Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #151
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
While I'm all for some decisions being referred to a 3rd umpire (particularly run-outs and stumpings), but LBW isn't one of them.

Snicko has been shown to be somewhat unreliable at times, Hawkeye I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw it but the main problem being that the technology takes far too long in those instances to reach a decision.

The current umpiring process is simple. If the umpire has some doubt then it's automatically not out. It's never a case of being.. 'well, that's close enough so I may as well give it'.

Cricket is a slow enough game as it is, and while it should be a goal to get decisions correct all the time, it's just not feasable.
Why not?? With all the latest technology, it is possible to put any decision beyond reasonable doubt.
Snicko, heatspot and all the new slo-mo replays are used by the commentary team to microscope every decision by the umpires.
If the umpires have sole control of the decisions, why are they the only ones who can't use this technology to help them??
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #152
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
But they didn't win the game.

Can only recall the odd occassion where one of the losing team's players got MOM... only because his individual effort far surpassed that of any player on the winning side. Haddin's innings won Australia the game has to trump Elliot's innings that gave NZ a chance at winning the game.
Yes I know but the only reason I would have given it to Elliot was because he took 2 wickets as well as making 115. So I would say that he was the man of the match.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #153
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
Why not?? With all the latest technology, it is possible to put any decision beyond reasonable doubt.
Perhaps you should re-read my post again. I clearly pointed out why not.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #154
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yes I know but the only reason I would have given it to Elliot was because he took 2 wickets as well as making 115. So I would say that he was the man of the match.
So you wouldn't consider that the man of the match should be the individual that largely contributed to their teams win (except in extrodinary circumstances)?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #155
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Perhaps you should re-read my post again. I clearly pointed out why not.
I did. Your wrong
Old 09-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #156
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
So you wouldn't consider that the man of the match should be the individual that largely contributed to their teams win (except in extrodinary circumstances)?
To me man of the match is the best player (doesn't matter on what side) on the day. This is why I believe Elliot should have got the award. So no I would disagree with you on the way it should be judged.
Mind you I am not taking away from Haddins achievement as it was a good knock by him.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #157
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
I did. Your wrong
My wrong what?

Technology isn't used to judge LBW decisions and at the moment there are no plans to do so, but I'm wrong.

Noticed how long it takes to get a hotspot or snicko on the broadcast? Several minutes. Each.

Ever watched cricket played in other countries? Most of them do not currently employ this technology.

Have you noticed how many close run-out and stumping decisions are referred to the 3rd umpire? Virtually all of them.

Ever watched a match played in India? Noticed how many close LBW decisions that players appeal for?

Judging a run-out takes a couple of minutes and there are are fraction of those appeals compared to LBW appeals. Anything close would be referred to the 3rd umpire just as run-outs are due to the fact that the umpire would be crucified if he gave an appeal out that didn't satisfy the laws and visa versa.

If the speed of the resources are increased immesurably and they're constant over all test playing nations *then* you would have a case.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #158
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
To me man of the match is the best player (doesn't matter on what side) on the day. This is why I believe Elliot should have got the award. So no I would disagree with you on the way it should be judged.
Mind you I am not taking away from Haddins achievement as it was a good knock by him.
I didn't really give my opinion as to how it should be chosen, I'm just suggesting from watching cricket for 35 years as to the criteria that MoM's are typically chosen.

Only a handful of MoM's have been given to the player of the losing side and only in cases where his performance was far and above that of any other player on the field.

In this instance, I don't believe Elliot should have gotten it over Haddin but had the Aussie team's scoresheet had the runmakers spread their runs more evenly and Elliot gave NZ a shot at a win then I would have sided with you in giving Elliot the MoM award.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #159
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the NZ team are starting to show some real class in their fielding...the first one dayer against Australia was an example of that....Unseen since the days of Jeremy Coney/Jeff Crowe in the mid 80's.

