kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 08:26 PM   #122
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Picked up a new D-Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Not a lot of them understand the consequences.....you go over the GVM no insurance plus everyone's life's put at risk , insurance companies go through them with a fine tooth comb and anything can catch you out low rated tow balls brake systems Tyre ratings etc
A colleague told me a few years ago, his son worked for a large insurance company they had a rise in claims of Tradies driving HilLux's, Rangers etc rear ending other vehicles.

They started weighing the vehicles and they were overloaded.
As you posted no Insurance and big bills to pay.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 08:34 PM   #123
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
A colleague told me a few years ago, his son worked for a large insurance company they had a rise in claims of Tradies driving HilLux's, Rangers etc rear ending other vehicles.

Classic.
I was in a Kfc car park the other day.
Parked beside me was a young fella and his gf sitting in a Colorado consuming their kfc.
The Colorado was really high big lift job.
I said how much did it cost.
He said I did it my self cost was reasonable.
I said how would you go for insurance.
He said.
Not real sure on that one.

Classic
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 08:35 PM   #124
GT1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
SZII territory also has pretty bad Headlights, was the FG any better? sorry this argument doesn't stack up.
Yeah Vesper, I have an FG and my wife has an Everest (which I assume has the same headlights as Ranger). The difference in headlight performance especially on full beam is incredible (in favour of Falcon).
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 09:07 PM   #125
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

at it's very peak, Falcon ute just barely topped 20,000 sales per year (in 2004). Ranger is consistently double that year after year. just sayin'
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 09:14 PM   #126
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post

Wonder how long it will be before the authorities start defecting all these 4x4s with their illegal overwidth tyres.As the law is no more than 25mm track increase per side.Some must be at least 100mm,needing flares to cover the tyre#
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 09:38 PM   #127
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Wonder how long it will be before the authorities start defecting all these 4x4s with their illegal overwidth tyres.As the law is no more than 25mm track increase per side.Some must be at least 100mm,needing flares to cover the tyre#
Bingo !!

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 11:03 PM   #128
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Honestly no different then someone putting a set of 20x10s on the back on a XR6 turbo.
Try and find a modification done to a vehicle that can't be deemed illegal in some way?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #129
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Honestly no different then someone putting a set of 20x10s on the back on a XR6 turbo.
Try and find a modification done to a vehicle that can't be deemed illegal in some way?
yep agreed......
All the decades as I mentioned earlier we had our utes lowered to the max, wrong wheel tyre combos, rust, over powered dangerous under braked the dual cab is picked on the opposite.
Another point due to dual cabs popularity and far more practabilty it has out sold our utes x 2 times as mentioned.
Sure some owners are pushing the boundaries in compliance human trait but we're getting very nanny by some here.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #130
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
Yeah Vesper, I have an FG and my wife has an Everest (which I assume has the same headlights as Ranger). The difference in headlight performance especially on full beam is incredible (in favour of Falcon).
No issue with full beam on the Territory either, but the FG has the same Projector lenses the Territory has I believe and they are like Candles.

Your Everest may have auto levelling headlights dependent on the model. so more advanced

either way both are designed by Australian engineers.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #131
prydey
Rob

Quote:
No issue with full beam on the Territory either, but the FG has the same Projector lenses the Territory has I believe and they are like Candles.

Your Everest may have auto levelling headlights dependent on the model. so more advanced

The thing is though, when driving at night in more rural areas, you can't have too much light. I don't drive a lot in the country so when I had my FG I fitted a light bar to a number plate mount thinking I'd only fit it when required, and then remove it after. The reality was, I never took it off. Who can be bothered. My territory I fitted a light bar behind the grill but the fact is, I still fitted one. It doesn't matter how good the factory lights are, they are never enough if you're out in roo country.

My only gripe about the fitment of extra lighting is the lack of conforming to the rules and the lack of law enforcement by the authorities. Otherwise extra lighting is the owners choice and can come in very handy, even if it's only a few times a year.
Old 31-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #132
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

I found the lights in my FG (Halogens) rubbish so i did the unspeakable and fitted LED's
Also not sure how handling of a falcon ute comes into it. They are hardly the epitome of handling i can attest to that, not driven a ranger etc though.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2022, 10:43 AM   #133
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s all over for the iconic Australian ute; even the artwork for Deni features solely current “style” vehicles.

(Bottom of the page.) …I believe next year the driving challenges will be replaced by a Pomeranian grooming contest.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #134
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s all over for the iconic Australian ute; even the artwork for Deni features solely current “style” vehicles.

