Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #121
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger77
I sometimes wonder why a single-issue Drivers Party has not been set up, especially in NSW, where election to the Upper House is the easiest in Australia.

The idea would be in general to support the government of the day, of whatever complexion, but to bargain its vote to get progress on a small number issues of interest to drivers.

You need only 4.55 per cent of the vote to win a seat in the NSW Upper House, the Legislative Council.

(Here's how you work it out. Of the 42 seats, 21 come up for election every 4 years. So the quota for election to a single seat is 100/(21+1)=4.545. Like the Senate)
I guess digger77, it's far easier to get on here and complain about what everybody else is not doing.Particularly when those people who are "not doing anything" are the very people we voted in to do "nothing", and whom we couldn't be bothered voting out and replacing with someone who will do something.
Old 14-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #122
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Jeez how fast are you driving down eastlink....
Just noticed that ..... and I thought everyone else was just damn slow!!! Good pick up :P

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #123
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The first step to allowing our roads to take a higher speed limit would be to get everyone who drives a camry, echo, Yaris, Aurion or a corolla, and stick them straight away into driver training for 6 months. Doesn't matter who they are, their cars tell us volumes about their mediocrity in life. Means they're mediocre drivers, and the very people who will not handle a higher speed limit.
What about the cost?
Well, that can be mitigated by taking videos of these people learning how to drive, then stick it on the internet. Oh, and add the Benny Hill theme to every video; sure to get maximum laughs then.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #124
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
The first step to allowing our roads to take a higher speed limit would be to get everyone who drives a camry, echo, Yaris, Aurion or a corolla, and stick them straight away into driver training for 6 months. Doesn't matter who they are, their cars tell us volumes about their mediocrity in life. Means they're mediocre drivers, and the very people who will not handle a higher speed limit.
What about the cost?
Well, that can be mitigated by taking videos of these people learning how to drive, then stick it on the internet. Oh, and add the Benny Hill theme to every video; sure to get maximum laughs then.
I wanted to just insert , but the message was too short, so ??
Old 15-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #125
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
What about the cost?
This from someone who drives a dugong.......

I am very impressed in Holden and their ground breaking approach to road safety with the new SIDI commodores. In the current issue of WHEELS Holden have demonstrated a new and very clever methodology to prevent future generations of fully sick P platers from hurting themselves by making the SIDI Berlina 0.3 seconds slower over 0-400m than a Camry Hybrid.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #126
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently thought a good idea would be to create signed entrances to 130-140kmh zones so it would make people wake-up and take seriously. Have a massive sign at the start which says:

Entering 130kmh zone
Keep left unless overtaking - heavy fines apply
Headlights on 24hrs: See and be seen

Even without these signs I honestly think that the higher speeds will make people keep left more and drive more aware of the surroundings. In Malaysia which I hear doesnt have a stringent license system the city roads are pretty messy, but as soon as you get on the highway and some people are doing 160kmh (or much much more) driver attitudes improve immediately as the higher speeds force people to be aware - slow cars keep left out of the way, people use indicators properly.

Hearing that driver attitudes need to change in Australia is a real cop-out as its the low speed limits which cause the current attitudes to begin with! And it is a lame excuse to avoid re-think of the speed limit strategy on our highways.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #127
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I recently thought a good idea would be to create signed entrances to 130-140kmh zones so it would make people wake-up and take seriously. Have a massive sign at the start which says:

Entering 130kmh zone
Keep left unless overtaking - heavy fines apply
Headlights on 24hrs: See and be seen

Even without these signs I honestly think that the higher speeds will make people keep left more and drive more aware of the surroundings. In Malaysia which I hear doesnt have a stringent license system the city roads are pretty messy, but as soon as you get on the highway and some people are doing 160kmh (or much much more) driver attitudes improve immediately as the higher speeds force people to be aware - slow cars keep left out of the way, people use indicators properly.

Hearing that driver attitudes need to change in Australia is a real cop-out as its the low speed limits which cause the current attitudes to begin with! And it is a lame excuse to avoid re-think of the speed limit strategy on our highways.
All good except the mandatory headlights.

