Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #121
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NSW Cyclists Fined $1.33m in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
For someone who is supposed to be ignoring what other people think of you, you spend an extraordinary amount of time on here argueing against what others think and put in writing on the forum. Not logical!
I agree with you 100%.....but you may be a little elitist ...apparently. Well at least that is what I was told I was!

Last edited by XByoot; 28-11-2016 at 06:03 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #122
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1966 View Post
I got big hair bit like gene Simmons don't ya think I'd look silly in Lycra heels or frocks budd. my right bugger the public hey
I would like to thank you for not doing that. If you can play it could be a great stage act
Old 28-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #123
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
15 years a professional sportsman. More than a few triathalons behind me.
What do you wear during cycling and running legs of triathlons ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #124
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Elite cyclists are... the 50yo stopping for a latte and a selfie every 30min definitely isn't.
That is a stereotype that you want to believe - i attend weekly racing sessions and there is a largely populated veteran racing scene . Fitness levels are high and grades are from A to F. There are many different types of cyclists just like in any other group of people .
On recovery or social rides some groups do end up in a local caffe. Personally never participated in those and have been riding for 30 years. As for lycra , it is the only option if you are going to ride bikes seriously. No different to any other sport really - function for intended purpose.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #125
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Elite cyclists are... the 50yo stopping for a latte and a selfie every 30min definitely isn't.
and whats wrong with that, i take some pics aswell. I enjoy posting them. I love seeing what people around the world are doing via instagram etc with some cool videos and pics. I do it mostly for fun. As for latte yeah not for me!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #126
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
As for latte yeah not for me!
Missing out man, good coffee is one of lifes simple pleasures
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #127
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Still dont see the correlation with the 2, but anyway ill let you have it.
Did you not see my comment about doing it for the enjoyment? .
Reckon most folks gave reading it a miss after you went off callin him a w4nker budd.
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #128
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52
For someone who is supposed to be ignoring what other people think of you, you spend an extraordinary amount of time on here argueing against what others think and put in writing on the forum. Not logical!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
I agree with you 100%.....but you may be a little elitist ...apparently. Well at least that is what I was told I was!

Reading comprehension not one of your strong suits?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #129
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
What do you wear during cycling and running legs of triathlons ?
We all use to wear normal everyday running shorts & singlets for the swim, ride & run, only stopped to put shoes on after swim.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #130
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

man there is a lot of 'triggered' responses when it comes to functional clothing intended for the desired sport.

I cop a dig from my mates that dont ride on occasions, but I laugh it off. i don't wear it because of some fashion statement, I wear it due to its functionality, comfort and breathability. I laugh even harder when my mates ride their $100 kmart bikes around the block with their kids and complain of bollock or asscrack pain in their stubbie shorts and wife beater. So what?

Next time I see a dude wearing AFL footy shorts, thongs and a beer gut walking down the street, I'm gonna hurl abuse from my drivers window or while riding my bike for showing his flys eyes/moose knuckle at everyone (yes some blokes do wear them this way and its disgusting ). Sounds fair ay....

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #131
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
man there is a lot of 'triggered' responses when it comes to functional clothing intended for the desired sport.
Why do these people spend so much time checking out MAMIL's, are there no woman in Australia to look at
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #132
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Why do these people spend so much time checking out MAMIL's, are there no woman in Australia to look at
Not worth the trouble mate
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #133
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Probably better than your ability to ignore others opinion as you stated old mate.

For the record I've enjoyed a bit of banter with you ,but this whole topic really is going nowhere except around in circles . I have lots of other things in life that I get more out of than bantering here so I wish you all the best. If you have the need to pick apart what I'm about to say then fill your boots.

It certainly hasn't been a waste of time for me,I hit the old mountain bike yesterday after a long break,did 25 km yesterday and a quick 15 today after work. Not huge but good enough for what I'm after,and in my old gym basketball shorts and shirt with little discomfort.. Why don't I do more riding? I had a pretty good bust up on my mountain bike about 8 years ago and tore the ligaments in my shoulder (very common impact sport injury). Although I was OK on a bike my upper body strength was crap which didn't do me any favours on impact....lesson learnt!!

I was lucky enough to be introduced to a trainer via my surgeon and physio who had been an elite level athlete and had also played pro baseball. His gym was basic,no flash machines to be seen but he quickly taught me you can do an amazing amount of exercise with very little gear,he could probably give virtually anyone a comprehensive workout using nothing more than body weight. He also competed in triathlons and his equipment was nothing exotic by the standards of today. I guess I've learnt the lesson that I don't need all the gear to achieve my goals.

Since I moved up the coast cars,life but mainly cars have made me a bit slack with the exercise,which is really disappointing ,so thanks fellas,I'm back off my butt and puting the car aside to spend more time exercising. I have only been averaging about one or so sessions a week recently which isn't good enough.

