The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #1171
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Rang local Toyota dealer. Now, depending on colour and transmission and spec choice the waiting list varies from (at best) 18 months to more than 24 months.....

So $42K and 2 year wait - there's plenty of much quicker cars out there for that price that you can have in your driveway in a few weeks.
So should they pull it off the market because its selling so well?
Its not Toyotas Fault its so popular
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 23-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #1172
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all these inflated prices and long waiting lists are killing my plans of getting my hands on my mother in laws in a couple of years for a cheap price and whacking a turbo on it... grr..

as a side note, the turbo car that castle hill exhaust did ran a 13.1@107 mph! with the owner driving the car, not the shop or pro driver.
Old 23-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #1173
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
So should they pull it off the market because its selling so well?
Its not Toyotas Fault its so popular
I'm sorry, but where did I say Toyota should pull the car from the market? Exactly.

All I've done is highlighted that there is a long wait for a car that actually costs $42K plus (or you can have one now if you're prepared to pay $50K plus, just look at carsales.) I've also provided evidence that the car hasn't had universal praise. Good luck to Toyota and Subaru... There are car companies out there who would kill to have such a sales success.
Old 24-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #1174
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
So now it's 42k, a 2 year wait and it's not any faster. Toyota have really got a sucker fan base.
Could not agree more

Are people buying it because of the price or other?

In 2 years near EVERY other brand will have a reply to it, enjoy your time BigT, IT WONT LAST, we have seen this buyer worship before. [SS Utes, Mazda MX5, Golf/Polo Gti]

A V6 base Mustang which is cheaper will be a better vehicle 95% of the time...it has T O R Q U E !Its cheaper and quicker too

How hard would it be to buy a base Mustang and NOT tick the ~$5k extra "V8" box....near impossible if you have leaded fuel in your veins!
Old 24-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #1175
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
How hard would it be to buy a base Mustang and NOT tick the ~$5k extra "V8" box....near impossible if you have leaded fuel in your veins!
A lot harder if you also have to tick the 20,000+ left hand conversion
Old 24-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #1176
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
I'm sorry, but where did I say Toyota should pull the car from the market? Exactly.

All I've done is highlighted that there is a long wait for a car that actually costs $42K plus (or you can have one now if you're prepared to pay $50K plus, just look at carsales.) I've also provided evidence that the car hasn't had universal praise. Good luck to Toyota and Subaru... There are car companies out there who would kill to have such a sales success.
Then what are you going on about? god sakes you even called the dealership
Old 24-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #1177
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
In 2 years near EVERY other brand will have a reply to it, enjoy your time BigT, IT WONT LAST, we have seen this buyer worship before. [SS Utes, Mazda MX5, Golf/Polo Gti]
??? so you think its good now
Old 24-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #1178
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This all happened in the USA back when the first "Miata" (Mazda MX5) came out...waiting lists were astronomical, and people were driving huge distances to little country dealerships trying to get one.
Then they started putting down a deposit, and selling their place on the list to people...not the actual car, just the papers saying they had one on order. It was crazy for a while there with prices dramatically jumping. People would pick up their new car, and immediately offer it for sale for up to double the price...and they'd have buyer knocking thier door down.

...can't blame them though...the MX5 is and always has been a sweet bit of kit that like the new 86 has resisted the "power is all a car needs and all that is important in the driving experience, full stop" philosophy...
Old 24-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #1179
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So everyone got one yet??? a few days ago my mate smoked an 86 in his bucket of bolts GTST which he got for like $8k … and yes the guy in the 86 tried really really hard but trying hard is all the 86 is good for aint it
Old 24-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #1180
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
So everyone got one yet??? a few days ago my mate smoked an 86 in his bucket of bolts GTST which he got for like $8k … and yes the guy in the 86 tried really really hard but trying hard is all the 86 is good for aint it
cool story bro
Old 24-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #1181
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Sooooooo ...... after 1100 posts and lots of chest beating, can someone give me a wrap up on why this car ..... which looks nice but so does so many others that are cheaper and on paper, better ..... is so popular? By what I have read elsewhere and a little in here, it seems to be over hyped and underdone ..... but that just might be an ill informed perception on my part!

Thanks .........