(Bottom of the page.)I believe next year the driving challenges will be replaced by a Pomeranian grooming contest.
Finally a challenge I can get excited about!
Old 31-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #135
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
at it's very peak, Falcon ute just barely topped 20,000 sales per year (in 2004). Ranger is consistently double that year after year. just sayin'
..and it had Commodore ute and very iffy, mostly Japanese brand utes at best described as utilitarian in nature to compete with back then whereas Ranger has a far greater number of opposition brands up against it today....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #136
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Do you really need all that crap for a weekend away.
You would think they would make this stuff quick release so you can take it off for the weekdays, would save a few buck in fuel I would imagine or is it pose value.
Like the ones that cover the thing completely in mud then wipe a piece of the windscreen clear with the wipers and drive around for months like that , hoping it won't rain......look at me I'm a real 4x4er

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #137
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
rocking from side to side when travelling.
Probably rocking with 4X4 accessories.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2022, 06:42 PM   #138
MrEL
Sick Puppy

It's gold on this forum how people get up on their high horse and have their say about things , but when someone makes a reply goes against what they think , they edit the full amount of what you said and have a narky comeback.
Seriously is this a Ford Forum or the NRMA open road forum?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2022, 08:44 PM   #139
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i have a pursuit 250, sy2 territory and a px2 ranger. id pick the ranger 95% of the time as its the most versatile, territory if i really care about the rear seat passengers and the pursuit least as its really only good at using fuel to make noise (i do like it the most)

also, stop caring about what people like in a vehicle.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2022, 10:45 PM   #140
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzji7m50ENc

sorry I've been on a binge from this channel, those things are a crime against humanity
Old 31-08-2022, 10:53 PM   #141
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey when do the tax incentives in favour of dual cab utes end? Next recession, or earlier?
Old 05-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #142
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Nah but I've driven every Falcon ute from an XF onwards up to an FGII.

Sounds like the 2022 Ford Ranger has finally caught up to the ride and compliance of the AU Falcon ute

Out of curiosity, what did a PG Ford Courier ute cost new for a povvo spec 4x2 and what was a povvo spec tray back AU Falcon ute worth?

Curious to see the turn around in pricing, say compared to FGX tray back ute to PXII/PXIII Ranger 4x2 and now that there's no Falcon what the new Ranger in povvo spec 4x2 is worth.
Back in the day a PG was no comparison with an AU, you'd buy an AU any day of the week if you are comparing comfort, safety and even fuel consumption. Price wouldn't even come into it.

PX/FG was the beginning of Ranger being a great country traveller, it began to be on par with Falcon as well as comfort, safety and being diesel fuel consumption. And lets not forget visibility, something everyone seems to get upset about being they ride higher.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2022, 06:58 PM   #143
hayseed

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what did a PG Ford Courier ute cost new for a povvo spec 4x2 and what was a povvo spec tray back AU Falcon ute worth?

back in April 2002 I bought a new (Aug 01 Plate) PG Courier 4x2 Povo Pack with A/C

$20,490 Driveaway... On Business Rego..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2022, 07:09 PM   #144
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

that's 32k today with inflation. a new ranger but base is now a hi ride with auto is 40 driveway, that's not to bad considering how much moree vehicle you get, lets call it 35 if it was a low manual, 32 would be possible if they had year old stock and not selling everything
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #145
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
Yeah, prior to all the tax incentives too.

If you took those away would they be so popular? There was a reason the trajectory of the Thailand Special went ballistic in that era and it wasn't because they're particularly 'good vehicles'.

Also Toyota has been at the top of the sales market for a very long time, just because they're very popular that doesn't equate them with being 'good' - they're whitegoods and even Toyota realises they have to do something about their image to attract the next generation or they're in trouble.

Kinda like Harley Davidson, geriatrics hardly buy motorcycles and they buy even less when they're dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Back in the day a PG was no comparison with an AU, you'd buy an AU any day of the week if you are comparing comfort, safety and even fuel consumption. Price wouldn't even come into it.

PX/FG was the beginning of Ranger being a great country traveller, it began to be on par with Falcon as well as comfort, safety and being diesel fuel consumption. And lets not forget visibility, something everyone seems to get upset about being they ride higher.
A PX Ranger is a lot better but it's still no way near on par with an FG/FGX ute, they don't ride, steer, go or stop anywhere near as well as a Falcon ute, you can really tell the difference in a car park when steering a Thailand Special with how many turns of the wheel you have to make.

