Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #121
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
There's some greenhouse offset growing the suger cane etc
Plus as I have said many times..
The money STAYS HERE !!!
Many acres of grain are ruined by rains at the wrong time which can be
used for fuel...
Fuel companies as far as I'm concerned the more compitition they get the better!!!
Very good points, particularly those bolded. The cane absorbs carbon, which is released when burnt. Additional competition to the petrol companies AND the money stays here in Australia. Not only that, the money also redistributes to regional areas!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #122
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Bit of a thread mine, but I dont see a point in starting another thread on the subject.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/70035/et...ol-the-basics/
I think from the motoring enthusiast point of view the key point is in the last paragraph. With the correct mods (eg engine build with higher compression or more boost) the energy difference can be addressed and as a result the fuel consumption too.

Then we may be able to run high performance engines with less environmental impact and greater opportunity to meet stringent EPA regulations, all while paying less money per litre.

Yes ethanol in a car not designed for it does not really achieve much, but in the right engine it is not totally flogging a dead horse. I lot like in the sixties, running super in a car built for standard did not get the full potential out of the new fuel.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #123
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Very good points, particularly those bolded. The cane absorbs carbon, which is released when burnt. Additional competition to the petrol companies AND the money stays here in Australia. Not only that, the money also redistributes to regional areas!
Exactly!

My parents are wheat farmers with 20,000 acres. I know on more than the odd year they could have planted more and grown more if it was worth more to cover the expense of putting it in the ground (some years they only planted for seed). I know there have been years that the wheat price did not cover the cost of growing it.

Supply and demand, more demand due to use in fuels consumes more of the supply, increasing the income for the producers. The difference is these producers live in australia, they are consumers of australian products and services and paying australian taxes.

All this instead of the producer being a middle-eastern oil tycoon buying his spoilt brat 18 year old son another Ferrari or himself a gold plated veyron to look good in the foyer of one of his 18 mansions.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #124
Mz Revvv Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
I thought that too, until I walked past a new United the other day with E85 signs out the front
I use it in the X6 & it's great ...
Then I also use my Friends of the Cerberus card, which I like to help with

I find the XR runs soooooo much better on the E85, without a doubt ...

Had to use shell the other day tho & omg it's rough as, shakes, stalls etc

And another good thing is I don't have to spend $30 to get fuel cheaper,
Because it's always cheaper than any where else ;)
Mz Revvv Head is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #125
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Revvv Head

I didn't think falcons can run on E85 yet?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #126
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So we deploy all these ethanol plants and service stations all over Australia.

Most if not all of the new cars run this new fuel and although they use more of it than they would petrol that is not a problem as we have huge areas to grow cane and wheat etc. so we become almost independent from the rest of the world.

The government and the greenie loonies crow and dance on how they have done such an amazing world leading feat.

Its all renewable. It just takes sunshine, soil and water.

Lucky we live in a country that has huge amounts of sunshine, vast areas of soil, AND NO SHORTAGE OF WATER........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #127
burnz
VFII SS UTE

now now, play nice flappist.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #128
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Revvv Head

Totally differnent octane numbers. E85 is well over 100. Your ECU will take a while to adjust to the lower Octane. Watch your fuel filter - it is not very compatible with E85.......

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #129
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So we deploy all these ethanol plants and service stations all over Australia.

Most if not all of the new cars run this new fuel and although they use more of it than they would petrol that is not a problem as we have huge areas to grow cane and wheat etc. so we become almost independent from the rest of the world.

The government and the greenie loonies crow and dance on how they have done such an amazing world leading feat.

Its all renewable. It just takes sunshine, soil and water.

Lucky we live in a country that has huge amounts of sunshine, vast areas of soil, AND NO SHORTAGE OF WATER........
We already have petrol stations.. Where there is water yes...
Why be negative...??? Plenty of water in tropical areas of Australia...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #130
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I for one can't wait until ethanol is one of the main stay fuel options in this country. I don't go in for all this ethanol scare mongering. The whole argument about government and greenie propaganda is just the flip-side to Oil company propaganda, and Oil companies have had years to hone that baby.

I don't buy this whole " the world is going to run out of food bit either". Food production on this planet is controlled by big business and governments. People starve in this world already and it has nothing to do with lack of land for farming, its political and business driven. Will be no different when Ethanol becomes one of our energy sources into the future.