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #1182
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

"Overhyped and underdone.." you've got it in one.
Old 24-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #1183
nstg8a

while i kinda agree on the over hyped part, i certainly dont agree with under done.

to me its a return to basic no frills good handling rwd cars.

of course its going to get 'smoked' by a turbo skyline... but straight line speed isnt the point of this car. the last 40 pages have been all about some getting that point, and some not getting it.

would it be better if it was faster? yes of course, to a point. if it increases the weight and or cost then it makes it just like every other over weight over priced pseudo sportscar on the market.
Old 24-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #1184
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
while i kinda agree on the over hyped part, i certainly dont agree with under done.

to me its a return to basic no frills good handling rwd cars.

of course its going to get 'smoked' by a turbo skyline... but straight line speed isnt the point of this car. the last 40 pages have been all about some getting that point, and some not getting it.

would it be better if it was faster? yes of course, to a point. if it increases the weight and or cost then it makes it just like every other over weight over priced pseudo sportscar on the market.
Well put. Agree on the highlighted 100%.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #1185
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Toyota have done what many have failed, create something basic.

I can't recall anyone talking it up as a car that will decimate all, but a good well balanced chassis, in a time where FWD and electronic gizmos seem to overflow the cheaper end of the sports market.

Sure there are faster cars out there (and there will always be, regardless what you spend) and your mates busted arse skyline might win a silly traffic light war...but if thats all you care about, then really this aint't your car...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 24-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #1186
The Monty
Just slidin'

The car mustnt be so bad if we have all spent 40 pages going on about it. And if people thought it was as bad as they say, they would stop coming in and having to read the articles about people who like it (yet to see one bad one yet).
Old 24-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #1187
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates silly skyline rides on coilovers, adjustable swaybars, and has a real mechanical diff, plus a number of other bits ... its was purchased to be a cheap and silly car to be used for track days for 5k with a few k's spent on it (about 8k total so far ...) ... it will eat an 86 in the corners like there is no tomorrow and in a straight line there is no even contest ... and yes it is funny how this old bucket of bolts will be far more fun and enjoyable to trash the living hell out of on a race track than the 86 because the owner will not care if it breaks of smashes ...

The point is that people who want cheap track cars buy second hand and modify ... nobody tries to go and buy a new "cheap" sports car to be used on a track ... its just plain stupid ... and the 86 is the perfect example of hype over any real substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Sure there are faster cars out there (and there will always be, regardless what you spend) and your mates busted arse skyline might win a silly traffic light war...but if thats all you care about, then really this aint't your car...
Old 24-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #1188
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My mates silly skyline rides on coilovers, adjustable swaybars, and has a real mechanical diff, plus a number of other bits ... its was purchased to be a cheap and silly car to be used for track days for 5k with a few k's spent on it (about 8k total so far ...) ... it will eat an 86 in the corners like there is no tomorrow and in a straight line there is no even contest ... and yes it is funny how this old bucket of bolts will be far more fun and enjoyable to trash the living hell out of on a race track than the 86 because the owner will not care if it breaks of smashes ...

The point is that people who want cheap track cars buy second hand and modify ... nobody tries to go and buy a new "cheap" sports car to be used on a track ... its just plain stupid ... and the 86 is the perfect example of hype over any real substance.
I could do the same with my car and it would be faster then your mates skyline..... That's not the point of the 86.

Do you realise what the starting price of a GTST brand new would been when it was built? Those fast cars that can be modified need to come from somewhere......

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
Old 24-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #1189
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

That is fair enough for you (or your mate) ...... but not for most I would say as I would hazard a guess that the absolute majority wouldn't buy cars just for the track>?

I could have got an AU, turboed it, blow the tits off most things at the lights and won green light races maintaining a hero status to my mates when ever I wanted ...... but chose to spend 5 times more to get a GT 335 because that is what I wanted. My Mrs has a 318i BMW ..... couldn't pull skin off custard but that is what she wanted. I wouldn't dare telling her she is stupid for her choice and wouldn't tell others in here the same. There is a point in there somewhere .........

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #1190
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Wow cool story....
So i guess you own one and therefore can comment then?
I might go get my mates RS Focus and let it show your mates Datto a clean set of heals eh? My argument is about as valid as what you posted.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 24-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #1191
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I cant believe some of these comments are not deleted..and after 40 odd pages.

If you dont like it, or cant get your head around it then just dont click on the thread..really simple. If Ford made this everyone would be jumping for joy.

You cant deny, whether its hype or not, that it has been popular..its selling well and thats the whole point. Let it go...

