Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you flash your lights to warn other drivers of cops ahead?
Yes! 340 84.37%
Fruk Them 63 15.63%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 01:53 AM   #121
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
Bloody oath i flash my lights when i see a camera, i have been saved by other considerate people doing so and its just common courtesy, only wowsers would disagree.i would rather do a coupla ks over and make my own way instead of being caught behind losers who go under the limit it causes roadrage,just overtake them. :
yes my god, exaclty the same thought pattern as me, its not the theory of "I don't speed so it doesn' tmatter to any other people"
You only have to be 3km's over and your caught, thats very easy to do espeically in a 50zone going down hill, I thank all those people who give warning of a Flasher, there was a camera the other day on Galleghers rd in Glen Waverley Right on the hill going down fromthe roundabout, and this hill is very very steep, its soo hard to maintain 50kms coming around a roundabout down a steep hill,
Makes me very very ANGRY! when i see things like that...
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #122
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
In NSW.
As i know someone who flash and get caught i was just behind him,
i ask him why did the cops pull him over he said
that becos he flash his lights to warn other drivers.
Hmm if you were to use your normal headlights to flash instead of highbeams, what can the coppas get you on? How is that a hazard or danger to other drivers(highbeam i can understand) but normal globes?.....some cops just want to book you for anything
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #123
red_hotxr6
Banned

Yes well 99% of the time, if the person is absolutely flying nope that is an accident going somewhere to happen and that person just does not deserve to be on the road, otherwise i will warn them.Also i am in 2 minds on this, why cant the police at least half of the times they are out on the road just be there as a "presence" so that motorists see them when they are speeding and go, geez i was lucky today i didnt get a ticket, 9 out of ten times they will drive at the speed limit for the rest of there trip.At least the motorist want take a hard line with the police and say that all they are doing, is revenue raising.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #124
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
It is illegal to flash your light to tell other drivers
if there is a radar system is operation.

This will cost you 3 points off your license can't remember how much the fine was now if you were to get caught,
i always wait till i pass for about 2 to 3 km out of sight
then i flash and warn them.
But is it illegal to flash your lights.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #125
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
Yes it is.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #126
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
High Beam = Illegal

Normal Lights = Legal

My dad was on a stretch of road where he had just passed some cops who were catching ppl for speeding.
My dad was flashing others to warn them about cops being up ahead and wouldn't you know it, A cop was on the other side of the road and they flashed us back.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #127
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do a lot of driving in my line of work, I tend to only flash truck drivers, now since when im on the open road I always drive with my lights on I don't flash I normally turn my lights off and on a couple of times.
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #128
Flouro_Joe
Banned

I flash my lights at speeding drivers when there are NO cops, it makes them slow down and makes the roads safer. When there ARE cops I don't flash because isn't it against the law to do so?
Flouro_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #129
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Yes well 99% of the time, if the person is absolutely flying nope that is an accident going somewhere to happen and that person just does not deserve to be on the road, otherwise i will warn them.Also i am in 2 minds on this, why cant the police at least half of the times they are out on the road just be there as a "presence" so that motorists see them when they are speeding and go, geez i was lucky today i didnt get a ticket, 9 out of ten times they will drive at the speed limit for the rest of there trip.At least the motorist want take a hard line with the police and say that all they are doing, is revenue raising.
I was driving down the M4 today and everyone was doing 85km/h in a 90km/h zone cos there is a cop car in front i just put my foot down and do 100km/h and overtake the cop and after i did that a lot of cars just follow me.
Everyone seems to be driving very slow when they see a cop car,
but when the cops are not around those cars are doing F1 speed as they though that is conrod straight.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #130
cupic
Nikon

Comin home on the F6 from Sydney and I followed a Cop car doing 110-130km/h and as he overtook car doing 90 in a 110km zone I saw no need to overtake him.Some do have a sense of humor.
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #131
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

I always flash, Always get a polite wave, and I appreciate it when others do the same in return.

Speed cameras dont slow anyone down, they dont save lives, they just cost you money and make you more paranoid on the road and a more unsafe driver.

If I do creep over the speed limit, Seeing a camera causes me to hit the breaks, this could be disaster if the person behind me isnt paying attention in peak hour. or I could even be the one behind that gets distracted by the bright flash at night

Speed cameras distract me from paying attention to the road, instead of focusing on my surroundings, I all too often find myself looking to see if theres any speed cameras around and checking my speedo every 5 seconds to make sure I dont cop a fine for being 5 ks over, rather than simply driving at an appropriate and safe speed and dedicating all of my focus to the road and other vehicles around me like I should be.

Theres always someone who is exsesiveley over the limit, and driving like an idiot, but IMO theres a difference between driving stupidly, and speeding, and that difference cannot be determined by using a camera - hell, going too slow can often be worse! Even accidents that are caused by speeding drivers are probably the result of innatention as opposed to the speed itself. plenty of accidents are caused by non-speeders, and plenty of speeders cause no accidents.

This is always a controversial topic and I realise the line has to be drawn somewhere, but if police realy wanted to slow people down, they would be driving marked cars in obvous positions with brightly coloured "speed camera ahead" signs - Not parked behind a bush in an unmarked car with a little blue sign 500 meters after youve already been booked. that is just revenue raising!

if you are unlucky enough to get the ticket, you figure, "jeeze, beter not be late to work today, cant loose the pay, need the cash for the fine" so you speed again, and get anouther fine - its a vicious cycle which encourages more speeding.

flashing is an Aussie tradition, like lamb on Australia day. I agree that to not flash is simply un-Australian. That simple flash is more likeley to save a life then a hidden camera, and will udoubtably put a smile on the face of the oncoming motorist and save him/her a few buckeroonie$!

Do the right thing, and flash away Australia!