With good batsmen like Elliott and McCullum and a great captain in Vettori I can see this NZ side being a contender for the No 1 position in 50 over cricket real soon especially as Australia are now in a position of having to rebuild since losing Warne, Hayden & McGrath.

So in answer to the thread question...The golden era is over although the fact NZ are on the improve probably overshadows it a bit
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #160
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My wrong what?

Technology isn't used to judge LBW decisions and at the moment there are no plans to do so, but I'm wrong.

Noticed how long it takes to get a hotspot or snicko on the broadcast? Several minutes. Each.

Ever watched cricket played in other countries? Most of them do not currently employ this technology.

Have you noticed how many close run-out and stumping decisions are referred to the 3rd umpire? Virtually all of them.

Ever watched a match played in India? Noticed how many close LBW decisions that players appeal for?

Judging a run-out takes a couple of minutes and there are are fraction of those appeals compared to LBW appeals. Anything close would be referred to the 3rd umpire just as run-outs are due to the fact that the umpire would be crucified if he gave an appeal out that didn't satisfy the laws and visa versa.

If the speed of the resources are increased immesurably and they're constant over all test playing nations *then* you would have a case.
*I do have a case.* Technology was used to decide on LBWs
It was the end of last year when the referral system was used in a test match between the windies and NZ and currently in the test between the Windies and the poms. All forms of available technology were used for any decision that was referred.
Lots of LBWs were overturned thanks to hawkeye and while everyone may not agree with it, you can't argue with it.

*You* can try tho....

Last edited by cuz; 09-02-2009 at 03:30 PM.
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #161
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
*I do have a case.* Technology was used to decide on LBWs
It was the end of last year when the referral system was used in a test match between the windies and NZ and currently in the test between the Windies and the poms. All forms of available technology were used for any decision that was referred.
Lots of LBWs were overturned thanks to hawkeye and while everyone may not agree with it, you can't argue with it.

*You* can try tho....
...and nothing coming from the ICC since the trial...

Even the executive producer of Nine (which develop most of this technology for broadcast use only) suggest that the only reasonally foolproof technology is hotspot... and even then I've seen situations where video replays couldn't pick up the right angle to confirm a hotspot.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #162
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
you could be right in your judgement - however if haddin did not make his runs, would australia have won. elliot did what he did and new zealand did not win
it can be looked at, that haddin's effort won the match while elliot's did not
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #163
prydey
Rob

wasn't m.clarke MoM in game 2, which australia lost.

regarding the lbw decisions being left up to the umpire, i would agree but... there does seem to be more and more incidences these days where the replay will show a bit of bat involved first. sometimes embarressingly so for the umpire. this fact alone says that somethng needs to be done in this area, whether the umps are wired up to a 3rd/4th ump or a challenge system but its happening far to regularly now.

mccullum in perth, fergusson and taylor in sydney etc.

maybe they aren't becoming more common. maybe the scrutiny is becoming more. either way, the fans want to see the right decisions so even though the purists and cricket officials don't want to slow the games down anymore than they have to, they will eventually be forced to look at these sort of issues. there is a lot of money/betting invloved these days too which is why these challenge systems are coming in.

speaking of the challenge system, england and west indies are using it at the moment. one of the challenges made by west indies was against an lbw on sarwan i think. umpire gave it out, challenged, and given not out. incidently hawkeye said it was going on to hit leg stump. go figure.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #164
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
wasn't m.clarke MoM in game 2, which australia lost.
In a match where NZ's figures were largely unremarkable. That's my point.

Quote:
regarding the lbw decisions being left up to the umpire, i would agree but... there does seem to be more and more incidences these days where the replay will show a bit of bat involved first. sometimes embarressingly so for the umpire. this fact alone says that somethng needs to be done in this area, whether the umps are wired up to a 3rd/4th ump or a challenge system but its happening far to regularly now.
IMO, the standard of the umpiring has fallen. Hair was one of the better umpires on the scene and was pushed out because of politics. Bucknor is well passed his use-by date and should be shown the door.

