Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #151
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
and the Kiwis were playing against 12 men for almost the entire game..

the same could be said for many games so far including the aussies v ghana!! funnily enough, the only people whinging are the fans. most players of any sport are taught very early on to play the ref, and get on with it.

well done to nz - they are playing well, but that only makes them equal or better than the teams they beat on that given day. same goes for any side.

soccer(football) is almost the only game left without a 3rd umpire. the on field guys are always going to get it wrong, and being human, you often wonder if its possible to be 100% impartial.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #152
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
no I am not joking and Im not "settling" for anything. Facts are facts, they were not good enough to beat Ghana, that is idisputable because they couldnt and didnt beat them..right ? anything else is making excuses and fantasy.They are a 2nd rate team atm and the results and play show it, hopefully the next generation will change that.
whilst i agree that they weren't good enough 'on the day', that doesn't mean you can rate them as a side based on 1 game, or even their campaign so far. i think the socceroos would admit themselves they're not having the best tournament. i guess part of playing on the big stage is being able to step up when it counts, and they aren't doing that in 2010, however, they do have the talent in the team to be able to compete with a lot of the teams out there.

against ghana, we played nearly 80min without kewell, and while he's not playing the best lately it can dramatically affect team morale when something like that happens. to hold off a confident ghana and have a couple more close chances yourself with only 10 men on the pitch was a brave effort. credit where its due.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #153
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

One thing that is really starting to p*** me off is the Australian medias constant riding on the back of New Zealand's performance, CH9's Karl Stefanovic's comment this morning about Australia having two teams in the World cup followed by Cameron William’s saying NZ did us proud nearly had me sticking my boot through the TV, reality check Australia, the All Whites are doing it for New Zealand FFS!....

Congrats New Zealand, more power to ya....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #154
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Save it for the Aussie fans, the whole of NZ is walking on sunshine today! You'd think we won the world cup the way we're celebrating!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #155
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Save it for the Aussie fans, the whole of NZ is walking on sunshine today! You'd think we won the world cup the way we're celebrating!
All power to you puts99. The kiwis were fantastic this morning and I enjoyed watching our Kiwi brothers give it to Italy!
Old 21-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #156
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that goalie of theres was great last night

not many of the goalies ive seen this year could have put up with that much punishment towards the end of the match

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #157
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross-b
that goalie of theres was great last night

not many of the goalies ive seen this year could have put up with that much punishment towards the end of the match
Agreed, the NZ goalie did a great job.

I also agree with a previous comment of not having a third umpire... even the commentators agreed that the NZ goal was clearly off-side, but hey it is the sport and it happens. And whilst NZ played very well, they got lucky with that goal.

Let's face it, how many shots at goal did NZ have? 3

How many shots at goal did Italy have? 23. They are the facts. NZ played 100% defense, and this also is evident in the fact that Italy had 15 corner kicks and NZ had zero. So it would have been very difficlut for NZ to actually score apart from that off-side one. Italy had many attempts (ok too many) and NZ did well the simply play defense the whole time.

A good match to watch all the same. And lets just see what happens with the rest of the tournament.

And about the theatritcs comment... I think that Italy was not the only team to be auditioning for the oscars this morning..... so let's face it, it is just the game.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #158
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Agreed, the NZ goalie did a great job.

And about the theatritcs comment... I think that Italy was not the only team to be auditioning for the oscars this morning..... so let's face it, it is just the game.
this is true but the Italians have it down to a fine art Im sure its a part of their training regime
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #159
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
whilst i agree that they weren't good enough 'on the day', that doesn't mean you can rate them as a side based on 1 game, or even their campaign so far. i think the socceroos would admit themselves they're not having the best tournament. i guess part of playing on the big stage is being able to step up when it counts, and they aren't doing that in 2010, however, they do have the talent in the team to be able to compete with a lot of the teams out there.

against ghana, we played nearly 80min without kewell, and while he's not playing the best lately it can dramatically affect team morale when something like that happens. to hold off a confident ghana and have a couple more close chances yourself with only 10 men on the pitch was a brave effort. credit where its due.

