Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #151
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The drug "Ice"

There's 3 shows on this (broader) topic, screening back-to-back on ABC2 tomorrow (Monday) night, repeating again next Sunday night.
They might be worth watching

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/lo...meth/#episode/

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/ag...ot-3/#episode/

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/ru...very/#episode/
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #152
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you choose to take the drugs you really only have yourself to blame, for me it really is that simple, people who smoke know the risks, people who drink know the risks, people who take recreational drugs know the risks, the education on these risks are sown into our heads from an early age.
I know of so many people who take drugs and the effects it has on them, many of whom I have tried to help, addicition can be a terrible thing especially when it becomes that persons daily routine.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #153
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247 View Post
I see a lot of blame on drugs in this thread and not alot on people. Alot of stories start out with pot and it seems people blame it for leading people down an ugly road.

Thats total bull****. i know better than most on here about it.

I smoked pot everyday for about 5 years i held down a full time job didnt get arrested once. Hell on the weekend id go out and party take some pills couple of lines.

I never tempted to touch ice or herion or go a near a needle even when i was around people like that. Hell i loved getting stoned i still do.

But i don't do that anymore because i choose not to. I can say i was addicted but i chose to stop and i did. Same as i done with Cigarettes recently.

I believe it's all in the mind and its will power. I think anyone can quit or avoid temptation they just got to be strong enough, some people are just too weak to do it.

I have no sympathy for drug addicts only for those whose life they ruin in the process
Some drugs are very addictive & it is the withdrawal process that hooks you, hard to break free, I'm sure there would be some paramedics on this forum who would certainly confirm this, I would say Ice is definitely one of them.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #154
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Heres a link, The ice age: 12-year-olds are slaves -

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...id=mailsignout

A nasty situation brewing, NSW high school kids & their families need all the help they can get.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #155
Focusfan

I think we all can agree that there is a wide range of reasons why some get onto hard drugs.
I also think there are a lot of blind fredies out there that know or have seen people doing deals
and also know family members doing the deals but keep quiet. Some with reason like fear of the offender.
Think it is about time some or all of these broke their silence and dob them in.
Can be done anonymously and this would have at least some impact. Staying quiet only puts more lives in danger.
These quiet ones are then an accessory to the damage.
Users need support, dealers need prison or worse. No one selling means no users.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #156
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw news today about kids as young as 13 becoming addicted to ice.....SOMETHING drastic needs to be done.....I dont know what but I know this drug is ruining many lives and families.....PLEASE SOMEONE do something.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #157
Focusfan

Declare ice dealers as targets. No charges for anyone bashing the crap out of them and turning them in. Add a reward for good measure.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #158
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247 View Post
Thats total bull****. i know better than most on here about it.

I smoked pot everyday for about 5 years
...Hardcore Bro!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #159
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusfan View Post
Users need support, dealers need prison or worse. No one selling means no users.
The US is the perfect example of the criminal approach being an abject failure.

Prisons are clogging and draining capital at an horrendous rate, offenders come out as better criminals, billions spent in the war against drugs barely keeps pace with the problem, the majority of offender imprisoned for dealing are desperate users and not the kingpins who continue to find new users to ply their trade and criminal activity and violence within the community is increasing due to the desperate nature of the addicts.

It’s time to start treating all types of drugs, legal and illegal as an illness in society and start thinking outside the square.

The billions spent to catch and gaol with little overall success could be better used to educate and support and heavens forbid, maybe remove the restrictions to allow better control of the problem.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #160
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Declare ice dealers as targets. No charges for anyone bashing the crap out of them and turning them in. Add a reward for good measure.
Quote:
Declare ice users as targets. No charges for anyone bashing the crap out of them and turning them in. Add a reward for good measure.
Fixed
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #161
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Fixed
I agree, it's the users that are buying the stuff, without the end user there is no market.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #162
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/tv/deta...18&fta=1&fox=0
On tonight............
Old 24-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #163
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The drugs aren't the problem, the people are the problem.
drug addicts, and that includes alcoholics, need help. Would locking up alcoholics cure them? People don't fall into that trap because their life is peachy. Plenty of people still drink responsibly and have a normal life, same applies to a lot of illicit drugs.
Better education would go a long way in curbing abuse of drugs, not condescending demonising crap, just the facts alone go a lot further.
Passing this problem onto the legal system just doesn't work, we have 70 years of evidence for this. The bill for this practice is passed onto all of use, the tax payers, and the money could be put to better uses. It is time to pass the ball over to the health department. Educate and regulate. Tobacco use and binge drinking are declining, back what has been shown to work.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #164
superyob
Banned

I'll say it again. Hang drug dealers. Problem solved...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #165
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the history of human life, capital punishment has never deterred anything, ever, ever, ever.