It would be a good thing to have an industry based around a renewable resource, Something fossil fuels cannot compete with. The infrastructure is basically in place. I.E. We already store and transport energy as a liquid, and farming is a no brainer for this Country. Water is an issue but not an insurmountable one. If anything Ethanol has the potential to kick start a rural base economy.

In the right application it makes heaps of power, as long as the sun is shinning its a renewable industry, and gives many countries autonomy with regard to energy. For the life of me I don't know what all the fuss is about.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #131
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Bit of a thread mine, but I dont see a point in starting another thread on the subject.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/70035/et...ol-the-basics/
So basically unless your car's engine has been designed to run on it, using E85 in mainstream cars is a waste of money. It's probably about as useful and only appeals to folk who need a racing fuel.

Wondered why most servo's aren't rolling E85 out? The cost of upgrading fuel storage and delivery systems is HUGE!!!!

Roll it out I say, it will guarantee I will have work for the next 5-10 years in the fuel industry.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #132
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

As was said many posts ago, the fuel is application specific and is not a "one cap fits all" answer.

If you dont see a need for it, you havent been trying hard enough.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #133
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
We already have petrol stations.. Where there is water yes...
Why be negative...??? Plenty of water in tropical areas of Australia...
I am just giving a realistic view.

The tropical areas of Australia are mostly NOT the areas that have good soil.
Look where all the farming is done. And even then we have had drought there over the last 10 years.

There was a paper recently released that showed that if all of the cane and cereals grown in Australia were converted to ethanol it would only provide 0.4% of the fuel needed.

So we would have to increase the farming area by 250 times just to use ALL of it for fuel let alone ant food production for domestic or export consumption.

Of course if all V8s and turbo 6s were banned and confiscated then our fuel needs would drop significantly but I suspect that would not be a popular idea on here.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #134
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

E85 was originally a bit of a scam for manufacturers to meet CAFE regulations in the USA,
if engines were made Flex Fuel to take either fuel then they were given a bonus for the change
in fuel economy on E85 which was assumed to be 100% of the time.

You achieve much more by making petrol engines more efficient and by using LPG and diesels where suitable.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #135
Dodge
i like to be stroked

u think the oil companies are ripping us, what do u think the cost of sugar cain is worth?
methanol fuel should be cheap as chips
Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #136
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
u think the oil companies are ripping us, what do u think the cost of sugar cain is worth?
methanol fuel should be cheap as chips
Um, it's Ethanol.
Methanol is made from natural gas, we have heaps of that too....

But you are right, Bagass powered boilers supply the mills with power to crush
and boil the sugar cane to make sugar and molasses. Ethanol is them made by
brewing the alcohol in a bio still, the same as other alcohols...

Just be glad your car doesn't run on Bourbon, Scotch or Rum.
A man would go broke feeding that addiction...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #137
Judgie
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Great post, so many have blinkers on and allow themselves to be herded by the media.

E85 is not a "one size fits all application", the fuel has its uses and as it currently stands petroleum is easier to access and more readily available to the western world......... but everybody here knows what "peak oil" is right?

Daniel
Not necessarily "easier" though. More and more often, companies are turning to deep water discoveries, which brings in a new hotbed of issues and problems, with extreme pressures, temperatures, seabed and crust geology. The same issues that have been plaguing BP, first with finding, exploring and drilling the Deepwater Horizon well, and now their attempts at capping it.

We do what we have to do to meet our energy needs. Sometimes we make mistakes.

As for peakoil, the world will keep on turning, and humanity will find a way. (disregarding the small potential to ****** it all up royally).
Judgie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #138
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I am just giving a realistic view.

The tropical areas of Australia are mostly NOT the areas that have good soil.
Look where all the farming is done. And even then we have had drought there over the last 10 years.

There was a paper recently released that showed that if all of the cane and cereals grown in Australia were converted to ethanol it would only provide 0.4% of the fuel needed.

So we would have to increase the farming area by 250 times just to use ALL of it for fuel let alone ant food production for domestic or export consumption.

Of course if all V8s and turbo 6s were banned and confiscated then our fuel needs would drop significantly but I suspect that would not be a popular idea on here.....
Yea MOST of it is made by biproduct of suger /beer etc.. They keep making the stuff and I doubt there's too much more grown specifially for it...
If it puts the price of food up?? Then Woolworths and Co will have to pay more for it... yes the customer will pay more suposidly for food ?? But who cares for a change the aussie farmer is able to diversify and make some money...
There's been some political b/s about diffrent fuels along with oil companies putting some spin on it too... The best place to make this stuff is jail.. They can make it from potatoe peelings.. Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post