What's all this to do with Lycra? Probably not a huge amount,but at least you know I do actually lead an active life. If my riding ever reached "Lycra worthy" levels then it will be covered by my old exercise shorts . I wear my underwear under my pants and my Lycra under my shorts. If blokes need to buy flash bikes,spend up big on gyms or whatever it takes to get off your a$$ then go for it,if that what it takes to get you moving that's great ,personally I don't need it and have better things to spend my money on (cars and my other half seem to keep the bank balance humble) .

We are all members of this society and obviously all have different needs and builds and I totally respect that. But the flip side is respect for society in general,it's not about me,you or him...it's about our society and respecting that.

To me it's the little things to show respect to others,stuff like emptying ashtrays in the streets,dressing appropriately for the environment youre in and similar are all signs of respect. Blokes that park bikes on footpaths and make it difficult for pedestrians and prance about like peacocks aren't much better,sorry I'm sure it's "your right" like its "your lane" but there's others trying to use the same space,pretty simple courtesies really. Anyways,rant over and good luck to all and your chosen form of excercise ,do it with respect,passion and success .

Last edited by XByoot; 28-11-2016 at 10:50 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 12:23 AM   #134
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Probably better than your ability to ignore others opinion as you stated old mate.
Well no, my comment, in context, was about me not caring about others opinions of me while out riding my road bike in the appropriate gear, hence my comment about reading comprehension.

Forums are about participating in discussions. It can be hard to judge the tone of some comments but generally, it goes ok.

I'm pretty passionate about cycling. I accept it's not for everyone but when I read comments the say cycling for weight loss is a waste of time then I'm going to defend cycling every time.

The sad fact is, cyclists will continue to be judged by the small minority that do the wrong thing.
Old 29-11-2016, 12:27 AM   #135
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ride a mountain bike at least 3-4 timers a week, I just wear my gym shorts and t shirt most of the time, most often with my steel cap work boots, unless it's cold then it's my K Mart trakkies and $5 jumper.

I wear the same for running and gym sessions, seems to do the job just fine.

I have mates that wear specific lifting shoes and fancy gym cloths to the gym to do squats and dead lifts etc, I train bare foot and still lift more for warm up than their max, so not sure I need $350 lifting shoes, I just keep training in my $5 K Mart shorts, t shirt and bare foot.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 01:53 AM   #136
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I ride a mountain bike at least 3-4 timers a week, I just wear my gym shorts and t shirt most of the time, most often with my steel cap work boots, unless it's cold then it's my K Mart trakkies and $5 jumper.
Exact same here. The work boots grip the pedals better than any of my other shoes.

Quote:
I have mates that wear specific lifting shoes and fancy gym cloths to the gym to do squats and dead lifts etc, I train bare foot and still lift more for warm up than their max, so not sure I need $350 lifting shoes, I just keep training in my $5 K Mart shorts, t shirt and bare foot.
Yep, the same setup has always worked just fine for me. I've literally always trained barefoot wearing a singlet and boxer briefs... yes, it's probably a good thing I have a home gym. The only "accessory" required is chalk for grip. Fine powdered rockclimbing chalk is good stuff.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2016, 02:29 AM   #137
xr8cam

People complain of having time poor lives these days, and use it as an excuse for their diets and exercise.I believe cycling is a waste of time to lose weight because you need to devote so much more time to get the results other options provide in less time with less cost & associated dangers. In order to get a good 'burn' with a bike, you really need to push yourself. The natural 'pedal & coast' nature of cycling means it is easy to rest making it harder again, to be an effective weight loss method. I am not suggesting it is wrong or that your any lesser of a person if you do ride a bike, any exercise is a good thing. If you have loads of time, great but most don't and don't want to have to spend money to do it..People want results "now" and for little commitment. Look at the popularity of the personal trainer & the groups you see at local parks. 2-3 short sharp sessions a week with no gear to purchase, no membership, no dealing with dirty equipment or bad hygiene. Cheap & cheerful. We all have different needs & ideas of what is best, just as we are all entitled to our opinion, and like someone once said, "opinions are like ars-hol-s, everybody's got one"

Last edited by xr8cam; 29-11-2016 at 02:44 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 03:37 AM   #138
prydey
Rob

Yes, cycling isn't a cheap option but for many cyclists, losing weight is just a side benefit and not the main reason to ride.

Also like any exercise or weight loss program, you only get out what you put in. If you just coast around on a bike, then yes, it won't be as effective as other activities. I stand by the fact that cycling burns more calories than walking for the same time period, if working the heart to the same level. Numerous studies back this up.

I'm not saying its the only option though. Time isn't really a factor as you need to spend just as long walking to get similar results, so using time as an excuse is not a very strong argument. I accept the cost argument though. It can be expensive and on going costs are also higher.

Having said that, if you choose to cycle to work, the cost argument gets much stronger as it's weighed up against the cost savings of not running your car.

