Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #121
Crofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_daly
may have something to do with this being a FORD forums, so yes people are going to be rather biased towards falcons, but do you blame them? such beautiful cars..
:
if you feel happy trying to hide the fact commodores sell more.. then ok.. ? :1syellow1

like I said, im not one sided... just seeing how the facts read.. :
Crofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #122
blown351
new ford fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6

Now this add shows Fords complete lack of abilitry to promote a car and its merits properly. This particular add is demeaning to women (alot of women call the shots with the purse strings) and does nothing for Fords image. Holden on the other hand throw plenty of performance orientated adds where cars turn up a storm doing burnouts etc. Gee, I wonder which car will get the better image and thus sell more. People dont buy cars based on seeing dogs run after a ute, nor for that matter do they buy them because hot women walk after them. They buy them because they are perceived better.
yeah but did you notice the piece of crap commodores only done the burnouts in the gravel not on the bitumen, e.g the one with thunderstruck as the theme song!!!
blown351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #123
XR666T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty
if you feel happy trying to hide the fact commodores sell more.. then ok.. ? :1syellow1

like I said, im not one sided... just seeing how the facts read.. :
Who really cares if they sell more?

It's not what i'd base my decision to purchase a car on!
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #124
Crofty

The guy who started this thread? : That IS the topic afterall...
Crofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #125
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I'm sure if someone asked Paul Gover, he would tell us all in a jiffy!
Old 16-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #126
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This question cannot be answered simply without knowing the marketing stratagies of both companies. There are many reasons why the Commodore may outsell the Ford... but on what level?

Private vs. Fleet?
Sedan vs. Wagon?
XT vs. Executive?
HSV vs. FPV?

Every single model is targeted at a different market. Holden may be outselling the Commie, but Ford may be making a better profit margin...

Silly question really....

And with GM owning Holden... do Jag/Mazda customers care their cars parents are Ford?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #127
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Does that mean Ford mean a great del to South Africa and Thailand?
Bit of inconsistency in your logic here MethodX. Holden means a great deal deal to Korea because an increasing number of Holdens are being imported from Korea. On the other hand South Africa and Thailand mean a great deal to Australia because Australian-made Ford Territorys are being exported there.

I'm a bit of an outsider to this Holden vs Ford thing because I owned other brands for 30 years but drove Holdens and Fords in fleets and always found them both pretty mediocre. Then owned 2 Holdens and quickly discovered that Holden are very good at customer focus and not very good at making cars. Then changed to the Territory and find that Ford have become very good at making cars but not so good on customer focus.

I think the answer to the question posed by this thread is that buyers respond to customer focus more than the quality of the car. Put govt fleet purchases on top of this and you have sales going Commodore's way. Again as an outsider I'd say there's really not a lot between the Commodore and Falcon but the current Falcon does have the definite design and quality edge.

This is not going to convince the die-hards in either camp!
Old 16-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #128
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Korea line gets a tad tiring is all..

Both companies are American multinationals, who import cars from other divisions.

Focus comes from Seth Efrica, Courier from Thailand.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #129
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for enlightening me MethodX - I was being a bit tongue in cheek! So how many Holdens are exported to Korea then?
Old 16-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #130
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh so am i, u need to be around here lol.

Not sure on the number.
There were plans to export Statesmans to Korea, not sure if that has happened yet.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #131
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because the braindead monkeys running the blue oval company are pathetic and incompetent. (no offence to any Ford employees here).

Seriously they are useless.......have no understanding of the phrase "customer satisfaction" and couldn't market a hooker in a brothel.

"Should we give them a lift?'
"No...they're dogs!"

Doesn't that make you wanna buy a falcon!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #132
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

[QUOTE=SlickHolden]That is a flying guess.

Holden haven't won a championship in years how can they use it?.
Like they say in footy 1 win doesn't make a year.
QUOTE]

Ah...