yes it was a brave effort, I agree though that doesnt change the fact. Im not talking about 1 game or even just this tournemant. I was not surprised by the drubbing from Germany at all, in fact I expected something like that to happen, a blind man could see that coming. Put simply, you cant step up if you dont have what it takes to do the stepping. Bravery and aussie battling spirit can only get you so far. Look at the age of this team, the majority is clearly well past its use by date . Neil, grella, Moore, Kewell !!! c'mon. Half the first team cant get a game at their clubs, the other half are always injured. Schwarzer is the only world class player we have. Why on earth is Kewell even there ! what did he play like one game in the last 6 months or something like that ?
Like I said, my opinion. I know others dont agree but hey, proof is in the pudding.
and we shall see what happens against the serbs, hopefully they can manage something respectable.
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 21-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #160
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i am not sure why i am defending australia so much, because in truth it may look like i should not. however australia won their first recent world cup finals match 3-1 and were not disgraced against brazil in their second. to compare australia with new zealand, you would need to compare aus-2006 to nz-2010. the first time in a world cup seems to be relatively successful for most teams. the second time just like in most sports is harder to back up
Why would you need to compare Australia 2006 with New Zealand 2010? I'm comparing Australia 2010 to New Zealand 2010. Not only that but NZ also have a tougher group than Australia. Right now at this point in time they are playing better.

Quote:
no I am not joking and Im not "settling" for anything. Facts are facts, they were not good enough to beat Ghana, that is idisputable because they couldnt and didnt beat them..right ? anything else is making excuses and fantasy.They are a 2nd rate team atm and the results and play show it, hopefully the next generation will change that.
A team playing with 10 men without their key player is a considerable disadvantage and not an indication of the ability of the teams potential. Australia were and are good enough to beat Ghana.

Quote:
just my opinion of course
Wait is it facts or opinion? I could've sworn one paragraph up you were using the words 'indisputable' and 'facts'.
Old 21-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #161
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Kiwi's draw 1-1 with Italy. Italian fans in the crowd weren't happy
Why there wasn't enough diving??

NZ have done well I hope they progress they have been a better side then the Aussies.
Old 21-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #162
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Why would you need to compare Australia 2006 with New Zealand 2010? I'm comparing Australia 2010 to New Zealand 2010. Not only that but NZ also have a tougher group than Australia. Right now at this point in time they are playing better.
because i am trying to look at the positives for australia, the reason for comparing over those two series is simple. in most sports, a new competitor will start playing and look good. in the first year expectations are not high and the players go out and try to enjoy themselves. by the second year or four years later in this case, the competitor starts to feel the pressure. expectations are higher and in a lot of cases they cannot deliver to the same level. that is probably what is happening to australia at present. of course nz are doing better than australia at present - that is so obvious, it did not need to be said. i just tried to give some credit to a team i do not follow

and mr rubbish man - let's see where nz finish in 2014

anyway, i do not care. my team has five world cups - two since i have been following. if australia's tall poppy syndrome or nz's insecurities force their fans to think differently from me - who cares. i may not be grinning by the end of the tournament, but you guys will have to please yourselves because neither of australia's teams will win
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #163
XR8putts

Quote:

anyway, i do not care. my team has five world cups - two since i have been following. if australia's tall poppy syndrome or nz's insecurities force their fans to think differently from me - who cares. i may not be grinning by the end of the tournament, but you guys will have to please yourselves because neither of australia's teams will win
The only person with tall poppy syndrome in this thread seems to be you. Everyone seems to be happy for the Kiwis, but you feel the need to cut them down and compare them to teams of yesteryear and tournaments which havn't even happened yet. Why can't their fans be happy with what they've done so far?

Perhaps you're right though, the All Whites do need to sort themselves out. Who do they think they are anyway? - playing their hearts out and doing their tiny nation proud. They should just stop getted excited by their nation's best ever results at the tournament; two lame draws - and go home now and start preparing for the all important 2014 tournament.

