Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #121
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Default Re: FPV GT to be killed off early

I was just thinking, do you think that its a possibility that the FPV name may be dropped, but the return of the GT name under ford?? Cause lets be honest, FPV died when prodrive left, would make sense to make the very last GT a Ford GT.

Would also be very easy to confuse the media, and say that FPV will be dropped before 2014, and let them go wild like they have about the GT being finished with the FG mk11.
Old 17-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #122
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

If Ford want to keep the GT, they would/should have made a press release saying the speculation is incorrect.

Their silence on this matter to me equates to confirmation

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 17-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #123
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
If Ford want to keep the GT, they would/should have made a press release saying the speculation is incorrect.

Their silence on this matter to me equates to confirmation
Yes, and this is the same "strategy of silence" they gave to anyone who questioned the future of Ford's local manufacturing ops over the past 2 years. It is their established modus operandi.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 17-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #124
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Just like that F6E you wanted so badly and said you would buy... FPV built it for you and you go and buy a 35k ute!!

Maybe Ford should just lock the doors up today and forget about all this petty ********. They are just cars after all.

People aren't buying GT's now so what will change that in another 12 months...
Now i'm waiting for old mate in his AU falcon to go on about how ford should still produce cars here and he'd buy one ASAP. Same story every time. Those who complain the most don't even buy new falcons.
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Old 17-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #125
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Of the 1000-odd Falcons sold in June, how many of them were V8's and turbo 6's?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin

Last edited by flappist; 17-07-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: removing deleted quote
Old 17-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #126
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Of the 1000-odd Falcons sold in June, how many of them were V8's and turbo 6's?
Who knows, Ford don't supply data but you only have to see what stocks coming through (I have a friend at a dealership). Lots of XR6's for Rentals and government cars in QLD. QLD police just got a few truck loads of new XR6 Turbos.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Old 17-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #127
stang65
FPRJET

If they are going to kill off the GT come out with it instead of the crap they did with Ford leaving Australia. As for some of the forum experts when it comes to what Fords plans are they haven`t got a clue.

There are a few people on this forum who said Ford would not close and it was better not to let the opposition know their game plan that's why they kept silent and look what happen.
Old 17-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #128
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Who knows, Ford don't supply data but you only have to see what stocks coming through (I have a friend at a dealership). Lots of XR6's for Rentals and government cars in QLD. QLD police just got a few truck loads of new XR6 Turbos.
they also have lancers and santa fe's and Subaru liberty's too, really helps Australian car sales doesn't it
Old 17-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #129
ridzilla

Looks like I'm going to miss out on owning a GT!

This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #130
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Some of you need to settle down, throwing insults at each other does nothing to enhance the thread in any way.

Also these Elitist attitudes coming across where a person shouldn't comment because they never purchased a new or this particular model etc, needs to stop.
If only those who purchased new cars were supposed to pass there thoughts and comments on in these threads it would be an empty place.
Everyone has the right to post as long as it doesn't go outside our T/C.

Now lift the quality of discussion and stick to the topic or it will be closed.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
11 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #131
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_01 View Post
Cause lets be honest, FPV died when prodrive left, would make sense to make the very last GT a Ford GT.

Agreed. They can borrow my old badge for free if they need to make a casting mould.

Old 17-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #132
Rodge
Banned

Big response to a Drivel article, common guys its not like those journo's have a great reputation, hence their commonly used name. Do you really imagine they have an inside scoop on anything Their Holden HSV bias is the stuff of legend so maybe they're just trying to hand the VF a free lunch...we'll know more on August 13 so the point of further speculation at this stage is what exactly ???
Old 17-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #133
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Great way to make the 335 GT go out. Chuck the drive line in an XR8. Like they did when they put the BOSS 290 in the FG XR8. Takes some of the gloss off owning a GT now.
Old 17-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #134
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Ok so look how the US's bottom line is at the moment.....I cant believe for the sake of another few million they couldnt let it go out with a bang...it pails into insignificance with the financial and brand equity damage thats coming for them.

Mechanically the car will be good because it is good now...its issue at the moment is exactly what they wont be spending money on now.
For the sake of another few million? That's the sort of attitude that got GM and Ford in trouble in the first place!! Those days over, money is now spent VERY carefully and Ford is reaping the rewards.

The majority of the brand equity damage was done with the 2016 announcement. There's just not enough money in giving the GT the sort of send off you'd like (unfortunately) Once Mustang hits our shores most will accept or forget how the GT story was wrapped up, and new blood won't know/understand/be bothered by it.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #135
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Once Mustang hits our shores most will accept or forget how the GT story was wrapped up, and new blood won't know/understand/be bothered by it.
Very true.

In the late 70’s the diehard Holden fans were talking of committing Seppuku if Holden dumped the Kingswood for the Commodore.

It ended up being a bloodless change over. In the end, most Aussies didn’t give a fig.

4 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #136
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Exactly. This doesn't invalidate the opinions of enthusiasts who have cherished these cars over the years, however it's important to understand why things are happening the way they are. Irrespective of how the GT story ends, there's still 6-ish decades worth of shot cars and memories to cherish.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #137
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t get it, am I the only one who is exited to get a GT drivetrain in a 45 – 50K XR8 body???

As for FPV, that stoped as soon as Ford brought them back. After all the 2014 Falcon will no longer have 2 separate companies (teams) developing a car, it will be a single Ford team working on the whole range at once … the chances of getting different body panels or body kit for the GT (or whatever it will be called) is nil.
Old 17-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #138
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Unless they have the engines sitting around and they can't be sent anywhere else/sold/used in any other way, I can't see why they'd say "we ain't paying extra for spoilers and bumpers" but still put a V8 in. I'm half expecting there to be no V8 at all, and that the XR8 comment is just wishful thinking from the journo, who is probably one of the 'if you build it I might buy... if it is cheap... and if my current car blows up... and if I get a good tax return... and if my shares go up...' buyers. I say this not because I am de-valuing peoples' views, but I am one of these 'buyers'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Also these Elitist attitudes coming across where a person shouldn't comment because they never purchased a new or this particular model etc, needs to stop.
I have purchased a couple new cars - not Falcons, but other makes and models over the years. IMHO any of us who have parted with our hard-earned cash to buy a car - new or used - are qualified to comment on what we want in a car, or what we think will sell to us. I parted with some money to help this forum out so I expect to be able to have a comment here - and I certainly don't expect to be treated as less valuable/respected than new falcon buyers purely because I bought a new fiesta and a used falcon, rather than one new falcon that cost the same as both combined.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 17-07-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 17-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #139
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
For the sake of another few million? That's the sort of attitude that got GM and Ford in trouble in the first place!! Those days over, money is now spent VERY carefully and Ford is reaping the rewards.

The majority of the brand equity damage was done with the 2016 announcement. There's just not enough money in giving the GT the sort of send off you'd like (unfortunately) Once Mustang hits our shores most will accept or forget how the GT story was wrapped up, and new blood won't know/understand/be bothered by it.
This is an extreme case, Im well aware of all the costs involved but it would have been nice (yes romance has little to do with business decisions) for everything to be done right, not pull further costs out because its all to hard.

That is the attitude that has got Ford to this point, its all just to hard.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #140
XWGT