Holden won from 98 to 2002, four years straight, until the BA, trust me people still remember. Three years of winning for Ford is beginning to pay dividends, look at BA sales compared to the unwinning AU. Also Ford haven't won at Bathurst since 1998 and yes Holden do use that. Im not saying that motorsport influences everyone, just that either manufacturer winning provides a building block for marketing. You can't tell me that marketing on the back of motorsport performance does not have influence on buyers. Massive hypothetical, but had Lowndes won the championship in an AU at his first hit-out. The affect on sales would not have been massive or even dented Holdens gap, but it would have been larger than had he not. Success, be it in racing, or even winning an award of such (magazines etc..) does make a difference.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #133
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

its funny, where i live i get better after care service and generally nicer people at my local ford dealer (from whom i bought my SS off 2nd hand) and have seen to all my warranty claims, which have included expendables such as belts, locks etc. Mind you sometimes they werent fixed properly but atleast done right the 2nd time around. Everytime i go to the local holden dealer to browse or when we were shopping for the misses car, we got terrible service, they tried to rip us in a bad way, and were just shoddy. Holden sucks here, and Ford pass the test. Sounds like its the opposite of what goes around normally?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #134
Mondie
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
This issue is being over complicated with all the servicing, sales and talk about porduction numbers and the rest.

Its a simple image issue. Holden marketing craps all over Fords. Look at fords recent add campaign, they start with a ford ute driveing through town where models walk after a car. They then follow it up with an add where instead of good looking women, dogs chase the car, the passenger turns to the driver and proclaims, theyre dogs.

Now this add shows Fords complete lack of abilitry to promote a car and its merits properly. This particular add is demeaning to women (alot of women call the shots with the purse strings) and does nothing for Fords image. Holden on the other hand throw plenty of performance orientated adds where cars turn up a storm doing burnouts etc. Gee, I wonder which car will get the better image and thus sell more. People dont buy cars based on seeing dogs run after a ute, nor for that matter do they buy them because hot women walk after them. They buy them because they are perceived better.

l could not agree more, those ads make me cringe and always get a negative reaction from my wife who is a Ford fan. Just dumb. misguided advertising. l would hate to think how many millions are paid to the agency that cooks that crap up each year.

Ford dropping the V8 in the 80's is still hurting them now as is the HCT/HSV brand image that Holden have had to themselves for far too many years. Everyone likes a winner
and thats Holdens edge, they market themselves as such and it works.
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #135
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Depends on who owns the dealership I guess. When ford owned their dealerships their was a massive customer focus drive, but since being farmed out to various other companies, the customer focus has fallen. For me, my Ford dealer does all the servicing on all of my cars because they are that good. I got the merc serviced there last friday and cost $350 including merc parts. Mercedes wanted $1200 for the same.

Also, it helps when the blokes at Ford get to know you and you don't do your lolly when something doesn't go right. Used to get shoddy service until one day when informed of a problem I just said; "oh well, it happens". With this attitude over the years, I've never had a single problem since, and the guys there including the mechanics like to come and have a chat about what's going on. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I fully trust my local dealership. For instance, when the merc was in there the other day and we were trying to find a rattle, the mechanic got changed before going on a test drive. I only wish my family were as nice to my cars as these blokes are.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #136
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
No- once again, over all Ford dont produce that many E-Gas falcons and then even when it comes to private conversions, you have to allow for the queue up...rediculous waiting times for LPG to be fitted atm. Its probably something like 90% Petrol Falcons, 10% E-Gas (though im guessing its even less). Ford Cant produce as many commodores as Holden can and a Majority of Governments run Holden Commodores both MWB and LWB.
Theyre are no where near as many BA Taxi's on the road as there used to be AU's and those AU's are still on the Road today..A Majority of Taxi drivers will run them into the ground because it makes sense...they dont get much money back on their falcons because of the rediculously high K's. Most Government organisation put their fleet requests out to Tender, this means that you are pretty much guaranteed that Holden will beat Ford to the gong when it comes to fleet plans. It all comes down to the best offer, the bottom dollar and Holden can afford to sell their commodores at fleet prices that leasing companies or organisations would have to be stupid to turn their noses up at.
Well if you bought a AU in 00-01-02 your not going to grab a BA till maybe 05-06. If you bought a AU in 98 I'm sure many bought a BA by now, they don't want to run them for 900,000km if they don't have to, Most will give them the flick by 600,00 or 700,000, They wouldn't own a Taxi for more then 3-4 years. My friends father is a taxi driver in the 9 years i have known her he has had 3 taxis. Admittingly he only changed the VT because he got rolled from behind. He bought a BA.
But i don't think ford is even trying when it comes to fleet at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Seemed like a majority of Fact in there though

