Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #121
Thunder Kiss

FG wheels/tyres look disproportionately small to the large size of the car.
Time to move up to VE Commodore size wheels/tyres.
Thunder Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #122
wadexr583

I think the G series are standout's (and the old Fairmont and Ghia names arn't as missed as I thought they'd be). I think the darker colours really like the G series, especially an Ego G6E. The brighter colours look good on the XR series (maybe biased but Nitro's the best hehe). The XT's are just that, XT's. A very nice contempory large car. I love how it looks smaller then it really is. Parked next to my mates VS commo the FG dwarfs it.

Interior wise they are bloody marvelous. Although pushing climate buttons/CD track buttons left and right seems at odds. I think dials or vertically stacked buttons would be a bit more at harmony with the rest of well executed design. Minor issue though.

I don't understand the steering wheel button complaints, they are shaped so that you feel which button you're pushing, like everything else about the car (any car in fact) its just takes a little time to become familar.

I think the Ute's tub is dumb, its funny how Ford design seemed so restrained in the rest of the models but seemingly took their eyes of the designers of the tub. The wheel arches stick out way too much, even with the 19's on mine it looks silly from the back angle. It looks like its copped a hit up the bum and pushed the gaurds outwards.

I think the FPV's are far too weak, lack of visual presence to me is their biggest handicap. If they looked a lot more aggresive I reckon they'd sell better. The premium FPV/HSV market owes much to visual statements. Unfortunately for FPV, HSV really raised the bar with the E series (although dropped it by going too far with E2). I hope the rumours arn't true about FPV wanting to go even more restrained! If you want restraint, buy a Camry.

Oh and I still think do away with GT-p and GT-e names. Call them something different. The GT falcon should be the king. Not entry level.

Overall a clean, (mainly) well executed design thats just let down by a few minor design oversights/unfinished bits.

Wade

[EDIT] 100 posts! Wahoo

Last edited by wadexr583; 23-11-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: wahoo 100 posts!
wadexr583 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #123
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA77
I also love the rear end. To me the tail lights almost look like an eagles head side on. Best rear end of any falcon IMO
same here, the rear end is the best part for me
Old 23-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #124
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I agree with most. I feel the tail lights are a bit tacky/ricey but other than that no complaints.
So factory non-led lights with a coloured lense is rice now?

:

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #125
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The G6E is a sensational looking car, especially with 19s. It almost looks like part of the Aston Martin range.

The XRs nose has grown on me and looks sensational in certain colors, although I find it mismatched with the the 'G6' bodykit that the XRs come with. Every XR up to BF had a look at me bodykit, but the the FG is too subtle.

The ute tub has grown on me but theres something cheap about the tail lights and re-hashed tail gate.

The FPVs look sensational (even though they are, like the XRs) a little subtle in their looks. The Panda eyes (love them or them) add drama to the front end without looking as cheap and nasty as E2 HSVs. Some new 19s and 20s would be nice though (as many have said)

Im impressed with how well the FG fits in with the family styling of the Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, but still retains its Falcon-ness.

Overall the FGs arent as blokey as a B-Series or the VE but I think the design will age extremely well.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #126
boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
It's called the "hockey stick". It would be a nice touch, but it would also need to blend in.

A lot was talked about FG's Euro look when it was released, and that it was a step away from the traditional American/Aussie large car with the rugged, muscle car looks. Although it has been difficult to instill this muscle-car character in the FG XR/FPV range, overall the Euro theme has been a success. This is why the G series looks so bloody good; the FG was made for it.
Yeah, some call it a 'kick up' others a 'shoulder hump' the point is it is a nice touch. Yes we all get the whole euro styling thing, but as I said falcon runs the risk of looking a little too mondeo/taurus while means someone might get the bright idea that they could just replace the falcon with a Taurus/Mondeo. Mustang had a very smiliar straight shoulder line before the latest addition of the curve in the 2010 model, which leads me to think that it could be done with the fg design, which would aline it with mustang design wise as opposed to Taurus/Mondeo, and since Mustang with always be rwd ... you get my point.
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #127
kezzer

I understand what yall mean with the E2, but its still an effin sexy car, looks like the E1 but with abit of steriods!!

I would love to see the FG FPV abit more beefed up american looking, add some shakers etc from factory!!
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #128
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris
Yeah, some call it a 'kick up' others a 'shoulder hump' the point is it is a nice touch. Yes we all get the whole euro styling thing, but as I said falcon runs the risk of looking a little too mondeo/taurus while means someone might get the bright idea that they could just replace the falcon with a Taurus/Mondeo.
We both agree it has the Euro look to it, but the most overwhelming theme is it looks like a Falcon more than anything else, thus there is zero risk of it looking like a Taurus (I don't know why you think it looks like a Taurus). And there is only a very slight resemblance to the Mondeo, only due to it's kinetic theme, and that is at head-on only.

Other than that, it has elements of B-series, AU, EA, and even XF. It couldn't be more Aussie Falcon. It's overall silhouette is unique to anything in the Ford catalogue. It is, after all, the "unique" Aussie Falcon. FG holds this mantle very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris
Mustang had a very smiliar straight shoulder line before the latest addition of the curve in the 2010 model, which leads me to think that it could be done with the fg design, which would aline it with mustang design wise as opposed to Taurus/Mondeo, and since Mustang with always be rwd ... you get my point.
The (slight) kinetic elements it has are there for a reason, so as to move away from the "old" and give FG a chance with the "new". Same reason why the "Fairmont" badge was dropped. This decision, as I said earlier, was a very purposeful one that wasn't made in 5 minutes.
In other words, it doesn't need to align itself with anything bar the "kinetic" design, as well as retaining a strong Falcon dna, which it does.

Mustang is Mustang and it's a niche and unique in it's own right. You can't copy it, otherwise the result would look half baked. Do you see ANY car in the Ford stable that looks like a Mustang? A kick up hockey stick with a coke-flavoured shoulder hump would also make FG look like a Camaro.
Old 23-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #129
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People say that they don't like the rear...

Well, name a rear you do like?

I reckon the rear looks fantastic. It's rounded but not overly, and I love the rear lights.

I can name a few cars with worse rear lights:
Holden Commodore (esp at Omega/Berlina level)
Holden Cruze
Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla Sedan

The thing about this thread is that it comes down to opinions, and you know what people say about opinions...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #130
500SEC

One thing I hate about the FG is it's interior colour options. That is, there are none. Some relief is offered by the magnolia leather of the G6E, but why can't Ford offer some lighter/interesting colours across the range? It's where you spend most of your time. I will NOT buy a car with dark a grey interior. Never ever. Where else in life do you tolerate grey as the main colour scheme? Does your house decor feature any grey themes?? I think not.

My base model BFII ute has a great colour scheme (yes, some dark grey, but with tan coloured accents to lighten things up).
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #131
boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
We both agree it has the Euro look to it, but the most overwhelming theme is it looks like a Falcon more than anything else, thus there is zero risk of it looking like a Taurus (I don't know why you think it looks like a Taurus). And there is only a very slight resemblance to the Mondeo, only due to it's kinetic theme, and that is at head-on only.

Other than that, it has elements of B-series, AU, EA, and even XF. It couldn't be more Aussie Falcon. It's overall silhouette is unique to anything in the Ford catalogue. It is, after all, the "unique" Aussie Falcon. FG holds this mantle very well.

The (slight) kinetic elements it has are there for a reason, so as to move away from the "old" and give FG a chance with the "new". Same reason why the "Fairmont" badge was dropped. This decision, as I said earlier, was a very purposeful one that wasn't made in 5 minutes.
In other words, it doesn't need to align itself with anything bar the "kinetic" design, as well as retaining a strong Falcon dna, which it does.

Mustang is Mustang and it's a niche and unique in it's own right. You can't copy it, otherwise the result would look half baked. Do you see ANY car in the Ford stable that looks like a Mustang? A kick up hockey stick with a coke-flavoured shoulder hump would also make FG look like a Camaro.
I agree totally with what you are saying and it's not that I think that the Falcon looks exactly like a Taurus or Mondeo, but like you said it's the 'Kinetic' design elements that would mean that with a few design changes it could end up looking like either one of those vehicles. Keeping in mind the whole 'one Ford' idea, if Falcon has to share a platform with another ford car which do you want that to be, if Falcon keeps on looking euro then we might end up with a mondeo/Taurus.

Mustang is unique, however you don't have to copy it, just add elements of the design into Falcon, remember XT XY falcon design were based on mustang and they are legendary. Mustang has never been so popular since it has gone back to it's design roots, both Falcon and Mustang lost popularity the further they got away from those early designs visually.

Many people say to me that the ve commodore looks more like a muscle car than Falcon does, and since commodore outsells Falcon and is driven by bogans etc then maybe they're right, so if Falcon was to look a bit more american muscle car (mustang being the most popular) then maybe Falcon will get back on top of sales and performance and ensure it has a future.