I mean seriously...comparing a new car to a bunger grey import...really?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Auslandau; 24-08-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Don't delete opinions that differ from others .... even if that opinion is from left field.
Old 24-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #1192
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Sooooooo ...... after 1100 posts and lots of chest beating, can someone give me a wrap up on why this car ..... which looks nice but so does so many others that are cheaper and on paper, better ..... is so popular? By what I have read elsewhere and a little in here, it seems to be over hyped and underdone ..... but that just might be an ill informed perception on my part!

Thanks .........
The point of this post by the way was not to put the 86 down but for 2 other reasons .....

1, I just wanted a basic wrap up on what the 86 is all about because,

2, The thread was getting all weird and wanted it back on track as at a quick glance couldn't understand what the fuss was all about.

It only took a couple of posts later to realise that the 86 does fill a niche in the market quite well.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #1193
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

The point is that people who want cheap track cars buy second hand and modify ... nobody tries to go and buy a new "cheap" sports car to be used on a track ... its just plain stupid ...
Lol at not buying new sports cars for track use...

oh jesus....man....

I guess that's why you never see evo's, WRX's GT-R's GTi's etc at targa events then...(all are cheap...compared to Porsches and lambos)

What was a price of a R32 (im guessing) GTS-T new? $40-50k?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 24-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #1194
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

oh jesus....man....

I guess that's why you never see evo's, WRX's GT-R's GTi's etc at targa events then...(all are cheap...compared to Porsches and lambos)

R32 doesn't exist anymore. It is just the R, and is a 2.0T not the 3.2 V6.
Old 24-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #1195
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
R32 doesn't exist anymore. It is just the R, and is a 2.0T not the 3.2 V6.
i believe nikked is referring to the skyline r32 not the golf r32...
Old 24-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #1196
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau

Thanks .........
I think its popularity is soley down to it being a fashion statement.

I'd absolutely gaurantee that just about everyone who has bought one would not even know what vehicle dynamics are, and couldn't care less. They would just like it because its cheap and they think its cool.

And I think its a bit rich people reffering to it as a track car when its as slow as a wet week and couldn't cut a good lap time to save its life. Even an Ecoboost XT auto can smoke it around a track, and as some have mentioned its got an inferior power to weight ratio compared to the 86. So obviously its handling does not translate to any form of corner speed, so what exactly was the point of this thing, as the light weight and good dynamics don't mean jack on a track.

Confusing what its even supposed to be.

Everyday car- too torqueless and impracticle being a 2 door
Track car- too slow, no grip from Prius tyres, weak brakes (worst 100-0 braking distances on BFYB ).
Performance car- too slow

The only area where it might be ok is as a sunday car to take for a drive down a twisty road. But there's heaps of cars that can do this, and be good enough to drive everyday ie. Renault Sport 265, Focus ST etc.
Old 24-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #1197
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

oh jesus....man....

The only R32s sold in Australia were about $110k and at the same time a GT Falcon was $62K and a HSV GTS was $56k
Old 24-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #1198
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The people who buy GTRs / Evos / Ets new and go race them in Targa have a lot more money than the people who buy an 86 in general .... modding these cars is not cheap either.

The original GTST was priced like the 200sx in japan and as you know it was a 40k car just like the 86 GTS ...

Quote:

oh jesus....man....

Old 24-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #1199
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually the point of the 86 is to be a cheap sports car than can be easily modified ... that's exactly what the skyline (GTSTs) and the 200sx where ...

As for your car, is that the 1JZ soarer in your sig? I had one back in 2002 that was mildly moded ... fun cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sleeper
I could do the same with my car and it would be faster then your mates skyline..... That's not the point of the 86.

Do you realise what the starting price of a GTST brand new would been when it was built? Those fast cars that can be modified need to come from somewhere......
Old 24-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #1200
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Everyday car- too torqueless and impracticle being a 2 door
Track car- too slow, no grip from Prius tyres, weak brakes (worst 100-0 braking distances on BFYB ).
Performance car- too slow

The only area where it might be ok is as a sunday car to take for a drive down a twisty road. But there's heaps of cars that can do this, and be good enough to drive everyday ie. Renault Sport 265, Focus ST etc.
How much of that bad braking performance and slow corner speed is due to the tyres.

Replace the tyres with something a bit more sticky and I get the feeling it would be a much different story on a tight track.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Closed Thread