Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #121
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: VE Commodore named best Australian car

I think early Territories are quite bad. In fact, I seem to recall someone saying here that they very early ones were assembled incorrectly in the factory because the jigs were out of alignment. The SY were obviously better and the SYII better again. I still aspire to own an SYII TTG one day.

The SZ is very nice though. And there are heaps of them around now, so you can't tell me that each and every Territory made is a bucket of crap, its like anything man made, a few bad eggs can spoil the dozen.

That said, my BA has been absolutely brilliant. 7 years on and it is showing its age, I have to replace the headliner because it is sagging and one of the door lock actuators have failed, but that car has never let me down and is as tight as a drum, even with 160,xxx on the clock and never really been garaged in its life (no rust either).

My mate had a 2006 VE Omega as his company car. 175kw V6, 4 speed automatic. Absolutely woeful car to drive. It was no better than my BA in terms of finish and as far as the drive goes, my BA caned it. Whatever Holden spent their $1 billion on, very little of it went to the Omega I think.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #122
MyForce6

How can a car that's been "Australia's Most RECALLED car" be "BEST Australian car"?

Holden is recalling more than 86,000 Commodores and Statesmans to fix a potential fuel leak that could lead to a fire.
The recall affects every V6-powered VE Commodore and luxury WM Statesman and Caprice models sold since the vehicle went on sale in August 2006.
As well as 53,180 cars sold in Australia, the recall involves 27,083 vehicles exported to the Middle East, 5456 to New Zealand, 784 to Brazil and 26 to other countries, including Korea. In total 86,539 Commodores, Statesmans and Caprices are being recalled.
The recall does not affect V8-powered Commodores, more of which were sold than ever before in 2007.
The latest safety recall of Holden’s so-called “billion-dollar baby” represents the third time the much-hyped VE Commodore has been recalled for safety issues.
“There’s a potential issue where a fuel line can rub [and wear through] leading to a fuel leak,” says a Holden spokeswoman. “We’d rather err on the side of caution and recall the [affected] vehicles.”
Leaking fuel could ultimately lead to a fire.
“We couldn’t rule that out,” says the spokeswoman. “But there’s been no cases of that whatsoever. But we couldn’t sit here and say it’s an impossibility.”
The fuel leak issue has already affected 19 vehicles – none of which caught fire - prompting Holden to recall every V6 version of the latest VE Commodore built up until 5 December 2007.
However, Holden says “the chances are very low” of a fuel leak.
Holden is asking Commodore owners and drivers to contact a Holden dealer to book their vehicles in for repair. The recall fix takes about 30 minutes and involves rerouting the fuel line so it doesn’t rub on other components.
MyForce6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #123
MyForce6

Holden's billion dollar VE Commodore has been recalled again to fix a seatbelt spring worth little more than a dollar, reports GLENN BUTLER.

HoldenCommodoreVESS

Holden has announced a second recall in four weeks for its best-selling Holden VE Commodore.

The recall affects nearly 13,000 cars built before mid-September and involves a spring in the rear seatbelt anchors which may prevent the belt from latching securely.

Holden said the defect came to light during testing at its Lang Lang Proving Ground on the outskirts of Melbourne.

"Holden is taking this action on advice from the relevant buckle supplier after the issue was detected during routine testing at the Holden Proving Ground," the company said in a statement issued at 1pm today (November 10, 2006).

The recall affects a total of 12,830 VE Commodores, Statesmans and Caprices, including those exported to New Zealand and South Africa.

It also affects 575 high performance HSV models sold in Australia and New Zealand.

Holden is quick to point out that no defects have been reported in customer cars.

“We have received no reports of this issue appearing in customer cars but we are taking this action regardless," said GM Holden Executive Director Engineering, Tony Hyde.

“We take customer safety very seriously and our customers would expect us to be vigilant."

This is the second recall in four weeks for the VE Commodore, the car Holden said underwent more quality validation testing in pre-production than any Commodore before it. The first on October 19 concerned the fuel hose on models with a 6.0-litre V8 engine.
The company said there was a chance of a misalignment occurring during the hose-assembly process at one of its supplier plants that could result in a fuel leak. More than 1300 of its new V8 Commodore, Statesman and Caprice cars were affected by this recall.
Old 19-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #124
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyForce6 View Post
How can a car that's been "Australia's Most RECALLED car" be "BEST Australian car"?
I think the XF Falcon had 6 recalls (according to the Government's recalls page). 7 with the auto transmission recall (for 'three and four speed ford automatics', which I assumed would have included the XF) I saw in there. Is that more or less than the VE has had?