While this is mostly a good idea it is extremely dangerous at sunrise and sunset if you are travelling towards the sun.
It is hard enough to keep a track of the road with the sun shining in your eyes without the silouette of an oncoming vehicle being hidden by headlights.
Old 15-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #128
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
All good except the mandatory headlights.

While this is mostly a good idea it is extremely dangerous at sunrise and sunset if you are travelling towards the sun.
It is hard enough to keep a track of the road with the sun shining in your eyes without the silouette of an oncoming vehicle being hidden by headlights.
Not to mention that there will be morons driving around with their high beams, which might not be an issue out in the open country but if it is anything like the freeways atm then it can be VERY annoying/distracting/dangerous.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #129
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think most peoples level of attention when driving is very low. they are half a sleep thinking of something other then concentrating on driving. and i am sure they are only looking as far as the car in front or maybe 50 m down the road at best. there brain must work that slow, it's like 1 sec 2 sec 3 and then some sort of dam fool pathetic incompetent reaction is displayed to avoid a collision.
And when you tell someone of the keep left on the highway rule. you get why should we. and they just can't work it out.
And how many time have i seen some old goat sit on 70 to 80 in the 100 zone and then when ya come in to a 60 zone you see the goat caching up to ya or trying to pass, blissfully unaware of everything around them.

Or like last night some schmuck blocks me from passing him and a wobble box in the right hand merging lane. i think it was because he thought because he would not attempt it in his gutless car no one else could have a go. and i had a truck behind me wanting to go as well. and the ones that speed up when you are overtaking!
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #130
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When this was brought up with Brumby for the 1st time he dismissed it instantly, no questions asked and went into a rant about speed kills etc..
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #131
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm
When this was brought up with Brumby for the 1st time he dismissed it instantly, no questions asked and went into a rant about speed kills etc..

I hate that dismissive crap. Cant we have an intelligent debate on the merits of an alternative way of doing things without sprouting buzz words and populist rubbish.

I have never been so political or anti-government until a certain political party started to run all the states. Growing up I couldnt care less what a government did or did not do as to me it didnt really change anything - not any more.

Last edited by Brazen; 15-06-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #132
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm
Of course he did......

Ever tried convince a Holden bogan that Ford make good cars?

Anything that does not agree with your religion is a lie and the Government's religion is TAX......
Old 15-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #133
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
I wanted to just insert , but the message was too short, so ??
Try driving in Sydney around suburban streets and see the common theme of moving road blocks and bad driving. Then you may not be as dismissive of my equally brilliant and practical plan.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #134
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I agree with skaife 100%

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #135
rodderz

Seems it may be gathering a bit more interest than just the speeding part. On the radio today a few coppers expressed their interest in developing a new driver training program and how what we currently have is inadequate

Nice to see some people look past only one aspect of the story and skip the rest
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #136
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/70446/ma...-on-deaf-ears/

Quote:
Mark Skaife’s European approach to road safety falls on deaf ears
By George Skentzos | June 15th, 2010

Mark Skaife, Australian V8 Supercar driver and Holden Ambassador, has come under fire from Victorian Premier John Brumby after presenting a proposal to make Australia’s roads safer by employing a more European approach to speed and driver training – a view long held by CarAdvice.

In his proposal, Skaife highlights the fundamental flaws of Australia’s current road system including the desperate need for improved young driver training and increasing the number of safer cars on our roads.

Unfortunately with the demonization of speeding engrained in the minds of Australian motorists and politicians, Skaife’s suggestion to bump the national speed limit up to 140km/h has become the sole focus of the proposal with Premier Brumby saying that it would have a “catastrophic impact” by sending the death toll soaring.

“We have no plans to change the speed limit,” Premier John Brumby said. “You will never lower your road toll if you have a top speed limit of 140km/h — indeed, if you drive at that speed in Victoria you will lose your licence. It is a hoon driving offence.”

Following years of road safety campaigns convincing the Australian public that “every kay over is a killer”, the proposal is struggling to gain momentum in parliament with Deputy Commissioner (Traffic) Ken Lay backing Premier Brumby in rejecting the plan.

This has left Skaife noticeably frustrated with the majority of his opposition misinterpreting the core initiatives of his proposal to improve the standard of safety on our roads.