Last edited by XR8putts; 21-06-2010 at 06:16 PM.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #164
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
...but you guys will have to please yourselves because neither of australia's teams will win....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #165
gtxb67

i have not put down nz - i have only suggested that australia did very well in 2006 and are doing well now, but looking at positives for anything is not something that is done here on a regular basis. most only look for negatives
Old 21-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #166
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
so an australian team will win
Old 21-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #167
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Oh well this cup is one of the most unpredictable I have watched - good and bad.
Refs ? inconsistancy putting it mildly - altitude may have caused game blindness !
How was Kaka's send off ?! joke,talk about academy award taken from the Italians.
Happy for some of the smaller countries getting about their business, the known top football nations are imploding as you watch off and on the pitch -
Poms could they be worse than us ??!!
French have virtually bombed themselves period ! not that they were going to get anywhere anyway.
Brazil 3-1 win - wasn't convincing at all the last 20mins of the game.

So we finished with 10men and a hard fought draw - some satisfaction but meh I'm disappointed - being a player myself I don't agree with the send off of Kewel - yellow for sure and penalty but for the life of me why was he our forward on the line anyway ? I mean having played all my life in 1st grade not once can I remember under the pump a forward of ours in that position ! oh well serbs next whats going to happen lol.....
Good luck to the kiwis I was stunned to hear the score this morn.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #168
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST

A team playing with 10 men without their key player is a considerable disadvantage and not an indication of the ability of the teams potential. Australia were and are good enough to beat Ghana.

Wait is it facts or opinion? I could've sworn one paragraph up you were using the words 'indisputable' and 'facts'.
well...if you want to be smart about it...IT IS A FACT !! they could not beat ghana, irregardless of what you "think" should have happened . Could have, should have, would have.
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 21-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #169
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
One thing that is really starting to p*** me off is the Australian medias constant riding on the back of New Zealand's performance, CH9's Karl Stefanovic's comment this morning about Australia having two teams in the World cup followed by Cameron William’s saying NZ did us proud nearly had me sticking my boot through the TV, reality check Australia, the All Whites are doing it for New Zealand FFS!....

Congrats New Zealand, more power to ya....
That's the problem with the Media. They claim Kiwi's when they are doing well. They even claim Russell Crowe as an Aussie. They can keep him.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #170
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
What rubbish! NZ deserves all the praise they're getting and then some!

And this isn't our first time at the world cup either, so there goes that theory. Italy were very lucky not to lose this morning, and the Kiwis were playing against 12 men for almost the entire game.. the Hollywood theatrics got the Italians a long way.

If the current world champions can't beat a team ranked 70-something places below them, we're doing something right!

Plus 1 for this post.

How can you ausies complain about your draw, when we have Italian in ours
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #171
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Sorry but it's these sort of comments (the last part of the post) that is what is wrong with soccer. If it's just part of the game, why don't fix it and get rid of this crap and make it a sporting game of teams fighting hard for a win and playing fairly? Soccer players these days remind me of grade 1 schoolkids having a whinge when the school teacher takes their basketball off them.

It baffles me why all the diehard soccer fans put up with it as "part of the game". No 3rd umpire on important decisions, questionable favouritism towards some teams, and the academy-award winning hollywood acting by so-called sportsman. It has the potential to be so much better to watch if the game was played on it's merits and all players were treated fairly.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #172
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS
Plus 1 for this post.

How can you ausies complain about your draw, when we have Italian in ours
This is the worst Italian team in a long time, The coach picked a bad one.
And the Kiwi's can play a littlr rough, but good luck to them.

Italy is missing playmakers.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #173
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

of what matchs ive seen so far there only been a few teams that have that ive been impressed by, Argentina , Holland ( go orange Army), not many teams have hit top gear as of yet, imo there needs to be more goals which has been lacking but i'm sure there will be in the final rounds of matches , imo the refs have been worst ive seen in a major tournament.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #174
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
This is the worst Italian team in a long time, The coach picked a bad one.

Italy is missing playmakers.

Couldn't agree more !!! The 2006 Azzuri's were a brilliant tam with some great playmakers. You can have talented players, but without some playmakers - the team is useless...
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #175
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

If they made a movie about soccer they wouldn't have as much acting as you'd find in real life.

I agree with you, rodderz, except the part where you compare them to 1st graders; Kids that age hardly lie.

