Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 26-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #14131
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

NSW now has two classes of citizens that have different rules. That’s a big ****ing yikes. What could go wrong.
This has nothing to do with being antivax, my wife is in the second highest priority category for a vaccine and won’t be able to be fully vaccinated until October.
This state is a ****ing jokes and that’s what you get for voting for this party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

Extra freedoms will be given to double vaxxed individuals and families. From mid Sept, limited group gatherings will be permitted for the vaxxed. It sounds good in theory, but will be facinating to see how it is enforced. "Papers please" every time police see a group gathering?
Don’t be silly, nsw police would never say please. That’s not a part of their vocabulary. The totalitarian fans will be frothing at the mouth after hearing this news.

“Halt citizen. I demand to see your papers immediately”
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #14132
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Needed to travel outside our 5km radius earlier this week (West Gippsland to Rowville about 70 km) so SWMBO could see her retinal surgeon (After 7 years post eye op the opthalmologist detected some retinal swelling - again - bugger!) and given the distance I expected to be stopped and asked about our activities. Did not see a single example of a check and no patrolling police cars - very surprised.

Might be that Mr Plod is too busy checking that homes that ought to be occupied actually are.

But the frequent lack of the word "Fully" in front of the word "vaccinated" when talking about 70% and 80% triggers of "more freedoms" is a bit concerning.

Especially when I feel it is unlikely that the first figure will be reached before the end of October assuming adequate supplies of vaccine. In fact anyone getting an AZ shot next week will not be fully vaccinated until the end of November if the 12 week separation between doses is followed.

I can see a lot of single shot people will be out and about once the bar chart of single doses received reach the 70% mark. At that point I expect lots of social media posts about being pinged when "I'm vaccinated so I can do what I want" occurs.

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 26-08-2021 at 05:52 PM. Reason: minor grammatical change
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #14133
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
“Halt citizen. I demand to see your papers immediately”
“Minutku, tovarishch” per the KGB.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #14134
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Needed to travel outside our 5km radius earlier this week (West Gippsland to Rowville about 70 km) so SWMBO could see her retinal surgeon (After 7 years post eye op the opthalmologist detected some retinal swelling - again - bugger!) and given the distance I expected to be stopped and asked about our activities. Did not see a single example of a check and no patrolling police cars - very surprised.

Might be that Mr Plod is too busy checking that homes that ought to be occupied actually are.......
This was the point I tried to make earlier, pollies can set the rules but the cops can, and often does, exercise discretion how its enforced. And in my experience its been quite lax unless you are fragrantly seen to be breaking the rules.

I do probably 3-4 return trips beyond the 5km limit a week for valid reasons, see few cops on patrol but never been randomly stopped. Likewise, quite a few colleagues at work have permits and they mentioned that they have never been randomly stopped. If you had a car load of people in the back it may be a different story.

A mate was stopped last week for speeding. He reckons he was about 8kms from home. Cops checked his license, gave him an infringement notice, but they never asked for a reason why he was beyond 5kms. He was going home after being vaxxed so he would have been ok anyway.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 26-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #14135
zilo
BANNED

Don't get sick in western sydney anytime soon.

Just got word Westmead is about to become a dedicated Covid hospital.

Full hazmat for all staff being fitted up now.

It is going to hit the fan real soon is the word.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #14136
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

An autocorrect that’s on the nose. Made me literally LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3
…And in my experience its been quite lax unless you are fragrantly seen to be breaking the rules.
I’ll shortly be shopping a huge 300m outside my 5km radius. Quieter store branch with more fresh air around it.
6 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #14137
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Don't get sick in western sydney anytime soon.

Just got word Westmead is about to become a dedicated Covid hospital.

Full hazmat for all staff being fitted up now.

It is going to hit the fan real soon is the word.

Plenty of hospitals in Sydney.
Better off them taking one or two off-line and making them dedicated Covid hospitals instead of having covid wards in each different hospital and there beings leaks etc.
It's Blacktown hospital that's having tents etc being setup out the front.
Old 26-08-2021, 08:24 PM   #14138
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
An autocorrect that’s on the nose. Made me literally LOL.