The VE is having a majority of its parts outsourced for cost cutting.. two of those being China and Korea.
Something people haven't thought of is per car made in Australia if only 51% of it's content is Australian parts supplied, By car made I'm sure Holden builds 30-40% more cars overall then Ford do. That little 51% will go along way.
The time will come for Ford to do the same you will see. But they will make it 52% so everyone can say my car has more Aussie parts in it:P
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown351
yeah but did you notice the piece of crap commodores only done the burnouts in the gravel not on the bitumen, e.g the one with thunderstruck as the theme song!!!
Your a real Nob it's a ad man lol :evil_laug
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
Because the braindead monkeys running the blue oval company are pathetic and incompetent. (no offence to any Ford employees here).

Seriously they are useless.......have no understanding of the phrase "customer satisfaction" and couldn't market a hooker in a brothel.

"Should we give them a lift?'
"No...they're dogs!"

Doesn't that make you wanna buy a falcon!
That highlighted word is so tasteless if you only knew how much.

One ford ad makes me sick, When the mother is in the hospital and she has just gave birth but takes off on her baby to go buy a car? It's so wrong that ad.
Old 17-05-2006, 01:15 AM   #137
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

the guys at torque ford here at brendale/strathpine are awesome, ild recommend them to anyone(im glad i found a dealer that isnt like some of the ones you guys have experienced) and to add to the topic its allin the advertisment, i tested a few current model commodores and a supercharged statesman(lol this one was for **** factor:P) and even the statesman(wh) had nothing on the ba, in the commodores i had to be on the throttle the whole bloody time especially in the statesman the thing lost speed so quickly if i took my foot off where as the falcons are great off the line and cruise along with no dramas(one thing i really like about long highway drives in my xf) but for the parts that actually matter to me when selecting a new car features, comfort, reliability, interior design the falcon crapped all over the commodores and statesman, the vy/z commodores are living to much in the past especially with interior design, i found the insides really bland and nothing that really excited me about driving them although im really glad i had a play in them cause now its given me no reason to doubt the falcon at allbut the ba was so much fun to drive and really comfortable and had a more up market/sporty feel even though it was an xt, commodore just felt thrown together and not much effort went into designing the vy/z dash, lol and theres my annual commodore rant for may
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:08 AM   #138
LeMans

I haven’t read all these posts so apologies if this has already been noted, but last I heard Ford were making bigger profits out of their sales of Falcon/Territory than Holden from sales of the Commodore. So who between Ford and Holden is getting it right? But then again, that fits in with Holden's philosophy of "more is better" and Fords philosophy of "smart is better".
LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #139
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans
I haven’t read all these posts so apologies if this has already been noted, but last I heard Ford were making bigger profits out of their sales of Falcon/Territory than Holden from sales of the Commodore. So who between Ford and Holden is getting it right? But then again, that fits in with Holden's philosophy of "more is better" and Fords philosophy of "smart is better".
That's actually part fo the reason why GM in the states is in so much trouble. They heavily, and I mean really heavily discounted all of their trucks like the 1500, 2500 and 3500 in order to get huge sales around the time the new F series trucks came out, marketed the hell out of them and cut the prices to within 10-15% above production costs; just to win the business. Then, when all of the V8 problems started to surface GM replaced the affected engines under warranty, when the enormity of the situation hit that so many engines; LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 etc were effected GM baulked on the warranty claims and just said the noise and oil consumption were normal. That's where the class actions comes in. All because they slashed prices so that replacing major components on these trucks eroded any miniscule profit made. Atleast Ford hadn't been so recklessly discounting to try and get sales, and at least they had Bridgestone to help out in their civil liabilities, because the explorer/firestone/kaboom almost ended Ford USA.

Quote: