Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #121
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
It's because Series II seems to be a thing of the past now with car manufacturers. I liken this update to more of an "XF Update" model that saw EFI and colour coded bumpers, think it came out in 1986 (2 years after the XF was released).
XF had EFI with EEC IV in 1984 leaded and 1986 unleaded update models
but I understand what you're saying.....

I think Holden is trying to lead us towards American year models with MY10 rubbish,
I hope we stay with letter codes, it sounds more distinctive than impersonal model Year.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #122
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
What do people except for a series 2 update??

When have we ever gotten anything "big" for a series 2 update from either Ford or Holden EVER?
Ford is throwing a 5L V8 into a series 2. Holden threw in a 5.7L into a series 2.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #123
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just wish Ford would hurry up with the the details about the XR8's future.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #124
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
thats not entirely true
sidi 3.6
sidi 3.0
AFM 6.0
sportswagon!!
Granted all except the 3.6 and wagon were a step backwords :
You're missed the point!!! And the point of those who want 100 differnt changes, which include metal, dash display changes, etc,ect
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #125
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Mazda 3 came out in 2004 and was replaced by an all new model in 2008. The VE has had minor changes such as engines and some small cosmetic changes (especially on HSV models). So, yes is the answer to your questions.
Please remind when the all new FG car come out again?? 2008 same as the 3 you'll find!!.. No changes for the 3 & no-one has a problem!! Yet, the Falcon is already inline for changes!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #126
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Please remind when the all new FG car come out again?? 2008 same as the 3 you'll find!!.. No changes for the 3 & no-one has a problem!! Yet, the Falcon is already inline for changes!!

Then when they do change it, its wrong they should have done this and that. You cant please everyone.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #127
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Then when they do change it, its wrong they should have done this and that. You cant please everyone.
The new bodyshape Mazda 3 came out in 2009 not 2008 in Australia, almost a year after the FG.
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #128
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Im laughing out loud at people thinking the FG should have a restyle already.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #129
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
me too. XF went from 84 - 87 with no restyle (apart from an indicator here, a colour code there), EA went from 88 - 91. The only reason why AUII was such a change over AUI was due to the slamming that the AU got in the styling stakes. The FG is nowhere near ready to have a styling update.
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #130
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

I think its more of indictment of how conservative the FG is in a way. Probably the least change for any new model in Falcon's history. Great, handsome looking car though. If we went from AUIII straight to FG this wouldnt be an issue. Kinda like the change from XF to EA, EL to AU - ie big changes!

I think the FG without a large fleet presence will keep its freshness a lot longer, nothing ages a car quicker than seeing a taxi or fleet version of it on every corner.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #131
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I think the FG without a large fleet presence will keep its freshness a lot longer, nothing ages a car quicker than seeing a taxi or fleet version of it on every corner.
That's good because if it's anything like BA/BF, it won't change much in the next 5 years...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #132
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Supposedly sheetmetal changes in 2012.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #133
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re the Territory, do Ford employ crackpots in their marketing research department? I cannot see how the Territory will gain sales when the TDV6 is released. They've missed the boat by not a country mile - perhaps a continent would be closer to the mark. They'll be lucky to revive sales to it's halcyon days levels.

Mitsubishi saw what was going on in the 4WD market and brought forward the new Triton some 6 months (along with the release of the Challenger) before they had intended for the models to be released. They simply did not want to give up any market share to their competitors.

I've this feeling that Ford will not be able to capitalise on the EB4 and TDV6 once released. I suspect they'll loose too much market ground to their competitors. Buyers will not wait, nor will they trade to a new model simply because an EB4 Falcon or TDV6 Territory has become available.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #134
G6E Turbo 2

I still believe Ford need to step up their warranty
5 years / 150K is what is required

That would put lots of pressure on Holden because
the VE spends lots of time being repaired under warranty
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #135
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
I still believe Ford need to step up their warranty
5 years / 150K is what is required

That would put lots of pressure on Holden because
the VE spends lots of time being repaired under warranty

Not the same thing, but Ford commercials including all variants of Falcon ute have for a limited time a 5 year 200,000km warranty. I love that kind of confidence in a product.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #136
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

How about matching Hyundai's 5 year unlimited km warranty? If you have confidence that you have "the best Australian sedan ever made", why not?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #137
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

So, before these changes, the XT was rated to 9.9L/100km, with the ZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
  • Optimised cold start and warm up calibration
  • Optimised hot idle calibration
  • Revised pedal progression in line with Ford global DNA to provide a more progressive and linear launch profile
  • Minor transmission shift schedule changes for optimised upshift and cruise gear selection
  • Enhanced Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (DFSO) for optimal urban fuel economy

And after these ^^ changes, it's still 9.9L/100km?