I’ll shortly be shopping a huge 300m outside my 5km radius. Quieter store branch with more fresh air around it.
Lol eating and typing. Eating more important.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #14139
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #14140
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

The r key is right next to the l key when your right hand has food in it!
Old 26-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #14141
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
“Minutku, tovarishch” per the KGB.
Australian Federal Police...." now give me all ya drugs "

Cheers Billy
Old 26-08-2021, 09:54 PM   #14142
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Victoria bringing in doctors and nurses from overseas now.
Hope none are relatives of Jayant Patel.........
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 10:12 PM   #14143
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quick question. Construction is considered essential so can a potential new client meet with a potential builder on site on the vacant block under the current restrictions? The client owns the block in regional NSW and obviously no one lives there currently. Is it possible to meet with social distancing and masks, meeting out in the open?

The NSW Government website isn't clear on meetings between builders and clients. It just says building can continue with the listed restrictions.
Old 26-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #14144
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Prelims are construction work IMO.

Masks and distances apply, I’d try to keep it focused so no arriving with a coffee or anything like that.
Old 27-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #14145
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Mad Dog getting his nose outa joint with Qantas.....

Qantas could move direct flights to London from Perth to Darwin but WA Premier says its 'outrageous'

https://www.9news.com.au/national/qa...-darwin_260821

Quote:
Western Australia's Premier has labelled a suggestion to move its non-stop Perth to London flights to Darwin as "outrageous".

Qantas says it is considering relocating the flights once international borders reopen due to WA's hardline border policy.

But Mark McGowan has criticised the potential change, arguing a terminal at Perth Airport had been upgraded to secure the flights at a cost of $15 million.

Qantas expects its direct flights from Australia to the UK to be in high demand once international travel is allowed.

The flight time from Perth to London, or Darwin to London, is comparable and that route is now being looked at.

"The airline is investigating using Darwin as a transit point, which has been Qantas' main entry for repatriation flights, as an alternative – or in addition – to its existing Perth hub given conservative border policies in Western Australia," Qantas said in a statement.

But Mr McGowan said his state was being "punished" for its tough stance in keeping COVID-19 out.

"All of the income we produce ... the revenue we produce for the Commonwealth government is keeping Australia alive, we shouldn't be punished for that," Mr McGowan said yesterday.

"All I'd say to Qantas ... as a state, we funded the Perth-London flights.

"We put in place $15 million worth of improvement at the terminal. [Qantas] need to show some understanding and perhaps some gratitude to what the state government has done."

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce says the carrier was ready to launch international flights once vaccination rates in Australia reach 80 per cent, due to happen in December.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 27-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #14146
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post

Qantas could move direct flights to London from Perth to Darwin but WA Premier says its 'outrageous'

So what is he saying

Qantas has to use Perth, but you can't because we won't let you in???
Old 27-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #14147
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Another 79 cases for Vic today.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 27-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #14148
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Just wants something to complain about, they don't own the Airport.
Old 27-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #14149
slowsnake
Banned

Why not use Perth for departures, so we send nice clean virus free passengers to London, and on the return all flights to Darwin where they unload the UK virus and its Delta variant in the NT, perfect idea

Cheers Billy
Old 27-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #14150
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Just wants something to complain about, they don't own the Airport.
His paranoia is starting to glow brightly....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #14151
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
So what is he saying

Qantas has to use Perth, but you can't because we won't let you in???
Lol....a WA lady friend just said he's only upset because he will miss out on plane loads of people he can lock up in Quarantine for 14 days and collect $$$.

She didn't say it so politely though

3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #14152
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

When are WA digging the moat? Or building the wall? It will be like Berlin, full of vitality right up to the barrier one side - and then a militarised wasteland across the way.

I totally get pragmatic concern and a desire to balance reactions in the face of conflicting models - but it’s another level to encourage shapeless fear, or to see disease as a cash cow.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #14153
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
You are in the wrong business Russ, can you send this to the Doherty Institute? I think they need a hand!!
Well, let's see who's modelling is better, Russ's or the University of Sydney's :

The worst is yet to come': NSW could hit 6,000 cases a day by October, study finds
New research shows that under the current settings, daily COVID-19 case numbers will continue to climb and could peak between 1,500 and 6,000 a day by early October.

The University of Sydney has used complex modelling to forecast the trajectory of the latest outbreak, factoring in the high infectiousness of the Delta variant, current lockdown settings and the progress of the vaccine rollout.

Using data available up until August 25, it found that if restrictions were fully lifted when 80 per cent of adults were vaccinated, infections could surge to 40,000 cases a day.