“He’s missed some of the critical pillars of what I was saying — improved driver training, better roads and maintenance and encouraging people to drive safer cars,” Mark Skaife said.

“Don’t just focus on the one thing that is controversial, focus on the other items that are critical to road safety, the things we have to do to make a difference and then comment on whether the 140 limit is appropriate,” he said.

Skaife has cited the German approach to road safety as the benchmark for which Australia’s current system should be judged, pointing out that despite having no speed limits on parts of its freeway network Germany still remains at the forefront of road safety.

He also emphasised that the lack of driver training coupled with the fact that younger motorists are less likely to be able to afford newer, safer vehicles is the main reason why P-platers are still so well represented in Australia’s road toll.

Despite boasting the statistics to back the common-sense initiatives he proposes, Skaife’s words have fallen on deaf ears with the majority adhering to the ’speed kills’ mantra and immediately condemning his suggestions.

In contrast, the government has formulated its own campaign to stem the road toll in the form of the new Hoon laws which continue to punish and condemn offenders after the fact rather than instigating a proactive solution to save lives.

Source: Herald Sun
Old 15-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #137
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that`s about the reaction expected from these blokes, don`t change anything , just keep promoting a system of high revenue, high road toll, low qaulity driver skills.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #138
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in a decade I forsee it faster to get from place to place on a pushbike due to greater speed than in a car, speedlimits will never ever ever go up, they will tumble in an attempt to maintain the revenue they have now that will dwindle as the masses become programmed to travel at a given speed then the speed drops and the cycle repeats speed cameras save lives and all the other rhetoric they spew whilst they maintain/increase their revenues, the system is a smelly anus.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #139
sleek7

Bah, to hell with our goverment.....I'm moving to Germany :P
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #140
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Not to mention that there will be morons driving around with their high beams, which might not be an issue out in the open country but if it is anything like the freeways atm then it can be VERY annoying/distracting/dangerous.
High beams eh? At least they have some sort of lighting on..
So many drivers i see in the middle of the night with no lights on at all..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #141
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Of course he did......

Ever tried convince a Holden bogan that Ford make good cars?

Anything that does not agree with your religion is a lie and the Government's religion is TAX......
spot on.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #142
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know what the most disgusting things is?

the state governments know this (like we do) but they are chosing revenue raising over saving lives. There is no doubt lives can be saved with better training and an emphasis on safty (not looking at your speedo as you go through a busy 4 way intersection because there is a chance you might be doing 67kmh not 60.)
If it was just incompitance on the governments behalf thats one thing - but to know and still choose $$$ over lives is basically criminal in my eyes.

I would love someone to blindside a politician at a debate and highlight this to the masses. How do people not get this?
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #143
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

John Brumby is such a complete and total one eye bafoon. He totally missed the point of what Skaife was saying. It make me irate when people you expect to listen, DONT!.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #144
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
John Brumby is such a complete and total one eye bafoon. He totally missed the point of what Skaife was saying. It make me irate when people you expect to listen, DONT!.
Yep!! They will always stick to the speed kills mantra because it's easy money for the gov't. Nothing else matters.

Skaife is absolutely right but the pollies have almost demonized him. You'd thing Skaife wanted 140km/h limits on ALL roads the way Brumby is talking.

I know who I'd listen to........

Pfft.... Brumby and his team of muppets better enjoy it while it lasts, come November it's off to Centrelink for them!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #145
Stealth00

Vote 1 Mark Skaife
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #146
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

this thread has made its point, keep it on track as it's close to being closed
Old 16-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #147
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Site T/C, Note 1.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/announc...nouncementid=2

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #148
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
So really we should not be discussing..'speed..' as its a controversial subject since Skaife spoke about raising speed limits on some roads. Many have come out with the usual speed kills mantra.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #149
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
So really we should not be discussing..'speed..' as its a controversial subject since Skaife spoke about raising speed limits on some roads. Many have come out with the usual speed kills mantra.
No Mo .... the discussion point is fine but its the way these threads drift towards a political discussion with the original point being lost ......

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #150
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok,I was hoping that was spoolmans point its the usual grey area...step to far one way and ....lockwood.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post