The age of the info might increase the risk of it being incomplete, but on the topic of recalls it is actually interesting reading.

I'm still deciding whether I personally view recalls as a bad thing, given that the alternative (not acknowledging and fixing a known problem with a car) is more concerning for me. Obviously it is better if there are no problems at all, but there's usually a weak link somewhere.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 19-04-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: qualifying comment
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #125
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

How bizarre, The XF never had a 4 speed automatic...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #126
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

It was a recall for three and four speed ford automatics. It didn't say which models, but the XF I understand was available with a three speed. EDIT: issued in 1990 and to do with kickdown. Cheers.
Old 19-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #127
MyForce6

[QUOTE=Alan D Segal;4704599]I think the XF Falcon had 6 recalls (according to the Government's recalls page). 7 with the auto transmission recall (for 'three and four speed ford automatics', which I assumed would have included the XF) I saw in there. Is that more or less than the VE has had?

Im not sure I think the VE had 3 recalls totaling 86,000 recalled. Im sure Ford with XF didnt keep reminding us it spent 1 billion dollars on it and "the car Holden said underwent more quality validation testing in pre-production than any Commodore before it."
Old 19-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #128
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Im sure Ford with XF didnt keep reminding us it spent 1 billion dollars on it"
I highly doubt Ford spent $1billion on the XF. I'd expect it was a small fraction of that
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #129
MyForce6

hahaha yeah but you get what I mean.
Old 19-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #130
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
hahaha yeah but you get what I mean.
Yeah I do. Just joking around. Have a good arvo!
Old 19-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #131
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recall figures are able to be seen two ways either poor product or caring management. Isn't it about the preferred spin?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #132
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
And I would have loved to see how Chrysler went with the 340 4 speed in the Charger...Would have been interesting times....
that would have been interesting especially with the factory 6 pack (3x2 barrel holley carbs) they were going to fit to them.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #133
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyy17 View Post
Yes, GM Chev place chev badges on their commodores. That to commodores NOT sold in Australia. Unstrike back to a good point fortunately.
The Holden manufacturing plant, located in Elizabeth South Australia place them onto the car for the local market....

So once your ban is finished, you might want to take a trip to the plant and disagree with them..

FWIW, I have a mate that has worked there for the past 35 years that has passed the information onto me.....So I'd believe him, before I believed you...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #134
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau View Post
that would have been interesting especially with the factory 6 pack (3x2 barrel holley carbs) they were going to fit to them.
How true....What we'd do to turn back time.....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 19-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #135
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Can I ask what has recalls got to do with it? Toyota had a few massive recalls in the past 10 years, but somehow they seem to have clawed their way past Ford and Holden in the sales race.

Sad fact of manufacturing cars.....There is always going to be some inherant problem crop it's head up, despite the years and countless amounts of cash thrown at R&D....Add in, the amount of cars produced a day, and how long it takes for these inherant problems tp rear their head, it doesn't take long for a few thousand cars to be recalled to fix the problem/s....

Old 19-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #136
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can I ask what has recalls got to do with it? Toyota had a few massive recalls in the past 10 years, but somehow they seem to have clawed their way past Ford and Holden in the sales race.

Sad fact of manufacturing cars.....There is always going to be some inherant problem crop it's head up, despite the years and countless amounts of cash thrown at R&D....Add in, the amount of cars produced a day, and how long it takes for these inherant problems tp rear their head, it doesn't take long for a few thousand cars to be recalled to fix the problem/s....
I think its Toyotas reputation that keeps them afloat for being reliable?? I think Toyota could have many more recalls and people would still buy them. where as Ford and Holden have a bad image. the thing is people will always buy cars like Hilux for work utes and Corollas because of this belief. If I had too buy a new four wheel drive for example. I'd probably look at a Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser over any other four wheel drive personally. it wont happen thou. I have no need for a fourbie at this stage. unless I have too move out west or something. as for if I needed a small car I can think of a few along with a Corolla I would look at. Ford Focus and Nissan Pulsar for example.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #137
351capri
windsorman