The modelling showed that in the following month, half a million people could become infected with the virus, even with continued testing, tracing, isolation, quarantine and international travel restrictions.

The stark figure supports the NSW Premier and Chief Health Officer's decision to keep some restrictions in place even after the 80 per cent vaccination threshold is reached.

While Gladys Berejiklian hasn't outlined exactly which restrictions will stay, Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant earlier this week flagged that mask wearing might remain "for years" to battle COVID-19.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 27-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #14154
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
When are WA digging the moat?

Old 27-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #14155
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
NSW now has two classes of citizens that have different rules. This has nothing to do with being antivax, my wife is in the second highest priority category for a vaccine and won’t be able to be fully vaccinated until October.
I see this as being the bigger issue. Until very recently those being given AZ were quite rightly given a 12 week gap between doses as per the WHO recommendations so for many it will be October / November before they complete that window and that's no fault of their own.

I know ATAGI has said that those waiting periods can be reduced to 4-8 weeks in areas where there are outbreaks (like Western Sydney) as they, or their political masters, have decided that the drop in efficacy is better than not having the second dose.

Frankly, I don't agree with their logic. The data used in the media release by ATAGI which is only based on the earlier Alpha strain shows that efficacy for AZ, which is already lower than Pfizer, drops significantly the earlier the 2nd dose is administered.

I've added the @ 1st dose and 2 weeks after the 12 week dose figures to the chart which is below:

.. and on that basis, I'm doing my full 12 week wait thanks.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #14156
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Well, let's see who's modelling is better, Russ's or the University of Sydney's :

The worst is yet to come': NSW could hit 6,000 cases a day by October, study finds
New research shows that under the current settings, daily COVID-19 case numbers will continue to climb and could peak between 1,500 and 6,000 a day by early October.
I certainly wouldn't suggest that I can do better than either of those organisation as they have more resources than I do and smarter people. What I can reiterate is that there are simply TOO MANY VARIABLES for even reasonably accurate modelling beyond the next 10 days.

I can extend my model out to early October based on the current growth rates and that shows 6k cases / day at the end of that period and 2k cases being passed on Day 61 (today is day 50); 3,000 on Day 68 etc. etc. but it's really nonsense because it could be much worse if we see a case explosion like the UK/Florida/Israel had after easing restrictions or much better if we start to get a grip on it.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 27-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #14157
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Lol....a WA lady friend just said he's only upset because he will miss out on plane loads of people he can lock up in Quarantine for 14 days and collect $$$.

She didn't say it so politely though
Got this online WA TODAY website dated 31st May 2021, too long to upload.Below is my wording.

I was of the impression that private security companies do all the quarantine arrangements, Healthcare Australia is a private logistics company being used in NSW and Victoria at present, same mob is going to run it in Perth too.

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 27-08-2021 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Add source
Old 27-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #14158
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I certainly wouldn't suggest that I can do better than either of those organisation as they have more resources than I do and smarter people. What I can reiterate is that there are simply TOO MANY VARIABLES for even reasonably accurate modelling beyond the next 10 days.

I can extend my model out to early October based on the current growth rates and that shows 6k cases / day at the end of that period and 2k cases being passed on Day 61 (today is day 50); 3,000 on Day 68 etc. etc. but it's really nonsense because it could be much worse if we see a case explosion like the UK/Florida/Israel had after easing restrictions or much better if we start to get a grip on it.

Don't underestimate yourself mate, I check your stats and graphs twice a day here, they are the equivalent or better than anything on the TV or in newspapers!
Don't sell yourself short, what you do is excellent and time consuming

Cheers Billy.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #14159
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
.. and on that basis, I'm doing my full 12 week wait thanks.
I asked if it could wait longer than twelve weeks (which your attached chart supports), that was just before vaccination became much more accessible and I felt it was more important others got a first dose - the GP didn’t feel inclined to take that route.
Old 27-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #14160
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Victoria bringing in doctors and nurses from overseas now.
This has got me worried. Vic only has 36 people in hospital for Covid, but the current way they "furlough" has us already having issues. What are they doing compared to every other 1st world system?

How in the world will the Vic system work when we have 20 times more people in hospital?

Also - where are we getting the medical professionals from? Other countries bar New Zealand all have significantly more cases in hospital than that - how can they spare staff?

Last edited by tweeked; 27-08-2021 at 12:04 PM.
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread