Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #121
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Yellow...

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0707-zzg3.html

Quote:
Yellah terror for new Commodore VE Series 2 TOBY HAGON
July 7, 2010 - 10:34AM

Bright yellow will return to the Holden colour palette for the soon to be unveiled new Commodore Series 2.

A new bright yellow colour will be added to the Holden Commodore palette with the arrival of the VE Series 2 in September - and here it is, well, almost.

A keen Drive snapper spotted the yellow development Commodore parked in Port Melbourne, looking bright and suspiciously close in hue to the yellow used on Melbourne's taxis.

Holden sources say the yellow VE Commodore our spy spotted isn't the exact colour that will appear on the new VE Commodore Series 2 within months but that it's "very close, without being identical".

The new yellow VE Commodore Series 2 will be the first yellow Holden Commodore or HSV since the HSV VZ ClubSport and Maloo of five years ago.

Australian-made car have a history of bright yellow hues.

Ford has tried some, while Holden had a distinctive yellow in its classic Monaro.

In 1995, HSV famously released its GTS-R, which had dark carbon fibre features set against a taxi-yellow paint job called XU-3 Yellah.

The new Holden VE Commodore Series 2 will bring a raft of changes to freshen what is still the best-selling car in Australia.

The V6 engine will be tuned to run on E85 fuel - a blend of petrol and up to 85 per cent ethanol - as well as other significant mechanical changes to improve fuel economy and environmental performance.

The VE Commodore Series 2 will bring the first notable visual changes to the VE Commodore since it went on sale in 2006.

Inside, too, the Commodore will be updated, with various interior grades to separate the models, from the entry-level Omega and Berlina to the luxury Calais, Calais V and sports SV6, SS and SS V.

Sports models will get a new dash with distinctive eyeball-like air vents on top.

At least some VE Series 2 Commodore models will also get an advanced touch screen display, while Holden is said to be working on iPod and iPhone integration to ensure the younger generation that's typically shunned Australian large cars is potentially tempted by fresh technology.

The Statesman and Caprice limousines will also be updated.

HSV is also expected to tweak its range of V8 powered performance cars.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #122
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
With so much talk about the VE update, why isn't there much talk about the updated FGs that were due from July 1?

Still curious to see if there have been any styling changes made at all (however minimal).
FGs didnt get an update.. The only change was the upgrade to six speed auto, Ipod and Bluetooth standard across the range and a new cat converter.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #123
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
FGs didnt get an update.. The only change was the upgrade to six speed auto, Ipod and Bluetooth standard across the range and a new cat converter.
So no styling changes at all? I've noticed the 50th anniversary XR models have what appear to be XT/G6 tail lights now instead of the clear type.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #124
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
So no styling changes at all? I've noticed the 50th anniversary XR models have what appear to be XT/G6 tail lights now instead of the clear type.
Thats only for those cars.. Just like the indicators in the mirrors. The standard non anniversary packs still have the original mirrors / tail lamps.

Definately no changes, the only change I have noted is a new Dot Matrix windscreen that goes down around the rear view mirror, otherwise they are pretty much the same as they were back in 04/2008.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #125
Falcman0o7
Banned

Right....Changes? changes you cannot see.

Typical dumb **** GM.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #126
sxckevo
Ford motor company

I saw that yellow bucket in ferntree gully about three months ago I thought someone just got a custom job

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #127
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Only Drivel could come up with almost a whole article dribbling about a new colour for Holden. Holden themselves would probably only dedicate a small paragraph to it in a press release.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #128
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Only Drivel could come up with almost a whole article dribbling about a new colour for Holden. Holden themselves would probably only dedicate a small paragraph to it in a press release.

Agreed, but the comments are pretty funny though. The referencing it to a taxi is hilarious and my favourite one was:

Quote:
...comes standard with Beaded Seat Cover but not available with Air Conditioning.
Classic.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #129
Chopped
as in chopped

I havn't seen one VE or FG Taxi.

I've seen plenty of V6 Camrys as Taxis though.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #130
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped

I've seen plenty of V6 Camrys as Taxis though.
there are a few here in geelong

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #131
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

i've seen a few fg & ve cabs near melb airport, most fg's are the first of the xt's with the wheel caps but i've seen an increasing number of fg xr6 & g6 cabs...
i could be wrong but as time goes on & the used car / auction market grows with g6 & xr's, i think we will see plenty of them on the road as cabs & alot less xt's as cabs..
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #132
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I see tons in Melb. Funny enough Chapel st you can see all sorts of Taxi's.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #133
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Yeah well could have been an issue but considering the VE update is quite minimal, Ford can probably breathe a sigh of relief.

Holden will have to contend with some pretty impressive stuff from Ford next year. It's good to be on the Ford side i'd say.
Don't forget holden has rolling updates. Expect new engines with updated transmissions and for VE to go on a diet next year.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:57 AM   #134
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Don't forget holden has rolling updates. Expect new engines with updated transmissions and for VE to go on a diet next year.

Stoney!
So they keep saying. Problem is their rolling updates thus far have been far from impressive and have not kept pace with their competitors in key areas. I suspect the same for the 'new' engines.

The 3.0 SIDI will never get down to the fuel burn numbers from the 2.0 EB I4 in the FG next year. Just wont' happen. The 3.6 SIDI has not shown it can measurabley best the Ford I6 niether. If the TT V6 (2.8L size i believe) ever turns up it will not be any use versus either the I6T or future Ford TT V6s (ecoboost duratec etc.). I suppose Holden could use the 2.8TT as a top level engine (in SV6 etc.) where it may be good fit.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #135
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

The twin turbo is actually a 3.0TT, and who knows where they will decide to slot it, the 3.0TT in BMW's is used in two different ways, a 225kw 400nm small capacity turbo using only 8.4L/100k's (wow!!) IN A 5 SERIES (535i), this mean its a small engine taking the place of, lets say a 4.0 but would still be better than such because its boosted power.

Or a higher output version in the heavier 740i with 240kw and 450nm from 1200-5000rpm (WHOA!!!) Still using a miserly 9.9L/100k's so has room to move power wise.

To be honest I'm not holding my breath on the ecoboost, prove me wrong but I'm thinking unless you drive the car like grandma to keep it off boost the fuel saving will be negligible. A turbo engine is only more efficient than larger engines when you can eep it off boost, should be great of freeway, one again as long as its mainly flat, and the aspirated power of the engine is good enough to keep it at a set speed.

Yeh I agree the 3.0 is not suited to the application what so ever, and if the 3.0TT does replace the 3.6, replacing the 3.0 it would be a god send.

The 3.6 has actually shown it can be very good on fuel for its output numbers, it's the 3.0 that has failed to prove itself, and wont because the engine is too small and the harder you accelerate to get a vehicles power (i.e. honda) the more fuel you use, this is where ecoboost will suffer I think.

However on that note VW do great with the 1.8turbo Passat and Skoda superb, but then again these engines are designed by VW, not ford, and VW have been making small capacity turbo' and turbo diesels successfully for some time now. Not to mention they have more intuitive DSG transmissions, and are front wheel drive in such format.

Stoney!

Quote:
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #136
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!

However on that note VW do great with the 1.8turbo Passat and Skoda superb, but then again these engines are designed by VW, not ford, and VW have been making small capacity turbo' and turbo diesels successfully for some time now. Not to mention they have more intuitive DSG transmissions, and are front wheel drive in such format.

Stoney!
Tough to prove that argument. I'm sure the Ford engineers would take offence to be honest at your insinuation that they were 'not as good as VW' especially considering the ecoboost tech is atcually 'newer' than what VW has got going now for some years. Either way if it works for VW i don't see why it wont' for Ford. Moreover, if you look at what the EB 2.0 has been doing in cars like the S Max and mondeo in europe it is showing that it can burn meaurably less fuel in both government tests and real world. I'd agree the real world tests were not as impressive (though still beating the rival cars bigger engines) as the lab tests but then again most of the journos admitted to 'hammering the living daylights' out of the test cars because the engine was just so 'punchy'. In day to day driving (esp in traffic) you won't be able to stay on boost for more than a few seconds frankly...

Speaking of the S max i was watching a review recently that put its DSG auto box as 'better than the VW Audi group DSG'....primarily because it was smoother and picked the right gear better. So that looks good for Ford too....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #137
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Yet in australian reviews they named the powershift in the diesel focus rubbish in comparison....

Stoney!

Quote:
Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #138
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Of course they go well, that is the thing with turbo engines they have a good amount of torque over a wide rev range.

I don't see why you take such offense to the above comments, regardless of the ecoboost being a so called newer technology. Vw's 1.8 turbo is actually quite a new design and the engine in the new golf Gti is only just as old as the ecoboost if not newer. VW have been doing turbo engines for years and years and would have a lot more knowledge on the ideas, not to mention better funding for a much larger group of companies. The 1.4 turbo/supercharged in my golf being a brilliant example, but we aren't here to talk about VW's.

By the way, by saying being on boost earlier, I didn't just mean flat out, the turo works even at cruising just more so as you sink your foot. The car will use more and more fuel the more the turbo is worked, obviously. So saying it could only ever be on boost for a few seconds is silly.

Stoney!

Quote:
Old 13-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #139
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/73888/ho...rior-revealed/

Quote:
Holden Commodore VE2 SS V-Series and Interior Revealed
By Paul Maric | July 13th, 2010

Following on from our recent images of the Commodore Berlina VE2 and Commodore Omega VE2, we are pleased to reveal the Commodore VE2 SS V-Series, in addition to the interior it will feature.

In addition to tucked in headlights similar to those of the Berlina and Omega, the SS V-Series receives a revised halogen projector headlight cluster. Our inside spy suggests that sport variants will have the option of featuring tinted headlight and tail-light clusters, adding to the sporty feel.

Computer generated image by Joshua Byrnes.

Revised fog lamp clusters and a revised front bumper bar will give the SS Commodore a rejuvenated feel. Revisions to the rear end are less visible, with minor changes to the spoiler structure, now with a greater rake angle. The other major change is a small boot-lip spoiler, which will be fitted across the range.

Inside the cabin, the Commodore VE Series 2 will receive a major revision to the centre cluster. A revised screen will sit higher up and will feature full iPod and iPhone integration (similar to the FG Falcon), in addition to a higher resolution touch-screen.

Siemens VDO is responsible for the current integrated satellite navigation console in the VE Commodore and has been tasked with the Commodore Series 2 integrated console.

Computer generated image by Joshua Byrnes.

At a press conference earlier in the year, Siemens VDO CEO, Zoran Angelkovski told CarAdvice that Siemens VDO had signed a deal with Holden that would see the German manufacturer supply the new touch screen to Holden from June.

Mr Angelkovski told CarAdvice that Siemens VDO had designed the new system to allow Holden to utilise some features currently seen in European vehicles. He also said that there will be three grades of complexity ranging from Omega to Caprice, each featuring touch-screen capability.

In addition to E85 capability on all its V6 engines, Holden is like to up the power output of the SS and SS V-Series, giving them a better chance against Ford’s soon to be supercharged XR8. Power output is expected to rise to around 290kW, with Active Fuel Management (AFM) remaining available across the V8 range.

A new Gen V V8 engine will join the Commodore range once it becomes available in the USA, in around two years time.

What are your thoughts on the new SS Commodore design? Is it aggressive enough? What about the new interior, does it suit the Commodore?
Old 13-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #140
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG, that interior is terrible... And I'm not saying that becuase I have Ford glasses on... That is a deal breaker.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #141
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It's not too bad. Apart from that stupid handbrake and red leather of course.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #142
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The front end look's better than the old that's for sure.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #143
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
OMG, that interior is terrible... And I'm not saying that becuase I have Ford glasses on... That is a deal breaker.

Sure about that? Looks good to me, especially the red leather.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #144
BOSHOG
avenge me

that interior looks better than anything ford has released in Australia besides a GT-P, and maybe the cashmere in a G6ET

edit; i dont like the red, but i like the style
Old 13-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #145
XR8putts

It's a rendering, not a photo people. The interior will be identical to the current VE bar the centre console - and it's not looking that great.

They've tidied up the front of the VE, which looks better than the current version. Also the option to darken the front and tailights could look quite good too on sports models.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #146
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

haha bug eyes in the middle of the dash looking back at ya !! reminds me of Jar Jar Binks lol
Old 13-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #147
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
that interior looks better than anything ford has released in Australia besides a GT-P, and maybe the cashmere in a G6ET
Too bad you can't see out of it with those massive A-pillars. I hope they finally rectify it when they release it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #148
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsy351
haha bug eyes in the middle of the dash looking back at ya !! reminds me of Jar Jar Binks lol
you just ruined it for me! all i see is that stupid Jar Jar lol
Old 13-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #149
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Unhappy

Slightly off topic , but who here has driven a VE ute ???

I had the work ute for three days and OMFG lane changes were an absolute nightmare, blind spots no matter where you positioned the mirrors to lane change and whiplash from makin sure it was safe before doing so !!

Are the sedans like this ??

I dont care about the looks, i want to be/feel safe driving the stupid things ...........

And i expect to be driving a few at work shortly......
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #150
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Not a ute, but the A-pillar's blind spot in the sedan was atrocious.

David, they won't (can't) said blind spot. You won't get til there's another clean sheet design. There is an easy fix for it, though. It's called the M-F1 modification.