Most executives who want a large euro performance car will by a BMW, Merc, Falcon can't compete with that, give the public something different, get back to it's roots, worked for Mustang.
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #132
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to look at a company that there cars age well its AUDI A3 & A4

The shape hasent changed much in the last 10 years and they age super well and most people cannot tell if its a 2009 or a 2000 model as u can change lights and make them look very similair.

Ford should do this as then it wont cost as much to re develop a knew car and people upgrade easier as there used to the shape and they notice the knew modern sytling and knew features it has.
Old 24-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #133
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
So factory non-led lights with a coloured lense is rice now?

:
They are way to bling for the rest of the car, except for the G series. So yes they look out of place on most models.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #134
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I am still not much of a fan of its appearance, but I wouldn't complain if given a high-series one.

Too much front overhang, panda eyes still odd to me (even when body coloured and it's just subtle lines), rear lights are too flirty, side skirts need to be bolder, side scallop seems insufficient, G6 E looks too bright with all the chrome and mesh.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #135
Tavers

I wasn't overly keen on the look when they first came out, esp the rear.

But it has grown on me and now I own one I do love the look. I think bigger wheels are needed to fill the arches. I think it could also benefit with darker tail lights. But as a whole I think it's a nice upgrade over the BA/BF.

I like the steering wheel the most. It's a lot bigger and feels nicer than the BA/BF ones (Stock).
Tavers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #136
HLC
Audi S3

My Dad's FG GT gives me a fat everytime i look at it, let alone every time i drive it. and he's had it 14 months now. love the look of it. 2 thumbs up
Old 25-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #137
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually like the sedans tailights - they remind me of a medi-evil knights helmet for some reason.
The ute tub is getting out of controll, they should have started afresh instead of adding a few lines and throwing on new tail lights - which im glad they got rid of the old F250 lights. - bring back the one body ute I say!
The interior needs changing - especially the dash, that plastic strip thats supposed to look like carbon fibre above the glove box makes me ill every time I see it.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #138
wagnman

I LOVE my Shiluette G6ET.

The FG has the best falcon body style since the XB IMHO.

I love the way FORD has been able to deliver a large car that "looks" smaller tham it really is, making it look taught and muscular.

The curves on the body are fricken HOT! not over done with huge flares and tacky body add ons like some other car makers do.

The interior is spot on, I love the black interior and light colour roof lining it looks brilliant. the only thing I would like to change in my G6ET is to have a little more bolstering in the seats - yes, yes, yes I know it is supposed to be a luxury car but you can have a well bolstered supportive seat that is very luxurious too. The G6ET seats are just a little too flat for my taste and driving style.

The front end and rear ends are bloody great looking and I think you would really have to get picky to complain about any thing too much on the G6ET.

I think the XR's are a little plain looking compared to the BFII models though, the more rounded look has taken a bit of the toughness away from them.
wagnman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #139
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
bring back the one body ute I say!
And throw away the tradie market Holden can't sell to with their utes, with no load capacity and non-removable tub.

Ford won't do that.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #140
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
And throw away the tradie market Holden can't sell to with their utes, with no load capacity and non-removable tub.

Ford won't do that.
picture this. nitro super pursuit with a one tone tray. tradesman porn
and ill make it a manual
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #141
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Default Church Of Climatology

After today's pathetic decsion on an Extra Tax Sytem for Australians, we know for sure that Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull are both members of the Climate Change Church.

They are fanatical Fundamentalist Mother Earth Worshippers and put their earth worship above everything else.

How did a such Laboral person get to be Leader of the Liberal party?

What hope have we as a Nation with leaders like these two clowns

Only time will tell if they are both members of the One World Government Church after Copenhagen.

Krudd for UN?
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #142
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski
After today's pathetic decsion on an Extra Tax Sytem for Australians, we know for sure that Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull are both members of the Climate Change Church.

They are fanatical Fundamentalist Mother Earth Worshippers and put their earth worship above everything else.

Only time will tell if they are both members of the One World Government Church after Copenhagen.

Krudd for UN?
...ok.

I think the FG looks great. Maybe because they still seem new to me I often catch myself checking one out in traffic.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #143
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski

Krudd for UN?
Man your really ticked off...LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #144
zyweik

lol.. Walt Kowalski that was so random.. i was reading it expecting you to relate it to how good the fg looks and lucky they didn't have anything to do with the design seeing as they can't even get a tax right.. but nope - it was just a full fledged rant... haha gold
zyweik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post