In the context of the drug problem, the huge profits at play means there will always be dealers to create new addicts and feed the existing ones.

The fear of death will not change that as the big players are living in protection out of reach of most western law enforcement.

There will always be people desperate enough or even forced to mule drugs for syndicates, that’s the strength of the criminal fortunes that are made from selling the stuff.

Drug trafficking controls governments in some parts of the world and remains basically out of reach of the west.

It’s better to take the control of drugs from the criminal element and give it to governments under health initiatives and even though that will not cure addicts, it will at least mean crime and all the violence and destruction that goes hand in hand with it will be greatly reduced.

Up until recently I lived in New York and Connecticut for most of my adult working life and I can tell you what you see in Australia today is just the start of what was being reported in the US 10 years ago and if the US is any indication, it’s going to get a lot worse.

It is becoming epidemic in the USA, China, South Africa, Canada, South East Asia and Europe.

Thinking law enforcement is going to fix this problem is the solution of the Flat Earthers.
5 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #166
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I'll say it again. Hang drug dealers. Problem solved...
Yep. A tougher stance. This has been proven to work, oh wait... No history shows this doesn't achieve squat. But keep that attitude, the politicians will love you for it.
Old 25-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #167
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
In the history of human life, capital punishment has never deterred anything, ever, ever, ever.

In the context of the drug problem, the huge profits at play means there will always be dealers to create new addicts and feed the existing ones.

The fear of death will not change that as the big players are living in protection out of reach of most western law enforcement.

There will always be people desperate enough or even forced to mule drugs for syndicates, that’s the strength of the criminal fortunes that are made from selling the stuff.

Drug trafficking controls governments in some parts of the world and remains basically out of reach of the west.

It’s better to take the control of drugs from the criminal element and give it to governments under health initiatives and even though that will not cure addicts, it will at least mean crime and all the violence and destruction that goes hand in hand with it will be greatly reduced.

Up until recently I lived in New York and Connecticut for most of my adult working life and I can tell you what you see in Australia today is just the start of what was being reported in the US 10 years ago and if the US is any indication, it’s going to get a lot worse.

It is becoming epidemic in the USA, China, South Africa, Canada, South East Asia and Europe.

Thinking law enforcement is going to fix this problem is the solution of the Flat Earthers.
Finally some common sense.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #168
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Fixed
Have you ever come across an Icie pole in a rage? Good luck trying to "bash" them! I've seen upwards of 6 coppers try.... And fail.
Ibanezteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #169
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The war on drugs was lost a long time ago, America being the best example of failure. The government needs to look at Portugal's experiment, it legalised most drugs ten years ago. You are allowed to have ten days supply of your drug of choice. Anything more and you are treated as a dealer and go to court for prosecution. You can be made to go to counselling for drug addiction and this has seen a 40% drop in addicts and dramatic drop in *** infection. It has cost them millions in counselling and rehab centres but this is offset with the savings on gaoling the estimated 100,000 people in a similar time frame. I personally have never been to fussed by drugs after losing friends, cousins to drugs and still have a cousin permanently in the a mental ward due to substance abuse and my brother is almost at that stage as well. You can only hope you have done your best raising our kids and they don't end up going with the wrong influences.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #170
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Realistically, there needs to be more education about drugs. At my high school when I was in grade 12, the Principal didn't want people talking to us about safely using drugs / protection at schoolies because she thought it would be a bad influence. Wtf? Let people know what to do, people will do drugs, and drink to excess regardless of legal consequences.
Obviously this is a very big topic, but flat out telling people to not do drugs DOESN'T WORK.
Old 25-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #171
superyob
Banned

Many on this forum say that law enforcement does not work. They may have a valid point to some degree, but legalising dangerous drugs still produces addicts, whack jobs, mental issues, violent behaviour, broken families and countless other issues. So does this mean that because we can't stop certain behaviours, we need to consider legalising it? I'm sure the morally bankrupt can't wait for their particular proclivity to be made legal.

Some say education is the key. We live in a society where education is available everywhere, more than ever, yet there are more addicts, suicides and depression/mental health issues than ever. Look at the road toll amongst young male drivers. Education is not working in a society that does not value it.

LoudPipes wrote 'In the history of human life, capital punishment has never deterred anything, ever, ever, ever.' And he is completely correct. But it has been far better than open slather that allows anything to flourish unchecked.

I repeat: Hang drug dealers...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #172
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can fully understand what you are saying, legalising drugs may never impact on reducing the rates of addiction, similarly nor has criminalising it been successful in deterring their use.

It’s time to look at other solutions like firstly removing the criminal element and then address the social and health implications.

Humans have always had a predilection for mind altering and/or stimulating substances and I would guess to say always will.

Many drugs that are illegal today once weren’t and their impact then was not any worse than the impact they have today. In fact with the criminal element that’s involved now, I’d say overall they now have a far worse impact on society as a whole.

Methamphetamine in its earliest forms has been around since the late 1800, early 1900 and has been use for a variety of reasons, one being to reduce fatigue in soldiers doing WWII. Drugs are not new, not since the day someone discovered a leaf or a mushy that could give the taker a feeling of bliss and drugs will continue to form a part of the human existence.

How society deals with it is the big question.

Redirecting the cash flow used to unsuccessfully control illegal substances and get addictions out of the courts and into medical facilities is a good start and if that fails then nuke the planet and start again.

I don’t want to be seen as supporting drug taking, I’ve never taken any illegal drugs, I’ve never smoked cigarettes and I can’t remember how many years ago since I was the least bit tipsy let alone drunk on alcohol.

What I do support is helping addicts in a positive way and addressing a human failing with a new approach as the old one has failed.

It's just my opinion, I don't expect others to agree with it.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #173
Itsme
Experienced Member

Yep I can see it now, legalise drugs & your kids can be educated as they watch people shoot up/take it.
I really don't know the answer to tackling the drug issues we have but I don't think legalising drugs is the way to go.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #174
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Can you provide references to prove this?

I would beg to differ it would curb premeditated crimes in the taking of human life, it would be an interesting result if a referendum was held in this country on reintroduction of capital punishment.

To be quite honest I don't think drug dealers crimes would ever fall under capital punishment at all
Old 25-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #175
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Legalizing doesn't stop the black market, look at alcohol. At least 2-3 times a week I get people trying to sell me moonshine out the back of a truck as I'm sure everyone else does.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #176
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Legalizing doesn't stop the black market, look at alcohol. At least 2-3 times a week I get people trying to sell me moonshine out the back of a truck as I'm sure everyone else does.
Prohibition just makes it even bigger though
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #177
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Yep I can see it now, legalise drugs & your kids can be educated as they watch people shoot up/take it.
I really don't know the answer to tackling the drug issues we have but I don't think legalising drugs is the way to go.

Mate, it's all going on under the current system. People are just suggesting it be handled in a different manner as the status quo has been shown ineffective. The countries with the balls to try things differently have shown positive results from doing so, being ignorant to change just means more of the same.
Old 25-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #178
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I used the wrong wording in my previous post. Portugal has decriminalised , not legalised drugs. Sorry. It doesn't stop prosecuting dealers, it does however mean that addicts have better access to help. Executing dealers will achieve nothing except provide a job opening for another dealer. Drug education in schools also needs to encompass teaching kids safe ways to take drugs. You have to be very gullible to think "just say no" works. If and when they decide to experiment, they need to be taught to try them in a safe environment, smaller quantities at first and teach them what danger signs to look for if someone is overdosing.
Old 25-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #179
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
If and when they decide to experiment, they need to be taught to try them in a safe environment, smaller quantities at first and teach them what danger signs to look for if someone is overdosing.
Im all for educating the kids on the effects of Alcohol/Tobacco/Drugs, but giving them small doses of LSD or Ice, cant see too many parents giving that one the green light.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #180
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I'm not advocating giving them the drugs, just making sure they are safe when they do. It would be better to take half an ecstasy at a friends house with water and help available compared to a whole tablet in the middle of a paddock at a rave in 35 degree heat.