Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #121
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I though that was what a bowtie badge was for......
what is it with you and holdens lately flap??
have a run in with one??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #122
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
have a run in with one??
He has been more 'angsty' than normal.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #123
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well it seems two things are extremely obvious:

1) Almost everyone is thoroughly convinced that driving while talking on the phone is dangerous and it is a good thing that it is illegal.

2) Almost no one can connect the concept "buy this car so you can legally make phone calls while driving regardless of how dangerous it is" as possibly sending a wrong message.
I see your point mate.The manufacturers concept is ,we can offer you a legal way of talking on your phone,and as phone use is so prevalent ,it is another feature and benefit, without the cost of aftermarket hands free systems .
I do not think they are making a statement that it is safer to do handsfree ,but like Ipod connection,it is another technical feature that techno types look for.
Another words , here is our car for $.......00 driveaway that has these features blah blah -compare and buy......
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #124
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
have a run in with one??
What do you mean?

Holdens don't have bowties, they have fluffy cats in a circle.

Some say that the bowties are put on cars as "R" plates seem to be politically incorrect.

Are you saying that the majority of cars that should display "R" plate are holdens?
That is a bit nasty, especially from a GM fanboi.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #125
fangq

[QUOTE=DASH GT]So are handsfree kits legal or illegal?? Thats the big question we are faced with now.

snip

It's all about cabin distraction, and if you are an experienced driver, you should be aware of the dangers, and avoid it where possible. Ever noticed that when you are looking for property number etc, you often turn the volume down on the radio ? Personally, I keep 'em short and sweet in the G6ET hands free. Anything really important, I pull over : it's not as if I can't get back into traffic flow easily :-) :-)
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #126
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

just to add to the mix of a pretty good thread...

snipet taken from v8 supercars website Link

Quote:
"Meanwhile, Irwin Racing driver Alex Davison, who described 2010 as “frustrating”, has urged people to stay off their mobile phones when they are driving.

Besides wanting people to turn off the phone while driving, he also wants passengers to pipe up when a driver is breaking the law.

“I’ve been in a car when the driver has been talking on the phone, we all have; it’s obvious that people are not thinking about the risks,” he said.

“I think we have a duty of care to our friends and family to ensure phones aren’t being used in the car.

“We need to put pressure on our friends and family if they are using a phone behind the wheel of a car. We need to let them know that we won’t tolerate it.”

Research has found a driver is four times more likely to be involved in a collision if they are using a mobile phone."
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #127
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"he also wants passengers to pipe up when the driver is breaking the law"

This will actually help with the "obesity" problem as the passengers will get a lot of exercise walking home.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #128
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The following statement is predicated on using a mobile via proper hands free kit .

What an absolute croc of XXXX . The basic problem here is that the general standard of driving in Australia is so appaulingly low but no one has the balls to come out and say that and call it like it is . People in Australia think it is a right not a privelge to drive an we do not teach peole to drive we teach them how to pass a test ( there is a massive massive massive difference ) . If it was'nt a mobile phone it would be something else distracting the 10% of their cognitive skills they employ while driving while they day dream about whats for dinner tonight or when they are next going to see their significant other or a million other things . The mobile phone usage is just a convenient way of not having to admit they could not drive a greasy matchstick up a dogs **** if their life depended on it . I am a rep and spend 90% of my time on the road and spend an inordinate amount of time on the phone , if I had to stop every time to recieve or make a call I would take me a week to do what I now do in half a day . I shudder to say this as it is kind of tempting fate but I have covered over 2 million kilometres with either a mobile phone or early in the piece ( what must have been a purely evil device ) a two way radio and havent had an accident yet . When Oh when will the nannying stop ? If you follow the basic premise of distaractions causing accidents we wont be allowed to have radios or CD players or any music device , instrument panels , passengers unless they are gagged and their arms in restraints , no advertising signs within sight of a road et al et al et al . I read last night that NSW had its lowest road toll in something like 20 years so where does this theory fit into that inconvenient statistic . For XXXXX sake where does this mindless crap end ?
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #129
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
People in Australia think it is a right not a privelge to drive
No public transport out my way buddy, closest train station is 30km away. Not everyone lives in the burbs' or the CBD.

If I didn't have a car, I wouldn't have a job, simple.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #130
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
No public transport out my way buddy, closest train station is 30km away. Not everyone lives in the burbs' or the CBD.

If I didn't have a car, I wouldn't have a job, simple.

Doesn't matter a hape , the privelge of driving should still only be extended to people who can actually drive . There is no automatic guarantee that someone in a remote area is a competent driver .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post