G6E improved 0.2L/100km, so I would imagine Ford had the opportunity to brag about this as 9.7 sounds a lot better than 9.9 for the XT. Another bullet in the foot.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #138
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

G6E improved 0.2L/100km, so I would imagine Ford had the opportunity to brag about this as 9.7 sounds a lot better than 9.9 for the XT. Another bullet in the foot.
I'm thinking that Ford didn't bother to retest all models with 6-speed auto,
they probably just went with XR6 or G6 figures across the board...
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #139
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

I suspect the re calibration changes listed were already done when the 9.9 l ZF XT was released last year, because it got the new cat and re tune to get to those levels, and it was rumoured it was already Euro 4, just not certified. They have now used this spec across the range.

In essence they haven't done anything to the 6 speed XT that wasn't already available 6 months or more earlier.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #140
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I suspect the re calibration changes listed were already done when the 9.9 l ZF XT was released last year, because it got the new cat and re tune to get to those levels, and it was rumoured it was already Euro 4, just not certified. They have now used this spec across the range.

In essence they haven't done anything to the 6 speed XT that wasn't already available 6 months or more earlier.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit, Ford have a habit of having answers in the bag ready to go..

Thanks for the info Bossxr8..
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #141
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just thinking id hate to own a 5speed auto FG in a few years, since it had such a short model life there just wont be the spare parts, replacements, 2nd hand ones or even the experts to diagnose and fix them.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #142
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I was just thinking id hate to own a 5speed auto FG in a few years, since it had such a short model life there just wont be the spare parts, replacements, 2nd hand ones or even the experts to diagnose and fix them.
There may be a few ZF's lying about waiting to be fitted...
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #143
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The 5 Speed Manual and the Conical Pod Filter in the BA XR8 was short lived too. I don't see there being any problem with parts or expertise on those.

Lot's of nitpicking going on here.

Lukeyson
Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #144
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Same box that's about to be replaced in in Mustangs, Explorers and US Rangers.
Not sure whether US Ranger will shift to 6-speed auto like US Escape or just drift along...
Either way, there's plenty of spares out there, US shift kits and performance stuff too.
I woudn't worry at all about owning the 5R55 box, most will be fine and get rebuilt like the old 4-speeder...
Old 11-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #145
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That's good because if it's anything like BA/BF, it won't change much in the next 5 years...
I think you can blame FoA's leadership at the time for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Not the same thing, but Ford commercials including all variants of Falcon ute have for a limited time a 5 year 200,000km warranty. I love that kind of confidence in a product.
Personally I think Ford should be putting more effort into marketing the ute. There was a time in the not too distant past where the Falcon ute was the vehicle of choice for tradies. Now all I see everywhere are Hilux 4x2 'Workmate' utes.

Its reputation for toughness alone sold them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #146
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Personally I think Ford should be putting more effort into marketing the ute. There was a time in the not too distant past where the Falcon ute was the vehicle of choice for tradies. Now all I see everywhere are Hilux 4x2 'Workmate' utes.

Its reputation for toughness alone sold them.
Work mates are $21,990 drive away, about $8,00 cheaper than a falcon Ute.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #147
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you can blame FoA's leadership at the time for that one.
Ford has spent their cash, there is only room for minor adjustments from now on.
Unless the US pick up the platform, it will get minor dust off here and there until 2015.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #148
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Work mates are $21,990 drive away, about $8,00 cheaper than a falcon Ute.
Hmm. Do they come from the Thailand plant?

Pretty difficult price point to compete against.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #149
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed. While the Falcon Ute may be more expensive, it's much more car-like and can handle anything you can throw at it. Holden are in a position where their utes are pretty much show ponies, which I have no objection to, but Ford have the ability to truly market the ute as a genuine workhorse. It doesn't effect the sedan resale as much, and also gets the ute back into that arena. Very good point mate. Perhaps a diesel option here would be of benefit, I'm not so sure Ford could put the EcoBoost in it and market it as a work horse.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #150
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmm. Do they come from the Thailand plant?

Pretty difficult price point to compete against.
They sure do but but so does Ranger only there's no petrol equivalent...