The other side of the coin was if Ford Australia was killed in the AU era like the plan was then you wouldn't have had Ford Australia's input into the Ranger, for the Ranger to be the best in its class you needed the Falcon and its shoe string budget and the engineers at Ford Australia working miracles.

Take away Ford Australia's input into the Ranger and you'd have a Mazda B-series clone.

The fact that the Ranger is sold in 180 markets, has a global engineering team working on it with a MUCH bigger budget and is still second rate to a Falcon ute is laughable, it's just the best one out of all those third rate Thailand Specials.

What was Ford Australia's budget for the FG - $500M?

What was the budget on the new Ranger?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-09-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2022, 08:06 PM   #146
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

If you took those away would they be so popular? There was a reason the trajectory of the Thailand Special went ballistic in that era and it wasn't because they're particularly 'good vehicles'.

Also Toyota has been at the top of the sales market for a very long time, just because they're very popular that doesn't equate them with being 'good' - they're whitegoods and even Toyota realises they have to do something about their image to attract the next generation or they're in trouble.

Kinda like Harley Davidson, geriatrics hardly buy motorcycles and they buy even less when they're dead.

A PX Ranger is a lot better but it's still no way near on par with an FG/FGX ute, they don't ride, steer, go or stop anywhere near as well as a Falcon ute, you can really tell the difference in a car park when steering a Thailand Special with how many turns of the wheel you have to make.

The other side of the coin was if Ford Australia was killed in the AU era like the plan was then you wouldn't have had Ford Australia's input into the Ranger, for the Ranger to be the best in its class you needed the Falcon and its shoe string budget and the engineers at Ford Australia working miracles.

Take away Ford Australia's input into the Ranger and you'd have a Mazda B-series clone.

The fact that the Ranger is sold in 180 markets, has a global engineering team working on it with a MUCH bigger budget and is still second rate to a Falcon ute is laughable, it's just the best one out of all those third rate Thailand Specials.

Ford happily shouted that the BA Falcon was a $500M project, easily trouncing the $250M VY Commodore.

With FG, Ford kept the development budget hushed, I think it would have been in the range of $500 to $750M. Obviously, Holden told anyone who would listen that the VE Commodore was a Billion dollar project, so understandably Ford didn't want people to know that Falcon was less new than the Commodore.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2022, 09:39 PM   #147
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A Falcon ute wasn't designed to drive on global roads as varied as a German autobahn to bouncing over rocks or towing up to 3+ tonnes in any way that a Ranger is expected. No unitary body vehicle can realistically be compared to a body on frame and expect anywhere near the same NVH, ride or handling capabilities. Plus Falcon was built only really for Australians, Ranger is built for 180 markets which have far more diverse requirements....hell even the Yanks realized their US-based team couldn't do Ranger with all the differing global requirements.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2022, 11:02 PM   #148
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Because they take them out on weekends? Out near me they are everywhere getting them muddy.
Main roads out of the blue mountains on a Sunday is full of muddy 4wds with all the gear.
Rarely ones that are new enough to still have a warranty.
I've done a fair bit of camping and proper 4x4ing. To the point where one of us will get stuck almost every time we go out.

Hardly ever see modern 4x4's with $20,000 worth of accessories on these tracks.
We see them at the camp sites though. Maybe they just leave after us in the morning and return to camp before us in the afternoon and only go on tracks we don't use.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2022, 12:13 AM   #149
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Rarely ones that are new enough to still have a warranty.
I've done a fair bit of camping and proper 4x4ing. To the point where one of us will get stuck almost every time we go out.

Hardly ever see modern 4x4's with $20,000 worth of accessories on these tracks.
We see them at the camp sites though. Maybe they just leave after us in the morning and return to camp before us in the afternoon and only go on tracks we don't use.
Sounds about right.
Last trip I took the RTV wagon on, with a mate in his Hilux was a back road to the camp ground. Massively rutted, muddy, overgrown etc Took ages but was heaps of fun.
Get to the camp ground and there's all these done up late model dual cabs that took the easy track. There was a Triton there that I reckon would have struggled anyway because of the massive overhang of the towbar.
Mate in the Hilux was getting caught up a bit on his rear bar, but no issues with the Falcon
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2022, 09:29 AM   #150
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
No unitary body vehicle can realistically be compared to a body on frame and expect anywhere near the same NVH, ride or handling capabilities.
I beg to differ, as a person who owner operated several H and one W series Holden panel vans everyday doing high speed courier work.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post