For such a world game I'm appalled by this very fact that, like the television series "Survivor", faking, acting, and being two-faced, plays a major role in determining a "winner". What a bunch of sissies.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #176
rodderz

I thought Italy didn't really play all that bad last night, but the kiwi's defense was awesome. Italy had possession nearly the whole game, got it into their half very quickly, and pressed deep into defense. But as mentioned a lot of kicks towards their box were a bit of kick and hope, there was a bit of playmaking and set plays but not as much as a few years back. New Zealand's defenders just kept keeping it out
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #177
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
because i am trying to look at the positives for australia, the reason for comparing over those two series is simple. in most sports, a new competitor will start playing and look good. in the first year expectations are not high and the players go out and try to enjoy themselves. by the second year or four years later in this case, the competitor starts to feel the pressure. expectations are higher and in a lot of cases they cannot deliver to the same level. that is probably what is happening to australia at present. of course nz are doing better than australia at present - that is so obvious, it did not need to be said. i just tried to give some credit to a team i do not follow
That is an excuse. Australia are a capable side and should be performing as such. There is a lot more pressure on the bigger sides to perform yet they manage to be consistent year to year.

Why did it not need to be said? I went to the game at the MCG earlier this year where Australia defeated New Zealand. Here we are a short period later and NZ are playing much better. It's worth mentioning and comparing.

Quote:
What the hell is the rubbish man thing about? I don't care where NZ finish in 2014, thats not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about right here right now, as I have from the start. New Zealand is playing better football than Australia. Good on them.

Quote:
well...if you want to be smart about it...IT IS A FACT !! they could not beat ghana, irregardless of what you "think" should have happened . Could have, should have, would have.
You have changed your phrasing from "Australia was not good enough" to "they could not beat Ghana", very big difference there. Australia COULD beat Ghana and were/are good enough, losing a key player and playing a man down for almost the entirety of the match changes the situation.

Where exactly have I been smart? You were the one who said "Australia were not good enough and that is indisputable"" which is completely untrue. You obviously don't understand the game or didn't watch it if you didn't see the disadvantage they were presented with.
Old 22-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #178
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
What the hell is the rubbish man thing about?
it wasn't about you - but as usual the 2 most vocal towards my posts have only read the headline, not the article
Old 22-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #179
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Why there wasn't enough diving??

NZ have done well I hope they progress they have been a better side then the Aussies.
King oath! my god the italians are pathetic. Makes it so painful to watch when they are doing that kind of rubbish.

There needs to be a referee watching it on TV and when a blatant dive is done, it needs to be pulled up.

If these idiots get sent off for their theatrics, it'll stop real quick
Old 22-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #180
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
That is an excuse. Australia are a capable side and should be performing as such. There is a lot more pressure on the bigger sides to perform yet they manage to be consistent year to year.

Why did it not need to be said? I went to the game at the MCG earlier this year where Australia defeated New Zealand. Here we are a short period later and NZ are playing much better. It's worth mentioning and comparing.

What the hell is the rubbish man thing about? I don't care where NZ finish in 2014, thats not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about right here right now, as I have from the start. New Zealand is playing better football than Australia. Good on them.

You have changed your phrasing from "Australia was not good enough" to "they could not beat Ghana", very big difference there. Australia COULD beat Ghana and were/are good enough, losing a key player and playing a man down for almost the entirety of the match changes the situation.

Where exactly have I been smart? You were the one who said "Australia were not good enough and that is indisputable"" which is completely untrue. You obviously don't understand the game or didn't watch it if you didn't see the disadvantage they were presented with.

what on earth are you on about , a very big difference ? I'll say it again They could not beat ghana because they werent good enough , and yes thats is indisputable because they didnt !!!!! what part do you not understand ?
Tell me, has a team with 10 men never beaten a team with 11 ? youre whole silly argument hinges on this does it ? and how exactly is Kewel a key player,when he has hardly kicked a ball in the last 6 months? ...and youre telling me I dont understand the game
considering I played the game for about 15 years and played state league level for port adelaide I think I may know a thing or two .

I dont expect you to agree as the perception of a fanboy is a little different than objective point of view.
AU III XR8 red ute