To each their own.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #139
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
..... unless it's cold then it's my K Mart trakkies and $5 jumper......
You just reminded me of a crack-up from earlier this year. One of my MTB mad colleagues rode the few km to work for a couple of days in winter while his car was being smash repaired.

On the 2nd day I spotted him coming in the driveway - trakkies tucked into his socks to avoid them getting mauled in the chain. Dunno what's a worse look....

Definitely function over form!
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #140
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dragging the bottom of the barrel with personal insults now! That usually happens when someone offers logical response to an ill conceived point of discussion.

I ride motorbikes, pushbikes, drive cars and trucks. I used to race motorbikes and Karts but I certainly don't put on my race suits to ride my motorbike or drive my car on the road. As for my pushbike I HAVE A VERY COMFORTABLE SEAT ( capitals for emphasis, not yelling ) and don't need to wear racing clothing on the street either so I don't. My bits don't get sore either.

As far as posers are concerned they are quite easy to pick out in any category.

On motorbikes they are usually the ones wearing gear like the 1%ers trying to look tough and won't give you a wave as you pass. They are too kool for that!

In cars, well if anyone on a car enthusiast forum can't figure that one you are in the wrong place.

And on pushbikes! Enough said about that one in this thread already.

Even in golf you can pick them. The saying goes "all the gear and no idea".
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #141
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
The saying goes "all the gear and no idea".
This happens in almost any hobby Ive noticed. In the car scene, I know of people who just have coin to buy other peoples completed project cars and claim it as their own work. It makes them look like try hards to me. Do I harp on and bag them because they didnt do all the work themselves? The machine looks great but they rarely have a clue on how it's supposed to drive and what to do if something goes wrong. They just like the fact that it attracts enthusiasts attention and claim glory for it. Do we condemn those?

The amount of times Ive seen a cashed up white collar professional riding his $7k+ bike 10km to the cafe on a Saturday morning to show off his ride and to meet up with his mates is unprecedented. But I DGAF because if it means they get some enjoyment out of their hobby/life, then so be it. That is their choice and who am I to bag them for it because it doesn't fit in with my ideology?

Agree respect is the key thing missing from threads like this. Have a dig on occasions yeah, I get it. But getting stuck into someones reasons for not meeting up with your own ideology is pushing the boundaries. Lets agree to disagree but show some respect in the meantime.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #142
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't condemn anyone! I just observe and choose to give a wide berth if the situation doesn't suit me !
4 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #143
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I don't condemn anyone! I just observe and choose to give a wide berth if the situation doesn't suit me !
Sorry if this sounded like I was pointing this at you directly. I wasn't, just that your point of 'all gear and no idea' rang true for many instances Ive seen.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #144
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even in golf you can pick them. The saying goes "all the gear and no idea".
Haha, fantastic saying. I'll have to remember it.

Quote:
Exactly. It's the best place to be.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #145
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The pinnacle of all gear no idea is the cashed up person who drops $10K on camera gear and leaves it in auto and assumes it'll take a great shot!
Old 29-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #146
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
The pinnacle of all gear no idea is the cashed up person who drops $10K on camera gear and leaves it in auto and assumes it'll take a great shot!
hahahaha, spot on!!!! The amount of times I see this incredible.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #147
xr8cam

Quote:
Yes, cycling isn't a cheap option but for many cyclists, losing weight is just a side benefit and not the main reason to ride.

Also like any exercise or weight loss program, you only get out what you put in. If you just coast around on a bike, then yes, it won't be as effective as other activities. I stand by the fact that cycling burns more calories than walking for the same time period, if working the heart to the same level. Numerous studies back this up.

I'm not saying its the only option though. Time isn't really a factor as you need to spend just as long walking to get similar results, so using time as an excuse is not a very strong argument. I accept the cost argument though. It can be expensive and on going costs are also higher.

Having said that, if you choose to cycle to work, the cost argument gets much stronger as it's weighed up against the cost savings of not running your car.

To each their own.
I will never agree with cycling 5 x a week @ 20mins being more effective at weight loss than hard walking same frequency. A person needs to cycle 5 x the distance of that of a runner to get the same benefit. Period. The two use different muscle groups & have different oxygen uses. If you choose to cycle to work, there are as many pros & cons as public trans or driving. That's it from me. Greener pastures and all that.

Last edited by xr8cam; 29-11-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 29-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #148
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I don't condemn anyone! !
perhaps look back at post #120.
Old 29-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #149
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha Ha Ha. You have a very interesting interpretation of condemnation. Now, really I know you are joking. Quite funny actually!
Old 29-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #150
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that bang for buck running gives better/quicker results.. But running also sucks balls.

Least cycling you get a sense of speed, you can cover decent amounts of ground (which also is an achievement in itself) etc.

I went from 100kg to 69kg within a year from no other changes than just beginning to ride. So I wouldn't say it doesn't work.