Thumbs down Re: VE Commodore named best Australian car

People that buy and love the VE Commodore are brainwashed sheep that are too ignorant to try other brands. The motoring media in this country are biased towards Holden to the point that its getting embarassing. There are other brands of cars built in this country ,by brilliant Australians who will probably end up out of work due to the misinformation spread by said media!!
Old 20-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #138
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Just free advertising trying to boost Holden sales.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #139
1TUFFUTE
Banned

the holden adventra is the car with the most customer complaints and recalls in Australian history. I remember reading this a few months ago...and it was by a fair margin too.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #140
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
the holden adventra is the car with the most customer complaints and recalls in Australian history. I remember reading this a few months ago...and it was by a fair margin too.
And in the same issue of Wheels, the Adventra was included amounst a similar poll/vote for a cars that "promised" but "failed".
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #141
joeyy17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Holden manufacturing plant, located in Elizabeth South Australia place them onto the car for the local market....

So once your ban is finished, you might want to take a trip to the plant and disagree with them..

FWIW, I have a mate that has worked there for the past 35 years that has passed the information onto me.....So I'd believe him, before I believed you...
I've got a mate in south east North Pole who sells chev badges as well. I'd love to pay them a visit and absolutely waste my time on nothing haha, but cheers. My bad for not knowing that some random place in south Australia, far away from where I live that sells Chev badges for the locals, oh well in all honesty Goodluck to them!
Old 23-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #142
tommof
Starter Motor

As someone who was buying cars in the late seventies I might like to add some comments.

I owned at some point a P76 V8 manual and a E38 Charger. I drove and rode in a mates dads XB Falc 500 250 auto.

E38 was a real weapon with a 3.5 diff. But a bit rough and ready. Uncontrollable in the wet with LSD. Seemed solid and did the ladies love it... Why did I sell it.

P76 V8 4spd with 40K KM was cheap at $1200. Fantastic steering (nonPS) and very VB commo in handling. Really comfortable but build quality on minor stuff appalling. It was easy to keep running with it's mostly Ford (BW, Girling) running gear. Bits falling off eventually killed it.

The 40k KM XB was an absolute slug. With spirited driving 12MPG was possible... Heavy steering and **** bench seat.
Solid, but so uninspiring to drive. But everyone bought one.

For a short time in '81 I owned a mint XY 302 windsor Fairmont. It was a light year away from the XB with light (non PS) steering and real 'drive allday' comfort. Still drank fuel like the XB but was light years ahead in power and smoothness.

And everybody knew that any holden with a 6cyl or 253 was a pig. Nice looking in HQ though.

This of course is all through the eyes of an old Wheels enthusiast who read when Robbo was in charge. He knew his stuff.

To keep this in Ford land, I really like my 60K miles XP deluxe manual. So simple and really feels better than all my old worn out EHs.

And almost forgot my '73 Continental MK4. Sublime 460 with white leather......

Last edited by tommof; 23-04-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: forgot
tommof is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #143
FPV-HSV
previously SMIKXR6

lol at a VE Being the best car!!

I have had 1 VE Calais , 1 VE SV6 , WM Statesman...

Most unreliable cars... Full of issues i brought a FG 2 Days ago best decision i have made!

The 5 Speed's are rubbish , engine issues , electrical faults with sat nav etc.. Also replacement parts cost a fortune!
FPV-HSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #144
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any list that does not contain the P76 , Bolwell Nagari and current Toyotas ( although bland and boring ) simply can not be taken seriously . In all sincerity what does anyone expect from Holden Monthly .
Old 09-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #145
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommof View Post
For a short time in '81 I owned a mint XY 302 windsor Fairmont. It was a light year away from the XB with light (non PS) steering and real 'drive allday' comfort. Still drank fuel like the XB but was light years ahead in power and smoothness.
Great post, completely agree. The XW/Y 302 Fairmonts felt about 10 years 'newer' than what they were compared to contemporaries from the 1970's I drove. Great road car balance, lightness and capable of just chewing the miles up with that lovely note. Some of the best road cars Ford ever made here.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #146
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Won't help unless our Govenermen pitch in $500,000,000.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post