clue....

These Ford Vs othermakes threads are just grounds to bag Ford and shouldn`t even be started.

And Grumpyold Holden financial woes has been covered several times on this forum use the search and see the light.
Old 14-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #153
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Why .... I will tell you why, just as has been done in the territory vs Jeep thread.
Except in this case the op has purchased the SS. It appears there are some people who have gone back to get a trade in on their Ford and weren`t happy on the trade in price so have vowed to bag Ford, then their are others that are closet Holden fans that come here to masquerade as Ford fans. These are the obvious say anything about the GM product and they start an argument. But they are happy to go on about Fords shortcomings, bad breaks,ball joints or whatever else... most of these people don`t even drive a current model Ford and wouldn`t have a clue....

These Ford Vs othermakes threads are just grounds to bag Ford and shouldn`t even be started.

And Grumpyold Holden financial woes has been covered several times on this forum use the search and see the light.
So is it just your left or right eye you are using?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 14-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #154
stang65
FPRJET

and here we have whats known as mr provoker.
Old 14-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #155
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any chance we can get back on topic? O.P., where are you at with your purchase of the SS?
Old 14-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #156
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

...... Could always wait until 2014 and by a RHD mustang? Things are changing and ford au will not be putting the cash in for small niche vehicles and FPV can play with these markets and if Holden want to take up the slack they can and those who want to purchase these types of cars can do as they please.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #157
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
and here we have whats known as mr provoker.
LOL, seriously grow up a little. Fair enough you love the brand but to be so one eyed that you carry on as you have reminds me of the school yard "mine is better than yours just because" rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Any chance we can get back on topic? O.P., where are you at with your purchase of the SS?
And will it be a manual Voodoo wagon?
Old 14-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #158
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
...... Could always wait until 2014 and by a lhd mustang? Things are changing and ford au will not be putting the cash in for small niche vehicles and FPV can play with these markets and if Holden want to take up the slack they can and those who want to purchase these types of cars can do as they please.
I presume that's a typo Dave? RHD would be a little handier over here
Old 14-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #159
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I presume that's a typo Dave? RHD would be a little handier over here
Fixed it . The world of ford is changing very quickly so many will have to get used to it.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 14-06-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Another can of worms sorry :)
Old 14-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #160
stang65
FPRJET

RG your not worth it.. Back on topic the reality is if you like the SS buy it. Ford have a more powerul V8 waiting in the GS you can`t compare a V8 against a turbo, if you prefer V8`s whats the point.

The Gs will run rings around the SS in performance, like anything you get what you pay for, there is no Xr8 and the only reason people are screaming for an Xr8 is because they wont pay the extra for the GS

Questions say they brought out the Xr8 at the GS price point and increased the GS and the GT by $5000 people would go that the XR8 is too expensive and nobody would buy it.

I think Ford are a lot smarter than all these people who say they want an XR8 but don`t put their money where there mouth is..

Too the op there are still current model Xr8`s out there have you driven one yet? you mentioned earlier you might.
Old 14-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #161
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

To those asking, the purchase hasn't occurred yet and in fact will likely be delayed for a little while as things have come up.

I have not yet driven an FG XR8. When the time comes I'll drive it and have another drive of the SS. Having said that I feel more comfortable in the cabin of the SS than the FG so the XR8 would have to be a bloody good drive to get it over the line.

Look past the badges guys, we have so many great cars out there. We've never had it so good.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 14-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #162
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
To those asking, the purchase hasn't occurred yet and in fact will likely be delayed for a little while as things have come up.

I have not yet driven an FG XR8. When the time comes I'll drive it and have another drive of the SS. Having said that I feel more comfortable in the cabin of the SS than the FG so the XR8 would have to be a bloody good drive to get it over the line.

Look past the badges guys, we have so many great cars out there. We've never had it so good.
True words.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 14-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #163
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
What is your v8?
if it is a ba v8 with the 4spd auto i beg to differ..

my 6 spd Zf is punchy from the lights.. not at all doughy or laggy.. will tootle around the subburbs happily in 3rd gear.. no probs with fast launches in 2nd gear!...
turbo whine/whistle... dose/blow off valve.. and the shove in the back doesnt get boring..
BF MK11 XR6 T
i had an ls1 the first time i compared them. Have since driven a bf xr6t and a vz 6 litre clubsport straight after each other and i still prefer the v8.
The xr6t is fast but you have to be going hard to get the power. My sister was in the xr6t and was scared so maybe im more used to powerful cars. I didn't feel confident taking small gaps in the turbo. With the v8 the power and torque was always there.
Old 14-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #164
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Why is there so much negativity towards the OPs choice of car?

I am curies to know how many of you have driven both the current VE and FG back to back like the OP has?
I've owned both.

VE Clubsport and currently own an F6.

F6 is quicker and the acceleration is brutal on boost, Clubsport felt more special (though, I am a V8 man) and enjoyed driving it more.

I also prefer the handbrake in the VE.
Old 14-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #165
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have tried to read this thread but to be honest, after page 3 I am over it.

Lets get one thing straight, every car buyer buys a particular car because it offers the features (be it performance, luxury or load carrying, whatever) that they need, at a price that in their opinion represents value. Obviously the OP has found that situation in a Holden and to be honest, who can blame him because right now it is the better option for what HE wants. Now yes that may change and the GS may be a better option in 12 months time, but he is buying a car now, not in 12 months time.

Now my big gripe with this thread so far, the gross generalisations that all the people that are disappointed with the current Ford offerings are all either full of talk and no buying or EB lovers. The simple fact is I can think of a number of people on this forum whom live in QLD that together have contributed over $1m in turnover to Ford and FPV, a few of us have bought from other marques, one has spent more than 2 years trying to get the rust fixed in his FG (of which he has 2). I personally have contributed near on $200k (perhaps more) to Ford/FPV turnover, how much more of a chance do I have to give them before I am entitled to say enough is enough? I know I have spent many times what those that criticise me have.

Although I enjoyed the vehicles for what they were, the warts they had have turned me away, especially considering the issues that have been experienced in the FG range so far. I just fail to see how the fact that people have moved away from Ford to other manufacturers is entirely the fault of those people, surely Ford have a case to answer too, not that you would think so with some of the attitudes here.

My point is, we have a right to our opinions and the right to express them without being lumped in some grossly stereotyped category, as do the other side. You can be a Ford lover and enthusiast but drive something else if circumstances dictate this, it is personal choice.

Now please do not think that I am a Ford hater, I am not in any way and I would love to buy another blue oval but many things have to change before I will again. In the mean time I will look at the new model Ford each time I buy (every 3-4 years), my default attitude will be "I want a Ford". The product and service will still have to win my business on their own merits, not some blind loyalty for a brand (and dealers) that in the past have shown me no loyalty at all on more than a dozen times.

Hopefully one day all the planets will align and I will have a blue oval (or FPV symbol) on the steering wheel in front of me, the personalised plates are in the shed ready to go (all $2500 worth).

To the OP, good luck with the car hunting and don't forget the pics when you find it.

Last edited by geckoGT; 14-06-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 14-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #166
Supercharged

Quote:

I think you are correct, I you rubbished a Ford product a couple of years ago in this forum they would come down on you like a ton of bricks but now there are some that simply do it all the time and bounce off each other.
Old 14-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #167
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
I think you are correct, I you rubbished a Ford product a couple of years ago in this forum they would come down on you like a ton of bricks but now there are some that simply do it all the time and bounce off each other.

What does that tell you?
Old 14-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #168
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldb
It really amazes me that seemingly intelligent people can post utter crap like this and still expect others to take them seriously.
Last year Holden made $112.4m profit, and they sure as hell didn't do it by selling at a loss. Just in case your basic maths needs a bit of a touch-up - if you are selling items at a loss, the more you sell of them, the bigger the loss you make....
Pretty ordinary contribution.

Holden themselves have admitted to selling certain models at a loss.

The tone being addressed was why can't Ford offer an affordable V8. Some call it predatory pricing others stupidity but in Oct 2010 a global directive under one Ford was issued to maximise profits on all models in all markets. The question was asked is this at the expense of market share> Yes.

I didn't check the numbers to see if the claimed drop did in fact occur, but supposedly it did.
I think we are done here in terms of useful contributions
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Closed Thread