Quote:
speaking of the challenge system, england and west indies are using it at the moment. one of the challenges made by west indies was against an lbw on sarwan i think. umpire gave it out, challenged, and given not out. incidently hawkeye said it was going on to hit leg stump. go figure.
A challenge system is a reasonable comprimise... but as I said before, I wouldn't trust Hawkeye as far as I could throw it and should never be used to adjudicate LBW's in its current form.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #165
prydey
Rob

hopefully its a decent game tomorrow. i'll be there. forecast is a nice 23 too. woot.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #166
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...and nothing coming from the ICC since the trial...

Even the executive producer of Nine (which develop most of this technology for broadcast use only) suggest that the only reasonally foolproof technology is hotspot... and even then I've seen situations where video replays couldn't pick up the right angle to confirm a hotspot.
Those are few and far between. Compared to the more common blantant mistakes that we see made by all umpires.
I'm still going with " if the technology is there, use it!'
Was good to see that no technology could save the poms tho!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #167
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
Those are few and far between. Compared to the more common blantant mistakes that we see made by all umpires.
I'm still going with " if the technology is there, use it!'
Was good to see that no technology could save the poms tho!
As Prydey suggested, a limited amount of challenges allowed to each team would be a reasonable comprimise in my opinion. Referring the majority of LBW shouts to a 3rd umpire would bring an already slow paced game to a screeching halt - particularly in India.

As far as LBW decisions go, I don't trust snicko, I don't trust Hawkeye (and neither does the executive producer of 9). I would trust hotspot to judge as to whether the ball has hit the bat and I would trust the line drawn down the middle of the pitch to judge pitch outside leg and hit in line. That's about it. Given that, the best tool to judge whether the ball would have gone onto the stumps IMO is the umpire at the bowler's end.

The technology today has still proven to be unreliable and not the be all end all. I've lost count of how many catches have been given not out because it was unclear as to whether the ball had been grassed even though the fieldsman is absolutely adamant they've taken it fairly.

Hawkeye providing ridiculous estimations of ball prediction. IIRC, the daddy of Hawkeye suggested an error of margin of 10cm at one stage but I can't find it recorded anywhere (and that's without predicting the flight).

Snicko being sensetive enough to pick up creaks and stresses in the bat and handle, masking itself as a faint edge.

Run-outs effected can also go towards the batsmen as the critical moment just happens to be between two frames or the spigot leaving the groove isn't completely clear due to the bails being a blur or the batsmen has moved ~10cm between frames and it's unclear as to whether they've made their ground or not.

If the technology was fast and accurate, I'd be on your side. It's not so I'm not.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #168
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Hawkeye providing ridiculous estimations of ball prediction. IIRC, the daddy of Hawkeye suggested an error of margin of 10cm at one stage but I can't find it recorded anywhere (and that's without predicting the flight).
If you take a look at the tennis when they use hawkeye. The wide spread of the ball is taking the error margin into the reading. SO it isn't accurate enough, especially when it just touches the bails.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #169
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As Prydey suggested, a limited amount of challenges allowed to each team would be a reasonable comprimise in my opinion. Referring the majority of LBW shouts to a 3rd umpire would bring an already slow paced game to a screeching halt - particularly in India.

As far as LBW decisions go, I don't trust snicko, I don't trust Hawkeye (and neither does the executive producer of 9). I would trust hotspot to judge as to whether the ball has hit the bat and I would trust the line drawn down the middle of the pitch to judge pitch outside leg and hit in line. That's about it. Given that, the best tool to judge whether the ball would have gone onto the stumps IMO is the umpire at the bowler's end.

The technology today has still proven to be unreliable and not the be all end all. I've lost count of how many catches have been given not out because it was unclear as to whether the ball had been grassed even though the fieldsman is absolutely adamant they've taken it fairly.

Snicko being sensetive enough to pick up creaks and stresses in the bat and handle, masking itself as a faint edge.

Run-outs effected can also go towards the batsmen as the critical moment just happens to be between two frames or the spigot leaving the groove isn't completely clear due to the bails being a blur or the batsmen has moved ~10cm between frames and it's unclear as to whether they've made their ground or not.

If the technology was fast and accurate, I'd be on your side. It's not so I'm not.
What has the executive producer of channel 9 have to do with all this??? Thats the same egg who won't put rugby league on in Melbourne.
To use on of your favourite sayings: " I don't trust him as far as I can throw him!" That goes for both of your oponions on technology in cricket too!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #170
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
What has the executive producer of channel 9 have to do with all this??? Thats the same egg who won't put rugby league on in Melbourne.
To use on of your favourite sayings: " I don't trust him as far as I can throw him!" That goes for both of your oponions on technology in cricket too!
Considering all the up to date advances in technology are used by the 9 commentary team I consider it relevant that the executive producer who, I would imagine, has direct communication with the developers, doesn't believe it's mature enough to provide fast and accurate results.

Unless you're part of the team that has anything to do with these tools, I'd take his opinion over yours.

So, are you in any way involved with any of the tools the 9 commentary team use?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #171
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
If you take a look at the tennis when they use hawkeye. The wide spread of the ball is taking the error margin into the reading. SO it isn't accurate enough, especially when it just touches the bails.
I'd suggest that the cameras are also significantly closer thus minimising the error. I'm not a tennis watcher so I wouldn't know the answer to this but do they employ predictive path software?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #172
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Considering all the up to date advances in technology are used by the 9 commentary team I consider it relevant that the executive producer who, I would imagine, has direct communication with the developers, doesn't believe it's mature enough to provide fast and accurate results.

Unless you're part of the team that has anything to do with these tools, I'd take his opinion over yours.

So, are you in any way involved with any of the tools the 9 commentary team use?
Imagine what you like. He's got nothing to do with deciding what goes on in the decision making process of cricket.But you seem to want to keep clinging onto him like its all you've got.
Also, I don't know any of the tools on the commentary team. I do however now of another... : :
Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #173
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
Imagine what you like. He's got nothing to do with deciding what goes on in the decision making process of cricket.But you seem to want to keep clinging onto him like its all you've got.
Also, I don't know any of the tools on the commentary team. I do however now of another... : :
You've yet to refute a single point I've made except to say 'your wrong' (sic) and suggesting I'm a tool.

Clinging as it's all I've got? Geez, I listed at least 6 points and explained why I don't feel they're feasable. Your comeback is to pick one sentence out of a post and run with it.

Not much point debating anything else with you.

Last edited by Rodp; 10-02-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #174
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You've yet to refute a single point I've made except to say 'your wrong' (sic) and suggesting I'm a tool.

Clinging as it's all I've got? Geez, I listed at least 6 points and explained why I don't feel they're feasable. Your comeback is to pick one sentence out of a post and run with it.

Not much point debating anything else with you.
Rod. You're the one who needs prove your points. Just because you say the technology isn't not good enough, doesn't make it so.
The ICC is allowing this technology to be used in matches. I don't think they care about what you and you buddy at channel 9 think.

Not too many years ago, Tv replays weren't used on tight run-outs. Now, as you point out, they are referred to all the time by umpires. Maybe too often you said. But why? Because its there to use now. Better be safe that look foolish is what most umpires probably think. I think its a good thing. Like I said before, why is the umpire the only one watching the game, still unsure if he just got a split-second decision wrong, when he can refer it, get the correct decision and avoid embarrassment and controversy.

I will admit that its going to be difficult to introduce the referral system. Might take a while to get used to and to get it right for that matter.
If they use it for cricket like they do in rugby league would be a good starting point in my oponion. Make it so the technology must 100% prove that the umpire got it wrong to change a decision or in the case of uncertainty, refer it back for a umpires call.

Have you watched any games where this new technology is used, or are you, once again I might add, just going off what you've read and heard??
Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #175
BZINGA